PDA

View Full Version : What excercises are you doing if any? Also "Do 100 pushups challenge"

Croyles
09-01-2008, 05:58 PM
Have you been doing any exercises and if yes what are they?
Do you get embarrassed if people catch you working out? I kind of do, but im hoping that will change soon.

Apart from my job (which isnt physically challenging) I have been a real lazy git for quite a while. My brother who's about twice as wide as I am has been doing this one hundred pushup (or pressups) challenge for a few weeks.

The goal is to follow the program and be able to do 100 consecutive pushups after 6 weeks of increasingly difficult sets (choose any 3 days a week), repeating a week if you didnt manage it.
He said it only takes up like 30 minutes a week to do it.
I decided to try even though the fact that my brothers stronger than me kind of put me down.

First I had to do an initial test to see how many proper pushups you can do in one go. I only managed 11, whereas my brother did something like 30.
But apparently my results were average and not substandard which lift me up a bit. After a day of rest I did the Day 1 of Week 1.

7 pushups
60 seconds rest
60 seconds rest
60 seconds rest
60 seconds rest
Then as many as you can (at least 5) - I did 10.

The number of pushups increase for every section every day (with a days rest inbetween).

Im now on week 3 day 1 which looks like this:

60 seconds
60 seconds
60 seconds
60 seconds
as many as you can (at least 20) - I managed 23 or 24, may have lost count.

Ive never been one to really stick to any workout routine but this is actually really fun..
Heres the website:
one hundred push ups (http://hundredpushups.com/index.html)

crono_logical
09-01-2008, 06:42 PM
While that's no doubt good for bulking up, it's not going to burn off any excess weight with those quantites and rests in between :p

Roto13
09-01-2008, 07:01 PM
I can barely do a stand-up.

Miriel
09-01-2008, 07:22 PM
I try and run 6-8 miles a week. Doesn't matter to me if I do 3 miles for 2 days or 1 mile everyday of the week. I just try and get in at least 6 miles every week. Sometimes I fail though.

I also try and walk my dogs on a daily basis for at least 15 minutes. Those "walks" end up being sprints though cause my dogs are wild and love to drag me on the leash.

Yar
09-01-2008, 08:41 PM
I need to exercise. Jazzercising sounds like a nice alternative for me. I need to get some muscles. :(

Croyles
09-01-2008, 09:11 PM
While that's no doubt good for bulking up, it's not going to burn off any excess weight with those quantites and rests in between :p

I dont need to lose fat, so its good for me :)

Momiji
09-01-2008, 09:29 PM
No upper body strength = no pushups for me. I've never been athletic or extremely physically fit before, so why start now?

Although, a little exercise wouldn't kill me from time to time. I feel out of shape from 6 and a half months of inactivity. However, the long walks (nearly ten minutes from my last class to my car, walking at a normal pace) from one side of my college campus to the other while carrying a bag that weighs around 30 pounds has to account for something. :p

Dreddz
09-01-2008, 09:56 PM
Errm I can do like 70 pushups and I'm not even doing this program. My workout regime is like this. 30 dumbbell reps on each arm, each at 25 lb. Followed my 40 pushups while holding each dumbbell (more difficult than regular pushups but really help buff out your chest). And repeat around 5 times in the space of an hour. I do this every 2 days.

No offense Croyles but your workout regime is not going to get you anywhere. You need to push yourself much harder if you want to see results. I am under the impression that you are working out to have a bigger build and some muslces right? Heres a tip, each a lot more food than you are at the moment. That increases your build but helps you build muscle a lot quicker too.

Croyles
09-01-2008, 10:02 PM
Errm, im already doing twice as many pushups as I was at the beginning. And their getting easier by the day. Most importantly I am feeling stronger, not too bothered by actually building up bulk.

"errrm I can do like 70 pushups" Is also no way to encourage anyone, obviously you are fit. Im wondering why the first thing you post is telling someone how many more pushups you can do than someone with a nice little piteous "errm". Everyone has to start somewhere, from the sounds of it youve been working out for a while right?

