PDA

View Full Version : Google Chrome

Clouded Sky
09-02-2008, 10:11 PM
Well, for those of you wanting to try out something new, here's your chance. There's a new browser on the block, and it's Chrome (http://tools.google.com/chrome/?hl=en-US)

Have you seen this? Have you tried it? What are your thoughts? I'm on it right now, and this is the first page I've visited so I can't say much.

What is your preferred browser? Will you give Chrome a try or stick with what you've got?

rubah
09-02-2008, 10:14 PM
I'd have to run it in wine. Doesn't seem they have a mac version yet.

Dr Unne
09-02-2008, 10:15 PM
Or a Linux version. Way to go, Google.

Peegee
09-02-2008, 10:19 PM
Eh, it's brand new, so I wouldn't be too worried. It will delay beta testing time on other platforms though.

I clicked around and wasn't too impressed nor was I disgusted with it. It's a decent browser. I prefer my Firebox though.

Bunny
09-02-2008, 10:35 PM

They have already released a statement saying they will be working and releasing Chrome on both Linux and Mac OS.

Dr Unne
09-02-2008, 10:39 PM
Ah, I see. http://dev.chromium.org/developers/how-tos/build-instructions-linux

Cookie
09-02-2008, 10:51 PM
I'm using it now. I'll switch back to firefox soon, though.

Roogle
09-02-2008, 11:08 PM
I use Internet Explorer 7. Internet Explorer 7 is experiencing a rapid decline in usage analogous to Netscape several years ago.

rubah
09-03-2008, 12:10 AM

They have already released a statement saying they will be working and releasing Chrome on both Linux and Mac OS.
Yes, I assumed it would be forthcoming since they have a note saying 'sign up for information about a mac release'

ReloadPsi
09-03-2008, 12:46 AM
I can't wait to see the height and might of the Chrome userbase (directed at IE users, natch) once it starts to grow. It'll be freakin' Firefox all over again.

I switched over to Opera, then reverted back to IE. Again. I'd probably go back to it though, it's a very good browser, just takes a while to start up, though that may be because my computer kind of sucks. I did the same with Firefox a very long time ago, back when Firefox was a buggy piece of crap that didn't work. I still refuse to use it, thanks in part to its userbase. Now I know how an FFVII hater feels.

Roto13
09-03-2008, 01:29 AM
I don't know if I should bother to try it. Firefox does what it's supposed to do and it does it very well. Why bother?

Ramza Beoulve
09-03-2008, 01:30 AM
I still refuse to use it, thanks in part to its userbase. Now I know how an FFVII hater feels.Fi3rf0x ftw lol!!!11one!

I'm trying it right now, I'm pleased until now, and it is quite nice, but I'm missing my adblock now.

~*~Celes~*~
09-03-2008, 01:37 AM
Not gonna bother unless it looks extra pretty, since my favorite Firefox skin isn't available for the newest version :(

EDIT: Yay, it's there!

Psychotic
09-03-2008, 01:52 AM
I still refuse to use it, thanks in part to its userbase. Now I know how an FFVII hater feels.I think both Firefox and FFVII are great, but god damnit I am embarassed to be associated with some of the other people who love them.

Might give it a whirl later!

Miriel
09-03-2008, 01:53 AM
I love me some Google. Might try this out once it comes out for Macs.

Yamaneko
09-03-2008, 01:55 AM
Honestly I'm more interested in IE8 than this.

Meow
09-03-2008, 01:56 AM
introducing the new google personal teleporter! (beta)

Momiji
09-03-2008, 02:03 AM
I tried it and didn't like it. I promptly deleted it.

rubah
09-03-2008, 03:04 AM
I don't know if I should bother to try it. Firefox does what it's supposed to do and it does it very well. Why bother?

to be fair, that's what all the IE6 users said, so we should at least bother to try it.

And now I am curious how it runs in wine :D *changes useragent*

Leeza
09-03-2008, 03:55 AM
It looks interesting. I will try it at some point just to check it out.

Moon Rabbits
09-03-2008, 04:16 AM
I downloaded it just now, I think it's pretty rad. I especially like the non-cluttered-ness of the interface, it seems very open and I feel like I can see a lot more of my web pages. Ohh! and look at that, a built in spell checker. It's really pretty, to boot.

I don't see a bookmark toolbar though, and that's my favorite part of firefox.

It doesn't /seem/ to use as much resources as Firefox either. Firefox has a really bad problem of being a total resource hog imho.

Unfortunately it is struggling with facebook when it is set to the new layout, along with some of the apps I regularly use, so firefox it is for now (but this may change very soon).

edit: Speaking of IE8, I totally didn't know it was even in beta. I lol'd at this:

InPrivate Browsing

Keep Internet Explorer 8 from adding any sites you visit to Browsing History with InPrivate Browsing. Now you can shop for that special gift with confidence knowing your family won't accidentally find out.

Because I'm sure that's what EVERYONE will be using that feature for.

Fonzie
09-03-2008, 04:18 AM
I heard it's really fast, and after a while, they'll allow all the add-ons Firefox has possible. :p

Leeza
09-03-2008, 04:26 AM
There is a bookmark toolbar. Clilck the star next to the address bar and then click Bookmarks Bar. I got that from watching their little videos.

