PDA

View Full Version : What does Final Fantasy mean to you?

Bastian
08-25-2008, 02:24 AM
To me, it means swords and sorcery and four elemental crystals and Chocobos. Maybe that's why I've never played the post-VI games.

What does "Final Fantasy" as a series mean to you?

Jessweeee♪
08-25-2008, 02:33 AM
It means neat-o RPG that has some pretty darn cool music in it.

Comet
08-25-2008, 03:51 AM
Final Fantasy just reminds me of a naked chick on my bed beggin me to...

:(

Marky Tee
08-28-2008, 10:47 AM
endless hours of my life wasted infront of a tv screen when i could be out living a full life!!
yet i keep coming back for more and more

Bolivar
08-28-2008, 09:48 PM
To me, it means swords and sorcery and four elemental crystals and Chocobos. Maybe that's why I've never played the post-VI games.

What does "Final Fantasy" as a series mean to you?

Um, all of the post-VI games have all of that, with the exception that VIII, IX, and XII only had one great crystal, XI had 5, and X just kinda represented it with something else.

FF to me is the (now co-)flagship series of Square-Enix, an innovator in the realm of console designing and one of the leaders in the video game industry. With the release of each game comes an impact that is definitely felt. It's some of the best games I've ever played, not only RPGs and I know each time I start "new game" i'm in for one hell of an adventure.

Vivisteiner
08-28-2008, 10:25 PM
Final Fantasy is God to me. If I had a religion, it would be Final Fantasy - specifically FFIX, but Final Fantasy in general as well.

In my religion, the different FF games are prophets, with FFIX being the extra special Messiah.

I also second the other posts in here, apart from the first. I mean, whats so special about four crystals. One's good enough. Wanting more is just being greedy.

Vermachtnis
08-28-2008, 10:34 PM
Final Fantasy means finding overpowered treasures and killing overpowered monsters.

Momiji
08-28-2008, 11:24 PM
What does Final Fantasy mean to me? Past the SNES era, not much. :p

Final Fantasy IV is one of my all-time favorite games.

Zeromus_X
08-28-2008, 11:37 PM
Crystals.

ReloadPsi
08-29-2008, 12:11 AM
Fire, Firaga, Cure, Curaga, Haste, Slow, Regen, Protect, Shell, Reflect, Flare, Meteor, Ultima, Raise, Reraise and lots of other recurring spells.

Chocobos, Moogles, Mus, Goblins, pallette-swapped wolves, Flans, Shiva, Ifrit, Ramuh (or other thunder-based deity), Odin (Norse mythology FTW), Adamantoises, Bombs, and a load of other recurring creatures.

Potion, Hi-Potion, Ether, Phoenix Down, all the weapon names I kinda can't be bothered to go on about right now. Did I mention recurring?

In other words, a bunch of vocabulary. Weird eh? That makes FF for me. No idea why.

Wolf Kanno
08-30-2008, 04:57 AM
Didn't I do this before? Oh yeah... I did it in this thread. :cool:
http://forums.eyesonff.com/general-final-fantasy/108450-define-ff-experience.html

For those too lazy to read the whole thing...

Anyway, what the FF experience is to me...

Certainly there is the high quality in music, visuals, story telling, characters and gameplay but they are just extentions that don't truly add to the whole. FF is very innovative and daring and that's something I've always liked, even when I didn't agree I can still respect the choices made.

To me, I guess FF is an experience that one loses themselves in... Whether it's the story, the characters, the music, the journey or just trying to kill three more imps so you can have enough Exp. to learn that spell you're missing. The games represent such complex themes but they are told in a way that doesn't alienate anyone. Destiny (FFI),
War (FFII), Balance (FFIII), Redemption (FFIV), Inheritance (FFV), Hope (FFVI), Life (FFVII), Love (FFVIII), Meaning of Life (FFIX), Journey (FFX), Companionship (FFXI), and Freedom (FFXII)

The series beautifully represents every one of these themes and even in the cases of games that have severe technology limitation, they show that sometimes not saying anything and just watching, just experiencing the moment can truly show the emotion. From learning the twisted truth of fate in the ending of FFI to Cecil's journey to redeem himself from his sins, to Squall desperately struggling to save Rinoa in the vacuum of space, to Larsa's struggle to take the first step in building good relations with Dalamasca... All these moments truly reach a level that speaks to the very core of people.

Sure the series gets lost in the hype and the fan bantering of which is the best. Sometimes the expectations become unrealistic and perhaps most of look back and think the old days were better but in truth I think we are fooling ourselves cause we begin to wish that every game can reach out and speak to us like that one we all hold dear. The games are all well crafted and though I may not feel anything for some titles I still see that level of quality I expect even if it's not my personal taste;)

I think the FF experience is in representing the human element. Some RPGs and even books and movies can be considered good stories or fun but only a few can reach out and touch that personal part of us and to me, the series as a whole has been able to do this. Some more than others. The point is to get lost in the adventure, whether through it's wonderful cast, it's well crafted stories or just in exploring the magical worlds set before us. That is what FF means to me. They are a glimpse into the final great adventures of these worlds and we're invited along for the ride.:cool:

Formalhaut
08-30-2008, 05:22 AM
The magnificent weapons.

Project G
08-30-2008, 12:17 PM
Cool swords, amazing magic, weird characters, in-depth stories, kickass music, cool clothes, bad sequels (I haven't played Revenant Wings though), really fantastic monster ideas (I mean, who would really think of the idea of having a PuPu or a Magic Pot as monsters?)

Suvious
08-30-2008, 01:23 PM
In Final Fantasy I find many things, but my core favourite is the epic adventures, and the story line that is unveiled as it proceeds through dangers, love and forgotten pasts. To me it means a parallel universe that could have been, one of great epic proportions in which I can enter! Final Fantasy isn't merely a game, it's a tale of romance, adventure and fun rolled into one.

cloud_doll
09-14-2008, 02:48 AM
I just find it fun. Something to pass the time, with good stories and good music to make the time more enjoyable.

black orb
09-14-2008, 04:13 PM
>>> Best videogame series ever and neverending inspiration.

I Don't Need A Name
09-14-2008, 06:09 PM
a bloody good idea