PDA

View Full Version : Recomend a good book to Ava!

Avarice-ness
09-06-2008, 05:10 AM
Okay! Because of pregnancy, I've taken up a lot of reading. I used to be a pretty big book worm and now because of sitting around doing nothing, I'm re-realizing that books are my friends.
I'm pretty picky about the books I read, I'll give every book a chance, but I would -really- love the books reccomended to be something around the following:

Dark satires! Essentially all satire's are dark, but I love satires with the whole Utopia/Dystopia deal going on. I've read Brave New World and finally getting my stubborn self to read 1984. Books you know of that are like the above are TOTALLY cool to reccomend. Really though, any kind of satire or satirical essay is good for me.

Philosophy books. Not one's based mainly on religion. I love plato to death and am currently reading 12 or 13 of his diaglouge's. Now I do like Descarte's Meditations on the first philosophy which goes into god and such, but I tend to like the books that focus on morals and ethics, and lesser on religion.

Now to be a picky little person, if you recommend a book that has to do with philosophy and the such, having an example of what is examined in the book would be cool for me. Granted, I'll prolly find it interesting, I just tend to like to know what kind of deal the book examines. For example, Plato's dialouges about Socrates tend to examine things such as justice, virtue, government, art, life, etc. If you can find me a book or philosopher (even new age philosopher's) that can give me a good read, do so!

Miriel
09-06-2008, 05:15 AM
If you like the whole dystopia theme, you'll really enjoy A Handmaid's Tale. It was a haunting read. And I liked it better than both 1984 and Brave New World.

Roto13
09-06-2008, 05:19 AM
If you like the whole dystopia theme, you'll really enjoy A Handmaid's Tale.

I'm not a Margaret Atwood fan, but she sometimes departs from her standard style and writes some nice gems. :P My personal favourite of which being Oryx and Crake. It's maybe not quite dystopian, but it starts off after the end of humanity with one survivor, and proceeds to tell the story of what happened to everyone from the point of view of that survivor.

Avarice-ness
09-06-2008, 05:19 AM
If you like the whole dystopia theme, you'll really enjoy A Handmaid's Tale. It was a haunting read. And I liked it better than both 1984 and Brave New World.

Ohh. I just read about it and then read a review or two and it already sounds very appealing! This will definitely be going on my books to buy list! Thank you! :D! :D!

@Roto: That one will be on my list as well! =D

The Summoner of Leviathan
09-06-2008, 06:23 AM
Aristotle is a good read though a bit repetitive. I was required to read a bit from his Nicomachian Ethics. The sections I read mainly discussing the meaning of friendship and altruism. he defined three types of friends and what they mean and how they relate to you. This also covers the topic of love and what it means to love yourself, whether it is truly a selfish thing or quite possibly an altruistic thing.

Big D
09-06-2008, 06:28 AM
For something non-fiction, I'd recommend Bill Bryson's The Lost Continent. It's an informative, hilarious, and sometimes grimly cynical account of Bryson's return to America after years living in England. There's a mix of social commentary, anecdote, and fascinating insights into small-town America at the end of the 80s.

In fact, I'd recommend pretty much any of Bryson's travel books for the same reason. Notes from a Small Island for the UK, Neither Here nor There for Europe, Down Under for Australia, and A Walk in the Woods for the Appalachian Trail.

Avarice-ness
09-06-2008, 07:11 AM
Aristotle is a good read though a bit repetitive. I was required to read a bit from his Nicomachian Ethics. The sections I read mainly discussing the meaning of friendship and altruism. he defined three types of friends and what they mean and how they relate to you. This also covers the topic of love and what it means to love yourself, whether it is truly a selfish thing or quite possibly an altruistic thing.

Ohh, actually I would really like that repetitive or not. Not only have I argued the concept of what friendship truly is before, but the argument of love and loving one's self being a selfish act or non-selfish act has always been something that's intrigued me.
That is on my list!

For something non-fiction, I'd recommend Bill Bryson's The Lost Continent. It's an informative, hilarious, and sometimes grimly cynical account of Bryson's return to America after years living in England. There's a mix of social commentary, anecdote, and fascinating insights into small-town America at the end of the 80s.

In fact, I'd recommend pretty much any of Bryson's travel books for the same reason. Notes from a Small Island for the UK, Neither Here nor There for Europe, Down Under for Australia, and A Walk in the Woods for the Appalachian Trail.

xD You're like a weird mind-reader or something. I would actually like this because.. well for one, reading SO MANY reviews by people whining about how he talked bad about their town and how he's cynical and cold hearted gives some points. Most of the complaints were that he was full of negativity and made so many obesity jokes. As if America's not fat. Honestly.
I love when someone is able to speak WHAT THEY TRULY FEEL about something, especially when it comes to America because it seems that American's as a whole tend to be blinded by the concept of American pride. From what I see about this book, he just says it like it is.
This will go on my list too! And after reading, it could even go on a list to give to my father who tends to share the same views on America as I do! :D

I AM QUITE PLEASED THAT YOU ARE ALL DOING SO WELL ON YOUR RECOMMENDATIONS! :D

BG-57
09-06-2008, 06:30 PM
I'm a big fan of Jared Diamond. His Guns, Germs and Steel is the best explaination I've read for the differences between societies. Also Collapse is a great study of why societies fail. My favorite chapter is on Easter Island.

Tama2
09-07-2008, 11:15 AM
"Behold a Pale Horse" will blow your mind.

