PDA

View Full Version : Fullmetal Alchemist

daggertrepe
08-30-2008, 05:16 PM
I know there has been a thread on it in the past, but no use in revving a thread that is 10 million years old. (Or two)

But anyway, who likes this anime/manga? I just finished the anime and I have to say I'm hooked! I'm reading the manga right now and I love it. Especially Izumi, who kicks so much ass. She reminds me of my beloved Beatrix. :love:

Though, I am sad that she died in the anime. However, they are supposedly making a new anime series tightly based on the manga, and her insides get fixed in the manga by Hoho, so maybe she won't die?? Hopefully. But I wouldn't be surprised if Hiromu killed her off. :p

Reeno the Alchemist
08-30-2008, 05:26 PM
Loved the anime to death, liked the movie,and the manga was "weird" I read about 15 chapters and was done with it xD

daggertrepe
08-30-2008, 05:33 PM
But the manga is where the idea came from. You gotta love it.

Reeno the Alchemist
08-30-2008, 05:37 PM
yeah but it's usually like : Love the manga hate the anime, or love the anime and hate the manga. It depends on which you saw first and for me it was the anime. But what I said isn't always true cause I love the Bleach anime and manga :3

Momiji
08-30-2008, 06:01 PM
The manga and anime was okay. I can't say I'm a big fan of the series now, but if it wasn't for Fullmetal Alchemist, I probably wouldn't be as into anime today as I already am.

I didn't care for the movie though.

Vermachtnis
08-30-2008, 06:31 PM
I like both the anime and manga. The movie not so much, but that was Hughes fault. I don't like what they did with him in the movie. I can't wait for the next series to come out either.

daggertrepe
08-30-2008, 07:50 PM
I know! I loved Hughes and they made him a Nazi! Gay. And they killed off Izumi without a real scene or explanation, which peeved me a bit. I knows she was terminally ill, but still. They could've at least given her a scene.

Croyles
08-31-2008, 12:59 AM
I got really hooked onto FMA. I dont think I would watch it again. I now know that there may be some deeper and better animes out there but that was the first that I watched which had any substance for an anime. There are animes that do better in each aspect, but FMA brings them all together for an overall fun experience.

Ouch!
08-31-2008, 08:28 AM
I loved the anime until I started reading the manga and realized it does just about everything better (as should be expected--it is, after all, the source material.

Avarice-ness
08-31-2008, 08:40 AM
FMA was my last favorite anime. Watched it when it first came out, started to read the manga but by that point I was already fading out of the anime scene nothing could save it.

Suvious
08-31-2008, 09:21 AM
Hail the Fuhrer (DO NOT MISINTERPRET THAT I'M TALKING ABOUT KING BRADLEY AND HIS OWNAGE SWORD!)

blackmage_nuke
08-31-2008, 09:26 AM
At first i watched the anime and thought because it was made in Japan i could naturally assume that all the characters were meant to be Japanese or atleast Asian...then I read the manga and Asians actually turned up and that threw my assumptions out of whack.

Anyway love manga and anime, havent seen the movie. I wish the manga was finished though.

Croyles
08-31-2008, 02:16 PM
At first i watched the anime and thought because it was made in Japan i could naturally assume that all the characters were meant to be Japanese or atleast Asian...then I read the manga and Asians actually turned up and that threw my assumptions out of whack.

Anyway love manga and anime, havent seen the movie. I wish the manga was finished though.

Waaahhh? You thought they were asians but then asians turned up? That makes no sense.

Well actually its pretty much set in an alternative dimension historic Germany (what a mouthful!).

scrumpleberry
08-31-2008, 02:23 PM
Saw the first epi, liked it, but not enough t owatch the rest.

daggertrepe
08-31-2008, 07:13 PM
The first episode SUCKS compared to every other episode. Which is ashame, cause you didn't get to Izumi-goodness. She MAKES the series.

Ouch!
09-01-2008, 08:55 AM

Waaahhh? You thought they were asians but then asians turned up? That makes no sense.

