PDA

View Full Version : silly question from probably the least computer literate person here

Marky Tee
09-10-2008, 11:55 AM
Right i have both a nintendo wii and broadband in my house so are these enough to start sending msgs over the wifi and eventualy get the onion knight?
i dunno much about how the wifi works obvs:p

Yar
09-14-2008, 04:17 AM
I don't know what a Wii has to do with anything, but you do need a wireless router if you want to use WiFi. It also can't use WEP protection because the DS isn't compatible to it.

Some routers are incompatible with the DS, but most work okay. Then you'll need friend codes to start messaging.

Marky Tee
09-14-2008, 10:41 AM
i just though the wii has that wireless connection to the internet built in or you could buy an accsesory for it which does it
take it it doesnt?

Mirage
09-14-2008, 01:47 PM
The Wii has a wireless adapter built in. A wireless adapter can be used to connect to a wireless network. If this wireless network is connected to the internet, your Wii can get internet access.

If you don't have a wireless access point in your house, you can not use your Wii online. You will then need buy a wireless access point and connect this device to your broadband connection for the Wii to get online.

Marky Tee
09-14-2008, 06:09 PM
jesus this is complicated stuff lol
gotta try to remeber computing class

Mirage
09-14-2008, 06:39 PM
It's not complicated.

Find out if your internet router also functions as a wireless access point. If it's got an antenna, it does.

If it doesn't have an antenna (or several), you need to buy a wireless router or access point. Your friends at your local electronics store will help you find one.

Moon Rabbits
09-14-2008, 07:10 PM
Much easier if you already have a wired connection to your computer:

http://www.myds.com.au/img/accessory/large/Wi-Fi-USB-Connector-2.jpg

Marky Tee
09-15-2008, 02:44 PM
well i dont have one oof those or a wireless internet access point
so no onion knight for me til i get moneys :(