PDA

View Full Version : Mass Effect

Mirage
08-25-2008, 12:00 AM
I just recently picked up this game and it seems pretty good so far.

It is a sci-fi 'western style' action RPG, with space travels and lots of alien races and stuff. The game was originally for the XB360, but seeing as I don't have one but do have a PC, I got it for the PC. the graphics are great, but my graphics card is pretty old, it was only mid-end when i got it 3 years ago. However, I ordered a new graphics card this friday, and with it, i'll probably get better graphics than on the 360, even though the card only cost half of what a 360 costs. All this techno babble is besides the point though.

The game seems very non-linear, and there are lots of subquests to do. There are a lot of areas to explore, and i really enjoy the feeling i get from travelling around the entire galaxy and land on planets close to phenomenas we know of today, such as the horse head nebula.

Strangely though, it looks like a horse head from the overview galaxy map too, which shouldn't be possible considering it only looks like one from the direction our planet is in :p. But that doesn't make it look any less awesome!

I guess my interest in space and technology makes me *slightly* biased, but i'm sure a lot of less-nerdy people would enjoy it too. If you've got a 360 or a decently specced PC, get this game now!

Oh yeah, i forgot a topic.

Do you like Mass Effect? If you do, please use this thread to discuss the game without too many spoilers, and make sure to mark them.

DK
08-25-2008, 12:27 AM
Just completed it the other day, I played it about halfway through, had a really long layoff then picked it up again a few weeks ago and finished it. Overall, though it had a few flaws, it is pretty much one of my favourite games of all time. It's just so ridiculously in depth, I love the codex and just exploring new systems and stuff. The story really starts to pick up the further you progress and by the end I ended up completely ignoring the side quests (I did almost all of them) because I wanted to find out what was happening.

But yeah overall I loved it and I can't wait for the next in the series to come out.

Tifa's Real Lover(really
08-25-2008, 01:22 AM
i have no idea what to think about this game =/

Vyk
08-25-2008, 01:24 AM
I quit playing after a bogus decision was forced on me. I know its supposed to make you make tough decisions and make you face the consequinces. But there's not really any options at this one point and I didn't like the outcome, which wouldn't have happened had I actually been able to make the decision (I know it sounds like I'm bitching about the storyline, and if it were just storyline it'd be fine. But they mask this one thing in the form of a decision when its not and it completely ruins the effect). I don't hate the game because of this by any degree. But I sort of fell out with it after that. Its been a few months. I've been thinking of picking it back up

EDIT (even though this topic is probably dead already): Just put the game back in and beat it in like 5 hours. Apparently I had forgotten. I put the game away because of what I mentioned earlier but it was only for a short time. I forgot I went ahead and tried to beat the game and got stuck on an interesting boss battle very near the final confrontation. I quit playing to re-energize. Usually when I take a break on a hard part like that I figure it out immediately upon return. Which is exactly what happened. Only it was my nephew facing the boss and not me. I helped him get by it and just sort of forgot about the game since I knew how to whip it, I was in no hurry to get it over with. But now I have, and then went on to beat the whole game. So yeah. Pretty awesome game except for that one forced decision :]

There's an option to play through the game again using your same team, and you get achievements for the second play through and playing on harder difficulties. But I can't think of any reason to play through again. Other than to see the outcome of choices I wouldn't even make

theundeadhero
09-04-2008, 11:20 PM
I was seriously disapointed in my lack of ability to make a female character that was hot. One day I will make one. That will be the day I start to play Mass Effect.