PDA

View Full Version : Square Enix Plans To Take Over Tecmo.

Croyles
08-29-2008, 03:56 AM
Today at 1pm Japan Time, Square Enix will be outlining its plans for a friendly takeover troubled game maker Tecmo. Square Enix's takeover would help the company gain a stronger foothold in the U.S. market with popular Tecmo titles like the Ninja Gaiden and Dead or Alive games. What's more, Tecmo's games will help strengthen Square Enix's current portfolio, which is heavily dependent on RPGs.

This isn't the first time Square Enix has moved in on a beleaguered company. In August 2005, Square Enix acquired Taito and wholly owned the company as a subsidiary by September 2005.

Breaking: Square Enix Plans To Take Over Tecmo (http://kotaku.com/5043307/square-enix-plans-to-take-over-tecmo)

Huh, that is very strange... Ninja Gaiden RPG? Is Itagaki gonna hassle SE for his bonus pay?

Itagaki will probably try to sue SE for something, and then drunkenly break into their office when he loses the case.

Will all future Final Fantasy game characters have insanely huge boobs?
Discuss.

http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/9/2008/08/itagaki.jpg
"You still owe me my bonus! And skin cream!"

Vyk
08-29-2008, 04:44 AM
Ita supposedly left Tecmo anyway and took a good percent of Team Ninja with him. So I think this is good. Tecmo has trouble standing without him. So I guess his rockstar attitude is warranted but was apparently unwelcome. Maybe Square can give them the guidance they need without him. I think its good for both companies. Square can now make a quality fighting game for once. And Tecmo can focus on more than just pretty and fast

Nifleheim7
08-29-2008, 09:21 AM
I guess Dead Fantasy wont be "Fantasy" for long.:tongue:

On another note (but because you mentioned him) here's what Itagaki responded to PlatinumGames' Hideki Kamiya's claim that no one has improved 3D action games since DevilMayCry:
"Was he asleep for 8 years?...There are 2 types of people out there who like to make controversial,splashy comments.There are those who are truly outspoken,and there are those who are just trying to cover up for their weaknesses.We have a saying here in Japan-'The weaker dogs bark more'-and i sincerely like to remind him to make sure to stay awake for the next years."

This was in the last issue of Edge,and personally i also found Kamiya's statement quite arrogant.Not very typical for a Japanese.But Itagaki isn't a typical Japanese also.:D
But anyway,sorry for the off-topic insertion.

ReloadPsi
08-29-2008, 11:06 AM
Excellent, maybe we'll see a remake of Secret Of The Stars that won't be as awful ^____^

Croyles
08-29-2008, 12:43 PM
I guess Dead Fantasy wont be "Fantasy" for long.:tongue:

On another note (but because you mentioned him) here's what Itagaki responded to PlatinumGames' Hideki Kamiya's claim that no one has improved 3D action games since DevilMayCry:
"Was he asleep for 8 years?...There are 2 types of people out there who like to make controversial,splashy comments.There are those who are truly outspoken,and there are those who are just trying to cover up for their weaknesses.We have a saying here in Japan-'The weaker dogs bark more'-and i sincerely like to remind him to make sure to stay awake for the next years."

This was in the last issue of Edge,and personally i also found Kamiya's statement quite arrogant.Not very typical for a Japanese.But Itagaki isn't a typical Japanese also.:D
But anyway,sorry for the off-topic insertion.

Lol. This is old. Funny thing is "The weaker dog barks more" is the best sentence to describe Itagaki himself. Ita is nearly a big an idiot as Uwe Boll and Jack Thompson imo.

He was fired from Tecmo btw, he didnt quit. He also claimed the he made the Ninja Gaiden games by himself.

But yeah, I reckon the take over is probably good for both developers.

Dreddz
08-29-2008, 03:47 PM
This would be good for Square Enix if Tecmo meant something anymore. Pretty much the entire team who made Ninja Gaiden and DOA have left. I don't see Tecmo being a great asset to Square Enix, but I hope I am wrong.

Roto13
08-29-2008, 05:02 PM

Lol. This is old. Funny thing is "The weaker dog barks more" is the best sentence to describe Itagaki himself. Ita is nearly a big an idiot as Uwe Boll and Jack Thompson imo.

He was fired from Tecmo btw, he didnt quit. He also claimed the he made the Ninja Gaiden games by himself.

But yeah, I reckon the take over is probably good for both developers.

He's such a tool. And he rarely knows what he's mouthing off about. Example:

My daughter tried playing Okami, and she got sick of it pretty quickly-and I got pretty sick of it, too. And I'm not out to make this an Okami bashing session or anything — I'm just saying that it didn't feel like it had much of a spirit.

