PDA

View Full Version : Burnitdown

Kes
09-10-2008, 09:42 AM
I think very few things are as satisfying as ranting about Turnitin.

I just found out that the assignment that was due September 10th actually closed September 9th at 11:59 PM. I realise this is kind of my fault for not checking first, but since it said September 10th right underneath the file with the assignment, I thought I'd be good turnitinning at 4:30AM. Now I may not get any credit at all.

What has Turnitin done to you lately?

Magixion
09-10-2008, 05:47 PM
Oh this has happened to me so much. Our school has things due at 11:59 pm on the night they are due, and sadly, I usually wait until about that time to finish up anyways. I can't even tell you how many times I have turned in assignments at 12:00 am or 12:01 and lost credit for it. Luckily, they usually just count it late and only take off a few percent.

qwertysaur
09-10-2008, 06:54 PM
One of my teachers used something similar to that, only he was computer illiterate and always set the due date in the wrong year or something, and the program locked submissions after due dates.

He stopped using it when 0 out of 50 students did any of the work 3 times in a row though.

o_O
09-11-2008, 01:22 AM
I had an electronic submission system at my university, and despite being a computer science major, some of my lecturers were chronically unable to manage the submission dates. Often, the submission wouldn't open until the day it was due, so it was impossible to get the extra credit (which was offered) by turning it in early. Other times it would open at midnight of the due date, and close at 1am the same day. It also placed restrictions on file types, file names, file size and the number of submitted files, at the lecturer's discretion. One time we were to submit one zip file containing our assignments, but it had to be zero bytes in size in order to be accepted.

But yeah, it was the lecturers' faults every time. :p