PDA

View Full Version : Dragon Quest IV

Jowy
09-13-2008, 03:00 AM
holy http://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gif marick was talking to me about this a year ago and i forgot about it until i saw the strategy guide at walmart.

Looks amazing, I vastly prefer the new names for some of the characters, and the battle system seems to have evolved past LOL AUTOBATTLE.

Anyone else gonna pick this up? I'm broke until next week. :aimsad:

NeoCracker
09-13-2008, 07:44 AM
YEah, my copy is paid off, so I'm getting it the moment it comes out.

Markus. D
09-13-2008, 12:52 PM
Is it as horridly uhh... "hard to get into" like all the other DQ games I have played?

Jowy
09-13-2008, 12:53 PM
probably.

Roto13
09-13-2008, 05:15 PM
Dragon Quest VIII feels dated enough for me, thanks.

Crossblades
09-13-2008, 08:36 PM
I always wanted to play this game. I'm trying to get back into the DQ games. I've played DQ I, II, and III in the past and they were very enjoyable. And I have just recently purchased DQ:Swords for the Wii, which is an ok game. Let me see how my budget is. If its good, I'll purchase it.

Nifleheim7
09-14-2008, 11:36 PM
If its half as good as VIII,its enough for me!:D
But with so many great games coming in Q4 i don't know when i'll have a chance to play it.

Bolivar
09-15-2008, 11:52 PM
apparently it's comin out tomorrow... i'm gonna have to wait a bit, but i'm sure i'll pick it up soon. I'm interested in what they did with the battle system, if it's just the same old first-person view with limited animation... it's been out long enough across the pacific, i should probably know this by now.

okay, so it is. But it still looks (and sounds) hella good, i think i'm gonna have to get this maybe sooner than later.

Karellen
09-16-2008, 02:19 AM
The animation is hardly limited. It's still first person but all enemy sprites are fully animated. Unlike VI and VII (and the original DQIV remake for that matter) enemies don't just stand around frozen in time when they're not doing anything, they'll bob up and down or flap their wings or whatever. The shear amount of animations isn't of DQVIII caliber (there is no separate animation for sleeping monsters, for instance) but it's the most animated a first person DQ game has ever been.

In any case, this game is pretty much everything you could want out of a DQIV remake. My only real issue with it is that they seem to have removed the party chat that was in the original Japanese version, which is a rather bizarre thing to do. Also the new prologue is kind of superfluous and the new sixth chapter isn't really on par with the original 5 quality wise.

theundeadhero
09-16-2008, 09:03 PM
I'll stick with my original NES copy.

Bolivar
09-16-2008, 11:19 PM
The animation is hardly limited. It's still first person but all enemy sprites are fully animated. Unlike VI and VII (and the original DQIV remake for that matter) enemies don't just stand around frozen in time when they're not doing anything, they'll bob up and down or flap their wings or whatever. The shear amount of animations isn't of DQVIII caliber (there is no separate animation for sleeping monsters, for instance) but it's the most animated a first person DQ game has ever been.

In any case, this game is pretty much everything you could want out of a DQIV remake. My only real issue with it is that they seem to have removed the party chat that was in the original Japanese version, which is a rather bizarre thing to do. Also the new prologue is kind of superfluous and the new sixth chapter isn't really on par with the original 5 quality wise.

Oh, I meant the battle animations - such as a slash over an enemy to resemble a sword strike, or a POW emblem... but yeah, it is very well done, and about as good as you could want it for traditional DQ gameplay.

Flying Mullet
09-22-2008, 02:23 PM
Yet another reason to pick up a DS.

Roogle
09-22-2008, 06:31 PM
Well, this game is on my list of games to get. I am excited about the new translation, yet disappointed by the fact that the North American release lacks party chat, an option in the menu that allows your party to talk to one another.

Flying Mullet
09-22-2008, 06:37 PM
Why would you want to chat with them? You're the boss and they need to do what you tell them. None of this backtalk and second guessing from them.

theundeadhero
09-22-2008, 08:33 PM
It's always good to know what you're minions think.

