PDA

View Full Version : Insanely Difficult Yet Awesome Things

Evastio
08-21-2008, 07:52 PM
Is there any game (or anything from any game) that you find incredibly difficult yet you try out anyways just because of it's awesome music, stage designs, etc? Like Rainbow Road from Mario Kart where it's so hard because most of the time there's no rails yet the track looks so cool and mystifying that you find yourself racing there a lot for fun because of it?

I actually have a lot of things like that. The F-Zero series I find incredibly difficult and tough yet I keep playing it because I enjoy the insanity, speed, and difficulty of the races (as well as the awesome music). I also like Port Town Aero Dive, Big Blue, and Spear Pillar in SSBB even though those stages have too many things that unbalance the matches and make them unfair. Despite that I like choosing those stages because the stages look so cool and they all have awesome music. The Final Bosses of FF games (especially I and IV) I also enjoy facing because of those same reasons.

ljkkjlcm9
08-21-2008, 07:56 PM
F-Zero GX was definitely insanely hard but also just awesome.

Ninja Gaiden tends to be like that as well... it can be extremely difficult.

Some games try to put things in that are insanely hard to do to make you want to do them more, and have something to unlock. Like Resident Evil 4 making you have to get 5 stars with all 5 characters on all 4 stages in the Mercenaries... so as to unlock the hand cannon. But that's just more annoying than anything.

THE JACKEL

Roto13
08-21-2008, 08:15 PM
My vote goes to F-Zero GX. I'm horrible at racing games, but I just love playing that one, even though it's like the hardest racing game there is.

Momiji
08-21-2008, 08:37 PM
Shmups by Cave or Touhou shmups on Lunatic difficulty.

Pete for President
08-21-2008, 09:13 PM
Guitar Hero. Does it need an explanation?

I Don't Need A Name
08-21-2008, 09:38 PM
the only thing i can think offhand is the opening of the Overlord level on Medal Of Honour Allied Assault.
its annoying, yet satisfying

demondude
08-21-2008, 09:40 PM
Rolling Gizmo Galaxy in Super Mario galaxy.
It took me about 100 tries.

Blue Harvest
08-21-2008, 09:44 PM
Guitar Hero.

Roto13
08-21-2008, 09:48 PM
Rolling Gizmo Galaxy in Super Mario galaxy.
It took me about 100 tries.

Oh god, I blocked that one from my mind.

Hambone
08-21-2008, 10:19 PM
Oh...umm...Alaska in SSX Tricky.

DMKA
08-22-2008, 01:02 AM
Super Ghouls and Ghosts.

I'm one of the few human beings on earth who can say I completed it. On my SNES. Without a Game Genie.

Ryth
08-22-2008, 01:35 AM
Super Ghouls and Ghosts.

I'm one of the few human beings on earth who can say I completed it. On my SNES. Without a Game Genie.

You are a God.

DrDeath in Despair
08-22-2008, 04:03 AM
Holy Diver.

Markus. D
08-22-2008, 04:11 AM
Smups, they are so enticingly tricky!

I'm only starting to be able to play Touhou MoF Lunatic (Starting)

STARTING HERE (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hk5p9lhpPY4)

Absconditus_Oraculum
08-22-2008, 04:15 AM
Smiply moving out of the way of a blue shell in Mario Kart DS. I never get hit with one when it would matter so I don't care of I dodge them are not, but it drives my brother nuts trying to figure out how I do it without using any of the traditional methods.

Jowy
08-22-2008, 04:17 AM
Super Ghouls and Ghosts.

My girlfriend's mom did too. I was shocked and honestly didn't believe her when she made such a grandiose claim.

Bunny
08-22-2008, 04:19 AM
Final Fantasy X was incredibly difficult to play. What with it's horrendous voice acting, horrible story, and horrid final boss.

Oops, am I doing it wrong?

Momiji
08-22-2008, 04:32 AM

*cough* (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wNkTnICqRc)

DMKA
08-22-2008, 05:23 AM
Final Fantasy X was incredibly difficult to play. What with it's horrendous voice acting, horrible story, and horrid final boss.

Yes, fag.

Please don't use that word. Your post was just fine without it. ~ Zeromus

Momiji
08-22-2008, 05:40 AM

Tidus and/or Yuna: "HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA"

DMKA
08-22-2008, 05:46 AM

Yes, .

Please don't use that word. Your post was just fine without it. ~ Zeromus

Oh dear god, please don't tell me EoFF has sank that low on the politically correct nazi tier....

Use the Feedback Forum or STFU, whiner. ~Shlup

Big D
08-22-2008, 06:12 AM
When I was a teenager, I beat the Sega CD version of Ecco the Dolphin without any kind of cheats or walkthroughs... at the time, this didn't seem like too big a deal. It was incredibly hard, sure, but it wasn't until recently that I learned it's an infamously hard game.

Dreddz
08-22-2008, 12:06 PM
Well currently I'm playing Pixeljunk Eden and Bionic Commando Rearmed and both are stamping on my balls considerably. Yet I just can't say no to another go.

ReloadPsi
08-22-2008, 12:12 PM
Guitar Hero II: Psychobilly Freakout and Hangar 18. Tough tracks that are fun for their difficulty.

Donkey Kong Country 2: An entire game I found fun for its difficulty. I imagine if I played it now I'd piss all over it because I've played it too many times in the past but I found it genuinely challenging.

Diddy Kong Racing: The second octopus boss. Took me weeks (literally) to beat the bastard. Eventually I did, and now I find it a lot easier... still very tough though.

There should be more, but I seem to be forgetting them. There are so many games where I've adored the difficult sections (not to be confused with sections that are just plain cumbersome and dull, like one or two dungeons in FFIV, being the reason I don't play it as much as I'd like to as I love that game) but for some reason they escape me at the minute.

However, difficulty is not to be confused with "fake difficulty" where the game is only hard because it's poorly programmed (there were plenty of NES and Master System games I blocked from my memory, and so many early 3D games for, say, the PSone with crappy collision detection) or the cameras are no good (Super Mario 64).

Markus. D
08-22-2008, 01:23 PM

*cough* (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wNkTnICqRc)

Starting to xD

I only have 4 fingers and 2 thumbs to play with :[ (and due to the nature of it using a gamepad for controls) I can't do especially well with one arm inversely arched xD... (whining yes, but I can be gamer emo like AVGN and with reason~ sometimes).

*neckbite*