PDA

View Full Version : genres

rubah
08-29-2008, 09:14 PM
what genres do you sort your music into?

I had a hard time coming up with one that fit both Beta Band and Modest Mouse but I think I got one and it fit Brand New too ("soft rock").

basically give me ideas and lists of bands you think fit certain genres to make my job easier.

Brennan
08-29-2008, 10:09 PM
Rock, Hard Rock
I'm your average teenager who dislikes rap :p

Madame Adequate
08-29-2008, 10:39 PM
Videogame remixes.

Bunny
08-29-2008, 10:58 PM
I use wikipedia for genre sorting.

Roto13
08-29-2008, 11:19 PM
I don't bother to sort by genre at all. I sort by artist name. So much easier that way.

Moon Rabbits
08-29-2008, 11:19 PM
I find it hard to classify my musical tastes. I listen to everything, really, including "country and rap," which most people who "listen to everything" promptly make sure others know they don't listen to.

My favorite "genre" is anything experimental. Blonde Redhead is best described as avant-garde or "no wave" - their new stuff relies heavily on layered synths, but their older stuff is defined by their use of strange guitar tuning and dissonant sounds. Bauhaus are similar in this respect.

I also really like lyrical music - Kate Bush, for instance. Generally I lump Lupe Fiasco into this category too, as I think the most distinct thing about his music is his lyrical ability.

J-pop also has a special place in my heart (Utada Hikaru, Onitsuka Chihiro).

Then there are the bands/artists I listen to just for the novelty. Shonen Knife, for instance, has really simplistic "punk" music, but their happy go-go style is what makes me love them.

Coma
08-29-2008, 11:40 PM
Post-Rock, Progressive (from metal to instrumental), and Power Metal.

DMKA
08-30-2008, 12:41 AM
I don't bother to sort by genre at all. I sort by artist name. So much easier that way.

This is the correct answer. :love:

kingofallheathens
08-30-2008, 12:42 AM
Black Metal - Inquisition, Taake, Sargeist, Mgla

Death Metal - Immolation, Dying Fetus, Blood Red Throne, Beheaded

Death/Doom - diSEMBOWELMENT, Dusk, Deteriorot, Evoken

Funeral Doom - Nortt, Thergothon

Easy as pie.

Moon Rabbits
08-30-2008, 01:11 AM

Easy as pie.

Funeral Doom? :eep: This is a genre?

Also, Dying Fetus<3

Momiji
08-30-2008, 01:19 AM

I agree as well. :D

Markus. D
08-30-2008, 02:04 AM

I agree as well. :D

I go by song ^^

That way you can be psychotic like I am.

I think it's stubborn sorting by artist, I mean it's like saying "everything from "x" is the best! because it's them! :D man up or I'll betchslap you!" when it never ever is, ever...

This is ovcourse imo, think what you please guys =]

kingofallheathens
08-30-2008, 02:27 AM

Easy as pie.

Funeral Doom? :eep: This is a genre?

Also, Dying Fetus<3

Doom metal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Funeral_doom#Funeral_doom)

Yep.

You'll be surprised at exactly how many subgenres Metal (and its subgenres) has.

Markus. D
08-30-2008, 02:53 AM
Shoegaze... what is it?

I've always been curious...

kingofallheathens
08-30-2008, 03:39 AM
Shoegaze... what is it?

One of the stupidest genre names ever coined by man. :eep:

Apparently it's a form of really mellow British rock that got its name because the musicians would just .. well .. gaze at their shoes while they played live.

Ask wikipedia for more.

Formalhaut
08-30-2008, 05:06 AM
mmm

Jazz

Classical

Rhythm and base

rubah
08-30-2008, 05:28 AM
I don't know if you guys just don't listen to a lot of different kinds of music or if you didn't understand what I was asking, but whatev xD

and roto, I'm doing this so don't have to make a special playlist with a bunch of artists. Like I could just display 'goth rock' and have icon and the black roses, charon, and HIM (a playlist I make a lot actually), or 'classic rock' and then I'd have scorpions, beatles, pink floyd, blue oyster cult, etc.

basically I'm tired of sorting by artist or albums! and trying to order music in a logical way based on sound (I also use Moody to store a mood in the comments tag :))

Rengori
08-30-2008, 07:00 PM
I listen to lots of metal mostly, I'm not picky with metal, as long as it doesn't suck. Death metal, black metal, thrash, power metal, folk, doom, metalcore, again, as long as it doesn't suck.

Then when I need a break from metal I'll listen to grunge, classical, hard rock, and J-rock. Then again with music, as long as it doesn't suck I'll listen to it. I just focus most of my resources on metal mostly. :p

Roto13
08-30-2008, 08:36 PM
I don't know if you guys just don't listen to a lot of different kinds of music or if you didn't understand what I was asking, but whatev xD

Seriously. xD I ignored it because I'm a douche like that. :bigsmile:

Ryth
08-31-2008, 02:50 AM
I'm not picky with metal, as long as it doesn't suck.:p

But you like Cradle Of Filth! :tongue:

Coma
08-31-2008, 02:51 AM
I listen to lots of metal mostly, I'm not picky with metal, as long as it doesn't suck. Death metal, black metal, thrash, power metal, folk, doom, metalcore, again, as long as it doesn't suck.

as long as it doesn't suck. Death metal, black metal, thrash, power metal, folk, doom, metalcore

doesn't suck. thrash
LOL

Rengori
08-31-2008, 06:27 AM

As far as I'm concerned, they've been dead since Midian. :p

Boney King
08-31-2008, 08:13 AM
Basically this.

