PDA

View Full Version : Great Gospel

Jowy
09-11-2008, 05:24 PM
It's a more tolerable "I Win" button than KotR could ever be. Anyone else ever bother with the sort of grind to get it before Aerith takes it like a champ?

Rantz
09-11-2008, 06:08 PM
I've never bothered to get it. I've thought about doing it several times but always ended up thinking "what's the point?". Maybe I'll do it the next time!

Aerith's Knight
09-11-2008, 06:42 PM
I'd only try it if I find the mod on the internet to change Tifa into Aeris.

PeneloRatsbane
09-11-2008, 07:58 PM
i forgot that i wanted to get her to learn it and fought that dragon. then there was no turning back :(

Saber
09-11-2008, 07:59 PM
Yeah I went and got it. Made Demon wall a lot easier.

Aerith's Knight
09-11-2008, 08:13 PM

Besides the fact that you'd be like lvl 60?

Jowy
09-11-2008, 08:36 PM
I cleared Temple of the Ancients with everyone around 40. Limit grinding goes quickly in the forest near Fort Condor. Aerith went from Limit level 1 to Great Gospel in a little under an hour. Obviously I needed to go to the Mideel area to get beaten on as well so I could crank out my Breath of the Earth and Planet Protector.

Spatvark
09-13-2008, 01:51 AM
Learned it on the final boss that you fight with Aeris in your party, so I never actually got to use it. Figures ¬_¬

Big D
09-13-2008, 03:16 AM
Yep, I got it. Once. Just to see the effect. Pretty cool, and worth it for the sense of 'character completion' or whatever.
Also, the amount of battle-grinding necessary to get it meant that I had an over-levelled party with a lot of final limit breaks. The rest of the game was a cinch.

Elly
09-13-2008, 12:14 PM
if the makers didn't want you to get it, they would not have put it in the game at all, so i get it every time...

cloud21zidane16
09-15-2008, 12:12 AM
i always get it as early as possible:)

Xurts
09-24-2008, 11:24 PM
Never, I consider it a waste of time since Aeris dies so early. Plus the bosses you fight with Aeris are easy so getting it is major overkill.

Elly
09-25-2008, 04:58 AM
of course it's overkill, that's part of the fun... dying/losing is not fun, beating a boss into next week with little more than a scratch to show for it, now that's fun...

erikramza
09-25-2008, 08:07 AM
of course it's overkill, that's part of the fun... dying/losing is not fun, beating a boss into next week with little more than a scratch to show for it, now that's fun...

so a game that has no challenge is funner than one with it?

why does this happen to rpgers? I don't understand. beating any boss with a lower level than recommended is something more boast worthy then playing the game 15 hours longer, so you're unbalanced and the game no longer has difficulty. I aptly name this DBZ Syndrome.

Spending so much time leveling (charging for 6 fucking episodes), and becoming so powerful that you can blow up a planet with one finger.

Barely surviving a boss fight while trying to maintain the lowest level possible, with maybe one character left standing in the end. now that's a good fight.

Elly
09-25-2008, 01:21 PM
well there's sadism, where you like to inflict much pain on others, i.e. taking the boss out when it doesn't stand a chance, then there is the massochist that love to recieve a good beatdown from said boss when they don't stand a chance, both are boastworthy assuming you survive the beatdown... you can boast about taking the boss and wasting all your resources trying to stay alive during the fight when you're clearly not ready, or you can boast about the time you invested to become so powerfull the boss doesn't stand a chance, both are brag-worthy... personaly i'd rather face the next boss, get it over with, then advance the story without having to do it over and over again hoping to get lucky... besides, winning with only one char left standing means your other KO'd chars don't get the EXP for said fight and that's a real waste, it's all about efficiency...

lol "DBZ Syndrome", my lil brother would love that as he's a huge DB/Z/GT fan...

Heath
09-25-2008, 04:43 PM
I've never bothered to get it quite simply because I've never bothered to use Aeris. Even in my first playthrough, before I knew she was going to get bumped off, she never really appealed to me as a character as some of the others did. Like Rantzien, I've often thought about getting it but have never bothered to follow through on such thoughts.

Zeromus_X
09-25-2008, 05:55 PM
well there's sadism, where you like to inflict much pain on others, i.e. taking the boss out when it doesn't stand a chance, then there is the massochist that love to recieve a good beatdown from said boss when they don't stand a chance, both are boastworthy assuming you survive the beatdown... you can boast about taking the boss and wasting all your resources trying to stay alive during the fight when you're clearly not ready, or you can boast about the time you invested to become so powerfull the boss doesn't stand a chance, both are brag-worthy... personaly i'd rather face the next boss, get it over with, then advance the story without having to do it over and over again hoping to get lucky... besides, winning with only one char left standing means your other KO'd chars don't get the EXP for said fight and that's a real waste, it's all about efficiency...

