PDA

View Full Version : Mortal Kombat vs Tekken

Comet
08-24-2008, 03:38 AM
Which series of games do YOU think is generally more enjoyable?

Psychotic
08-24-2008, 03:58 AM
Tekken. A thousand times Tekken.

DK
08-24-2008, 04:06 AM
Tekken so much it's almost cruel.

Roto13
08-24-2008, 04:23 AM
I'm not a big Tekken fan, but it's so much better than Mortal Kombat it's barely even fair to compare them.

Laddy
08-24-2008, 05:09 AM
I have hemophobia, so the deeper and more serious Tekken gets my vote and stomach.

TyphoonThaReapa
08-24-2008, 05:18 AM
A'yo, Tekken 100%. If this was a poll, Mortal Kombat would be shamed there son...:rolleyes2

Wolf Kanno
08-24-2008, 06:02 AM
I'll be different and say Mortal Kombat, if only cause MKII is enjoyable in an idiotic elementary school way and then the rest of series got decidedly worse from then on. Tekken to me, started bad and just got worse with each new installment. Of course my real opinion is to not even bother with either of them.

Vyk
08-24-2008, 06:21 AM
Don't particularly like either. There's better fighting games out there. Kinda odd to choose those two to go head to head though

Jessweeee♪
08-24-2008, 06:21 AM
MK movies > Tekken movie

...but this is about the games! I like playing Tekken more than Mortal Kombat, but I've always had more respect for MK because it was like, the second game I ever played ever and it had such a huge impact on the gaming industry what with prompting the ESRB and all S:

Kenshin IV
08-24-2008, 07:12 AM
You're talking about two fighting series that have almost nothing in common, so it's really hard to compare. To give it a shot, though, Mortal Kombat hit it's peak with the second game, while Tekken's really only sub-par outing was the fourth game. So if you wanna go by consistency, I guess Tekken. Although I had far more hours put in MK2.

But really, The King of Fighters owns them all.

Momiji
08-24-2008, 07:41 AM
Scarlet Weather Rhapsody (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KIeWfJ99IQ). Tekken.

Lionx
08-24-2008, 09:29 AM
If i had to play one of them i would honestly say Tekken, it has a huger competition base, and is way more competitive in general(gamewise and community).

Markus. D
08-24-2008, 10:21 AM
Tekken is better in every single way.

Dreddz
08-24-2008, 01:36 PM
At this point in time, Tekken by miles. Its funny how Mortal Kombat slowly went downhill while Tekken slowly got better. I hope MK VS DC makes people take Mortal Kombat seriously again.

Big D
08-24-2008, 01:52 PM
I've played a lot of Tekken and very little Mortal Kombat, so it's not totally fair for me to comment. But from what I've experienced, I like Tekken a whole lot more. Accessible to new players yet complex to master; a good range of characters, and nicely animated action.
Some genuinely interesting and fun personalities among the lineup, too, which helps a lot.

No 'fights to the death' or bloody disemboweling, which helps to make it more lightweight for some people.

Elly
08-24-2008, 02:49 PM
MK especialy the early ones 1-3, i can't stand Tekken or KoF because they respond like mud through a coffee maker, if i hit a button i expect the move to be pulled off imediately not 3 seconds later, i like my fighters to be fast like Dead or Alive, Guilty Gear, & Street Fighter, and the earlier MKs responded very well in that regard...

Madame Adequate
08-24-2008, 03:45 PM
If you take the best one of each series, Tekken. If you take them as a whole, Tekken. The only way MK wins is if you compare the worst of Tekken to the best of MK, and even then it's not a big gap. But put Tekken 2 or 3 up and Mortal Kombat gets demolished so utterly that it's not even funny.

Dreddz
08-24-2008, 06:46 PM
I don't think the comparison is all that fair considering the best Mortal Kombat has to offer were its 2D games while the best Tekken has to offer are 3D titles. For what its worth, Mortal Kombat II is a damn fine 2D fighter which few other fighters can match. I don't see how any Tekken game can demolish such a fine title.

Hambone
08-24-2008, 07:35 PM
Don't particularly like either. There's better fighting games out there. Kinda odd to choose those two to go head to head though

This

Specifically, the best fighting series is Soul.

Jessweeee♪
08-24-2008, 10:18 PM
Friendship! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oe8eHZro0wc)

Hambone
08-24-2008, 11:53 PM
Friendship! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oe8eHZro0wc)

Shang Tsung's made me lol uncontrollably.

Serapy
08-25-2008, 04:03 AM
I love Mortal Kombat and its lore. I've played one of the first MK games when I was little. Was so mad fun.

Markus. D
08-25-2008, 05:14 AM
The only MK games I can say I like is Shaolin Monks...

ReloadPsi
08-25-2008, 11:17 AM
Tekken is slow and boring and you'll outgrow video games by the time the two characters have walked towards each other.

Mortal Kombat is a series that constantly tries to make it look like each character is unique but fails because in the end they just have a different stance and all their attacks do the same thing. At least Tekken has variation on its side, even if it is incredibly slow.

I think that both franchises suck very hard, but I'm yet another person who loved MKII back in the day (in other words, when I was 9). I can still kick my friends' asses at it because I'm just so much more oldskool than them.

Either way, I'd rather play Street Fighter or Guilty Gear. MK and Tekken are both mainly 3D now and I don't like 3D fighters at all. (Yes I know GG has a 3D game; it's an action/RTS and not a fighting game. Shut it.)

Breine
08-25-2008, 08:09 PM
Tekken. A thousand times Tekken.

Tekken. A gazillion times Tekken.

Rocket Edge
08-26-2008, 01:21 AM
Tekken, definitely.

Boney King
08-26-2008, 04:21 AM
Funny, I was just talking about this exact topic with a friend earlier today. She grew up with Mortal Kombat and is a big fan of it, so she prefers that, and I prefer Tekken because some of my fondest gaming memories come from endlessly playing Tekken 3 and Tekken Tag Tournament with my buddies.

Really, I like both for different reasons; Mortal Kombat for its presentation and mythos, Tekken for its gameplay and the nostalgiac effects it has on me.

I want to find a copy of Tekken 3 now.

Ultima9999
08-26-2008, 03:18 PM
I'm gonna have to go with Tekken. I'm an old game player so i grew up with Mortal Kombat when it first hit the arcades back in the early to mid 90's and thought it was the greatest game then I played tekken and said well screw MK this is my new fighting game that I must play over and over. Tekken gets my vote everytime.