PDA

View Full Version : White and nerdy

Rye
09-12-2008, 12:52 AM
My Japanese 101 class is most certainly the nerdiest class in the university, except possibly higher level Japanese to weed out the people who aren't completely enthusiastic.

We have to speak a lot in the class, repeat after the teacher, etc.

Example:

Mainichi, watashi wa gohan o tabemasu.
(Everyday, I eat rice)

We all repeat after the teacher, but there are always the greasy anime shirt wearing kids who scream out their answer so fast so that they can be ultimate Japanese master to cut everyone off. The class was crammed with kids who are fighting for permission codes so they can take the class for credit. I'm nerdier than the average girl, don't get me wrong, but I'm feeling so beaten.

On our homework sheet, we had to translate our new vocabulary words from hiragana to romanji, and then to English, so we could study them. One of them was in kanji, so I didn't understand, but it turned out to be the characters for Japan. I found out because one of the girls looked rabidly over my shoulder and shouted "YOU KNOW THAT MEANS NIHON WHICH MEANS JAPAN IT'S IN KANJI I LEARNED SOME WHEN I WAS IN CAMP I FIGURED NO ONE ELSE WOULD KNOW, ONLY ME, THAT IT WAS IN KANJI, NIHON, MEANS JAPAN, OR IT COULD ALSO BE PRONOUNCED..."

I'm scared. No one has a top knot like in Hsu's japanese class, but it's pretty close.

Any funny class stories?

Værn
09-12-2008, 01:10 AM
CAD class. Enough said. Packed with gamer nerds who wanted to learn to make 3D sprites for video games.

I was faster than the rest of the juniors, so I spent a lot of my free time watching anime and movies in addition to my usual shenanigans (see grilled cheese incident and carrot prank) =P

Montoya
09-12-2008, 01:14 AM
My math teacher is crazy, like insane in the membrane crazy. She starts off super nice like she wouldn't hurt a fly, but the second anyone asks a question about why a problem on the board has that solution she snaps, gets angry, and thinks that everyone is out to get her and rambles on. I swear, everyone is afraid to ask a question.

First day.

Teacher: "You see, I'm kind of like a coach, coaching you guys in math you know."

Student: "So can we call you Coach?"

Teacher: "NO YOU MAY NOT CALL ME COACH! Are you trying to waste my time?!" (And I kid you not, she spends the next seven minutes of class explaining the difference between a coach and a math professor, in addition accusing the student of trying to waste class time.)

Now that is a waste of time! I hate math, and she only makes it worse. :(

Momiji
09-12-2008, 01:28 AM
漢字は、難しいを習う。

I have no idea if that is right or not.

o_O
09-12-2008, 01:30 AM
Most people in my computer science classes were ultra-nerdy. Like, running shoes, dress pants, a dress shirt and one of those <a href="http://www.wellingtonsurplus.com.au/images/m/CT0430.jpg">puffer vest things</a> nerdy.

I had this one calculus lecturer in my third year of calc who refused to use any visual aides to his lecturing. He had an overhead projector, a projector hooked up to a computer and nine blackboards (literally), at his disposal, yet all he did was pace back and forth at the front, speaking calculus, without a microphone. He also had a rule of "if I hear your cellphone, you leave", and on more than one occasion stopped the class for over half a lecture until somebody left out of frustration. :p

Marshall Banana
09-12-2008, 02:01 AM
Creepy.

rubah
09-12-2008, 02:29 AM
My engineering classes are all the surly hard workers who know they can make a lot of money and get to upper management positions if they succeed in mechanical engineering. So not so many nerds.

There's this crazy guy who started the year off with brand-new brands. On both arms.
Then the next week he had a black eye, busted blood vessel in his eye, and scratches over the rest of his face. doubya tee eff?

So no, my classes are all srsly buisness.

Moon Rabbits
09-12-2008, 02:30 AM
Most people in my computer science classes were ultra-nerdy. Like, running shoes, dress pants, a dress shirt and one of those <a href="http://www.wellingtonsurplus.com.au/images/m/CT0430.jpg">puffer vest things</a> nerdy.

I had this one calculus lecturer in my third year of calc who refused to use any visual aides to his lecturing. He had an overhead projector, a projector hooked up to a computer and nine blackboards (literally), at his disposal, yet all he did was pace back and forth at the front, speaking calculus, without a microphone. He also had a rule of "if I hear your cellphone, you leave", and on more than one occasion stopped the class for over half a lecture until somebody left out of frustration. :p

You described everyone in any computer course I have ever taken, save myself. Taking these kinds of courses makes me feel so much more awesome and cool than I actually am because I do not have a pizza face, stringy hair, and my pants tucked into my socks. Jeezus. I once had to try and explain my reasoning for having facial piercings to this guy for almost a half an hour, eventually I gave up. He called them barbaric or something. I rolled my eyes. On more than one occasion when the nerdy types get all elitist and would poke fun at my code or something of the like, I was so overwhelmingly compelled to turn around and tell them all that I've touched more girls than they ever will, which, is kind of sad, seeing as I am gay and all.

Also, Rye, you have only confirmed my assumptions about what taking a Japanese course would be like. Full of otakus who desperately are trying to prove that THEY ARE THE MOST JAPANESE. Scary ; - ;

brand-new brands.

