PDA

View Full Version : Packing

Rye
08-25-2008, 12:26 AM
I move into my dorm in 5 (!!?!?!) days, so I've been packing. It's kind of difficult and insane because I want to bring everything I own, and I kind of can't, since I'm sharing a box sized room with 2 other girls for at least 2 - 4 weeks (you can detriple your rooms after that, which I might need to do, because I need space) and won't have much room. ;o

I have a big suitcase, and that filled up about a 1/10th of my closet, and that's not even close to good enough for when I go over there. This is going to be quite an ordeal. :Oo:

Tell us your packing stories.

Yar
08-25-2008, 12:34 AM
Are you going to school far away from home?

I refuse to go far away for school because I don't want to share a dorm. If the school says I live too far away, my back-up plan is to change my permanent address to my step-mom's house where she grew up to avoid living in a dorm. That house is like 5 blocks away. ;)

I remember packing for my mom's house. I got irritated because I was packing things my way, but my parents kept telling me that I was packing things wrong. They were trying to group like-items, while I was trying to keep everything that was together together!

rubah
08-25-2008, 12:36 AM
suitcases are fail way.

My method is to stuff all my clothes in plastic bags and then non-clothes in tubs, my shoes in a big box, and my plates in the microwave or fridge. Is very effective.

XxSephirothxX
08-25-2008, 12:38 AM
When I was getting ready to move away to college I packed up the vast majority of my personal possessions, excluding larger objects such as television chair table etc. into a few boxes and a couple bags. This included the things I planned to take with me to school, and the things I was going to leave at home. I don't remember how long it took. Probably 2-3 hours to pack up just about everything. Of course, there are always a few loose odds and ends.

I refuse to go far away for school because I don't want to share a dorm. If the school says I live too far away, my back-up plan is to change my permanent address to my step-mom's house where she grew up to avoid living in a dorm. That house is like 5 blocks away. ;)

Living at home? You're going to miss out on a lot.

Rye
08-25-2008, 12:40 AM
Are you going to school far away from home?

Yeah, about 4 hours away. And uck, I really don't want to share a dorm either, but the way I'm planning things, it'll only be for this one year, then I'll be getting an apartment near this campus/college I may want to transfer to in NYC. ;o

But sharing a tiny room with 4 people would be better than staying at home for college. xD I honestly could not do that. My parents are too much.

I Took the Red Pill
08-25-2008, 12:44 AM
I move into my dorm tomorrow. I packed quite a bit, but it didn't take that long at all. Barely an hour total, I'd say. I guess you pull up and all the RA's swarm your car and carry all your stuff up to your room, so I'm looking forward to doing nothing tomorrow. 8-)

(until unpacking rears its ugly head)

Madame Adequate
08-25-2008, 12:47 AM
Oddly enough, I soon face the not-challenge of packing because I am going to visit Rye in a little under 3 weeks. :D It's never been a deal for me. I get the whole lot done in like half an hour, then it's just a case of checking to make sure I have it all, and of buying anything I might be lacking. I've never understood it being a big deal, but then I grew up packing for extended times away from home twice a year or more, so it's pretty much a non-event for me. :p

Yeah - a lot of debt.

Rye
08-25-2008, 12:48 AM
The thing I'm most worried about is the fact that my parents refused to book a hotel room the night before so I could get to the college ridiculously early so I could pick the lofted bed and big desk. Instead, we have to wake up at like, 4 in the morning and drive there and I'll probably be one of the last people there and get the nasty bed with the little desk so I won't have enough space to put my clothes. ;;

PS: Huxley, that's because you're planning on being naked the whole time, you terrible pervert. :Oo:

Kirobaito
08-25-2008, 12:48 AM
I move into my dorm tomorrow. I packed quite a bit, but it didn't take that long at all. Barely an hour total, I'd say. I guess you pull up and all the RA's swarm your car and carry all your stuff up to your room, so I'm looking forward to doing nothing tomorrow. 8-)

(until unpacking rears its ugly head)
Ha, yeah, that won't happen.

In less than a month I'm going to have to irreversibly pack all I need in two suitcases flat, keeping within airline bag restrictions. I have no idea how I'm going to do this.

Rye
08-25-2008, 12:52 AM
I'd like to also add that my big suitcase could probably fit my body inside of it, and that's still not all I want to bring. I'm kind of hoping that I won't have to leave half of my clothes in the car. D:

XxSephirothxX
08-25-2008, 12:57 AM
I guess you pull up and all the RA's swarm your car and carry all your stuff up to your room, so I'm looking forward to doing nothing tomorrow. 8-)
This sounds...most unusual.

Yeah - a lot of debt.
And a lot of what makes college college, and that's coming from someone who doesn't go out to parties and get hammered. Not living in a dorm, or at least in an apartment, isolates you from so much.

Zeldy
08-25-2008, 01:01 AM
I have never packed, I leave it to my Mum who is just way good at it.

Yar
08-25-2008, 05:19 AM

Meh, it's not like I'm never going to be on campus or in any activities. It's just I have better uses for $10,000 than living expenses when I could live down the street. :-/

rubah
08-25-2008, 05:56 AM
My scholarship pays for x amount of housing; you can use it toward a dorm room or an apartment. no debt here 8)

Uark has this thing called Lead Hogs where people sign up to move in early and get a t-shirt and they help people move stuff up to their rooms from 8-12. Mostly for freshman benefit, but they got my fridge up here this year:)

Misfit
08-25-2008, 05:59 AM
We're moving to a nicer place soon, Sept 1 is the official date. This will be the 8th time I've moved. I hate packing everything, but I like moving :D And yeah, boxes. Lots of boxes.

