PDA

View Full Version : What's Yahoo! Complaining About Now?

Yar
08-21-2008, 07:29 AM
New game enemy takes a solid day to defeat - Video Game Feature - Yahoo! Video Games (http://videogames.yahoo.com/feature/new-game-enemy-takes-a-solid-day-to-defeat/1238418)

I'm no where near this in the game, but if some enemies take days to defeat, I think I'll cancel my subscription soon. ;)

Flying Mullet
08-21-2008, 02:04 PM
Yikes, I have no care to battle something like that, yet I applaud Square-Enix for adding content for the truly devoted and masochistic fans.

I also laugh that fans are disgruntled over this addition. Really? It bothers them that much that this was added?

Spawn of Sephiroth
08-21-2008, 02:58 PM
Well, I know a monster I won't be fighting

Magixion
08-21-2008, 03:57 PM
I know a couple people that would be ecstatic if something like this was put into WoW. To be honest, though, I don't understand why people are complaining. I mean if you don't want to fight him then simply don't. It's not like they are forcing you to go after this impossible beast.

Bahamut2000X
08-21-2008, 04:44 PM
They couldn't kill some end game mob in less then 3 hours? That just means they suck. If something can't be killed in a few hours in FFXI then that means you shouldn't be fighting it, cause you don't know how to kill it.

Really this is nothing new, there have been plenty of mobs in the game that took hours to beat, the only difference here is this isn't something like Absolute Virtue who you can't damage and who will kill you before you reach that insane amount of time invested mark.

I like the longer battles in the game against the stronger enemies because it feels epic when it takes you an hour to down a dragon, or 2 hours to take down a god beast. But seriously if your spending 18 hours on a single mob and his HP doesn't get dented, then your doing something wrong and continually wailing on it won't change the matter.

Ultimage
08-21-2008, 06:06 PM
They did dent his HP, the only thing is, every time he would die or be damaged a certain amount he would change forms and be back at full. I believe it was said that he went through 20 forms or so in the 18 hours. There is also the fact that every time he changed forms he would spawn a lot of Pandemonium Lamps. Most people think there is a trick to canceling out some, if not most of his forms, they just haven't figured it out yet. Of course, it could be that it's supposed to be an 18 hour fight, just like SE said AV can be.

f f freak
08-22-2008, 12:06 AM
I'm pretty certain that bit about how they don't desire to see peoples lives suffer, means they don't want pictures.
Anyway, that sounds pretty cool. There's probably some really simple way of beating it or something that people have just overlooked. If not then that seems to be a pretty tough boss or enemy or whatever.

Flying Mullet
08-22-2008, 12:23 AM
They couldn't kill some end game mob in less then 3 hours? That just means they suck. If something can't be killed in a few hours in FFXI then that means you shouldn't be fighting it, cause you don't know how to kill it.
After reading the story again this is what I thought as well.

Roogle
08-22-2008, 08:51 PM
Supposedly, there is a strategy or methodology to fighting certain boss battles in Final Fantasy XI that currently have no clear solution. Absolute Virtue and Pandemonium Warden are two of those boss battles - players will be able to damage it and withstand its assaults, but be locked in an eternal combat, as both monsters can regenerate their HP through the use of Benediction or by changing forms.

Del Murder
08-23-2008, 02:01 AM
As expected with the national publicity, SE is going to 'adjust' AV and PW in the September update. I wonder what that will be.

I'll never get to the point where I will actually fight one of these creatures so I don't really care.

Jessweeee♪
08-23-2008, 05:45 AM
Whoa o:

Bahamut2000X
08-23-2008, 04:47 PM
Of course, it could be that it's supposed to be an 18 hour fight, just like SE said AV can be.

Yeah but who honestly can last an 18 hour fight with AV? He's got so many AOE of death attacks and 2 hours that you generally die long before you even reach the point of the fight taking too long.

What they should do is toss on a few insta'death type AOEs on this new mob and bam problem solved. People can't complain about it taking too long in fighting because they'll be dead long before they ever reach that point. :p

Rostum
08-24-2008, 12:09 AM
From my understanding of Square-Enix's comments on the matter, is that there are special techniques needed to be used to accomplish victory. We haven't found out for either this or Absolute Virtue yet, and it is (according to SE) unexpected the way in which we are going about fighting these mobs. That is why they said they are looking into it and are trying to change it.

Citizen Bleys
08-24-2008, 03:09 AM
This is just another case of the media taking any opportunity to slander gaming and gamers. We're all gamers here, why is anybody taking this article seriously?

Avarice-ness
08-24-2008, 03:50 AM
This is just another case of the media taking any opportunity to slander gaming and gamers. We're all gamers here, why is anybody taking this article seriously?