Brands? Like he branded himself? With hot iron? Hardcore.

black orb
09-12-2008, 02:55 AM
>>> God knows how much I hated the School/College and classes.
But now im free from all that torture. :tongue:

rubah
09-12-2008, 03:06 AM
Brands? Like he branded himself? With hot iron? Hardcore.
It was disgusting

o_O
09-12-2008, 03:36 AM

You described everyone in any computer course I have ever taken, save myself. Taking these kinds of courses makes me feel so much more awesome and cool than I actually am because I do not have a pizza face, stringy hair, and my pants tucked into my socks. Jeezus. I once had to try and explain my reasoning for having facial piercings to this guy for almost a half an hour, eventually I gave up. He called them barbaric or something. I rolled my eyes. On more than one occasion when the nerdy types get all elitist and would poke fun at my code or something of the like, I was so overwhelmingly compelled to turn around and tell them all that I've touched more girls than they ever will, which, is kind of sad, seeing as I am gay and all.

Heh heh, I know, right? Superiority in a computer science course is being able to sneer at somebody because you thought of using "int n = (a == 1)?a:0;" instead of "if (a == 1) { int n = a; } else { int n = 0 }". And half of your class is proud of their patchy, scruffy-looking "beards". :p

Moon Rabbits
09-12-2008, 03:49 AM
Heh heh, I know, right? Superiority in a computer science course is being able to sneer at somebody because you thought of using "int n = (a == 1)?a:0;" instead of "if (a == 1) { int n = a; } else { int n = 0 }". And half of your class is proud of their patchy, scruffy-looking "beards". :p

Oh god oh god oh god. It was as if none of them had ever heard of the word razor. Sometimes there was food in them ; - ;

One guy in my class had an epic jewfro though, that was pretty cool.

mooglebunni608
09-12-2008, 04:11 AM
In my german class I got stuff chucked at my head. A lot. Like pencils. And marbles. And tea bags.
Poor guy got a pencil with a tea bag tied to it with a marble inside thrown at his head <3

Rye
09-12-2008, 05:06 AM
The kid I sit next to who has a crush on me in my Japanese class has a massive jewfro. It would put Aaron Freed to shame.

Clouded Sky
09-12-2008, 05:08 AM
Nice try Momiji.

Anyway, yeah that sounds pretty much similar to my first Japanese class. I always felt stupid/normal around some of those kids. By the 6th class though a lot of the anime nerds were gone, and those that remained were on pretty level playing field.

Yar
09-12-2008, 05:20 AM
Rye, as a Japanese-major-to-be, you're starting to scare me. ;_; At least I can change to a different language if need be.

Mr. Chomps
09-12-2008, 06:17 AM
Psychology class was horrible. Everybody would stand at the front of the class and do their demonstrations ... and then it would be my turn, and I'd get real nervous and scared.

:cry:

They were all intimidating know-it-alls except for 'lil old me.

Miriel
09-12-2008, 06:59 AM
My writing for visual and performance arts class has 2 outrageously out and proud gay guys, and they definitely keep the class lively. On the first day, after introductions one of them announced to the class that he was in love with each and every one of us. But yeah, the class is great cause it's full of artists, actors, singers, filmmakers, designers and creators. It's a great energy.

And seriously, I really really love flamboyantly gay men.

Yamaneko
09-12-2008, 07:06 AM
It's all an act to draw attention to themselves.

Balzac
09-12-2008, 01:07 PM
CAD class. Enough said. Packed with gamer nerds who wanted to learn to make 3D sprites for video games.

I was faster than the rest of the juniors, so I spent a lot of my free time watching anime and movies in addition to my usual shenanigans (see grilled cheese incident and carrot prank) =P

Lol, I know that senario all too well.

I don't start until the 22nd so I have none yet. Though, I was told buy the guy interviewing me for the course that I'm the only one there with any 3d experience, so that should be fun.

Aerith's Knight
09-12-2008, 01:30 PM
My 36yo (female) english teacher was hitting on me the last day of class in high school.

*shudder*

My friends still make fun of it.

Rantz
09-12-2008, 01:39 PM
Back in high school we had presentations of our individual projects, and everyone got to view the presentations they wanted to. I thought my audience would consist of a few teachers who had to grade it and a few friends who would show up out of courtesy.

However, my project consisted in trying to recreate the Super Mario Bros engine in Flash—at a school full of nerds—so woe was me. The little classroom I held my presentation in was packed (and I mean really PACKED with people who looked like I was going to present the new version of Internet. People were sitting on tables and shelves and standing outside looking in through the glass walls. xD

Of course, I was all *nervous shivers* and the game engine was all buggy and I'd go "Oops... what happened there... ? Let's, um, restart... :-[". But as it turned out, a lot of people loved it anyway and I got tons of encouragement afterwards from people I'd never seen before.

Momiji
09-12-2008, 01:49 PM
Nice try Momiji.

Anyway, yeah that sounds pretty much similar to my first Japanese class. I always felt stupid/normal around some of those kids. By the 6th class though a lot of the anime nerds were gone, and those that remained were on pretty level playing field.

What did it end up saying? I've never taken a class, so that was all a matter of guessing and flipping through my dictionary. :p

Aerith's Knight
09-12-2008, 10:19 PM
"That, my friend, is one nerdy honkey!"

Cookie for reference.

Rantz
09-12-2008, 11:13 PM
"That, my friend, is one nerdy honkey!"

Cookie for reference.

Scrubs, JD to Turk and Carla about Elliot. Turk follows up with something like "That's two". :)