PDA

View Full Version : Tactics reference?

arcanedude34
08-29-2008, 10:21 PM
Isn't Vaan's line "I got a good feeling" on the sunlit road (I think that's what it's called, it's on Ozmone Plain) a reference to FFT?

Roto13
08-29-2008, 10:49 PM
Vaan: I've got a good feeling.
Larsa: This is the way.

It's a reference to what your characters say during dispatch missions in Final Fantasy Tactics. :P

Wolf Kanno
08-30-2008, 03:59 AM
The Mark Hunt involving the killing of a "pet" Malboro named Carrot is also a reference cause it was a dispatch mission in FFT and an actual mission in FFTA. ;)

Also, if memory serves me correct the region of Ivalice that Archades is in is called Valendia which is the name of the region where Vagrant Story took place. The Kiltia religion in XII is also the same religion the heretics practiced in Lea Monde in VS

Roto13
08-30-2008, 04:18 AM
They also use the "Old Valendian Calendar" or "New Valendian Calendar" or whatever.

arcanedude34
08-30-2008, 04:50 AM
The Mark Hunt involving the killing of a "pet" Malboro named Carrot is also a reference cause it was a dispatch mission in FFT and an actual mission in FFTA. ;)

I remember that, cuz I specifically remember soloing that fight w/ Marche....

Big D
08-30-2008, 06:59 AM
Consider that FFXII takes place in the same world as the Tactics series and Vagrant Story, it's no surprise that items and locations serve as references to the other titles. I don't personally see how a throwaway line like "I got a good feeling" would be a reference, though, rather than just a commonly-used expression.

Roto13
08-30-2008, 07:32 AM
Consider that FFXII takes place in the same world as the Tactics series and Vagrant Story, it's no surprise that items and locations serve as references to the other titles. I don't personally see how a throwaway line like "I got a good feeling" would be a reference, though, rather than just a commonly-used expression.

Because it's used along with another line used in FFT in the same situation. :P

Big D
08-30-2008, 07:44 AM
Ah:P
Are there many overt dialogue references or tributes to other FF games? I didn't spot many myself.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
08-30-2008, 07:45 AM
"I got a good feeling" is also the single most notorious line from the original localization of Tactics. It's unmistakable.
Are there many overt dialogue references or tributes to other FF games? I didn't spot many myself.Not many, but an NPC in Rabanastre provides this little gem early in the game:

My friend says that o'er 430 revelers came through the Southern Plaza during the big fete! But even if you count the bards...

'Course, he could be countin' the spoony bards, too. That would be another matter altogether.

champagne supernova
08-30-2008, 10:16 AM
In Old Archades, someone's telling a story about a wyvern. And he says "You should pay more respect to fairy tales."

That's what Sydney says in the beginning of Vagrant Story.
Also, in the bestiary, there are references to some botanist called Merlose. Merlose was also a character in Vagrant Story.

I can't remember any others off-hand.

Big D
08-30-2008, 03:18 PM
Yep, I caught the textual stuff like the naturist Merlose, the Leamonde entite, and things like that. Just curious about other snippets of actual dialogue, like the 'spoony bard' reference Kishi quoted.

champagne supernova
08-30-2008, 03:57 PM
Got another one. Somebody talks about a troupe of actors called Tantalus, which is a reference to IX.

Where is that link to all the references in FF games?

Ah ha! Here it is.
In-Series Crossovers (http://www.ffcompendium.com/h/incross.shtml)

Credit to leader_of_mortals. Quite interesting. Especially the Maoi faces (however that is supposed to be spelt!).

arcanedude34
08-30-2008, 04:54 PM
I think I found another Maoi... in FFIX, in the battle background where you fight Steiner the first time I think (it's the one inside the Prima Vista) iirc there is a Moai in the background, behind Steiner...

I'll try to find a screen...

Got it : http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa106/100pdeathpie/maoi.jpg

Is that a Moai?

EDIT: Fixed : P

Big D
08-30-2008, 05:07 PM
Moai, actually, but any tall stone head counts as one:p That thing behind Steiner seems to fit the bill; I've never noticed it before.

Vivisteiner
08-30-2008, 09:09 PM
Oh yeah, I remember running round in Arcadia. And then that person mentions Tantalus, and Im like - OMG!