I didn't really find it slanderous at all.

They're taking the article seriously because, as admitted in this thread, clearly these monsters exist, and some people just want to complain about it. Not normal non-gamers complaining, actual gamers who are Q.Q-ing over things, normally they'll just Q.Q ingame but clearly they wanted to Q.Q elsewhere.

With that said, my guild can't even pay attention to an instance for 3 hours, anything more than that would just be something I would plan on never doing.

Miriel
08-24-2008, 05:10 AM
I'll never get to the point where I will actually fight one of these creatures so I don't really care.

Seriously. It's only a very small percentage of the game's population that's even affected by things like this. How many players are there who actually attempt this stuff?

I'm never gonna fight these crazy end-game monsters and it doesn't bum me out in the least. End-game stuff like this hardly matters to me or to most of the people who play the game. The hardcore people can go after these monsters, and if they're attempting to do it in the first place, chances are they're the same kind of people who revel in insane challenges like this.

Lionx
08-24-2008, 10:15 AM
rukenshin: Pandemonium Warden: The Fight, Strategy, and Experience (http://rukenshin.livejournal.com/17133.html)

rukenshin: Pandemonium Warden: Part 2 (http://rukenshin.livejournal.com/17366.html)

Let us hear from the players themselves. :)

Honestly i give them props for attempting this and going so far, i wish they did not hurt themselves health-wise but...i still give them props. This fight is NOT easy, and adapting to the fight on the fly(with job changing too) with no knowledge about the NM beforehand is something most players probably cannot do on the whim.

champagne supernova
08-24-2008, 04:14 PM
That is ridiculous! But it does remind me of that South Park episode too.

When they say they felt ill, are they actually being serious (I read the blog), or are they just using the expression ("I felt physically ill").

Yar
08-24-2008, 05:50 PM
Sitting still for 18 hours and not eating, going to the bathroom or doing any human functions isn't exactly the healthiest thing to do. I'm sure they felt nauseated or such, but I doubt they had to go to the ER or anything. :-/

I don't like to binge on video games (usually). Two or three hours and then I seriously need a break. XI is hard for me to play because I rely on people to be playing and they do the same for me. It's not exactly casual-fan friendly.

Rostum
08-24-2008, 07:47 PM
I doubt they didn't eat. A lot of them probably got their mum's to bake some food and send it to their basement.

:D

Del Murder
08-24-2008, 08:21 PM
I have a tube hooked directly to my vein. It helps for level up parties.

Jessweeee♪
08-24-2008, 10:06 PM
I hope they all had a good night's rest, had a potty break, and made sure they had food by their computers before they got into this o:

eternalshiva
08-24-2008, 11:05 PM
The pandamonium isn't a "end-game" mob, it's a poppable monster that you get to after doing T1-T4 ZNMs which is a long drawn out process and to get to the pandy just to get screwed over with an unkillable mob, like AV, it's retarded.

I'm glad bad press and losing money finally got SE to chnage their terms on those 2 mobs, AV hasn't been beaten yet without some cheat in the 3 years it's been out. The secretive nature of the company is rediculous and I"m glad they're nerfing it. FFXI is a time sink enough as it is.

Lionx
08-25-2008, 04:21 AM
I doubt they didn't eat. A lot of them probably got their mum's to bake some food and send it to their basement.

:D

Mom, more HOT POCKET!!!!

strawberryman
08-25-2008, 06:31 PM
rukenshin: Pandemonium Warden: The Fight, Strategy, and Experience (http://rukenshin.livejournal.com/17133.html)

rukenshin: Pandemonium Warden: Part 2 (http://rukenshin.livejournal.com/17366.html)

Let us hear from the players themselves. :)

Honestly i give them props for attempting this and going so far, i wish they did not hurt themselves health-wise but...i still give them props. This fight is NOT easy, and adapting to the fight on the fly(with job changing too) with no knowledge about the NM beforehand is something most players probably cannot do on the whim.

I have to agree with Lionx, and honestly it bugs me when people insult BtL for it when even they didn't expect to fight that long. Especially when they assault the matter with "they were doing it wrong", when they are one of the best linkshells out there, AFAIK, and they are probably the people who know most about PW right now. IMO, they deserve respect for going through this.

Really, I think, for one, SE didn't take into account for making ridiculous tricks to beating these monsters that the players first have to FIND the method, and it takes a LOT of effort to get up to PW, not to mention accumulating the manpower to do it. And as I see it, the only probable theory we've had has been debunked (The title theory, having people in an alliance with matching titles to some of Pandemonium's forms to try and lock them out), but that's just me. And besides, even BtL says that it's very much possible to beat PW right now. The amount of effort and time invested, however, is another question.