PDA

View Full Version : The future is awesome

Roto13
09-09-2008, 05:18 AM
100,000 issues of the new Esquire magazine have a cover made with E Ink. E Ink is awesome. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKS12PMdJ6w)

Just don't read the standard idiotic YouTube comments. Those people have no place in the future. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E_Ink)

So what things about living in the future do you love?

Tavrobel
09-09-2008, 05:21 AM
A past that I can remember and say "hey, I remember when we didn't have that." Also, awesome.

I Took the Red Pill
09-09-2008, 05:30 AM
I love the fact that kids will be saying, "You were born in the 1900s :aimsurp:?"

Rantz
09-09-2008, 09:06 AM
"Yeah kid. Did you know we had seven continents back then?"

CimminyCricket
09-09-2008, 09:46 AM
What is happening to my world?

Heath
09-09-2008, 10:38 AM
A past that I can remember and say "hey, I remember when we didn't have that." Also, awesome.

Pretty much. Also being able to use the phrase "back in the good old days."

Serapy
09-09-2008, 10:53 AM
I'm unable to create a folder in the Future.

Quindiana Jones
09-09-2008, 01:19 PM
"I remember when I was a kid...." Then talk about how slow the computers were, and how we actually had to hold our mobile phones.

Aerith's Knight
09-09-2008, 01:21 PM
"Gwandpa! Gwanpa! What awe those big metal things?"

"Those are cars, Jimmy. We used them to keep the population under control."

JKTrix
09-09-2008, 01:28 PM

...by running them over?

E-ink thing is pretty cool. Now we'll have internet popup quality flash ads in our magazines, except now we have to turn the page instead of clicking X.

Aerith's Knight
09-09-2008, 01:37 PM

...by running them over?

"Aye, Jimmy, it were tought times. We still lived on the ground and it got crowded."

"No way! Youw still lived on the gwound?"

Flying Mullet
09-09-2008, 01:41 PM

Like before the internet and cell phones? :p

Heath
09-09-2008, 01:51 PM

Like before the internet and cell phones? :p

Yeah. The Internet is overrated. I only use it ironically.

Jiro
09-09-2008, 01:56 PM
I dread the day technology passes me by. I don't want to be a useless old man, but it seems inevitable

blackmage_nuke
09-09-2008, 02:25 PM
I remember when my mouse didnt have a scroll wheel.

Madame Adequate
09-09-2008, 02:26 PM
Oh, hi. So I see you made a thread for me to talk about for six days straight in. :p

The internet and cellphones are a good start! The former has over one billion people, the latter has over two. We are one-third of the way to a completely connected planet. :o This happened in a decade. Computers are taking longer but OLPC is a good start there.

Computers themselves, for that matter. A single average desktop has more computing power than the entire planet did just a few decades ago.

Tomorrow I might be able to say "We can make black holes" which pretty much elevates our species as a collective to Godhood.

Nanotechnology is proceeding apace. We're not even on the cusp of it yet, but very soon it'll arrive in full force.

We're getting increasingly good cloaking devices. We're getting increasingly good exosuits, too. Supersoldiers here we come!

I like how I have all the things I need to survive without needing to hunt, forage, gather, etc. I can turn a tap on and get water. I open my fridge and get food. There's a roof over my head. This isn't the privilege of kings and emperors, it's something regular folks have. Not globally, true, but that situation improves daily.

Splitting the atom, going to the moon, eradicting smallpox entirely - nobody gets smallpox anymore because we completely destroyed it. The only smallpox left on Earth is in a couple of labs in the US and Russia. How cool is that? We're working on the same for Polio, and we're damned close to destroying that entirely as well.

Yeah, I love the future. Gets better every day. :cool:

Edit: We're getting better at cybernetics too. That's always awesome.

Aerith's Knight
09-09-2008, 02:28 PM
Nanotechnology is proceeding apace. We're not even on the cusp of it yet, but very soon it'll arrive in full force.

It's having some problems with Quantum physical laws on that scale, but we should see the first changes in 3 years.

Old Manus
09-09-2008, 02:29 PM
I'll bump this thread in 10 years time and we'll evaluate.

Flying Mullet
09-09-2008, 02:31 PM
I remember when we didn't have a mouse and I wanted one so badly. xD

Aerith's Knight
09-09-2008, 02:34 PM

I remember when the mouse only was an animal put in hot dogs.

Rantz
09-09-2008, 03:30 PM

I remember when the mouse only was an animal put in hot dogs.

No you don't—computer mice were invented several years before your birth :p

Flying Mullet
09-09-2008, 03:52 PM
http://www.homemade-websites.com/kelso_burn.gif

Yar
09-09-2008, 04:39 PM
"We used to have an ozone. And polar bears!"
"Ooh..."

