PDA

View Full Version : Exchange students

Breine
08-24-2008, 07:56 PM
So, the other day I was at a party where an exchange student from Japan also was present. Her name was Shoko or something like that (I didn't really catch it, 'cause of the alcohol flowing trough my veins and the loud music pumping in the background). Anyway, we got to talking and I asked her about must-sees in Tokyo since I'm going there next year. We had a nice little chat and she seemed like a really sweet girl (plus, she had the asian cuteness-factor going for her). Of course I had to tell her what a big japanophile I am and how much I love Hayao Miyazaki, Battle Royale, Final Fantasy and all that other great stuff - all that nerdiness probably made her think I was somewhat of a freakazoid or something, but whatever :) Exchange students are great.. back in high school we also had two of them at the same time in my class (Juliana from Brazil and Dalia from Lithuania).

Anyway, here's for the topic: What's your experience with exchange students? What do you think of the whole thing, and have you ever been one yourself?

Zeldy
08-24-2008, 08:00 PM
My old school had some link with a school in Germany and we did exchanges between them every few years. So people from our school went to live with people in Germany and then they came to live over here in the UK with the other family. So we had this wave of Germans in, and one called Yanis I think, we (our year) taught him all our swear words and rude hand signals.

We all loled so hard when we'd hear him say them. :p

Jessweeee♪
08-24-2008, 08:07 PM
Hahahaha the girls always fight over the exchange students at my school xD

Rye
08-24-2008, 08:35 PM
If it all ends up right, I'll be studying abroad in England for a semester or, hopefully, a school year, next year. Be afraid, Englishmen and Englishwomen. Be very afraid. :jess:

Clouded Sky
08-24-2008, 08:47 PM
I am going to be an exchange student next year. In Tokyo, no less. EoFF Tokyo Meetup anyone? :p

Madame Adequate
08-24-2008, 08:50 PM
One of my good friends at college, Marianna, is Portugese! But she's not an exchange student. The only one of those I recall was a girl called Sarah from like... Florida or something. Very very quiet girl. Never spoke to her.

cloud21zidane16
08-24-2008, 09:27 PM
We sometimes get German students come over here for a few weeks, one came out with us a lot during the day and night, and he was quite shocked at the way we lived, such as everyone getting drunk every friday night lol:p

Rantz
08-24-2008, 09:33 PM
There are some exchange students at my college but they don't talk much and I think they're probably just researching to make bombs or something.

Old Manus
08-24-2008, 09:43 PM
back in high school we also had two of them at the same time in my class (Juliana from Brazil and Dalia from Lithuania)http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v491/oldmanus/highfive.jpg

Yar
08-24-2008, 10:26 PM
Every year of my high-school career, our neighbors across the street hosted a Japanese student. I remember we used to get nice sized groups of all the exchange students and quite a few students from school and we'd do things like go bowling and such.

I remember in my freshman year, it was the first year that Afghani students could participate in foreign exchange. It was very good, because at the time we were at war and having him coming silenced a lot prejudiced thoughts and edjucated much of the student body about what Middle-Eastern people really are like.

We also had German kids quite often. My senior year there was a girl from Germany who was VERY sarcastic, so that meant we had to instantly be best friends. ;)

rubah
08-24-2008, 10:46 PM
I've done study abroad, I don't know if it was really an exchange program? maybe it is. But one of the girls with us was an exchange student for sure; she was from japan and going to school at uofa :D double foreign!

Rengori
08-25-2008, 03:02 AM
One of my best friends moved here from Japan a few months (not sure if just moving here counts as Exchange Student). He doesn't speak English that well but he's awesome and draws well. He's trying to learn new stuff in English, which unfortunately some people who are jerks and MTV make for some really random stuff that he says. One time I said hello and asked him what's up and he just shouted out "smurf THE POLICE". And every now and then he gets me in trouble when he jokingly tells everyone else I'm the one teaching him this stuff. xD

Kirobaito
08-25-2008, 03:20 AM
I will be an exchange student for the fall semester, at the University of Edinburgh in Scotland.

My high school had three that I can remember, though I'm sure others that I didn't pay enough attention to. There was a girl from Turkmenistan whose name escapes me, a girl from China named Yayu (who actually never went *back* to China, and a girl from Japan named something Japanesey. I did not really know any of them.

I Took the Red Pill
08-25-2008, 03:22 AM
In high school, we had two from Germany, one from Poland, one from Venezuela, one from China, one from Norway, and one from Poland that I can remember. I'm sure there were more but those are the only ones that stick out at the moment. I became pretty good friends with the two German kids, and the Venezuelan girl was fun to flirt with because she didn't understand most of what I was saying :monster:

edit: Brazil, Chile, Italy. And I know I'm forgetting some. Damn, we had a lot.

Montoya
08-25-2008, 04:14 AM
Back in high school we had an exchange student from China, I didn't really know her personally, but I heard that she was all excited to come to California but ended up crying when she found out there was no beaches and it was nothing like on TV. :rolleyes2

Meow
08-25-2008, 07:12 AM
it's hilarious to me to see eastern exchange students invest in traveling to the cultural melting pot that is the USA only to get mobbed by japophile nerds talking jRPGs, animu, and suuuper kawaii neko blahblah heartshape whatever

Moon Rabbits
08-25-2008, 07:31 AM
I have never met foreign exchange students. Although, I'm really hoping there will be some new randoms at my school (possibly foreign, possibly sexy!) this year because all my friends have graduated and I've grown to hate everything in that building except myself.

Rye
08-25-2008, 02:20 PM
In high school, we had two from Germany, one from Poland, one from Venezuela, one from China, one from Norway, and one from Poland that I can remember. I'm sure there were more but those are the only ones that stick out at the moment. I became pretty good friends with the two German kids, and the Venezuelan girl was fun to flirt with because she didn't understand most of what I was saying :monster:

edit: Brazil, Chile, Italy. And I know I'm forgetting some. Damn, we had a lot.

Wtf? Why would exchange to the middle of nowhere aka upstate NY. xD Jeez. We didn't get any down here, where the action is. D:

Breine
08-25-2008, 04:08 PM
back in high school we also had two of them at the same time in my class (Juliana from Brazil and Dalia from Lithuania)http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v491/oldmanus/highfive.jpg

...erm, what? xD

Damn, we had a lot.

Yeah, we had so too. Other than the two girls from Brazil and Lithuania that I mentioned, we also had people from Spain, Japan (another one than the girl mentioned in the first post), Australia, Hungary, The US and so on when I was in high school.

Namelessfengir
08-25-2008, 08:23 PM
we've had 4 that remember.
now i dont remember their name so these are the generalizations

el salvador kid = fire bombed cops
german girl = tall
japanese girl = didn't have any real interaction
japanese dude = likes that lipton green tea

and my aunt had a brazilian chick but i never met her