What the fuck? Okami doesn't have spirit? This from a man who makes games about tits flailing at each other? Give me a break.

Flying Mullet
08-29-2008, 05:07 PM
Does this mean we'll see a DS remake of Tecmo Bowl?

Moon Rabbits
08-29-2008, 06:13 PM
Neat, I think this could result in some pretty rad games.

On another note: LOL@ITAGAKI. He is such the prima donna.

Roogle
08-29-2008, 06:24 PM
Well, this certainly bodes well for the creator of the viral video, Dead Fantasy. I wonder if Tecmo will continue to produce games from its main franchises — Ninja Gaiden, Monster Rancher, Dead or Alive — after being taken over by Square Enix?

darkchrono
08-30-2008, 09:35 AM

That is the first thing that always comes to my mind when I hear the word Tecmo. Is Tecmo Bowl.

Lol, that would be quite a change if Square started making NFL games.

I take that back. Square couldn't make NFL games even if they wanted to because EA sports owns the sole rights to making games under the NFL name.

Markus. D
08-30-2008, 09:54 AM
I hope that means future Monster Rancher games will get a PAL release :D?

Momiji
08-30-2008, 02:03 PM

No, it means we get Tecmo Bowl Fantasy. :monster:

:D

JKTrix
08-30-2008, 05:02 PM
Tecmo Bowl is already coming to the DS (http://blog.wired.com/games/2008/05/hands-on-tecmo.html).

I really see no reason for Tecmo to reject Squenix's offer. Though I do wonder what Squenix sees in Tecmo. From what I hear, Fatal Frame 4 (Tecmo/Suda51's most recent game, released in JP July 31) was buggy (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=330105) and Ninja Gaiden 2 had an update that made the game freeze (http://kotaku.com/5029904/ninja-gaiden-ii-mission-pack-take-2). I guess Squenix can save the company from going under if the next Dead Or Alive/Ninja Gaiden (Tecmo's best selling franchises) titles flop since they don't really have many/any other big titles to sustain the company.

darkchrono
08-30-2008, 06:24 PM
Tecmo Bowl is already coming to the DS (http://blog.wired.com/games/2008/05/hands-on-tecmo.html).

I really see no reason for Tecmo to reject Squenix's offer. Though I do wonder what Squenix sees in Tecmo. From what I hear, Fatal Frame 4 (Tecmo/Suda51's most recent game, released in JP July 31) was buggy (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=330105) and Ninja Gaiden 2 had an update that made the game freeze (http://kotaku.com/5029904/ninja-gaiden-ii-mission-pack-take-2). I guess Squenix can save the company from going under if the next Dead Or Alive/Ninja Gaiden (Tecmo's best selling franchises) titles flop since they don't really have many/any other big titles to sustain the company.

Tecmo should have continued on with their football franchise. Back in the early and mid 90's their football games were EXTREMELY popular (I'd imagine that they had just as good of sales or even a little better sales than the Madden series).

I don't know what the reasoning was but they never continued their football series into the playstation era.

ReloadPsi
08-30-2008, 06:27 PM
Wow, now the poll on GameFAQs is "What would you like to see come out of this merger?"

Currently winning is "Cloud Strife and Ryu Hayabusa battling to the death" and right behind it is "Final Fantasy Xtreme Beach Volleyball".

In terms of gamers' tastes, the bar just got lowered, baby! Thank god that's only hypothetical.

Vyk
08-30-2008, 07:15 PM
You think so, huh?

Wolf Kanno
08-30-2008, 07:53 PM
Wow, now the poll on GameFAQs is "What would you like to see come out of this merger?"

Currently winning is "Cloud Strife and Ryu Hayabusa battling to the death" and right behind it is "Final Fantasy Xtreme Beach Volleyball".

In terms of gamers' tastes, the bar just got lowered, baby! Thank god that's only hypothetical.

Thank you, Thank you so much for reminding me why I don't bother going to their forums...

I'm with a few people on the notion that I really cannot see what SE gets out of this merger besides the rights to a few decent franchises. I guess I'm bias cause I never thought highly of DOA and I never cared for Ninja Gaiden or Tecmo Bowl.

Croyles
08-30-2008, 09:55 PM
For all we know they might not continue any of those franchises but start something fresh. Maybe...

Bolivar
09-01-2008, 02:44 AM
I'm with a few people on the notion that I really cannot see what SE gets out of this merger besides the rights to a few decent franchises.

Dude, that's the point! These days, if a merger results in at least 1 decent franchise, that's a win for the larger company.