Except that it's rarely necessary, in most of the RPGs I've ever played, to power level to the point of flicking a boss away with one finger. Bosses can easily be taken out at average to below average levels by just using simple strategy. Knowing how a boss works, what equipment to wear, what skills to use, standard things like that. That's why it produces a question mark when some players automatically think they have to start leveling up if they lose against a boss.

Anyway, I never get Great Gospel. Though I have seen a video of it, and it does indeed look cool.

Roogle
09-25-2008, 09:00 PM
In my last playthrough of Final Fantasy VII, I allowed Aerith to learn Great Gospel and use it in the remaining boss battles until she left the party permanently.

Elly
09-26-2008, 01:07 AM
ah, but to learn the strategy to kill said boss you'd either need a strategy guide or fight it a few times to figure out what equips, magics, ect. to use on it, unless you have the option to change equips during battle...
anyway GG rules get it at least one playthrough, i'm sure it's what the creators would want, seeing as it's there...

Zeromus_X
09-26-2008, 01:40 AM
ah, but to learn the strategy to kill said boss you'd either need a strategy guide or fight it a few times to figure out what equips, magics, ect. to use on it, unless you have the option to change equips during battle...

Don't even need an faq if you just pay attention to the boss and plan accordingly. And yeah, well, I'd much rather die a few times on a tough boss, and actually figure out a way of defeating it effectively, then waste time grinding.

Elly
09-26-2008, 11:53 AM
wheras i'd rather get it done the first time, leveling isn't really much of a grind if you're smart about it and don't wast resourses doing it...
you see there is no right or wrong way to play and those that claim there is are just trying to be elitist, everybody has their method, what works for one person may not necessarily work for another, some ppl like to spam pots like there's no tomorrow and others like to hold onto their resourses incase they unexpectedly run into something they may have a hard time with, it's all in the individuals playstyle, in FF7 i personaly like to be lvl20 by time i leave Midgar while others are content with lvl8-10, but i also like the asthetics of Midgar and don't really wanna leave it anyway, but due to limited explorable space i have to move on eventualy...
anyway my point is really it should not raise the question mark when someone's playstyle differs from your own cause we are all different people with our own ways of looking and reacting to things and games are no different, if someone wants to get beatdown by a boss and see the Game Over screen some upteen times that's ok, and if someone wants to breeze through boss fights and never see that screen that's ok too, one does not make someone a better gamer than the other...

Carl the Llama
10-26-2008, 10:57 AM

Besides the fact that you'd be like lvl 60?

not so, you only need to kill 240 enemies to unlock her level 3 limit, and yes I have got her limit break every time, I find useing Matra Magic a good method of killing a large amount of mobs.

Fate Fatale
10-26-2008, 05:44 PM
I've never gotten it as I hate using Aeris. I'm more of a Yuffie and RedXIII person earlier in the game. I don't get it purely because I never use her.

.:kerrod:.
10-30-2008, 11:13 AM
i vowed to never try to get it again after i got it once and that f***ing wh*re b*tch died on me before i could teach it to her...i knew she...*ahem*...'left permanently', but i didn't think it would be so early, so i didn't have the previous limits before she was 'taken' from me (it was pretty good to have her off my hands though :rolleyes2)

also, those people (person?) saying that she 'learned' it in the last battle before she died...you are aware that you actually have to 'teach' it to her right?

FFIX Choco Boy
10-30-2008, 09:28 PM
I got her to learn it in my last playthrough, it was nice to use. Also, on the fact of beating a boss down vs. barely winning, I prefer to beat bosses down after I buff up to really make the fight a breeze, except vsing Emmy/Ruby, I love to get my ass kicked by them when I'm underpowered, except I killed Ruby before in an underpowered state.

I Don't Need A Name
10-31-2008, 11:18 AM
I've never bothered cause i smurfing hate Aeris.
also, i think that if a boss isnt a challenge then its pointless. if i start breezing through the bosses, then i feel a little disappointed cause theres no challenge left

Dignified Pauper
10-31-2008, 11:39 AM
Wait a second... Aeris dies!? OMG! You all have just spoiled a huge part of this game for me! Thanks for marking your spoilers.

DarkBahamut
11-01-2008, 08:14 PM
Learned it on the final boss that you fight with Aeris in your party, so I never actually got to use it. Figures ¬_¬
How do you learn a final limit break? You need to use item.
Unless you mean you had activated the item before the battle?

Depression Moon
11-02-2008, 07:08 PM
About Great Gospel, I just obtained The Breath of the Earth for the first time, is it after that one?