PDA

View Full Version : Tomb Raider: Anniversary

Heath
09-04-2008, 08:11 PM
Just wanted to gauge opinions on this game. Not really for myself. My father was a big fan of the Tomb Raider games back when they first came out and finished the first three on the PlayStation. I think he may have even beaten the first one on the PC as well!

Anyway, I've been doing a bit of reading about the remake of the first game and was wondering how it was to play and how it compared to the original as he's interested in getting it for his Wii. Any opinions and info would be greatly appreciated.

Nifleheim7
09-04-2008, 09:30 PM
Your father is awesome!:D
(My first TR was TR2 back in '98 and ever since i was hooked to the series).

TRA was definitely an improvement compared with the previous TR(Legend).
Its also unfair to try and compare it with the original.The first TR was groundbreaking for its time,a game which i believe has aged well.I replayed it quite recently and,nostalgia aside,i have to say that i really enjoyed it.The atmosphere and mood of the original is unsurpassable.It also "felt" less linear than the remake.
TR anniversary is a good game,the new puzzles are clever,the graphics are great,but it feels a bit linear (although less than legend).Also i really hated the combat controls especially gimmicks like adrenaline dodge.Things like that subtract from the overall game's atmosphere.
I have played it for PS2 so i can't say about the Wii version (although i have heard a lot of Wii users compaining about the controls).

Jessweeee♪
09-04-2008, 11:42 PM
I have the Wii version and I love it! I haven't finished it yet, but so far so good. I really like the controls! TR games have always had really bad or actually decent controls in the past, but moving it to the Wii was a major improvement.

Vyk
09-05-2008, 02:41 AM
Its not unfair to compare it to the original. Its the point. They're not trying to compete graphically. That's a no brainer. They're trying to re-capture the awe of discovery and the thrill of adventure that used to be the essence of Tomb Raider games. They made it as a learning experience before they went on to make the sequal to Legend (Which I think still reigns over all)

Anniversary was really good for what it was trying to do. It played a lot like the original. Not a lot of people to interact with like in Legend. Just mostly exploration. Which is what they were aiming for. I prefer Legend because I loved not being alone on my adventure. The random comments on the situation from my guys back home was amusingly welcome. But either way, the new franchise is really superior to the originals in my opinion. Those just eventually spiraled down into one big death trap. Literally. The only thing that extended the play time of those games was trap after trap. My brother tried to follow the series more loyally than me. But hearing him rant about TR3 and beyond. Glad I only had the first one. But now I'm glad to be a part of the new series. Legend and Anniversary are both really good and I think they do the franchise a lot of justice

Project G
09-09-2008, 11:07 AM
I have the psp version and it is a million times better than the original and TR Legend!

In this remake they do have some new features Eg. Grappling hook, a system similiar to RE4's quicktime (Don't know if they have that for Wii though), and a rage meter thing for enemies (Except Humans)

It also has the trademark seemingly impossible puzzles and stupidly hard areas and bosses lol.

But overall it is an amazing game!

Badge
09-16-2008, 10:20 AM
I prefer Lara's voice in the original one :( But yeah good game ,the soundtrack is wicked too!