PDA

View Full Version : My computer only works in Safe Mode now.

Jessweeee♪
08-21-2008, 02:36 AM
If I start it up normally, it becomes unresponsive after about 5 minutes. Absolutely everything but the mouse is frozen, and the mouse doesn't change to like "busy" or anything, only moves around. It happens suddenly, I'll be browsing the internets SUPER FAST no problems, then BAM brick wall.

It did this last winter, and eventually the screen wouldn't even come up. We sent it in to a shop, and they said they couldn't figure out what was wrong. We shipped it to someplace in Kentucky and it came back working perfectly, but they didn't tell us what was wrong with it or what they did to get it to work.

I am at a complete loss here, any ideas?

EDIT:

THIS IS SO ANNOYING >.<

My browser closes every two minutes because my mouse just flies to the corner of the screen when I click something!

Flying Mullet
08-21-2008, 01:51 PM
I would call that place in Kentucky and find out what they did to fix it. Any reputable repair shop will explain what they did to fix it. Also, the purpose of safe mode is to be able to run your computer at a "bare-bones" configuration so that you can back out any changes you've recently made to your computer, i.e. revert it to a working state. It sounds like this problem is old now, but do you remember putting any programs on your machine or making any changes right before this behavior started? If so, that's what you should be trying to revert when you start it in safe mode to see if you can restore your machine to all of its former glory! :)

rubah
08-21-2008, 05:47 PM
try rolling back your drivers? :o

Jessweeee♪
08-23-2008, 03:23 AM
False alarm, everything's okie dokie!

Thanks anyway xD

Jessweeee♪
09-09-2008, 03:05 AM
Everything is NOT okie dokie! My laptop died same as before ;_;!
The Kentucky people can't tell us anything :(

I'm stuck with the Wii now ._.

Serapy
09-09-2008, 03:17 AM
Are you using any USB device for your laptop?

Jessweeee♪
09-09-2008, 04:05 AM
Nope :(

Serapy
09-09-2008, 04:32 AM
Oh, hmm. Sometimes when I use a USB device for my laptop, it just went crazy too.

Errr, do you remember what have you done before the problem started happening? What programs did you install? Did you change something?
If you feel otherwise, you probably have no choice but to do a full re-format. If the same problem occurs after the re-format, then it must be your laptop's hardware that is causing the problem. =/

Mr. Chomps
09-11-2008, 07:33 PM
I think you'll have to do one of those horrible big re-install Windows type things.

:(

Jessweeee♪
09-11-2008, 10:24 PM
...but I don't wanna ;_;

Markus. D
09-11-2008, 11:29 PM
Re-format :(

C'mon Jesse dewd, y'must

Mirage
09-11-2008, 11:36 PM
Back up your stuff, and reset it to factory settings. If that doesn't fix it, I hope it's still under warranty.

Jessweeee♪
09-12-2008, 12:56 AM
I am 100% sure that this is a hardware problem that won't be solved that way x.x

I can't even open the disc drive.us

Jessweeee♪
09-17-2008, 07:21 PM
The motherboard needs to be replaced. They say there's no way I can keep my harddrive files, too ;_;

rubah
09-17-2008, 07:25 PM
why does a mobo have anything to do with a harddrive? Call them out on their lies, jesse!

o_O
09-18-2008, 12:20 AM
Replacing the motherboard means Windows will have to be reinstalled (unless it's the same model of motherboard), but there's no reason they can't back up your files from your hard drive. As long as you let them know exactly which files and folders to keep they can't tell you that they can't be backed up. :p

Mirage
09-18-2008, 06:34 AM
If it's a warranty repair, I don't see how they would replace the motherboard with anything other than the same model. Besides, I've had cases where Windows manages to boot after replacing the motherboard with a different model.

As said before, they're lying if they say there's no way to get your data before they reinstall. As long as the hard drive isn't broken, it is always possible.

If they claim not to be lying, the only other option is that they're very incompetent.

Jessweeee♪
09-18-2008, 06:09 PM
We're thinking we might send it to the magic Kentucky people that fixed it before. I'm assuming that the motherboard was the problem the last time, too, and if that's the case, then they must've just replaced it. And it fried again. In a matter of months! Do I really want another bad motherboard?