PDA

View Full Version : Coolest City You've Visited or Lived in?

Yar
09-12-2008, 11:09 AM
While I guess I'm technically a rural kid, I LOVE big cities. I used to look forward to summertime when I could run away to my grandparents' in Nashville. I just enjoy large cities a lot more than my little town. Luckily I'm not too far from larger cities.

The coolest :cool: town I've been to so far is Chicago. That city had a WOW! factor that I still haven't experienced anywhere. We went planning to not rent a car, but take the El or walk. Besides, a flight from Columbus to Chicago is like, 40 minutes long. :p At first I was apprehensive with this idea, but I would prefer to do it this way again.

We went in March, so it had that stereotypical gloomy, foggy, raininess about it during our visit. That was cool with me, I like rain. :) We also went to a Blackhawks/Blue Jackets game, which was our main reason for going to Chi-town in the first place. It was a full-house and the environment was amazing.

What's the coolest city you've visited or lived in?

Mr. Chomps
09-12-2008, 11:56 AM
Cancun! It was really great, and the buildings and stuff were bigger than ANYTHING else I've ever seen in person. I've never been to America, see, and my vacations have been limited to cute little English villages and small Spanish ... uh ... getaways. :)

Balzac
09-12-2008, 01:02 PM
London, I'm never bored there.

Flying Mullet
09-12-2008, 01:33 PM
Tokyo ranks pretty high up there for me. The sheer amount of humanity crammed into such tight quarters yet everything so efficiently run was amazing. Standing on the observation deck of Landmark Tower in Yokohama and looking back over Tokyo was just jaw dropping.

Araciel
09-12-2008, 01:40 PM
I've only lived in three cities. And they all sucked.

Rye
09-12-2008, 02:32 PM
Manhattan: NY, Venice: Italy, and Hamilton: Bermuda in that order. :jess:

rubah
09-12-2008, 03:01 PM
I was really impressed with Houston, TX but I haven't given it a lot of thought just now

Zeldy
09-12-2008, 04:18 PM
ehhh London was okay, I found it really boring, Manchester is my favourite city, it's pretty cool, nothing 'WOWOW' though xD

Miffet
09-12-2008, 04:20 PM
^post in my thread baby o_o

demondude
09-12-2008, 05:22 PM
A little area called Salcombe in south Devon, it's so happy there. <3

Momiji
09-12-2008, 05:29 PM
I've been to Chicago, Cincinnati, Dayton, Atlanta, Miami, St. Augustine, and Daytona. The ones I recall liking were Chicago, Daytona and St. Augustine. The rest were meh.

theundeadhero
09-12-2008, 05:36 PM
I had the most fun spending four days in Rome. I'm going to spend the next four days in Paris so I'll get back to you and let you know if it was better or not.

qwertysaur
09-12-2008, 05:49 PM
Toledo, Spain. The whole city was so beautiful. :p

bipper
09-12-2008, 06:59 PM
I just moved to eden prairie, mn. It is heaven on earth. The balance of compacted people and nature is amazing. Huge shopping centers, smooth freeways, low crime rate, awesome schools. I am happy here.

Comet
09-12-2008, 07:05 PM
Moscow. Beautiful girls left, right and below ;)

SammieBabe
09-13-2008, 06:01 AM
Either NYC or Washington DC..

Miriel
09-13-2008, 06:51 AM
San Francisco, CA.

Not that I've visited a ton of major cities. But SF was definitely full of character.

theundeadhero
09-16-2008, 06:20 PM
Paris was not as fun as Rome. It was still okay.

Rye
09-16-2008, 06:21 PM
Huxley and I agree that Providence, Rhode Island is an amazing little city. :jess:

Moon Rabbits
09-16-2008, 09:04 PM
Toronto, but only because it's the biggest city within reasonable "me being able to afford it" distance.

Queen St. is pretty rad, but I like little India and cabbage town a little bit more. Also Church St. is a pretty radical gaybourhood.

scrumpleberry
09-16-2008, 09:07 PM
Milan <3

DMKA
09-17-2008, 12:50 AM
Phoenix, AZ

It's like a really clean, dryer version of L.A.

The Unknown Guru
09-17-2008, 02:18 AM
Kyoto, definitely. Awesome food, awesome Japanese-ness.

EDIT:
Phoenix, AZ

Clean? :Oo:

Its about as clean as a huge bowl that produces its own toxic gases... Which is basically what it is.

DMKA
09-17-2008, 02:22 AM

EDIT:
Phoenix, AZ

Its about as clean as a huge bowl that produces its own toxic gases... Which is basically what it is.

Compared to L.A. it's sterile. XD

I dare you to show me any US city with it's population that's as clean. Seriously, it's remarkably clean for a city of it's population.

The Unknown Guru
09-17-2008, 02:48 AM

EDIT:
Phoenix, AZ

Compared to L.A. it's sterile. XD

I dare you to show me any US city with it's population that's as clean. Seriously, it's remarkably clean for a city of it's population.