Bolivar
09-23-2008, 02:38 AM
^ it also helped in VIII to know what the hell was going on, especially if you pick the game up after putting it down for about a 1 year and a half (like me).

So has anyone gotten it? What's the news?

erikramza
09-24-2008, 09:33 AM
the best rpg expirence of my life was #7. Fuck that game was long. funny thing; i thought 8 was boring as hell.

Bolivar
10-02-2008, 07:18 PM
so....still no EoFF opinions on the game!?

Flying Mullet
10-02-2008, 07:35 PM
I was hoping to hear some opinions as well. xD

crazybayman
10-09-2008, 06:48 PM
HELLO

But on the original DQIV - unreal for an NES console game. Very in depth, excellent story, large world, loads of dungeons and locations, loads of weapons, armour and items for an original NES installment.

Dignified Pauper
10-19-2008, 11:15 PM
I am opinionated. I mean... I have an opinion. And it's on this game.

Brilliant really. Music was great, and while I hate the last chapter, mostly because the dungeon is really random, and the entire premise is stupid, the real game - the first five chapters - is pretty amazing. It's a solid remake, better than the PS version, and not to mention the story is very intact and enhanced. I mean, it's DQ. It's oldschool. It's nothing fancy, but what is there is a solid, nostalgic RPG experience that veterans will enjoy.

Bolivar
11-17-2008, 03:34 PM
^ After all this time, only having one review, kinda a shame on a site like this.

But I finally picked it up this weekend and I am more than extremely pleased. I really don't know where to begin, but I guess Dragon Quest has really come into its own, in my own personal tastes, in a way that I can get into it, in the last few years.

This game is very indicative of that. The visuals are beautiful, with you being able to rotate town maps and play it how you like it. In battles, the monsters move very nicely too.

The music on the DS is of very high quality, like FFIII, I'd really like to see what this is like through headphones. It's very pleasing to hear Sugiyama's music come through like this.

Overall this game is representative of why Dragon Quest is the standard bearer for Japanese RPG's. It's the total package of classic gameplay, high fantasy, lovely music, and memorable characters. I definately recommend it to any JRPG enthusiast and especially one with a Nintendo DS.

RedPouch
01-30-2009, 09:44 PM
I actually enjoyed the old NES game a lot more, but that's probably because I detest seeing Akira Toriyama's artwork so much [it didn't seem nearly as visually present in the NES games as it does now].

Del Murder
02-21-2009, 02:26 AM
I've played the original NES version, and it was my favorite until DQVIII. This remake captures all that was great in the original.

There are no class changes in this game, instead all characters are pre set to a class. I like this because it defines the characters better. I really loved the chapter system and I'm glad this stayed intact. I think this is the only RPG out there with that element done so thoroughly. It reminds me of the scenarios in FFVI which was a really fun part of that game.

There are still the grinding aspects like with all DQ games but it's not as bad as say, DQI. But there will be parts where you have to wander around leveling up before you can continue. That's my only beef with it but it is good to have a challenge after other stuff Square puts out these days.

My favorite party hasn't changed from the original. Hero, Torenko, Kiryl, Maya for wandering around, and replace Torenko for Ragnar for bosses.

Apparently there's some pretty cool extras to get once you beat it but I haven't got that far yet.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
02-21-2009, 05:09 AM
I went through the whole game without grinding. I think the balance was pretty much perfect, especially now that I have DQV to compare.

Del Murder
02-21-2009, 05:30 AM
Well I had to grind a bit before the fight where you get Ragnar, because Kiryl didn't have Kabuff yet. Man I love that spell.

So DQV is a grind fest?

Kawaii Ryűkishi
02-21-2009, 06:20 AM
No, it's not that bad. There's only been one part (at the very beginning) where I've really had to grind, in fact. But the difficulty of battles as you come to them isn't as perfect as in DQIV.