Well actually its pretty much set in an alternative dimension historic Germany (what a mouthful!).
In the manga, there are characters from Xing, a nation existing beyond the eastern desert. Characters from Xing are drawn with much more distinctively Asian features and are identified as foreigners with many cultural and physical differences. I'm sure blackmage_nuke meant that until the characters from Xing were introduced, he assumed everyone was supposed to be Asian, but then got confused when an ethnic group clearly modeled off of the Asians showed up and were treated as strange foreigners by the main cast he had previously considered Asian.

Mitch
09-01-2008, 11:13 PM
It was the first anime series I ever sat down and watched. Deep emotional connections etc.

Yeah it's good.

Jessweeee♪
09-02-2008, 12:27 AM
I think it was FMA that got me into anime. I don't know. It was definitely one that appeared on Adult Swim. Maybe FLCL. Or I think it was Inuyasha that made me think, "Okay, they aren't all like Pokemon and YuGiOh."

ANYWAY.

I loved FMA n.n

I haven't read the manga, and the movie was nice (I thought it was funny that Hughes was a Nazi, though xD).

Ouch!
09-17-2008, 09:59 PM
This was still on the front page so I decided I'd bring it up here instead of starting an entirely new thread.

It seems there are multiple confirmations floating around the internet that another Full Metal Alchemist is in production. Whether or not it's a sequel to Conqueror of Shambala or a retelling which more closely follows the manga (which has become a lot more developed since the anime's conclusion) is up in the air. Sources seem to be leaning towards the latter, although I can't find anything particularly reputable as of now, mostly just speculations with scant evidence.

It's certainly interesting to think about. I would be most pleased if they remade the anime so that it follows the plot of the manga. It would be awesome (and also absurdly long).

XxSephirothxX
09-19-2008, 01:08 AM
I watched Fullmetal Alchemist for 13 hours straight one time. True story.

Momiji
09-19-2008, 01:15 AM
I watched Fullmetal Alchemist for 13 hours straight one time. True story.

One full season + the movie?

Croyles
09-19-2008, 02:58 AM

In the manga, there are characters from Xing, a nation existing beyond the eastern desert. Characters from Xing are drawn with much more distinctively Asian features and are identified as foreigners with many cultural and physical differences. I'm sure blackmage_nuke meant that until the characters from Xing were introduced, he assumed everyone was supposed to be Asian, but then got confused when an ethnic group clearly modeled off of the Asians showed up and were treated as strange foreigners by the main cast he had previously considered Asian.

Yeah that makes sense now. This thread brought me to read the manga and id say I like them both the same (even though they are completely different).
I noticed the setting straight away though with names like Hohenheim, Armstrong and the look of the country and that nearly everyone is blonde (which is a bit of a silly stereotype). Although yeah anime likes its fair shair of blonde characters anyway. Also the military is clearly a german thing. Führer? LOL. I was like "What the???" when I first saw that. I guess the association makes sense later on ^^

Oh and yeah I also heard about that new FMA. I think its supposed to be one closely following the manga. But I wonder how they would handle the first 30 episodes seeing as how they are very similar to what was shown in the anime. They would have to repeat them probably...

Ouch!
09-19-2008, 07:45 AM
Oh and yeah I also heard about that new FMA. I think its supposed to be one closely following the manga. But I wonder how they would handle the first 30 episodes seeing as how they are very similar to what was shown in the anime. They would have to repeat them probably...

There's enough differences that I think they'll just bite the bullet and change them slightly. The most noticeable difference, of course, is that in the anime, the episodes immediately following the events in Lior are flashbacks to before and just after Ed's appointment as a National Alchemist, whereas in the manga they continue along a linear chronology.

I'm sure most people would be more excited about the latter episodes anyway. It's around the time of Maes Hughes's death that the two continuities clearly diverge. The manga's explanation of things tend to be significantly more in depth. I'd especially like to see Roy and Riza's history expounded upon. There are enough drastic differences even just shortly after the two diverge that nobody would have to worry too much about rehash.