PDA

View Full Version : Oh, to be Left-Handed in a Right-Handed World!

Yar
08-24-2008, 01:16 AM
:( *sigh* :(

It's so hard! I was trying to cut a sheet of paper today, but the scissors were right-handed. It looked like a five year old had cut the paper. :(

Then, while I was trying to scoop ice-cream, the handle was shaped to be held in the right hand. How disappointing. :(

Our stupid language is written from left to right, so whenever I use a pen, the side of my hand turns the color of my pen. :(

People always insist I use my right hand when we shake hands. What's so bad about my left hand? :(

About the only right-handed thing I use is a computer mouse, and that's because i think using it left handed feels awkward.

So, I'm urging all lefties to unite and overthrow our right-handed oppressors! How have our right-handed overlords ruined your life recently? :greenie:

Leeza
08-24-2008, 01:18 AM
I do have pity on you lefties. :(

Clouded Sky
08-24-2008, 01:19 AM
I don't remember all the details, but we were cutting an ice cream cake the other day, and it was super hard, and it was made infinitely more difficult by the fact that two of us were cutting it at the same time and she was right-handed. I'm still not sure what happened, but we kept trying not to cut off each others' hands.

RISE UP!

Psychotic
08-24-2008, 01:21 AM
You are filth.

Roto13
08-24-2008, 01:22 AM
People always insist I use my right hand when we shake hands. What's so bad about my left hand?

That's just customary. Like shaking hands in the first place. :P

There are left-handed or ambidextrous versions of pretty much everything you're having problems with. You should invest in them.

Lawr
08-24-2008, 01:28 AM
You are filth.

Totally.

Yar
08-24-2008, 01:30 AM
You are filth.
Okay, now you're on the list! :mad2:
Totally.You too!

Lawr
08-24-2008, 01:32 AM
Are you going to shank me with your right-handed knife?

Jessweeee♪
08-24-2008, 01:34 AM
YES I KNOW!

Every day in kindergarten I would come home from school with purple hands!

I'm always bumping elbows with people at the table. Everyone has their "spot" so if I sit in one of their seats they get all pissy.

IT IS TIME FOR A REVOLUTION

Avarice-ness
08-24-2008, 01:38 AM
xD My husbands left handed. For a while when we'd go out to eat, I'd always sit on the inside of a booth, which means he was on the outside, we always ended up bumping arms when we'd eat 'cause I'm right handed and he's left.
We always hold hands left hand/right hand so we got our matching snake tattoo's on the left (his) wrist and right (mine) wrist.

I still am in awe when he writes though, left handed writes write so weird. > >;

Jessweeee♪
08-24-2008, 01:40 AM
They taught me the righty way, so I curl my hand around my pencil in a way that's supposed to be bad for your hands or something :(

Blue Harvest
08-24-2008, 01:46 AM
I feel for you leftys, I really do :(

Yar
08-24-2008, 01:48 AM
I don't curl my hand around the paper. That's interesting that so many lefties do. I'm practically symmetrical to a righty.

Denmark
08-24-2008, 01:49 AM
Either teach yourself to do things right-handed, or live with it. We can't help being the majority.

XxSephirothxX
08-24-2008, 01:50 AM
Most of those things should be easy for you. I'm left-handed, and I could use scissors just fine by the time I was, I dunno, in elementary school? Shaking hands isn't exactly difficult either.

The only thing I dislike about being left-handed is the writing thing. Other than that, it's generally a unique characteristic or an advantage.

Psychotic
08-24-2008, 01:50 AM
Look, I'll feel sorry for you, but only if you all stay in the sewers where mutants like you belong. It's just not right having you all trying to integrate yourselves with normal society.

Jessweeee♪
08-24-2008, 01:51 AM
Either teach yourself to do things right-handed, or live with it. We can't help being the majority.

WE ARE SUPERIOR BEINGS AND WE WILL NOT ASSIMILATE!

Denmark
08-24-2008, 01:54 AM
None of the left-handed people I knew growing up ever seemed to be having any trouble with anything. This proves adaptation of left-handedness to a right-handed world IS POSSIBLE!