Compared to L.A., my toilet plunger is sterile. :p

Philadelphia is around the same population. Although it's probably almost as nasty, but smog just seems so much worse when its 110 degrees outside. :yuck:

Montoya
09-17-2008, 06:55 AM
Boston.

~*~Celes~*~
09-17-2008, 07:08 AM
Blackpool, UK :) The scenery between there and Manchester is just...beautiful.

Blackpool I like because there are lots of public places where there's shade and you can...

Heath
09-17-2008, 12:16 PM
In terms of actual cities, I've always really liked Chester and Oxford. I should imagine I'll be able to add York to those two names when I've been living there for a while. They're just not terribly big and old-fashioned with long pedestrian areas in the city centre with some absolutely fantastic architecture. Very scenic and I like Chester in particular because it's so small. Always busy as I don't know what, but just jolly nice. Nice enough that I regularly leave Wales to spend days there. Miffincake/Chester - Page 1 - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting (http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v318/Miffincake/Chester/) Some pictures I took (on my camera phone) when I went to Chester last year. Includes pictures of a squirrel. Chester is really one of those towns that's proud of its history and you can see this from the big emphasis on the Romans. Really, if you're ever in the North of England, people go on about Liverpool and Manchester, but people rarely consider Chester, which is definitely an underrated city. Also it's a walled city which is something I very much like.

unfinished fantasy
09-17-2008, 12:21 PM
Helsinki, it's so clean. Visit during summertime!

Clouded Sky
09-17-2008, 12:56 PM
I just arrived in Tokyo and it`s exactly like I remember it. Which is basically amazing. The city is efficient, clean, and there is so much to do. I absolutely love it! I can`t wait to live here for the next year or so. I think I`m going to apply at a butler cafe!

Miriel
09-17-2008, 01:00 PM
Phoenix, AZ

Ugh. I really hated Phoenix when I visited. But to be fair, a lot of that had to do with coconut ice cream masquerading as vanilla. :mad2:

DK
09-17-2008, 01:10 PM
Probably when I lived with my family in Kathmandu for a while. It was a really awesome city, like this part in the city that is just full of hindu temples built with really suave designs and then the pretty countryside where me and my cousin Rahul went on various adventures.

Also when I was there this Nepali festival went on, I can't remember what it was for but it basically involved the entire country getting wasted on booze and soft drugs and then covering each other with multicoloured dye and having a laugh. All the kids used to make different coloured water, fill water bombs with it and go around pelting each other. Near my families house there were a few blocks of tower flats and my cousin had some friends who lived in one and we were up near the top floor on a balcony outside attacking each other with dye when these kids on the block opposite us came out, there was like a 20 foot gap between buildings and they were all armed to the teeth with water bombs and we just had an epic cross-balcony war with them for about half an hour. I have pictures of me and him at the end of that day and my entire body is purple, red and all sorts of other ghetto colours. Was an awesome time, want to go back soon.

Serapy
09-19-2008, 10:46 AM
Helsinki. :p

Badge
09-19-2008, 11:45 AM
Seville was pretty awesome!

White Snake
09-19-2008, 12:17 PM
Dublin. Iīve been there some 4 years ago when I was still in school and I am dying to see it again. Itīs just so beautiful.

Marky Tee
09-19-2008, 12:22 PM
im gonna hazard a guess here at amsterdamn and for obvious reasons
only reason im guessing is cause we went there for a school trip when we where all 10!!!!
10 god damn it!
what fun can a ten year old have in amsterdam?
so im guessing if i went now it would rock indeed

Jowy
09-19-2008, 05:55 PM
I like Milwaukee.

Christmas
09-19-2008, 06:02 PM
Do Midgar counts? :screwy:

escobert
09-19-2008, 06:04 PM
Venice or Florance are without a doubt my favorite cities to chill in. Oh and Amsterdam was obviously fun.

Bunny
09-19-2008, 06:13 PM
San Francisco, CA.

Not that I've visited a ton of major cities. But SF was definitely full of character.

The first and only time I visited San Francisco, I was witness to a homeless black man peeing in the middle of the street with his pants around his ankles. Not exactly the first thing a 13-year-old wants to see when he wakes up from a 4 hour car ride.

Phoenix, AZ

Ugh. I really hated Phoenix when I visited. But to be fair, a lot of that had to do with coconut ice cream masquerading as vanilla.

Coconut ice cream is delicious.

Newport, Oregon remains my favorite city. Granted, I haven't really traveled to many different places.

kikimm
09-20-2008, 05:44 AM
Well, I'm living in Auckland right now, which is...not the greatest place in the world. The best place in New Zealand that I've been to is definitely Taupo. Gorgeous gorgeous gorgeous.

San Francisco is also great and vibrant and I'd love to go there for the third time.

I also found Stockholm to be amazing. Swede power.

escobert
09-20-2008, 05:58 AM
Well, I'm living in Auckland right now, which is...not the greatest place in the world. The best place in New Zealand that I've been to is definitely Taupo. Gorgeous gorgeous gorgeous.

San Francisco is also great and vibrant and I'd love to go there for the third time.

I also found Stockholm to be amazing. Swede power.

Wellington was really nice too!