Moon Rabbits
08-25-2008, 06:09 AM
I also hate packing but love moving. I have moved five times (that I can remember) in my lifetime. I do the whole "off to uni" thing next year, though ... maybe. If not, the year after.

Packing has never been much of a problem because I do not squirrel things away like most people. I have a bed, books, a television, a laptop, clothes, and a closet/dresser thing. BAM! Everything I own.

Miriel
08-25-2008, 06:13 AM
I'm a typical girl. I just don't know how to pack lightly. Even if I'm visiting my boyfriend for only 2 days, I bring a big suitcase packed with clothes and maybe 4 different pairs of shoes. I like being prepared.

My University is only 17 miles from home so my initial moving in wasn't so bad. I just brought the stuff I needed immediately. But over the next few months I kept bringing more and more stuff from home. So that moving out from the dorms was an absolute bitch. I had SO MUCH STUFF crammed in my dorm room. Same thing happened when I moved into my various apartments, Sophomore, Junior and Senior year. Box after box after box full of stuff. When I moved from my Junior year apartment to my Senior year apartment, I actually had to get an actual moving company to help me out. :p

XxSephirothxX
08-25-2008, 06:19 AM
Uark has this thing called Lead Hogs where people sign up to move in early and get a t-shirt and they help people move stuff up to their rooms from 8-12. Mostly for freshman benefit, but they got my fridge up here this year:)
I remember carrying a mini-fridge to my room (9th floor) at the end of Christmas break. My roommate and I were coming back from 3 weeks off, so we had all our stuff with us, and the fridge. Even though we took the elevator, hauling that thing from the parking deck to the lobby to the room was absolutely hellish. :p

Marshall Banana
08-25-2008, 09:24 AM
My shampoo always leaks!

And a lot of what makes college college, and that's coming from someone who doesn't go out to parties and get hammered. Not living in a dorm, or at least in an apartment, isolates you from so much.
Living on campus isn't for everyone. =O

Madame Adequate
08-25-2008, 02:45 PM
Yeah - a lot of debt.

What makes college college for me is getting that piece of paper that says I'm a smart motherfucker, so I can go get another one and prove I'm an even smarter motherfucker. I have fun hanging out with people, but there's very very few things I feel bad for missing out on in the two years I've been in college so far. I am not aware of anything at all which would justify spending thousands per year to experience. Not even close.

Breine
08-25-2008, 04:13 PM
Puh-lease, Rye. I'm going to pack for a 7 months trip, and it all has to fit in a backpack that can contain 60-70 Liters :P But then again, I'm not actually moving to another place, just travelling around and stuff..

Rye
08-25-2008, 05:58 PM
Puh-lease, Rye. I'm going to pack for a 7 months trip, and it all has to fit in a backpack that can contain 60-70 Liters :P But then again, I'm not actually moving to another place, just travelling around and stuff..

But you're like, backpacking through Europe from hostel to hostel! That's different!

Magixion
08-25-2008, 06:19 PM
What makes college college for me is getting that piece of paper that says I'm a smart mothersmurfer, so I can go get another one and prove I'm an even smarter mothersmurfer. I have fun hanging out with people, but there's very very few things I feel bad for missing out on in the two years I've been in college so far. I am not aware of anything at all which would justify spending thousands per year to experience. Not even close.

I totally agree. I am living with my parents while I got to school, but then again they have a really big house and I just live in the basement, which I have all to myself. It has a computer room, a ping pong table, a living room, a little kitchen with a mini fridge, and then my bedroom. So, I basically have my own apartment that I do not have to pay for. Also, I still go out and hang out with friends every weekend and have a good time, so I am not missing out on much.

Heath
08-25-2008, 06:44 PM
Yeah - a lot of debt.

What makes college college for me is getting that piece of paper that says I'm a smart mothersmurfer, so I can go get another one and prove I'm an even smarter mothersmurfer. I have fun hanging out with people, but there's very very few things I feel bad for missing out on in the two years I've been in college so far. I am not aware of anything at all which would justify spending thousands per year to experience. Not even close.

Makes sense pragmatically and I think were I going to a university closer to home and I drove, probably something I'd have considered doing myself. However, I think it'll benefit me in the long term to get out of North Wales for a bit. Though I certainly agree with you on the reasons why I'm going to university.

I've only packed for sort of week-long trips, though I'll soon have to pack for university myself. No idea how that'll go, but I've never had much trouble packing for a simple trip away when I used to visit someone in Scotland. Hopefully it shan't be too much of a pain.

Breine
08-25-2008, 06:57 PM

But you're like, backpacking through Europe from hostel to hostel! That's different!

Not Europe, but Asia and the US. Even coming to New York ;)

Rye
08-25-2008, 07:25 PM

Wohohoho! Do you know when you plan on going to NY? I'll visit you!

Peegee
08-25-2008, 07:39 PM
When I moved about an hour half away from home I moved all of the stuff I needed to via several trips. Usually in boxes.

The larger things that wouldn't fit in my car (bed) I bought in the new city. It's more effective, akin to burning your house down, collecting insurance, and moving to a new place and buying new things (I highly suggest this)

Breine
08-25-2008, 08:04 PM

Wohohoho! Do you know when you plan on going to NY? I'll visit you!

I'll be in New York around April 1st next year, and I'm going home to Denmark again April 11th :) So, ten days of New Yorky goodness for me!