PDA

View Full Version : So give me tips

Roto13
08-22-2008, 07:48 PM
So I've restarted this game. Last year, I restarted it but after I moved, I didn't have any time to play it, and now that I have access to my PS2 again, my memory cards are mysteriously missing so I'm restarting it again. I was just past the Tomb of Raithwall (I think) in my last file, and I'm about to cross the sandseas, so I'm getting close to where I left off.

One thing about this game is that it's a lot more fun the second time, because you don't have to learn the whole license grid and gambit thing again, so you can just focus on the kickass exploration aspect and the hunts and whatnot.

Anyways, I'm curious about any tips or tricks the fine people here at EoFF may have learned that might help me as I go. I just learned about an accessory that lets you use items on enemies to cause their opposite effects, as in antidotes that cause Poison. Of course, I know about the Zodiac Spear, so I'll be keeping an eye out for that. I also know that quickenings can triple your maximum MP. What other hints would you like to provide to me? :bigsmile:

Saber
08-23-2008, 01:21 AM
Well the best thing I can tell you is to try and kill both death walls at the tomb. Then a path is accessable and you may get a good sword. I think its a death bringer not sure. also The Ozmone plains is an alright place to learn exp and LP (hunts are better for LP). The moment you can buy some Embroidered Tippet and Golden Amulet accessories. Plus getting 6 bubble belts is always good.

Roto13
08-23-2008, 01:45 AM
I just killed both of the Demon Walls mere minutes ago and got the Demon's Bane sword. :P Over twice as strong as the next strongest sword I have right now. I forgot about the Golden Amulets. I think you get those in the Viera village, right?

Saber
08-23-2008, 02:37 AM
You can get golden amulets at rabanastre low town ( later in the game) and at Mt. Bur-Omisace.

LunarWeaver
08-23-2008, 05:38 AM
Don't die.

:hahaha:!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Alright, let's see. It's been too long for me to give good advice anymore. I'm pretty sure there's a hunt you can do for that one village, what's it called. The one where Ashe and Vaan talk on that bridge. You know the big goofy looking bird-somethings people. Anyway, I'm pretty sure a Golden Amulet is a reward for a hunt from one of them, and it comes way before they can be purchased.

Um. Press left or right on the directional pad to click on an enemy so you can see their weaknesses? Better than bringing up the menu and clicking on it just to see.

Target lines are for faggots and should be turned off or Jesus hates you.

Use Vaan because he's way stronger than everyone else :bigsmile:

In the Lhusu Mines there's that bridge where the skeletons repeatedly rise. You can get a huge chain here and get lots of stuff to sell until you're rich. You'll get tons of LP in the process. When they stop popping up just run a few screens away and then go back, but make sure not to kill anything else and break your chain.

I can't think of anything else.

Roto13
08-23-2008, 05:44 AM
Dude, I INVENTED the Lhusu Mines skeleton chaining thing.

I'm not using Vaan because he's a mallrat.

I didn't know about that golden amulet. That's awesome. I'm on my way to that village now. :P

Jessweeee♪
08-23-2008, 05:47 AM
Definitely get Golden Amulets and Embroidered Tippets or whatever as soon as you can!

...and I agree, this game was five times better the second playthrough xD

LunarWeaver
08-23-2008, 06:08 AM
Well I'm so sorry you invented chaining! I didn't know you were Matsuno himself! We should totally wrestle in mud.

I think you have to initially get that one in Rabanastre. If it's not in the actual village don't flip your cocoon until you check there too.

Roto13
08-23-2008, 06:14 AM
I always accept hunts as soon as they become available because there's absolutely no reason not to. :P

demondude
08-23-2008, 02:55 PM
Guns are better the Bows, especially when Fran uses them.

Wolf Kanno
08-24-2008, 06:35 AM
You can steal ribbons from lv. 99 Red Chocobos that randomly spawn in the Ozmone Plains.

One of the Bangaa's outside Migelo's shop makes a hilarious reference to FFIV.