Peegee
09-09-2008, 04:54 PM
Pfft none of that will happen

In less than 30 years we'll perfect the ability to have 'virtual' reality and nobody will converse with each other.

Roto13
09-09-2008, 06:03 PM

...by running them over?

E-ink thing is pretty cool. Now we'll have internet popup quality flash ads in our magazines, except now we have to turn the page instead of clicking X.
Why do you ruin things?

I'll bump this thread in 10 years time and we'll evaluate.
Oh, Manus. You'll be long banned by then. :bigsmile:

Dolentrean
09-09-2008, 06:53 PM
I can't wait to be old (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmDYrLLrydI)

Aerith's Knight
09-09-2008, 07:37 PM
I'm going to buy a huge lawn, so I can scare away kids with my lightsaber. :)

theundeadhero
09-09-2008, 11:05 PM
Splitting the atom, going to the moon, eradicting smallpox entirely - <b>nobody gets smallpox anymore</b> because we completely destroyed it. The only smallpox left on Earth is in a couple of labs in the US and Russia. How cool is that? We're working on the same for Polio, and we're damned close to destroying that entirely as well.That's not true. Everybody that deploys to combat in the middle east gets a smallpox shot. I had one in 2004. It's a horrible shot to get too.

Edit: I bolded the most important part.

Rantz
09-09-2008, 11:16 PM
Splitting the atom, going to the moon, eradicting smallpox entirely - nobody gets smallpox anymore because we completely destroyed it. The only smallpox left on Earth is in a couple of labs in the US and Russia. How cool is that? We're working on the same for Polio, and we're damned close to destroying that entirely as well.That's not true. Everybody that deploys to combat in the middle east gets a smallpox shot. I had one in 2004. It's a horrible shot to get too.

Maybe the US army doesn't know, but it is in fact eradicated (http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/smallpox/en/). There are books written on the subject.

Through the success of the global eradication campaign, smallpox was finally pushed back to the horn of Africa and then to a single last natural case, which occurred in Somalia in 1977. A fatal laboratory-acquired case occurred in the United Kingdom in 1978. The global eradication of smallpox was certified, based on intense verification activities in countries, by a commission of eminent scientists in December 1979 and subsequently endorsed by the World Health Assembly in 1980.

Aerith's Knight
09-09-2008, 11:19 PM
Splitting the atom, going to the moon, eradicting smallpox entirely - nobody gets smallpox anymore because we completely destroyed it. The only smallpox left on Earth is in a couple of labs in the US and Russia. How cool is that? We're working on the same for Polio, and we're damned close to destroying that entirely as well.That's not true. Everybody that deploys to combat in the middle east gets a smallpox shot. I had one in 2004. It's a horrible shot to get too.

Maybe the US army doesn't know, but it is in fact eradicated (http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/smallpox/en/). There are books written on the subject.

Through the success of the global eradication campaign, smallpox was finally pushed back to the horn of Africa and then to a single last natural case, which occurred in Somalia in 1977. A fatal laboratory-acquired case occurred in the United Kingdom in 1978. The global eradication of smallpox was certified, based on intense verification activities in countries, by a commission of eminent scientists in December 1979 and subsequently endorsed by the World Health Assembly in 1980.

They are afraid of its use in biological weapons. I'm certain that they keep it in a lab somewhere, in case they need to make a vaccin against some sort of mutation.

Plus, almost anything organically can be made in a labratory. Just takes a lot of time.

bipper
09-09-2008, 11:25 PM
Wow, Hallmark is tha http://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gif.

Too bad this will be the last great achievement mankind makes before the black hole eats us alive :(

I Don't Need A Name
09-09-2008, 11:34 PM
the futures orange...

Big D
09-10-2008, 01:01 AM
I remember hearing about the early days of E Ink quite a few years ago, I *think* back when I was still in high school. I'm glad it's finally coming to fruition. I can't stand the idea of reading a novel off a computer screen, but downloading onto an E Ink reader would be great. It is, after all, a reflective surface rather than a light source - just like real paper, rather than a computer screen.

It's exciting just how fast 'new' technologies are spreading and being integrated into daily life - cellphones, the internet, etc - but the dependence on these rather fallible technologies is a worry. Not because I think it's all going to spontaneously fail, but if people get too accustomed to it then they're rather helpless in those situations where they don't have their favourite gizmo on hand.

Hmm... E Ink + technology that reacts to human thought = Psychic Paper. Oh yes!

For me, the most exciting new technologies are genetic medicine and nanotechnology. There are entirely realistic predictions that in due course, every home might have a small 'nanomachine factory' appliance. You download a pattern for something from the internet, and an army of miscroscopic robots build it for you. Sounds fanciful, but they're getting there - and it'd completely revolutionise manufacturing and consumer culture.

Jessweeee♪
09-10-2008, 02:03 AM
Wha...WHAT IS THIS TRICKERY?!