PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft employee fired for pointing out the obvious

Momiji
09-13-2008, 03:35 AM
Oh, the irony. (http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/689231/Microsoft_Employee_Fired_For_360_Expose.html?utm_source=g4tv&utm_medium=rssfeeds&utm_campaign=TheFeed)

According to Takahashi's report, Delaware helped unravel the following:

"Microsoft knew it had flawed machines, but it did not delay its launch because it believed the quality problems would subside over time. With each new machine, the company figured it would ride the “learning curve,” or continuously improve its production. Even though Microsoft’s leaders knew their quality wasn’t top notch, they did not ensure that resources were in place to handle returns and quickly debug bad consoles. There were plenty of warning signs, but the company chose to ignore them. The different parts of the business weren’t aligned."

Markus. D
09-13-2008, 04:10 AM
What's funny is I have one of these things... ._.

Coma
09-13-2008, 04:17 AM

That is funny.

Momiji
09-13-2008, 04:21 AM

That is funny.

What's funnier is that I just got my third free system replacement from them because the ones I have stop working so much.

DMKA
09-13-2008, 04:43 AM
And nothing of value was lost.

Coma
09-13-2008, 07:13 AM
And nothing of value was lost.
COMMENCING QUOTE PYRAMID CAPTAIN!

Mr. Chomps
09-13-2008, 08:08 AM
How come he got fired for saying something that everybody already knew?

:confused:

Mirage
09-13-2008, 02:17 PM
Because companies never admit to their errors.

Aerith's Knight
09-13-2008, 03:38 PM

That is funny.

What's funnier is that I just got my third free system replacement from them because the ones I have stop working so much.

Do you know that if you keep telling them with every new console that you bought them a few months ago, your warrancy will never expire. xD

Dreddz
09-13-2008, 03:51 PM
This guys job was to be on Microsoft's side at all times and fend off the backlash of RROD. By joining the haters he technically wasn't doing his job properly. So I can understand why he lost his job.

Moon Rabbits
09-13-2008, 06:34 PM
lol microsoft. I like how everyone complains about them and yet they still buy all their products ...

edit: Oh yeah:
Red Ring of Death (metal). (http://www.youtube.com/swf/l.swf?video_id=xq6vlyNdM3I&rel=1&eurl=&iurl=http%3A//i1.ytimg.com/vi/xq6vlyNdM3I/default.jpg&t=OEgsToPDskJmarFlvXoHmSf78QrYGuZU&use_get_video_info=1&load_modules=1&hl=)

Coma
09-14-2008, 12:06 AM
lol microsoft. I like how everyone complains about them and yet they still buy all their products ...

edit: Oh yeah:
Red Ring of Death (metal). (http://www.youtube.com/swf/l.swf?video_id=xq6vlyNdM3I&rel=1&eurl=&iurl=http%3A//i1.ytimg.com/vi/xq6vlyNdM3I/default.jpg&t=OEgsToPDskJmarFlvXoHmSf78QrYGuZU&use_get_video_info=1&load_modules=1&hl=)

I lold, so fucking hard.

Roto13
09-14-2008, 12:16 AM

That is funny.

Do you know that if you keep telling them with every new console that you bought them a few months ago, your warrancy will never expire. xD

Totally doesn't work like that. When you buy an Xbox, the warranty is automatically activated. They know when and where your Xbox was sold, they just don't know who bought it until you register it. When it's replaced, it keeps the same warranty you already had, with a minimum of 90 (or 30? I forget) days.

Aerith's Knight
09-14-2008, 12:25 AM

That is funny.

Totally doesn't work like that. When you buy an Xbox, the warranty is automatically activated. They know when and where your Xbox was sold, they just don't know who bought it until you register it. When it's replaced, it keeps the same warranty you already had, with a minimum of 90 (or 30? I forget) days.

You can say that all you want, but everytime you get an new xbox, and it breaks, they don't know when you bought it.

It's a new xbox, new product number, and therefore, a new buy date.

I've had 3 xboxes, and they've asked three times when I bought it, and all the other stuff, name, adress and such. Never once did they correct me. I just keep giving the dates I received those new consoles.

So unless you are really stupid and actually give your real buy date, you can keep doing it indefinitely.

But of course, you know better, right?

Momiji
09-14-2008, 12:27 AM

That is funny.

Then how come I've got 2 free replacements over this year? I got the first Xbox at Christmas last year and it's September now. :p

Roto13
09-14-2008, 12:28 AM
EDIT: The warranty was bumped up to three years. There are no Xboxes on the market right now that aren't covered.

That is funny.

You can say that all you want, but everytime you get an new xbox, and it breaks, they don't know when you bought it.

It's a new xbox, new product number, and therefore, a new buy date.

I've had 3 xboxes, and they've asked three times when I bought it, and all the other stuff, name, adress and such. Never once did they correct me. I just keep giving the dates I received those new consoles.

So unless you are really stupid and actually give your real buy date, you can keep doing it indefinitely.

But of course, you know better, right?

Yes, actually, I do know better, seeing as I worked for Xbox customer support for four months. :rolleyes2 They ask you when you bought your Xbox because it's easier to tell you to take it back to the store if it's brand new. Also because dead air equals a poor score if you're being monitored. It's small talk. They can see when you bought your Xbox by looking up the serial number.