Momiji
08-24-2008, 01:56 AM
Are you going to shank me with your right-handed knife?

Kotonoha Yaridovich, don't bother.

As you'd expect, there's nothing inside.

Iceglow
08-24-2008, 03:55 AM
The most annoying thing in the world being left handed is the Nintendo DS. Why oh why did nintendo form their handheld console to be played by right handers? The GBA was fine for us lefties you didn't need to use a stylus to draw pretty shapes or select tiny icons that even the little finger cannot touch without getting it wrong. This recent spree of nintendo ds games involving the whole "use the D-pad and the stylus to control this" system makes me wanna hurl my DS at the wall. I cannot do both of those things with my left hand. A prime example is The world ends with you.

I however do a lot of things right handed, computer mouse usage (including the use of my touchpad on my laptop most of the time) I hold my pens in a somewhat left handed way though I've seen people using pens with their left hand almost as a fist with the pen stabbing down out of it you gotta wrap it up and put your finger down near the nib to keep flow steady and nice. I do however come across as depressed in my writing a lot of the time since unless my paper is straight it all slants to the left. (according to psychology this signifies depression, according to me this signifies my left handed status) I have little or no problem with computer console games such as halo 3 and many more.

I also find using a QWERTY keyboard really really easy and since DVORAK was designed for the right handers I will never switch over on that since most of the typing I do at the moment is with my left hand and that suits me just fine.

PS. Psychotic I'll go get down in to the sewers where I belong with the other mutants when I'm chasing you with dual spikers on Halo 3 next time.

Moon Rabbits
08-24-2008, 05:34 AM
They taught me the righty way, so I curl my hand around my pencil in a way that's supposed to be bad for your hands or something :(

I don't know, but the way I hold pencils is weird too. I curl my fingers weird and I get mad hand cramps. I should probably learn to stop that.

Most of those things should be easy for you. I'm left-handed, and I could use scissors just fine by the time I was, I dunno, in elementary school? Shaking hands isn't exactly difficult either.

The only thing I dislike about being left-handed is the writing thing. Other than that, it's generally a unique characteristic or an advantage.

Whenever I use right handed scissors it never cuts ... sharply? It's always really finely torn. It's weird. I taught myself to use right handed scissors, so it doesn't matter. I agree with the rest, writing in binders is hellish.

The single most annoying thing is that I perpetually have ink or pencil or marker all over the pinky side of my hand. ; - ;

I Took the Red Pill
08-24-2008, 05:59 AM
I'm left-handed. It doesn't really ever cause problems. In fact, while playing tennis it's an advantage because righties don't really know how to handle it. If you're that horrorstruck by it, pull a Ned Flanders and build a Leftorium.

Yar
08-24-2008, 06:06 AM
But the Leftorium failed initially! In fact, it only survived because Springfield has a high percentage of lefties.

Jessweeee♪
08-24-2008, 06:47 AM

I don't know, but the way I hold pencils is weird too. I curl my fingers weird and I get mad hand cramps. I should probably learn to stop that.

Whenever I use right handed scissors it never cuts ... sharply? It's always really finely torn. It's weird. I taught myself to use right handed scissors, so it doesn't matter. I agree with the rest, writing in binders is hellish.

The single most annoying thing is that I perpetually have ink or pencil or marker all over the pinky side of my hand. ; - ;

I can't cut straight with my right hand :(

I had to ask my friend to tidy up some of the things I cut in the sewing class I took because sometimes I needed things to be JUST RIGHT and there were only righty scissors! ;_;

Quindiana Jones
08-24-2008, 01:57 PM
Shaking hands with the left hand is rude, and makes baby Jesus cry.

Captain Maxx Power
08-24-2008, 02:11 PM
So, I'm urging all lefties to unite and overthrow our right-handed oppressors! How have our right-handed overlords ruined your life recently? :greenie:

When do they NOT oppress the left-handed citizen? I have to deal with all kinds of crap; can openers, doors, scissors, pens. If you're wondering about the last one since we write from left to right, us lefties have to put up with having ink marks on our left hand. :mad2:

I take solace only in the fact that on average left-handed people are more intelligent than our vastly inferior right-handed cousins. :cool:

Quindiana Jones
08-24-2008, 02:12 PM
Yeah, well you also die quicker.

