PDA

View Full Version : Americanized Japanese Gameshows

Yar
09-08-2008, 05:57 PM
It seems to be the new wave of our entertainment... :-/

At first there was the short lived Banzai. Then we had MXC, which was actually a parody. But much more recently there's been I Survived A Japanese Gameshow and Wipeout (which seems to be a serious take on whatever show MXC dubs). Now FOX is making a show based on a Youtube video I've seen from a gameshow in Japan.

I'm really starting to abhor this influx of Japanese TV, but it's better than crap like Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader?

Discuss.

Vyk
09-08-2008, 06:01 PM
Do any of those others even compare to MXC? :P

Balzac
09-08-2008, 07:47 PM
Banzai was actually an English show spoofing Japanese shows, it was created by RDF Media. Also, MXC is called by it's original name here, Takeshi's Castle.

scrumpleberry
09-08-2008, 08:07 PM
Takeshi's castle is a good laugh x)

Bunny
09-08-2008, 08:37 PM
They would be better if the announcers had the same energy the Japanese announcers have.

arcanedude34
09-08-2008, 08:44 PM
I'd say the nly Americanized version of anything that even BEGINS to qualify as a Japanese gameshow that I enjoyed was Ninja Warrior, but that got old after the second episode I saw, since it's the same thing over and over and over... it's like school, work, or sports. Very repetitive and boring.

Roto13
09-08-2008, 09:51 PM
Banzai was SO WEIRD! There was one where you had to guess which penis belonged to who, and they showed all of the penises right there on TV. And there was one where people were having a masturbation race and they went behind a curtain and came out with this little cup thing.

o_O
09-08-2008, 10:17 PM
Ninja Warrior was awesome, I followed both the male and female series. Wipeout and MXC are both hilarious shows which I watch on a regular basis too. :p

charliepanayi
09-08-2008, 10:21 PM
Takeshi's Castle on UK TV is hilarious - Craig Charles does a great commentary for it.

Moon Rabbits
09-08-2008, 11:03 PM
I like Unbeatable Banzuke, but I guess that isn't really Americanized as it is just subbed (and sort of dubbed ... ).

I Survived a Japanese Gameshow is kind of lame, Wipeout I've never seen, MXC is funny and Banzai ... Banzai is just Banzai. That show was seriously weird.

I don't really have a problem with it, cuz I like Japanese gameshows (the whole punishing ignorance over rewarding intelligence is just so much more fun), but the americanized versions just ... lack something the original Japanese versions do.

Maybe it's the "wow that's so fucking weird/cute/awesome/fucked up" factor.

Yar
09-08-2008, 11:21 PM
I like Japanese gameshows (the whole punishing ignorance over rewarding intelligence is just so much more fun)

That's from The Simpsons. :p Then they fall into the volcano.

Namelessfengir
09-08-2008, 11:37 PM
i saw hole in the wall last night.... it sucked so damn bad

Markus. D
09-09-2008, 12:44 AM
I want them to Americanize Japanese Prank Shows.

Moon Rabbits
09-10-2008, 03:54 AM
I like Japanese gameshows (the whole punishing ignorance over rewarding intelligence is just so much more fun)

That's from The Simpsons. :p Then they fall into the volcano.

Doesn't make it any less true.

Rengori
09-10-2008, 05:01 AM
MXC is the only one worth watching.

Sir Lancealot
09-10-2008, 11:25 AM
i saw hole in the wall last night.... it sucked so damn bad

The only thing that could make it watchable for more than 5 seconds would be to have Demon Wall as a guest.