I think it could be good. When Squaresoft took over Quest, they only went on to make better games than the Ogre Battle series (My opinion! OB fans don't hate!), including one of my favorite RPG's of all time (Final Fantasy Tactics), culminating with Final Fantasy XII.

Tecmo bowl was the ish back in the dizzay. I'd be more interested in Monster Rancher, though. 100%. I skipped 4, and didn't bother with the GBA/DS games, but a new Monster Rancher 5, under the Square-Enix umbrella, I'd be all over that. In a minute.

Wolf Kanno
09-01-2008, 03:12 AM
I'm with a few people on the notion that I really cannot see what SE gets out of this merger besides the rights to a few decent franchises.

Dude, that's the point! These days, if a merger results in at least 1 decent franchise, that's a win for the larger company.

I think it could be good. When Squaresoft took over Quest, they only went on to make better games than the Ogre Battle series (My opinion! OB fans don't hate!), including one of my favorite RPG's of all time (Final Fantasy Tactics), culminating with Final Fantasy XII.

Tecmo bowl was the ish back in the dizzay. I'd be more interested in Monster Rancher, though. 100%. I skipped 4, and didn't bother with the GBA/DS games, but a new Monster Rancher 5, under the Square-Enix umbrella, I'd be all over that. In a minute.

I guess I'm a bit bias cause I never cared for any of Tecmo's games to be honest. Granted I have never touched a Monster Rancher title so it could change down the road. It just doesn't seem like a good deal with Team Ninja partly gone. Its not like SE is known for fighting games, action games, or dare I say it? Volleyball titles. :p

I am curious to see if we'll get more out of this. I can't say I'm terribly impressed with the results of the Namco Bandai merger, especially when the titles I really wanted to play stayed Japanese exclusives. :(

Vyk
09-01-2008, 03:27 AM
Here comes Final Rancher and Monster Fantasy

Roto13
09-01-2008, 04:22 AM
Well, we never got Final Dragon Fantasy Quest XXX Monsters Tower.

Wolf Kanno
09-01-2008, 05:47 AM
Well, we never got Final Dragon Fantasy Quest XXX Monsters Tower.

Oh its coming Roto. Right after the third sequel to FFI which finally has the Light Warriors break from the time loop but cast into a parallel world that looks something like VI's world but its actually the future that Ultemacia is from but also the past before the events of FFII take place... Oh and FFVII-7 ;)

Jessweeee♪
09-04-2008, 02:01 AM
o.o

Nifleheim7
09-04-2008, 09:31 AM
Breaking: Tecmo Rejects Square Enix's Takeover Offer (http://kotaku.com/5045253/tecmo-rejects-square-enixs-takeover-offer)
Dead Dynasty Ninja Warriors Gaiden (http://kotaku.com/5045256/tecmo-and-koei-in-talks-to-merge):p

I never thought that Tecmo will refuse Squares offer...i'm not a fan of their games but they sure gained some respect,at least from me.

JKTrix
09-04-2008, 12:44 PM
That's like rejecting a job from Donald Trump because the grocery store around the corner asked first.

Croyles
09-04-2008, 01:19 PM
Pretty silly imo...

Tecmo and Koei? Hmmm.

EDIT: Actually it makes sense. SE offered a takeover whereas Koei offered a merger. If SE took over Tecmo the franchises would likely have gone under the table, with Tecmo being used for new programmers/designers etc. With Koei it kind of makes more sense.

Dreddz
09-04-2008, 02:20 PM
I actually think merging with Koei is a great idea from Tecmo. If Tecmo were taken over by Square Enix their name would be forgotten and all their franchises would soon be seen as Square Enix franchises. Merging with Koei means they can keep their name out there and slowly start to become a juggernaut similar to Square Enix. Although they would need to start working on some new franchises that can appeal outside a niche audience which all their franchises at the moment aren't doing.

Croyles
09-04-2008, 02:53 PM
The only thing I ever liked about Tecmo was the pure battle system in Ninja Gaiden, everything else from Tecmo and even everything else in Ninja Gaiden was, to me, a big pile of steaming Brad Pitts.

Hoping for some new franchises!

Dreddz
09-04-2008, 03:02 PM
I'm the same as you Croyles. The only franchise I like by Tecmo is Ninja Gaiden. Despite my love for fighting games I don't even like Dead or Alive that much. As for Koei, I don't like any of their franchises although I did love Gitaroo Man.

Raebus
09-04-2008, 03:08 PM
It sounds like a good idea. I like a few of the games from tecmo and it's better for them to merge than be taken over completely.

JKTrix
09-04-2008, 04:10 PM
Obscure image joke time.
http://i33.:bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou:/2cmsuqh.jpg (Click)

That's Koei's Opoona peepin' his head into Tecmo's Fatal Frame 4, 2 Wii games.