I find especially with metal, people like to nitpick around with genres, and it gets annoying to see people cry, "OMG THAT BAND ISN'T FUNERAL DEATH BLACK METALCORE, THEY'RE HEAVY THRASH-METALCORE WITH JAZZ INFLUENCES". I'd rather not fall into that trap.

Rengori
08-31-2008, 08:22 AM
Basically this.

I find especially with metal, people like to nitpick around with genres, and it gets annoying to see people cry, "OMG THAT BAND ISN'T FUNERAL DEATH BLACK METALCORE, THEY'RE HEAVY THRASH-METALCORE WITH JAZZ INFLUENCES". I'd rather not fall into that trap.

I'd really love to see some Funeral/Death/Black/Metalcore, or Thrash/Metalcore with Jazz influences because those'd be some hella awesome bands.

kingofallheathens
08-31-2008, 11:38 AM
Basically this.

I'd really love to see some Funeral/Death/Black/Metalcore, or Thrash/Metalcore with Jazz influences because those'd be some hella awesome bands.

I think Post-Progressive Avantgarde Experimental Blackened Doomcore with heavy Bluegrass influences to be right up your alley.

scrumpleberry
08-31-2008, 11:43 AM
I honestly can't be bothered to define all my songs as post-punk revival smashing or dollhouse hardcore jazz or whatever. I just put "ish" on the end if I'm talking to a friend.

(For iTunes i leave it as what the song came with or use wikipedia)

Ryth
08-31-2008, 08:00 PM

As far as I'm concerned, they've been dead since Midian. :p

Still awful. :(

On a related note, nothing beats blackened post-melonoise/neo-mushroomcore pigfuckgrind crossover anyway.

I Don't Need A Name
08-31-2008, 08:52 PM
anything without lyrics about 'chillin wit ma bitches' or 'slappin hoes'

daggertrepe
08-31-2008, 10:57 PM
I love alternative.

Rantz
08-31-2008, 11:17 PM
I tend to be a bit too generic in genre-tagging (tons of "rock" and "pop"). Here's my genre list for the music on my laptop:

Alternative
Baroque Pop
Blues
Chamber Rock
Country
Country-Rock
Folk
Folk-Rock
Freak Folk
Hard Rock
Hip Hop
Indie
Indie Pop
Indie Rock
Jazz
Opera
Pop
Pop Rock
Post-Rock
Progg
Punk
Punk Rock
R&B
Reggae
Rock
Tropicalismo

Balzac
09-01-2008, 01:39 AM
I don't. I'm not anal.

Rengori
09-01-2008, 01:46 AM
On a related note, nothing beats blackened post-melonoise/neo-mushroomcore pigsmurfgrind crossover anyway.

Except blackened post-melonoise/neo-mushroomcore pigfuckgrind with epic power/country breakdowns.

Markus. D
09-01-2008, 02:56 AM
Shoegaze... what is it?

Apparently it's a form of really mellow British rock that got its name because the musicians would just .. well .. gaze at their shoes while they played live.

Ask wikipedia for more.

LOL, That will do for me, thanks xD

Ryth
09-01-2008, 03:10 AM
On a related note, nothing beats blackened post-melonoise/neo-mushroomcore pigsmurfgrind crossover anyway.

Except blackened post-melonoise/neo-mushroomcore pigsmurfgrind with epic power/country breakdowns.

That so anal, I don't like to categorize my music by making a new genre for every little variation.

Araciel
09-02-2008, 02:09 PM
Rock and everything else, which is also known as crap.

Coma
09-03-2008, 12:18 PM
Shoegaze... what is it?

Ask wikipedia for more.

LOL, That will do for me, thanks xDFail. Shoegaze is about guitar effects, the fect thats its generally mellow does not define the genre. Then name comes from the artists staring at their effect pedals. It's acutally a terribly unique genre.

kingofallheathens
09-03-2008, 10:07 PM
Shoegaze... what is it?

Ask wikipedia for more.

LOL, That will do for me, thanks xDFail. Shoegaze is about guitar effects, the fect thats its generally mellow does not define the genre. Then name comes from the artists staring at their effect pedals. It's acutally a terribly unique genre.

The only Shoegaze band I've heard mentioned alot is My Bloody Valentine, I believe. They just sounded like indie rock to me. I fail to see the 'terribly unique' aspect of it.

Ryth
09-03-2008, 10:18 PM
Shoegaze... what is it?

Ask wikipedia for more.

The only Shoegaze band I've heard mentioned alot is My Bloody Valentine, I believe. They just sounded like indie rock to me. I fail to see the 'terribly unique' aspect of it.

Then go back and pay attention this time. Check out Slowdive and Alcest while you're at it.

Coma
09-03-2008, 10:20 PM
MBV is entry level shoegaze, just like Dragonforce is entry level powermetal, and King Crimson is entry (though still godly) progressive. Its going to sound an awfully lot like anything else. Unfortunately, I can't give you any more bands myself since shoegazing was my girlfriend's thing, not mine.

kingofallheathens
09-06-2008, 01:58 AM
Shoegaze... what is it?

Ask wikipedia for more.

Then go back and pay attention this time. Check out Slowdive and Alcest while you're at it.

I've listened to both Neige's projects, Alcest as well as Ameseours. Weird mix of black metal and shoegaze, but alright stuff.