Casting vanish on your whole party and confuse on one of them causes some fun times.

Soul Eater is a better ability than most people give it credit for.

There's an amusing mini-game in Rabanastre where you have to help a Viera find her soul mate.

There is also a pretty cool side quest involving a Seeq named Jowy in Nalbina that gives a bit of background info on a certain important character that leaves you too soon. :cool:

Karellen
08-24-2008, 08:16 AM
Don't sell the Great Serpentskin.

Quindiana Jones
08-24-2008, 02:12 PM
No, really. DON'T SELL THE GREAT SERPENTSKIN. :D

I've got plenty of tips that I learnt when I had the game, but now I'm a 360 geek, and can't remember much. I remember some pretty gnarly training spots, if you want them?

Big D
08-24-2008, 02:41 PM
I, too, had a much easier and more fun experience on my second playthrough... though I can't really add to what others have already said, in terms of handy hints.

Except to say that a second game is the perfect opportunity to go for the Zodiac Spear, which kicks many bottoms in rapid succession. There's some level-grinding, boss-fighting and run-for-your-life-ing involved in getting it, but it's well worth it for a weapon that turns one character into a nigh-unstoppable powerhouse while their level is still in the low 20s.

:edit:

Oh yeah... what Demon Dude said about guns: often, it's true. In my current game, I'm keeping Balthier's weapon licenses almost dedicated to gunnery, and it's helpful. The attack number may be low, but guns ignore the enemy's defence stat, so more often than not they'll have an advantage. Especially if you've got a range of elemental and status ammo.

Don't hesitate to use Elixirs whenever necessary. I always tend to hoard mine throughout the game, because of their rarity and power, but that just means I end up with way too many at the final fights.

Given the choice between gaining a few levels and gaining some better armour, go for the armour. Keeping your team's gear up to date is a must, unless you really like resurrecting on every other turn.

Karellen
08-24-2008, 02:57 PM
Oh, also Balthier takes 0.2 seconds longer then other characters to attack with guns and Fran takes 0.2 seconds longer to attack with bows for some stupid reason, so you might want to give them different weapons to what they start with.

demondude
08-24-2008, 03:12 PM
I just think Fran looks so badass with a gun.

Roto13
08-24-2008, 04:02 PM

There's an amusing mini-game in Rabanastre where you have to help a Viera find her soul mate.

There is also a pretty cool side quest involving a Seeq named Jowy in Nalbina that gives a bit of background info on a certain important character that leaves you too soon. :cool:

When do these things take place? :P

I vaguely remember someone saying that years ago, so I kept it. xP

Oh yeah... what Demon Dude said about guns: often, it's true. In my current game, I'm keeping Balthier's weapon licenses almost dedicated to gunnery, and it's helpful. The attack number may be low, but guns ignore the enemy's defence stat, so more often than not they'll have an advantage. Especially if you've got a range of elemental and status ammo.

Given the choice between gaining a few levels and gaining some better armour, go for the armour. Keeping your team's gear up to date is a must, unless you really like resurrecting on every other turn.

I've had Fran using bows up until now, but I think I'll switch her to guns.

I'm guilty of blowing all of my money on spells I'm never going to use instead of buying some much-needed weapons and armour. xD

I just think Fran looks so badass with a gun.

Yeah, I figured that had something to do with it. :P

Wolf Kanno
08-24-2008, 09:27 PM

When do these things take place? :P

My memory is a bit fuzzy but I believe the first two open up either when you get Lady Ashe or when you have to go to Mt. Burimasce. The third one doesn't open up I feel until after you've been to Archades.

Saber
08-25-2008, 03:17 AM
Like most Final Fantasy games if you don't have the money to buy everything at shops, GO LEVEL UP AND GET THE MONEY. I do this in all games. No telling if the shops will sell a certain item in the future so get it while its hot.

Speaking off items, always make sure you have 1 or more of every loot. It won't get you anything but Having all of them is a real achievement when showing off your files.