Koei is sitting real pretty on top of their Romance of the 3 Kingdoms and Musou spinoff franchises in Japan. They don't have much to do with the west though, just the hardcore fans of the Musou games.

I kinda hope Square-Enix doesn't try to get both of them now. They did say that they would accept a rejection.

arcanedude34
09-04-2008, 08:48 PM
Today at 1pm Japan Time, Square Enix will be outlining its plans for a friendly takeover troubled game maker Tecmo. Square Enix's takeover would help the company gain a stronger foothold in the U.S. market with popular Tecmo titles like the Ninja Gaiden and Dead or Alive games. What's more, Tecmo's games will help strengthen Square Enix's current portfolio, which is heavily dependent on RPGs.

This isn't the first time Square Enix has moved in on a beleaguered company. In August 2005, Square Enix acquired Taito and wholly owned the company as a subsidiary by September 2005.Breaking: Square Enix Plans To Take Over Tecmo (http://kotaku.com/5043307/square-enix-plans-to-take-over-tecmo)

Huh, that is very strange... Ninja Gaiden RPG? Is Itagaki gonna hassle SE for his bonus pay?

Itagaki will probably try to sue SE for something, and then drunkenly break into their office when he loses the case.

Will all future Final Fantasy game characters have insanely huge boobs?
Discuss.

"You still owe me my bonus! And skin cream!"

imo, it can't be a bigger stretch than a Mario RPG. But then again, I liked Super Mario RPG. : P

And since when HAVEN'T FF females had huge boobs?

Roto13
09-04-2008, 09:02 PM
Most Final Fantasy female characters don't have huge boobs. Lulu and Tifa (and hers were reduced) are the only ones that pop into my head.

Nifleheim7
09-04-2008, 11:57 PM
Square Enix's answer to Tecmo's rejection (through RPGFan):

Square Enix reacted to the rejection by issuing a statement demanding Tecmo to explain, whether it rejected the friendly TOB as a result of its negotiations with Koei and whether a potential Tecmo - Koei tie-up would constitute a more lucrative deal than Square Enix's proposal. Depending on the answer to the second question, Tecmo should furthermore specify a more lucrative alternative proposal. Square Enix's management would only decide its future course of action once Tecmo's management had provided answers to the aforementioned questions.

RPGFan News - Tecmo to Team up with Koei? (http://www.rpgfan.com/news/2008/1378.html)

Markus. D
09-05-2008, 12:35 AM
I hate Dynasty Warriors :(

The only game I've liked so far was Samurai Warriors 2.

That should have been Dynasty Warriors 2, allowing them to have not made the 50 DW games they did on the PS2 and all the spinoffs and expansions -_-;

JKTrix
09-06-2008, 10:52 PM
Squenix says "Wut? Why? Xplain plz (http://kotaku.com/5045698/square-enix-responds-to-tecmo-takeover-rejection-seems-baffled)"

The Company immediately requested TECMO for explanation of some issues as follows:

1. Please confirm that the decision on the start of discussions with KOEI toward integration of management is the reason for rejection of the Proposal.

2. If that is the case, please clarify concretely that major terms of integration of management with KOEI (form of the integration, stock prices assumption, integration ratio and so forth) are favorable for TECMO's shareholders than the Proposal.

3. If not, please clarify that TECMO has an alternative plan, which is favorable for TECMO's shareholders than the Proposal.

The Company will make definitive decision on its plan immediately after receiving a response from TECMO.

For what it's worth, I saw something the other day that's like the estimated stock value (or something) for all the major Japanese game companies.

Nintendo
7 550 900 million Yen

Konami
452 000 million

+

Hudson (belongs to Konami)
32 800 million Yen

Square Enix Taito
408 800 million Yen

Bandai Namco
320 200 million Yen

Sega Sami
269 000 million Yen

Capcom
236 500 million Yen

Koei
181 200 million Yen
+
Tecmo
22 700 million Yen

Atlus
8 100 million Yen

AQ Interactive (Artoon+Cavia+FeelPlus+XSEED+Mistwalker)
7 100 million Yen

Falcom
2 800 million Yen

Tecmo alone would have been decent enough for Squenix to buy, but combined with Koei now it probably won't be so easy.

Raebus
09-06-2008, 10:57 PM
Square should just drop it already and move on.

arcanedude34
09-07-2008, 03:03 AM
Most Final Fantasy female characters don't have huge boobs..

You are technically right, but they do wear obscenely skimpy outfits to make their realistic boobs seem superhuman anyway.