Heath
09-07-2008, 11:28 AM

Before I even opened this thread I was going to recommend some Bill Bryson because I'm currently reading Notes from a Big Country and utterly adored Notes from a Small Island, so I very much second the suggestion that you read some Bill Bryson.

I don't see how he's unfairly cynical. He can be but usually only for good reason. I think he starts one of his columns by describing how his wife just thinks he bitches all the time in his column, but I find his enthusiasm for little things like garbage disposals or junk food to be terribly endearing and that he displays a rather great enthusiasm for both Britain and America.

Otherwise, along the dystopian themes, try A Clockwork Orange or The Man in the High Castle.

Avarice-ness
09-08-2008, 01:11 AM
I'm a big fan of Jared Diamond. His Guns, Germs and Steel is the best explaination I've read for the differences between societies. Also Collapse is a great study of why societies fail. My favorite chapter is on Easter Island.

I will definitely check this out! After reading about the above, it could be possible you even just recommended a good book to buy for my dad also!

Before I even opened this thread I was going to recommend some Bill Bryson because I'm currently reading Notes from a Big Country and utterly adored Notes from a Small Island, so I very much second the suggestion that you read some Bill Bryson.

I don't see how he's unfairly cynical. He can be but usually only for good reason. I think he starts one of his columns by describing how his wife just thinks he bitches all the time in his column, but I find his enthusiasm for little things like garbage disposals or junk food to be terribly endearing and that he displays a rather great enthusiasm for both Britain and America.

Otherwise, along the dystopian themes, try A Clockwork Orange or The Man in the High Castle.

Most of the people calling him unfair and complaining were one's from the places that he verbally tore down. Ironically, even in the reviews other people would tell the complainers that he's just telling what he sees and just because he does it in a manner that offends them doesn't mean that the book is bad and not true.

And I will check both of those out! My list is getting long, so I've started to write them down!

~*~Celes~*~
09-08-2008, 02:40 AM
Ever read Ayn Rand's The Fountainhead? It has to do with altruism vs rational selfishness, mostly. I haven't read it in quite a while (read it in class in English 11 Honors), but I do remember that it's a really, really good book, and I had lots of trouble putting it down so I could get some sleep :p I think you might like it.

Moon Rabbits
09-08-2008, 03:14 AM

A Handmaid's Tale is a really great book. Also, the Dispossessed by Ursula K. LeGuin is very good and has some strong political stuff going on underneath the surface. Here's the synopsis on the back of my copy:

In her most ambitious and prophetic novel to date, Ursula K. Le Guin has produced a stunning tour de force - the spellbinding story of Shevek, a brilliant physicist who single-handedly attempts to re-unite two planets cut off from each other by centuries of distrust.

Anarres, Shevek's homeland, is a bleak moon settled by an anarchic utopian civilization; Urras, the mother planet, is a world very similar to Earth, with its warring nations, great poverty, and immense wealth. Shevek risks everything in a courageous visit to Urras - to learn, to teach, to share. But his gift becomes a threat ... and in the profound conflict which ensues, Shevek must re-examine his philosophy of life.

~*~Celes~*~
09-08-2008, 07:31 AM

A Handmaid's Tale is a really great book. Also, the Dispossessed by Ursula K. LeGuin is very good and has some strong political stuff going on underneath the surface. Here's the synopsis on the back of my copy:

In her most ambitious and prophetic novel to date, Ursula K. Le Guin has produced a stunning tour de force - the spellbinding story of Shevek, a brilliant physicist who single-handedly attempts to re-unite two planets cut off from each other by centuries of distrust.

Anarres, Shevek's homeland, is a bleak moon settled by an anarchic utopian civilization; Urras, the mother planet, is a world very similar to Earth, with its warring nations, great poverty, and immense wealth. Shevek risks everything in a courageous visit to Urras - to learn, to teach, to share. But his gift becomes a threat ... and in the profound conflict which ensues, Shevek must re-examine his philosophy of life.

Sounds like something I might wanna check out too =D

NeoTifa
09-08-2008, 09:00 PM
i read all fiction, mainly based around the olde days of yore :P and vampires.

a game of thrones by george r.r. martin is a fantastic read.
A Game of Thrones - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_game_of_thrones)
also the twilight series by stephanie meyer.
Twilight (novel) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twilight_(novel))

Moon Rabbits
09-08-2008, 11:05 PM

I strongly recommend LeGuin's work. Her sci-fi novels are all great (specifically the "Hainish Cycle," which the Dispossessed is a part of), and I've heard her fantasy stuff is wonderful. I've never read any of her fantasy stuff, but her Earthsea series sounds pretty radical.

~*~Celes~*~
09-09-2008, 02:21 AM

I strongly recommend LeGuin's work. Her sci-fi novels are all great (specifically the "Hainish Cycle," which the Dispossessed is a part of), and I've heard her fantasy stuff is wonderful. I've never read any of her fantasy stuff, but her Earthsea series sounds pretty radical.

Didn't they make a show called Earthsea on the Sci-Fi channel? I vaguely remember seeing a commercial....

BG-57
09-10-2008, 02:48 AM
Oh, and Complete and Utter Failure by Neil Steinberg. It describes the role of failure and flops in society. The best chapter is on failed food products. I especially like the TV dinner concept that included a small bottle of wine, except it was cooking wine, spiced and salty.

Rengori
09-10-2008, 05:00 AM

Didn't they make a show called Earthsea on the Sci-Fi channel? I vaguely remember seeing a commercial....

If I remember correctly it's based off those books.

Coma
09-10-2008, 11:46 AM

QFMFT