PDA

View Full Version : FF9 and my PS2.

Shronz_Thegreat
09-06-2008, 03:23 PM
Well...My FF9 refuses to play on my PS2, which makes me a sad panda cause I wanted to play it since like...two weeks ago and once I got it, I cannot touch it.

I want to eat someones soul :O!

Anyways, I put tape on the bottom of the disk to balance it out so the laser might be able to read it...yeah sike, no.

Is there anything else I can do to fix this problem before I must try to take it apart.

(It has a class 1 laser, I areznot want to be BLIND!)

Brennan
09-06-2008, 03:40 PM
Disc Read Error?
Try opening and closing the disc tray until it loads (in the browser)

Vivisteiner
09-06-2008, 03:49 PM
Clean it really well, and try putting it in loads of times. Test all four disks and check if all of them/some of them aren't working.

If all else fails, return it and get a new copy. You should get refunded, right?

Shronz_Thegreat
09-06-2008, 03:52 PM
I bought it 5 years ago, I don't know if I can still trade it in. But I guess i'll give it a try, worst comes to worst i'll drop 100$ and buy a nice new one :)

And all other disks work, though I don't have a blue disk so I really can't tell. Black is the only one giving me a problem.

Vivisteiner
09-06-2008, 04:42 PM
^I meant, its probably a problem with the disc and not the PS2, because all the other disks are working. So maybe you should get a new copy of the game.

Heath
09-06-2008, 06:28 PM
I was under the impression that this was just something that happens to PS2s after a while. Happened to mine. I ended up downloading ePSXe to play FFVIII on after my PS2 refused to load the game up for me.

The Summoner of Leviathan
09-07-2008, 05:08 PM
It is a disc reading error. Started to happen to my PS2 half a year ago. If you find a good guide it is hardly dangerous. I am the DIY type of person. All it takes is a bit of patience and a half hour of your time. Just make sure to be careful. The only instances when you run the PS2 while having it apart is when you adjust the lens, but you have the cover on the CD area, so you should not have a problem when you are testing it.

If it truly a disc read error, buying a new game will not fix it. Actually, at one point it got to the point where my PS2 no longer played any new games and only old ones. :/

Here's the guide I used! Hope it is useful. PS, you need a jeweller's screwdriver. You know, the itsy-bitsy ones?

Here (http://arstechnica.com/articles/paedia/hardware/ps2.ars?68142&17692)

Read through it several times until you know what you have to do and are comfortable doing it. Also keep it near by in case of references.

EDIT: If you are not comfortable doing it then perhaps get someone you know to do it, especially if you know someone who regularly does this sort of thing.

EDIT2: BTW taking the PS2 apart invalidates the warranty. It is usually a year warranty for the PS2. So if it is still under warranty get it fixed professionally.

Levian
09-07-2008, 05:23 PM
I was under the impression that this was just something that happens to PS2s after a while. Happened to mine. I ended up downloading ePSXe to play FFVIII on after my PS2 refused to load the game up for me.

Huh. My PS2 eventually gave up playing PS2 games and would only run PS1 games. Together we have a fully functioning PS2. ;)

Dreddz
09-07-2008, 06:01 PM
Putting tape underneath the disc is damaging both your disc and the laser in your PS2. So I really wouldn't do that from now on. From the looks of it you have a botched disc and need to buy a new copy of the game. If you think the laser is broken and your suffering from disc read errors then there is an easy fix. (http://arstechnica.com/articles/paedia/hardware/ps2.ars) Happened to my PS2 and this method fixed my PS2 permanently.

o_O
09-07-2008, 11:35 PM
If it's happening only on FFIX (and it plays other PSX games without trouble) then I would guess that it's the disc that's damaged, and not the PS2.

If it doesn't play other PSX games then you might have a problem with the tray or laser alignment. In most PS2s (except for the really old ones; first two generations) it's quite easy to fix alignment errors. I've repaired several PS2s using the method in the guide posted by TSoL (and broken a couple :p), but it really does work provided that laser alignment is the problem.

Putting tape or any foreign object on the disc causes it to be imbalanced when spinning inside the PS2, and this often causes the disc to jump off of the tray clip and ricochet around inside the PS2.

Personally, I'd just rip the game to my computer and play it through an emulator. You can use your PS2 controllers, and even use different shaders to "improve" the original graphics of the game.