PDA

View Full Version : Shaken, not crushed

Vyk
09-04-2008, 04:15 AM
I met my new supervisor at work earlier this week. He came in last week to get weened in, but I was on vacation so I was like the only one he hadn't met. I'm in good with the executive director and other members of management, so I'm sure he's heard a lot about me. Plus the lowly grunts hate me and try to get me in trouble a lot xD Thankfully management doesn't play into scapegoat BS

Anyway, first thing he did when meeting me was shake my hand of course. Gentle man with a gentle handshake (not a girly handshake, it was about the same as my own). I have to say, I like that. I know a lot of men judge each other by the firmness of their handshake. Which I don't agree with at all. If you're trying to impress me by crushing my hand then you have issues and I don't like you. Why make a first impression by trying to compete or show off? I have a lot more respect for guys who are just themselves and not trying to prove anything

This is probably more of a guy topic, as I don't know if many of these type of guys would even shake a girl's hand, let alone try and crush it in the process. But who knows. Join in if you like. But mostly, I'm wondering: Guys, how do you like your handshakes? And why?

Fonzie
09-04-2008, 04:18 AM
Pardon me, but maybe the reason these "lowly grunts" dislike you is because you might be the Dwight K. Shrute of the company. :p

Roto13
09-04-2008, 04:20 AM
There's a world of difference between a firm handshake and a strong handshake. :P Firm just means, like, stable. Like if the person you were shaking hands with suddenly yanked their hand away, your hand would go with it. :P Kind of like... handcuffs. They don't squeeze your wrists, but they're a sonofabitch to get out of. :P

Vyk
09-04-2008, 04:23 AM
I have no clue what either of you are talking about lol... Who's DK Shrute? And why would you want to make sure someone doesn't pull out of your handshake? Who tries to bail in the middle of a handshake O_o

Roto13
09-04-2008, 04:25 AM
That's not the point. xD It's just a frame of reference. You're supposed to have a firm handshake for the same reason you're supposed to make eye contact. It shows confidence.

Miriel
09-04-2008, 05:34 AM
I hate weak ass handshakes. I'd rather not shake your hand at all if it's gonna be some limp shake with no pressure.

rubah
09-04-2008, 05:41 AM
I've shaken a lot of hands in my time, and I have to say a soft fleshy hand is not a nice hand to shake. A good firm handshake is where you both grip tight enough that you have to both release to disengage, but if there are fingermarks on your hands afterwards, then that's too hard.

Of course I also like to play the handshake chicken game amongst friends although I typically lose :D

Vyk
09-04-2008, 06:23 AM
Fleshy hand? My hand has flesh :} Though I did say it wasn't a girly handshake. Just not a "I have something to prove. Respect me!" kinda arrogant handshake. Confidense means nothing to me. Capability is what matters. And that's not going to be displayed in a handshake

Ouch!
09-04-2008, 08:03 AM
This is how I feel on the matter. (http://www.threepanelsoul.com/view.php?date=2008-02-04)

Zeldy
09-04-2008, 05:34 PM
When people go to shake my hand I usually laugh and it's always dead awkward. I always have sweaty palms too, so it's like yuccck.

Jings
09-04-2008, 06:02 PM
I hate handshakes. If I'm meeting a new person I'll let them initiate it, I don't understand why I have to hold another mans hand to introduce myself.

rubah
09-04-2008, 06:38 PM
Fleshy hand? My hand has flesh :} Though I did say it wasn't a girly handshake. Just not a "I have something to prove. Respect me!" kinda arrogant handshake. Confidense means nothing to me. Capability is what matters. And that's not going to be displayed in a handshake

Fleshy, as in your hand sinks into it, is partially enveloped in, etc. you know, having lots of flesh.

crono_logical
09-04-2008, 07:22 PM

Fleshy, as in your hand sinks into it, is partially enveloped in, etc. you know, having lots of flesh.Sounds more like soft and flabby :p

Momiji
09-04-2008, 07:30 PM
I don't like handshakes, but if I do have to shake your hand, you damn well better put some effort into it. I'm shaking the hand of a human, not a dog.

Heath
09-04-2008, 08:23 PM
Never really had handshakes outside of a formal situation involving work (job interview, finishing at a job, etc), though I've had some pretty strong handshakes. I don't really know how my handshakes are so I've gotten slightly self-conscious about them after reading this thread. Don't particularly mind them in all honesty.

Quindiana Jones
09-04-2008, 09:18 PM
I have the greatest handshake ever*. I think you need to have a firm handshake, but not a hand crushing one, and you should vary it depending on the handshake of the other person. If there's is a bit weak, then you should weaken yours a bit to be considerate. If there's it a bit on the strong side, then you should strengthen yours to let them know that you aren't one to get walked over.

My handshake differs between men and women too. I always actually shake with men, but unless I'm made to by the way the woman shakes, then I'll do a slight head dip whilst lifting their hand a bit. Kind of reminiscent of ye olde dayes when people kissed the womans hand, except I don't take it far enough to be considered that way. :)

*STATEMENT MAY BE EXAGGERATED

Miriel
09-04-2008, 09:24 PM
Ugh, fleshy hands are the worst! Especially if they're fleshy AND clammy. Ewwww.

Quindiana Jones
09-04-2008, 09:38 PM
Ugh, fleshy hands are the worst! Especially if they're fleshy AND clammy. Ewwww.

Urgh, yes.

Rantz
09-04-2008, 10:00 PM
I agree with Vyk.

Vyk
09-05-2008, 01:53 AM
I agree with Vyk.
Thank you.

I think Rubah and Miriel are talking about something else. 'Cause I'm inclined to agree with them though they're disagreeing with me O_o sounds more like you're talking about fat unhygeinic hands rather than a handshake lol

I should note I don't just put my hand in someone's grasp and let them shake. I do actively shake their hand. I just don't try to prove anything by it. I'm not sure I'm explaining my side very well though haha... Oh well :]

Hambone
09-05-2008, 02:15 AM
I hate weak ass handshakes. I'd rather not shake your hand at all if it's gonna be some limp shake with no pressure.

I agree. It's kind of like saying "Hey, I don't really care about meeting you...or you in general."

On the other hand (no pun intended), I don't like strong handshakes either. Firm? Yes. Strong? Smurf you.

But if I had to choose, I'd rather not shake hands at all. Who knows what people do with their hands? It's a well known fact that most men normally don't wash their hands regularly. A simple hand in the air and a "hi" will do for me.

rubah
09-05-2008, 04:51 AM
I agree with Vyk.
Thank you.

I think Rubah and Miriel are talking about something else. 'Cause I'm inclined to agree with them though they're disagreeing with me O_o sounds more like you're talking about fat unhygeinic hands rather than a handshake lol
I guess I don't know what you're talking about. I'm talking about what makes a good handshake.

DMKA
09-05-2008, 05:34 AM
I prefer not to touch the hand of a stranger, thanks.