I dont care if you were telling the truth about having to push much harder (although ive already said im just building strength), you pretty much ruined my day right there. On second thoughts, I actually dont really care what you think because its doing me good eitherway.

Dreddz
09-01-2008, 10:16 PM
Errm, im already doing twice as many pushups as I was at the beginning. And their getting easier by the day. Most importantly I am feeling stronger, not too bothered by actually building up bulk.

"errrm I can do like 70 pushups" Is also no way to encourage anyone, obviously you are fit. Im wondering why your first post is telling someone how many more pushups you can do than someone with a nice little piteous "errm".

I dont care if you were telling the truth about having to push much harder (although ive already said im just building strength), you pretty much ruined my day right there.
I wasn't trying to offend you so sorry if I did. I'm just giving advice and I guess I misunderstood what you were trying to achieve. If you want to build strength then your doing fine but you can do it faster if you really want to. If you don't then that's still cool.

Oh and I'm not as fit as you probably think. Even an inch of muscle goes a long way in terms of how strong you are. I was once very skinny, mainly due to my high metabolism. But around a year ago I had enough and decided to work out and now I'm a fairly decent build but not some bodybuilding meathead.

Croyles
09-01-2008, 10:25 PM
I never thought you as a meathead or anything. Ive been on this forum long enough for that ^^

But seriously, its better to start out small because overdoing can be a lot worse at the beginning than underdoing it.
What do you mean by faster though? As in no day breaks? Doing a variety of exercises?
I wouldnt mind bulking up, but im taking it slowly first to just get in better shape first.
Also, I actually cant really eat anymore than I do. I eat A LOT, im not gonna quantify it because that would take too long to count but like you I have a huge metabolism.

BTW, why would holding a dumbbell while doing a pushup (a pressup) be more difficult (just curious) because its not like your lifting them, your grip is just worse...

Dreddz
09-01-2008, 10:42 PM
Holding a dumbbell in each hand while doing pushups puts more strain on your chest (which you can definitely feel). You can dip much lower too which makes them tougher. Try them for yourself and you'll know what I'm talking about.

I do recommend doing more than just pushups, but thats depends on where you want to become strongers. Pushups are ideal for buffing out your chest but there not doing so much for your arms. I recommend weight lifting if you want to become stronger in your arms.

And I agree not to go overboard when you start training. I sprained myself on numerous occasions because of pushing myself too hard when starting out. Oh and as for eating, you need to eat a lot but also eat more food with protein. Stuff like plain chicken breasts and steak are good. Although it is a very boring.

Croyles
09-01-2008, 10:52 PM
That makes sense with the dumbbells.
I can honestly tell you I eat very well, I get a lot of protein. :)

Aerith's Knight
09-01-2008, 10:55 PM
Lolz, I thought you meant 100 pushups all at once. :p

No way @ that, the highest I came before I crashed was 32 pushups during an Airforce fitness test.

I was unresponsive for several minutes after that. :p

Croyles
09-01-2008, 11:00 PM
I DO mean 100 consecutive pushups. The workouts with rest between them are just sets to build up your strength. At the end of the 6 weeks you have to test yourself and if you managed 100 consecutive pushups you pass.
You also have to do 2 or 3 exhaustion tests between some of the weeks to see which "difficulty" you will take. This means doing as many push-ups as possible in one go.

Rocket Edge
09-01-2008, 11:16 PM
I have been doing 100 sit-ups (More now) nearly every night for the past 4 months. Other than that, nothing too much really. :\

I think I'll give that a try. :monster:

Croyles
09-01-2008, 11:26 PM
I used to do sit ups about 2 years ago with about the same amount of reps, but i smurfed up my back a bit from them (its fine again now) so im a bit wary of sit ups. I generally havnt been very fit in the last year and a half.

