PDA

View Full Version : Away from home...

Breine
09-06-2008, 09:17 AM
Okay, so the day after tomorrow I'm going to take a plane to China, which will be the start of a trip around the world that's gonna last 7 months. I'm very excited and freaked out at the same time - I've been planning this for about a year now, and suddenly it's here. Very surreal. In a way I thought I was going to be more ready than this xD

My travelling plan is as follows:

- China
- Nepal
- India
- Thailand
- Laos
- Vietnam
- Cambodia
- Japan
- USA

It's going to be wild, amazing, scary, loco and all kinds of other stuff. Now, I will try to come online every once in a while, and thus come on EoFF.. but I don't know how much working internet I'll be able to find in e.g. Nepal or India.. but I'll try my best :)

Anyway, now for a topic: What's the longest time you've ever been away from home? (Going to college doesn't count, since you're actually moving).

Montoya
09-06-2008, 09:24 AM
What? That's crazy. I wish I could do something like that. Yes, I am jealous. :p

The longest I've been away from home would be when I went to Mexico for a month and a half. It was alright I guess.

Krelian
09-06-2008, 09:30 AM
Wow, I wish I had done something like this once. How much did it cost you, if you don't mind the question? Are there special travel agencies that help you with this sort of thing or did you plan everything by yourself? It sounds like a great adventure and I can't deny that I'm a little jealous ;) Though I probably would've substituted Thailand for Malaysia or Indonesia, or at least added one of the two.

Anyway, the longest I've been away from home was only six weeks I spent in France. It was something like a summer camp, but not as restricted or whatever.

Breine
09-06-2008, 09:44 AM
Wow, I wish I had done something like this once. How much did it cost you, if you don't mind the question? Are there special travel agencies that help you with this sort of thing or did you plan everything by yourself?

The tickets themselves, and the treks we are going on cost approximately $6400 - this of course doesn't include the costs of hotels/hostels, food and all kinds of other things.

We used a travel agency called Jysk Rejsebureau that specializes in independent backpacker trips, and they find some of the cheapest plane trips for you, which of course is super neat.

Krelian
09-06-2008, 10:00 AM
That's helpful. Well, I think money would've been a big problem for me. Never even had this much at once, lol.

Blue Harvest
09-06-2008, 10:31 AM
No Britain? You suck :(

Miriel
09-06-2008, 07:21 PM
I am so freakin' jealous, I think I could stab you right in the heart. :mad2:

No but seriously, I've heard that Southeast Asia is a blast to explore.

The most I've ever been away was 2 weeks spent in South Korea. And that was like a decade ago, so I'm seriously due for another extended trip. Would love to take a month or two to travel Europe. But you know, money, obligations, etc etc.

Hambone
09-07-2008, 05:48 AM
Wait.....this isn't the world, this is primarily Asia. Hell?

Lucky. I'm going to Germany the summer of 2010 though. It's gonna be awesome.

Rye
09-07-2008, 06:04 AM
I hope you have an incredible time.

A week - since I've been in college. Maybe 2 weeks in Italy counts, but I was with my family. But it's been a week since I've seen my family and my house and everything from my home. ;[

~*~Celes~*~
09-09-2008, 01:46 AM
Farthest I've ever been from home was England for a little over 24 hours. I flew by myself, my first airplane experience ever, first time being out of country alone...Lots of firsts that trip =]

As for longest? 3-4 days in Toronto, Canada when I was a freshman in high school and 3-4 days in NYC when I was a junior in high school.

Momiji
09-09-2008, 01:51 AM
The longest I've been from home was when I was in Florida for 2 and a half weeks or so, but I was with my dad and brother then.

A week if you're counting just me alone, though.

Roto13
09-09-2008, 02:14 AM
Isn't that more of a trip around Asia than a trip around the world? :P

I'm going to be spending a month or two in Paris at the end of this year/beginning of next year. Once we're stable, we'll be traveling all the time. :P

Yar
09-09-2008, 02:25 AM
I hate to travel, but that just may be because I'm always dragged to boring-ass places (Hell, I'm in Montana right now.) My favorite trip ever was to Chicago, and that's not exactly far away. The longest I've spent away was a summer in Nashville with my g-parents.

Clouded Sky
09-09-2008, 03:22 AM
Wow Breine, that looks incredible! I'm rather jealous and I hope you enjoy it - seriously, live it up!

The longest I've ever been away from home was a two month stint in Japan last summer. On Saturday, I'm also boarding a plane. Back to Japan. For ten months. And then that will officially become my longest trip away from home.