PDA

View Full Version : What is most important in education

Wolf Kanno
09-04-2008, 06:19 AM
If you were restricted to teaching a child only one subject (Math, Biology, English...) what would it be? Basically what field of study do you feel is most important and if you had to base a child's future on it what subject do you feel will help him out the most down the road.

BTW: Reading and Writing are prohibited, we're talking higher education.

Bunny
09-04-2008, 06:24 AM
I would ask him which subject he is most interested in, which field of study he would like me to teach him, and what he sees himself doing when he is an adult.

Barring that, I would say English. You can get decent number of jobs if you know proper English.

Yar
09-04-2008, 06:55 AM
Mathematics. I don't know when you wouldn't need it, unlike something like biology or geography.

That said, there's a reason we study a variety of things in school. ;)

Miriel
09-04-2008, 07:06 AM
Sociology.

Sometimes I think the world can be a much better place if Sociology were a required subject in schools.

I chose Sociology as my major in college, not because I wanted to make a career out of it, but because after taking one soc class, I knew that this was a major that would make me a better person. And it has. I think I'm a much more conscientious human being than I was prior to taking a bunch of Sociology classes. It broadens your mind, makes you challenge stereotypes and misnomers and open your eyes to the world around you.

Dolentrean
09-04-2008, 07:10 AM
Common sence... seriously, way to many people don't have it.

Old Manus
09-04-2008, 11:33 AM
Religious Education.

Hey, the Welsh Assembly deems it important enough to force every pupil in the country to study it until they finish school!

scrumpleberry
09-04-2008, 06:16 PM
Maths teaches you fundemental laws of everything.

rubah
09-04-2008, 06:37 PM
physical sciences

Zeldy
09-04-2008, 07:12 PM
I kinda agree with Miriel, as I do Sociology at college and it really does apply to pretty much everything.

English.

Sergeant Hartman
09-04-2008, 07:18 PM
Eng Lit

Heath
09-04-2008, 08:20 PM
Religious Education.

Hey, the Welsh Assembly deems it important enough to force every pupil in the country to study it until they finish school!

I didn't do it after Year Nine. There was an optional GCSE available in it, but so few people signed up for it they relegated it to an after school club.

Lawr
09-04-2008, 08:24 PM
I would ask him which subject he is most interested in, which field of study he would like me to teach him, and what he sees himself doing when he is an adult.

I like this approach, since Common Sense isn't higher education.

Zeldy
09-04-2008, 08:32 PM
Religious Education.

I didn't do it after Year Nine. There was an optional GCSE available in it, but so few people signed up for it they relegated it to an after school club.

It was compulsory for me all the way through, even though we only got 1/2 a GCSE for doing it xD

NeoTifa
09-04-2008, 08:36 PM
rotc. it teaches leadership, social interaction, attention to detail, teamwork, and discipline

Aerith's Knight
09-04-2008, 08:50 PM
Physics, because it holds both math and the laws of nature, it makes you aware of how the world works around you.

Also informs you of the many dangers that excist.

Breine
09-04-2008, 09:39 PM

I'd have to agree with this.

Overall, I'd probably have to agree with Miriel and say Sociology or maybe Psychology, just because they are so broad and usable subjects.

Quindiana Jones
09-04-2008, 09:40 PM
Common sense. Screw those other pointless subjects. If it can only learn one thing, it's learning something useful. It's also one of the few things that don't need another subject to be understandable.

bipper
09-04-2008, 09:45 PM
Recess. The best thing you can do in life is be a kid.

blackmage_nuke
09-04-2008, 10:21 PM
Mathematics. I dont think Ive ever met an asshole who was good at math.

Aerith's Knight
09-04-2008, 10:25 PM

Hi, I'm Dennis. :)

Myth busted! xD

blackmage_nuke
09-04-2008, 10:50 PM

Hi, I'm Dennis. :)

Myth busted! xD
The interweb doesnt count

Quindiana Jones
09-04-2008, 10:55 PM
You just haven't met enough people, b_n. :D

Wolf Kanno
09-06-2008, 06:05 AM
Well to be honest, I would argue that Sociology and Psychology could both be renamed the "Study of Common Sense". Reason being if you have good common sense these are the two easiest classes to take in life.

As for asking what the kid wants to know... I will clarify to make this more interesting. What would you teach him if he answered one of the following:

1) Your best subject

2) Your worst subject

3) I just want to play video games

4) I just want to watch reality television :D