Kes
08-24-2008, 03:58 PM
I'm left-handed. It doesn't really ever cause problems. In fact, while playing tennis it's an advantage because righties don't really know how to handle it. If you're that horrorstruck by it, pull a Ned Flanders and build a Leftorium.

Lefties also have a serious advantage in fencing. I'm not one and I strongly dislike fencing you guys.

Though my mother is a lefty and I've used her left-handed scissors a bunch; I never had any trouble with them.

Rantz
08-24-2008, 04:32 PM
Look, I'll feel sorry for you, but only if you all stay in the sewers where mutants like you belong. It's just not right having you all trying to integrate yourselves with normal society.

Look, let's not be so harsh. It is Lucifer who has misled them, after all. They just need a firm cloister education or, for the hopeless cases, a quick chop over the left wrist. There's no need to go to extremes.

sdm42393
08-24-2008, 04:35 PM
:( *sigh* :(

It's so hard! I was trying to cut a sheet of paper today, but the scissors were right-handed. It looked like a five year old had cut the paper. :(

Then, while I was trying to scoop ice-cream, the handle was shaped to be held in the right hand. How disappointing. :(

Our stupid language is written from left to right, so whenever I use a pen, the side of my hand turns the color of my pen. :(

People always insist I use my right hand when we shake hands. What's so bad about my left hand? :(

About the only right-handed thing I use is a computer mouse, and that's because i think using it left handed feels awkward.

I feel your pain.

The most annoying thing in the world being left handed is the Nintendo DS. Why oh why did nintendo form their handheld console to be played by right handers? The GBA was fine for us lefties you didn't need to use a stylus to draw pretty shapes or select tiny icons that even the little finger cannot touch without getting it wrong. This recent spree of nintendo ds games involving the whole "use the D-pad and the stylus to control this" system makes me wanna hurl my DS at the wall. I cannot do both of those things with my left hand. A prime example is The world ends with you.

One of the only reasons I didn't by TWEWY.

Madame Adequate
08-24-2008, 04:50 PM
Hey guess what!

Us normal not freak people sometimes have to use our left hands for things! How about that?

Witches, all of you.

Zeldy
08-24-2008, 04:51 PM
A friend I sat next to in a class was left-handed and we used to get on each other's nerves as I'm right-handed and we kept bumping elbows.

I don't see the difference between right-hand and left-hand scissors, bar the colour.

Momiji
08-24-2008, 07:26 PM

Um, in TWEWY, you can use the ABXY buttons as directional buttons too. Try it sometime.

Hambone
08-24-2008, 07:30 PM
Being Left - handed is awesome! :( I love coming home and having pencil marks on the side of my left hand! So smooth.

Avarice-ness
08-24-2008, 09:15 PM

My husband writes like that too. He always gets me to do paperwork and such because his hand tends to ache after long times writing things.

cloud21zidane16
08-24-2008, 09:21 PM
A friend I sat next to in a class was left-handed and we used to get on each other's nerves as I'm right-handed and we kept bumping elbows.

I don't see the difference between right-hand and left-hand scissors, bar the colour.

That happened to me too. Im just glad im right handed:D

Jessweeee♪
08-24-2008, 09:32 PM

This is mostly an issue with older scissors S:

When you use them with your left hand, the blades are forced apart a little, so the paper sometimes folds or tears instead of cutting cleanly. Some righty scissors are uncomfortable to hold and it's difficult to see where exactly you're cutting. A lot of guns are harder to use left-handed, too.

Behold the Void
08-24-2008, 09:34 PM
Scissors can be irritating, but I can generally cut fine with my right hand. Just takes some practice. It's not TOO difficult, the right hand is still dexterous enough to do most of what you need it for.

The writing is really irritating though, especially since a lot of nice pens smudge.