Aerith's Knight
09-02-2008, 12:06 AM
Oh right, I forgot all americans are either extremely athletic, or extremely not. xD

Croyles
09-02-2008, 12:41 AM
Im not american, and neither is Dreddz.
Try it yourself man, I bet you can do the hundred. Most people will have to repeat 1, maybe 2 weeks but I now know a few people who could do as many pushups in the beginning as I did and already finished the program.

Rocket Edge
09-02-2008, 01:25 AM
I used to do sit ups about 2 years ago with about the same amount of reps, but i smurfed up my back a bit from them (its fine again now) so im a bit wary of sit ups. I generally havnt been very fit in the last year and a half.
There's a certain way of doing sit-ups to not hurt your back. Erm.. can't really explain it but you could always look it up.

ShadowNINku
09-02-2008, 04:15 AM
have you tried burpees? those are killer, like 10 done within less than a minute will kill ya

MKusanagi
09-02-2008, 04:21 AM
I run 2 miles a day (though lately I've been off the wagon) and 50 pushups a day.
So far my own pushup challenge is working out for me but I might try this in the future

EDIT: After checking out this website I am actually going to try this out. I just did my initial test. I can do 30 pushups in perfect form. So, tomorrow I will do 10 (60 sec rest), 10 (60 second rest), 8 (60 sec), 6 (60 sec), max number (atleast 7). Thank you for bringing this up it sounds fun and helpful!

Aerith's Knight
09-02-2008, 07:11 AM
Try it yourself man, I bet you can do the hundred. Most people will have to repeat 1, maybe 2 weeks but I now know a few people who could do as many pushups in the beginning as I did and already finished the program.

Ooh, wait, you can completely isregard what I said before, I thought you meant push-ups. xD

Sit ups is a lot easier. :p

Dear lord, here I was thinking you all could do 100 push-ups on the first try. xD

Meow
09-02-2008, 07:54 AM
not only is it kinda ridiculous to do 100 reps of anything in one sitting but you'll probably also succeed mostly in catabolizing muscle

Croyles
09-02-2008, 12:21 PM

Ooh, wait, you can completely isregard what I said before, I thought you meant push-ups. xD

Sit ups is a lot easier. :p

Dear lord, here I was thinking you all could do 100 push-ups on the first try. xD

Lol AK I AM talking about pushups, the situps was another thing. But what do you mean first try? You have to build it up for like 6 weeks with the program im doing. Did you read the first post? :)
And again, yes they are consecutive. 100 reps.

@Meow, not really, as long as your not doing 100 pushups on a daily routine its fine, its just a one time thing really. Afterwards its probably best to do 50-80 reps if your practiced.

I run 2 miles a day (though lately I've been off the wagon) and 50 pushups a day.
So far my own pushup challenge is working out for me but I might try this in the future

EDIT: After checking out this website I am actually going to try this out. I just did my initial test. I can do 30 pushups in perfect form. So, tomorrow I will do 10 (60 sec rest), 10 (60 second rest), 8 (60 sec), 6 (60 sec), max number (atleast 7). Thank you for bringing this up it sounds fun and helpful!

Cool another person trying it out! Get back to us with your progress, I will too in a couple of weeks.

The Shoeless Hobo
09-02-2008, 12:31 PM
Remember, when exercising nutrition is very important - especially when bulking up. ;)

But yeah, i lift weights a couple of times a week and have nearly completed a fitness course.

ljkkjlcm9
09-02-2008, 12:37 PM
I have a PT test on thursday, in the morning. I have no doubt I can pass the push-up and sit-up portion of the test, but I screwed up my knee two years ago and haven't really been able to run since... which sucks. Probably means I'll fail the PT test. I know I'm in pretty good shape though, not as good as I use to be however.