Roto13
09-03-2008, 04:29 AM

to be fair, that's what all the IE6 users said, so we should at least bother to try it.

And now I am curious how it runs in wine :D *changes useragent*

IE6 was ass, though. xD

Someone tell me if it's significantly better than Firefox and I'll give it a go.

Moon Rabbits
09-03-2008, 04:31 AM
There is a bookmark toolbar. Clilck the star next to the address bar and then click Bookmarks Bar. I got that from watching their little videos.

Oh, neat! Thanks Leeza :D
@Fonz: It does seem pretty fast, especially with cookies enabled. The forum index loads in less than a second (the banner doesn't even disappear when it's reloaded!)

&@Roto: It's not amazingly better than Firefox ... more like, on par. Actually, the Firefox 2 and 3 are better simply because they've been out longer and have support for add-ons. Once Google adds support for extensions and etc, and fixes my Facebook woes, then I will definitely be switching.

Clouded Sky
09-03-2008, 04:38 AM
I like the larger viewspace - tabs on top make me happy.

Also, I think it is actually noticeably faster than Firefox. I may just like it.

Leeza
09-03-2008, 04:44 AM
I'll think about it more when I can have the extensions that I have now for Firefox.

Yamaneko
09-03-2008, 04:58 AM
I've had Firefox3 open all day and it's currently using 40MB of RAM.

crono_logical
09-03-2008, 05:09 AM
I've had Firefox3 open all day and it's currently using 40MB of RAM.I've had firefox 3 open all week on my laptop, and it's now using 300 MB :D At work, it's using over 1 GB after one day, but that's because I have several 20 MB html files with hundreds of diagrams embedded in it open :p

I'll think about it more when I can have the extensions that I have now for Firefox.Ditto :p Especially stuff like firebug :p

I like the larger viewspace - tabs on top make me happy.I have the extra space in firefox anyway, since I like to rearrange all the useful buttons + menubar + addressbar onto the menubar line and turn off all toolbars :p Ok, so I've not turned the status bar off (which is also possible), but that's because I find it useful :p

o_O
09-03-2008, 05:15 AM
I like it a lot.

- I feel that it's easily on par with Firefox in terms of speed, if not noticeably faster.
- It makes far better use of screen real estate than Firefox and I don't even need to comment on IE as far as screen usage goes.
- It seems to be intuitive and supports all of the keyboard and mouse shortcuts I've gotten used to in Firefox.
- The only addons for Firefox that I use are Greasemonkey and Firebug. I can live without Greasemonkey and Chrome has a nicer looking Firebug built in.
- Firefox with three webpages open is using 72MB of RAM. Chrome is using 29MB for the same pages. IE is using 37MB (lol wut).
- The rendering engine is (as far as I've tested) very similar to Firefox's (as opposed to IE's incorrect implementation of the DOM), which makes my job a whole lot easier. :p

It also has "incognito mode", which does the same as IE8's InPrivate mode.

Roto13
09-03-2008, 05:55 AM
Alright, so I've decided to give it a try. I'm using it right now.

It definitely seems to be faster than Firefox so far. I've been reading about how it works to prevent massive memory leaks (which is good, because lately Firefox has been leaking like a sonofabitch xP. Hey, a spell checker. Good to know I won't have to leave that behind) and it sounds pretty cool.

I think I'll stick with it for a bit longer to see how it goes.

EDIT: The text in my signature just looked giant for some reason. xD

Someone please release an ad blocker for this now. :P

EDIT 2: I miss DownloadThemAll too much to use Chrome. xD But I'll probably give it another go when there's an alternative for it.

Vyk
09-03-2008, 08:20 AM
Trying it out now. I sorta gave up on Firefox a long time ago. Though its features are nice. I threw my allegiance in with Opera. 'Cause it was the first one to remember my tabs when I closed the browser. The add-ons don't interest me. And they both have memory capacity issues. Opera's was forgivable, it just ate more 'cause you browsed more. Firefox you could have one page open and if you left it open for a week it'd still gobble up more memory. Opera just eats it up 'cause of usage. So I never installed Firefox on my new computer. Which means my alternative to Opera is IE though... Which isn't good

So I just downloaded this and set it as my default. I kept IE that way 'cause it was nice to have a fast loading browser with no strings for just doing random stuff. Now I can have a fast loading safe default, with a really nice set up and tons of useful features, and not have to worry about the leakage. Yey :] Go Google (Using it now, by the way. And really liking it. Looks like it borrowed Opera's quick-dial webpages thing too)

Edit: Couple quick things I noticed. Takes up two slots in my memory for processes for some reason. And the scroll button support doesn't let me scroll upwards xD But dayum does everything load fast. That makes me wonder why pages load so slow on my other browsers

Rantz
09-03-2008, 09:03 AM
And the scroll button support doesn't let me scroll upwards xD

Yes same :p I like the interface and all, but man. I don't want to use the darn scrollbar :-\

Moon Rabbits
09-03-2008, 12:47 PM
Someone please release an ad blocker for this now. :P

Didn't think of this, but lack of one may become a real problem for me.