Meow
08-25-2008, 06:55 AM
probably the worst are mini spiral-bound notebooks

I have those suckers all flipped upside-down and backwards just to get pen to paper

EDIT plus everybody loves stuffing me at Halo

blackmage_nuke
08-25-2008, 07:14 AM
You people must use some strange pens or something because i tried writing right to left with my right hand and the ink doesnt run on my hand or anything.

scrumpleberry
08-25-2008, 02:48 PM

I thought you loved me :cry:

Erm, I smudge my writing when I use fountain pens and the like because I write like a flipped righty. Also I cannot cut things. But I use cutlery right-handedly.

Lawr
08-25-2008, 03:47 PM
You people must use some strange pens or something because i tried writing right to left with my right hand and the ink doesnt run on my hand or anything.

It also has to do with the way they hold the writing utensils.

Psychotic
08-25-2008, 03:53 PM
EDIT plus everybody loves stuffing me at HaloThere is actually a Southpaw controller configuration. Try it out sometime. I'm curious as to how it works.

I thought you loved me :cry:If it's any consolation, I only go out with left-handed girls. :greenie:

Yar
08-25-2008, 04:18 PM
EDIT plus everybody loves stuffing me at HaloThere is actually a Southpaw controller configuration. Try it out sometime. I'm curious as to how it works.

I have no idea why, but on Rock Band, lefty mode on DRUMS is a lot easier for me. :eep:

Breine
08-25-2008, 04:25 PM
I do have pity on you lefties. :(

Qft.

Psychotic
08-25-2008, 04:27 PM
Because of this thread I tried writing with my left hand...and it is identical to my handwriting with my right hand. I really would not be able to tell the difference between the two. This means I am ambidextrous. ...fuck. :(

Yar
08-25-2008, 04:30 PM
Because of this thread I tried writing with my left hand...and it is identical to my handwriting with my right hand. I really would not be able to tell the difference between the two. This means I am ambidextrous. ...smurf. :(

Or that your handwriting is poor regardless. :p

Psychotic
08-25-2008, 04:31 PM
A little from Column A, a little from Column B.

rubah
08-25-2008, 04:47 PM
I like using my left hand. . .

although I did take notes with my left hand once in english class and ended up doing really badly on the next test. . .

DK
08-25-2008, 04:50 PM
I am most definitely a right sided person. It's not just my arm, it works for my legs as well. I just don't feel the control in my left side that I do in my right side, it's weird. Like playing football/soccer for instance, kicking with my right foot is natural to me and usually goes fine, but whenever I try to do it with the left foot it's like even though I should technically be doing just the same thing with my other foot it doesn't work how I want it to and I regularly fudge the ball all over the place. Though there have been occasions where I managed to get everything right with the left foot and when I do I usually manage to pull off something spectacular.

Also yeah for my left arm it's the same in some cases. I can do most things fine with it but for example, throwing a punch with the left feels almost like it's not actually my arm because I'm swinging it but it doesn't feel like I'm controlling it, it's like it has a mind of its own. It feels a lot weaker than my right as well, even though I have found that it isn't. Enjoyed my last visit to London as I was out with James in Trocaderos and whenever we go there we always end up competing in everything, especially those punching machine things. We were on this one that rated your punch out of 1000 and we were regularly hitting in the 850's with our right hands, and then I said I wanted to have a go with my left just to see how crappy it was but I managed to hit for an 850 again which was nice, and then J who is actually cack-handed himself when he writes tried his left and was throwing these floppy 600 power punches and it was great.

Meow
08-25-2008, 05:12 PM
southpaw control schemes are like god's spite upon a hateful world

As a person who's spent his whole life dogging away on righty controls, switching to southpaw is not a holy revelation, but akin to playing the game with a slice of pizza

or maybe a toy car

pretty disappointing

Yar
08-25-2008, 05:18 PM
Final Fantasy IV DS can (for the most part) be played with only your left hand. :D

Araciel
08-28-2008, 12:38 AM
I still am in awe when he writes though, left handed writes write so weird. > >;

How so? Some of them do the weird claw thing, but I write perfectly normal, aside from the pen being in my left hand.
PS. Your chosen font colour is evil on my eyes.

Also, I use right or left handed scissors, and any ice cream scoop that is 'right handed' shouldn't exist.

Someone just needs to visit
http://simpsonovi.comics.cz/media/Obrazky/WALL/images/leftorium.jpg