During the end of the game when you are trying to find out which weapons you need or what spells you've missed, check the licence board. it lists all spells, so if you learned the whole LB. Then you can just scroll around and find what you need. Make a list and make it a mission to find those items. I'm in the process of doing this myself.

Roto13
08-25-2008, 04:37 AM
I'm not going to be one of those crazy people who has to have one of everything.

ReloadPsi
08-25-2008, 11:11 PM

Hahaha, I sold it thinking "Bah, I'll probably discover I need it later. But now that I've had that notion, that means I'm wrong and I won't need it!"

God damn it...

Quindiana Jones
08-26-2008, 07:05 PM
I'm not going to be one of those crazy people who has to have one of everything.

I'm one of those people, but I don't do it for the fun. I kept one of each item so that if there was an item I needed, I could easily find out if I had been somewhere that I could get more or not.

Roto13
08-26-2008, 07:57 PM
Speaking of which, what items should I keep for good bazaar stuff?

Coma
08-27-2008, 01:22 AM
Anything you don't already have one of. Seriously. Its how you make sure you don't sell important stuff. I personally, kept nothing until the end game. I regretted it.

Roto13
08-27-2008, 01:43 AM
It'd be a lot more practical to just have a list of things that are important. The last time I played, the only thing I regretted selling was the great serpentskin.

Coma
08-27-2008, 02:06 AM
I think it'd be easier to just see only one, k don't sell. Then to check a list every time I went to a store. But whatever works for you. I'll type your list when I get home from work.

Roto13
08-27-2008, 02:16 AM
Don't bother. I can probably just go through a bazaar FAQ. xP

Coma
08-27-2008, 12:40 PM
That's what I was going to do. xD

Roto13
08-27-2008, 07:31 PM
I'm in the Salikawood now. I'm going to try to take on that Bomb King so I can get the Zodiac Spear. I'm at level 34, and the boss guide I checked said you should be around level 40, but I'm going to give it a go anyway. Then everything will be easy forever. :P

EDIT: Does Vanish actually do anything in this game? I tried using it to make my way far enough into Nabudis to get the Zodiac Spear, but I was pretty thoroughly destroyed. >_> I won't be getting that thing for a while.

Saber
08-28-2008, 01:50 AM
It took pretty much all of my characters HP and healing at the beginning of each area toget to the Zodiak spear. Just keep on running.

Big D
08-28-2008, 02:31 AM
'Running' - as in, holding the escape button - is the hard way to get the Zodiak Spear. The best approach is to give everyone the best shield and evasion-boosting gear possible, eg. Main Gauche, then switch off their gambits so they won't try to attack or spellcast.. Get through every area as fast as possible without fleeing, and they'll have a good chance of avoiding or blocking attacks.I'm going to try to take on that Bomb King so I can get the Zodiac Spear. I'm at level 34, and the boss guide I checked said you should be around level 40I beat him with an average level around 30, so you should be fine. It's not the easiest fight, and I relied a lot on spamming Mist Charges, but it's doable.

Roto13
08-28-2008, 03:02 AM
I beat the Bomb King by buying those boots that protect against Oil. When I got him down to just over half his HP, I quickened him to death. (He uses Renew around there so it's not worth it to avoid being cheap.)

I got the Zodiac Spear by casting Protect and Shell on my whole party, then taking two of them out of play and hauling ass with the third. (I used Fran, and switched to Ashe when she died.) I healed everyone at the beginning of each area and made it to the room with the Zodiac Spear and switched to Balthier, who uses a shield and has every increase-chance-to-block-with-a-shield augment so he managed to survive a few hits while I poked through the chests. Then I got the hell out of there. xP I should really go back to check out the shop, but I think everything's really expensive so it might be just as well to wait until I have more money.

So yay, I have the Zodiac Spear for the first time ever. xP Now everything gets to be really easy.

Off to the Phon Coast! *points dramatically*