Roto13
09-03-2008, 04:33 PM
Though its features are nice. I threw my allegiance in with Opera. 'Cause it was the first one to remember my tabs when I closed the browser.

Firefox can do that too, if you enable it. :P

The process thing is intentonal. It works by turning each tab into an individual process, so when one tab goes horribly wrong, only that tab needs to be closed. It's a cool idea.

I have no idea what to tell you about the scroll button though. xD It works for me?

Nominus Experse
09-03-2008, 08:51 PM
It's a rather nice browser, personally, find that it will be very much a contestant for my main browser once they hone its ad-blocking abilities and the other rich features within Firefox.

I like the ability to control things from a main hub, and enjoy the fact that when a web page crashes, the tab crashes, not the window itself. Each tab creates a miniature instance, which I like.

Java is blazingly fast, and there is nigh to nil lag when performing various browser operations (such as minimize, opening new tabs, closing, initializing, etc). Hell, it initializes even fast then IE.

The interface is sleek, minimalistic, and most of all, useful.

It comes pre-packaged with a few rip-offs of popular Firefox ad-ons, such as a Speed Dial type home page, URL suggestions, etc... They seem to work rather well, are intuitive in there operation, and create no lag.

A few annoyances:

When downloading things, I am given only a megabyte number. This is lazy of Google.

The browser is quite bare. Yes, it's Beta, but fuck, at least release an ad-block that's halfway competent.

The tabs running without the browser is nice, but there is no possible method in discerning which tabs are which when you wish to view and/or terminate them through the Task Manager.

To conclude, I like it quite a bit, and anticipate Google becoming a large contender in the browser wars; however, until the Beta is much more refined and has gathered more feature-rich support, I will continue to use Firefox, even if Chrome utterly destroys all other browsers when it comes to Java-based web page viewing.

Vyk
09-03-2008, 10:15 PM
Though its features are nice. I threw my allegiance in with Opera. 'Cause it was the first one to remember my tabs when I closed the browser.

Firefox can do that too, if you enable it. :P

The process thing is intentonal. It works by turning each tab into an individual process, so when one tab goes horribly wrong, only that tab needs to be closed. It's a cool idea.

I know it can -now- (I have it on my desktop). But Opera bought me off with it a long time ago :] For some reason I prefer Opera's set-up too. It doesn't look like a rip-off of IE. Which might be one of the reasons I like Chrome now so much. The processes thing does sound like a really cool idea

o_O
09-04-2008, 12:26 AM
The tabs running without the browser is nice, but there is no possible method in discerning which tabs are which when you wish to view and/or terminate them through the Task Manager.

I just want to point out that I thought the same thing, and then discovered the built-in task manager, which you can access with the keyboard shortcut shift+esc. Each site runs in a sandbox, isolated from the other sites open so that's why when one tab crashes it closes only those tabs from the same site. :p

rubah
09-04-2008, 12:39 AM
For a good time, type :% into the Chrome address bar.

Jessweeee♪
09-04-2008, 01:16 AM
Not bad o:

Something about this page looks different, though, and I don't mean the ads S:

Roto13
09-04-2008, 02:04 AM

... Is that supposed to happen? xP

Vyk
09-04-2008, 02:43 AM
Why would you type that in the first place?

Jessweeee♪
09-04-2008, 02:44 AM
You meanies! I actually did that!

Moon Rabbits
09-04-2008, 02:57 AM
Not bad o:

Something about this page looks different, though, and I don't mean the ads S:

I noticed that too. I think it was that the pages were aligned differently. On firefox I don't have side margins beside the posts, but in chrome I see background coloured margins on either side.

Madame Adequate
09-04-2008, 03:04 AM

Haha true fail.

Once Chrome gets adblocker, I think I might switch to it. It's been notably, if not overwhelmingly, faster when I've used it, and reports regarding memory leakage (or the lack thereof) are certainly pleasing, though I've not used it enough to get a feel for it myself.

Jessweeee♪
09-04-2008, 03:26 AM
Google Chrome is now the ugliest icon on my desktop. I'm going to delete the shortcut because it is so ugly.

DMKA
09-04-2008, 03:28 AM
Call me back when Chrome has the Adblock plugin.

Sir Lancealot
09-04-2008, 03:39 AM
What happens?

Vyk
09-04-2008, 04:09 AM
What happens?

It promptly exits the program

Roto13
09-04-2008, 04:12 AM
Replace "exits" with "crashes" :P

Vyk
09-04-2008, 04:38 AM
Same thing! ;(

Krelian
09-04-2008, 10:57 AM
I tried it today. I don't like the interface and that you can't choose where to install it. Actually I hate that with applications :/
But I like how fast it is. It starts fast and it loads pages fast.

In comparison to Safari it's the better choice for Webkit browsers on Windows, I suppose. Safari takes forever just to start up. Also, it doesn't make use of Mac OS X's font rendering and it might just be my imagination, but it seems a tad faster too.

Wait, just checked again, some pages seem to be slower on Chrome than on Safari. Weird.