THE JACKEL

Araciel
09-02-2008, 02:18 PM
I run 10 km every morning now, and do a pretty strict regimen of resistance exercise every two days. My diet has undergone a vast change in the last three months, as has my motivation to be healthy and as powerful/fast as I can be. I also do Yoga and tai chi lately and they're awesome.

scrumpleberry
09-02-2008, 02:58 PM
I don't have a set excersise regime :bigsmile: I'm a terrible person. I'll do things for a couple of weeks or so if I think certain parts of my body need some work, but I'm incredibly unfit, which my figure and the amount of physical exertion I'm capable of belies.

Breine
09-02-2008, 04:01 PM
I don't really exercise, although I actually really like doing it. It's strange. I guess I'm too lazy to get started, but once I'm in it I really enjoy it.

The Unknown Guru
09-03-2008, 11:24 PM
Every night, I do 25 pushups, rest, 50 crunches, rest, then repeat once. When reading or something, I just randomly do curls with my weights (15 lbs or so). It's kept me pretty fit.

If any of you slackers are gonna say "OMG HE WORKS OUT TOO MUCH", this is nothing compared to what I do in track.

Avarice-ness
09-03-2008, 11:45 PM
My husband does daily PT in the army.

Also, if you wanna work on pushups, you should look into Welcome to the Perfect Pushup Official Website - Inventors of the Perfect Pushup - - Unique Rotating Pushup Handles (http://www.perfectpushup.com/)

My mom's bf (a body builder) uses them, and I bought some for my husband because pushups are his worst subject when it comes to PT.

As for me, I'm prolly going to join a gym or something after I have the baby. I don't wanna bulk up or anything, I just want to get back to my old weight and such.

theundeadhero
09-04-2008, 10:16 PM
How long do you have to do the 100 pushups? Do you just stay down until you do 100? Right now I can do 78 in 2 minutes. I always do 50 right away, then slow down and do them in sets of 10 or 5 depending on how many I've already done. I could do more than 78, expecially if I don't have to worry about how long it takes.

Quindiana Jones
09-04-2008, 10:20 PM
I get beaten up every Monday. Does that count?

Croyles
09-04-2008, 10:42 PM
How long do you have to do the 100 pushups? Do you just stay down until you do 100? Right now I can do 78 in 2 minutes. I always do 50 right away, then slow down and do them in sets of 10 or 5 depending on how many I've already done. I could do more than 78, expecially if I don't have to worry about how long it takes.

For pushups, taking them slowly requires more strength (unless you keep resting when your up in the air or down on the floor I guess). I guess your supposed to do them with an average speed. so you shouldnt take forever but there isnt a set time to do them in.

But they have to be 100 reps, so yeah you stay down until you do 100.

Balzac
09-05-2008, 12:24 PM
I do this:

StrongLifts 5×5 Beginner Strength Training Program | StrongLifts.com (http://stronglifts.com/stronglifts-5x5-beginner-strength-training-program/)

DMKA
09-05-2008, 01:11 PM
I can't even do one push up. ;__;

Fonzie
09-05-2008, 01:57 PM
I lift weights about every day now since the summer. :p

Quindiana Jones
09-05-2008, 03:31 PM
I'm gonna do this. Rank 2, haha. Go me.

Vivisteiner
09-05-2008, 07:58 PM
I can only manage about 25 push ups (we call them press ups). I need to start doing them again, they're addictive once you get going, but I never really got going. (When I started, I struggled to do 10)

Miriel
09-05-2008, 09:59 PM
The last time I did pushups on a regular basis, my boobs grew. Which is balls cause I was actually trying to tone up and make them smaller. I went to the doctor and I was like, "wtf is happening to me?!" and she was like, "oh, have you been doing anything different lately? Like exercising your upper body?" and I was like, ";_;".

Yeah.

Vivisteiner
09-05-2008, 11:00 PM
This is ridiculous, and totally off the subject, but for some reason I am unable to create topics and I'm unable to post in certain threads (I was trying to post in the one about the most important subject) Anyone know why?!

(I hope this posts properly!)