Markus. D
09-14-2008, 12:30 AM

That is funny.

Then how come I've got 2 free replacements over this year? I got the first Xbox at Christmas last year and it's September now. :p

Are the elite type of xbox's a little more reliable? or is the Red Ring Inevitabibibarl? Oh! btw! I have no idea why I am fueling the quote pyramid :D! I haven't seen one in ages~

Momiji
09-14-2008, 12:34 AM

That is funny.

Are the elite type of xbox's a little more reliable? or is the Red Ring Inevitabibibarl? Oh! btw! I have no idea why I am fueling the quote pyramid :D! I haven't seen one in ages~

No, they fail just as hard as the Arcade ones. At least for me, dunno about anyone else.

Oddly enough, I've never been RRoD'd before-- it's always been an issue where the disc won't read, similar to the original PS2 Disc Read Errors.

Markus. D
09-14-2008, 01:08 AM

That is funny.

No, they fail just as hard as the Arcade ones. At least for me, dunno about anyone else.

Oddly enough, I've never been RRoD'd before-- it's always been an issue where the disc won't read, similar to the original PS2 Disc Read Errors.
Good lord. Stop. This is very not necessary. ~ Leeza
Ah! I see, the only issue I've only frozen once because I glitched GTAIV while in the middle of being arrested (xD...).

I hope I'll have a nice and long run with my first Xbox.

Aerith's Knight
09-14-2008, 01:25 AM
EDIT: The warranty was bumped up to three years. There are no Xboxes on the market right now that aren't covered.

Yes, actually, I do know better, seeing as I worked for Xbox customer support for four months. :rolleyes2 They ask you when you bought your Xbox because it's easier to tell you to take it back to the store if it's brand new. Also because dead air equals a poor score if you're being monitored. It's small talk. They can see when you bought your Xbox by looking up the serial number.

Then you must of course know that the serial number changes with a new xbox360?

Why would you ask if something is new when you can see all the data right there on the screen. Shouldn't they know the date already?

If it is the same xbox 360, then of course they know! But how would they if they give you a brand new one?

Roto13
09-14-2008, 01:31 AM

But people at the customer service of course magically know whether a new serial number is given or bought.

Seriously, you can try to get off on this, but facts don't lie, and I got one from the launch. So either they screw up a lot, or they can't check new serials, or both(more likely).

If it is the same xbox 360, then of course they know! But how would they if they give you a brand new one?

They don't give you a brand new one most of the time, they give you a refurbished one. Believe it or not, the repair center also has access to your account information. The one database keeps track of every Xbox sold and the warranty information attached to it. They know when they gave you a brand new one because THEY'RE THE ONES WHO GAVE IT TO YOU.

The thing is, as of right now, every Xbox 360 in the world is covered by the extended warranty (for the red ring) because it's a three year warranty and the Xbox 360 was launched in November of 2005.

Aerith's Knight
09-14-2008, 01:46 AM

But people at the customer service of course magically know whether a new serial number is given or bought.

Seriously, you can try to get off on this, but facts don't lie, and I got one from the launch. So either they screw up a lot, or they can't check new serials, or both(more likely).

They don't give you a brand new one most of the time, they give you a refurbished one. Believe it or not, the repair center also has access to your account information. The one database keeps track of every Xbox sold and the warranty information attached to it. They know when they gave you a brand new one because THEY'RE THE ONES WHO GAVE IT TO YOU.

The thing is, as of right now, every Xbox 360 in the world is covered by the extended warranty (for the red ring) because it's a three year warranty and the Xbox 360 was launched in November of 2005.

I actually got it in December, and I hope it breaks before then. I'd want to keep the thing working as long as possible when the warranty breaks down.

Roto13
09-14-2008, 01:49 AM
I don't think a lot of people have thought that far ahead. They're like "Oh, I'll get an Xbox and if it breaks I'll just send it back and get it replaced forever and ever and ever" but forever and ever and ever only lasts three years. I suppose one thing you could do would be to try to force it to overheat every couple of months.

Nominus Experse
09-21-2008, 01:03 AM
I feel as though I am traveling Giza with all these pyramids...

Microsoft has always been douche. Even still, I use some of their products. Thus, by extension, I am a douche.

The shame...

Cyric
09-28-2008, 11:03 PM
Now you know why XBox 360 is so cheap...PS3 FTW!

Madame Adequate
09-29-2008, 02:20 AM

Well http://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gif, I hate to think what the failure rate must be like on the Wii then.

Momiji
09-29-2008, 02:51 AM

Well http://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gif, I hate to think what the failure rate must be like on the Wii then.

Compared to my XBox 360, 0%. :p

erikramza
09-29-2008, 03:03 AM
games on x360 > other next gen console games.
it's worth the trouble, considering titles out.

Markus. D
09-29-2008, 03:14 AM
As long as I can play right through IU and Mirror's Edge before it explodes on me, I'm shweet :]!

Roto13
09-29-2008, 03:56 AM
I am so totally buying Mirror's Edge. It looks amazing.

TyphoonThaReapa
09-29-2008, 04:54 AM
games on x360 > other next gen console games.
it's worth the trouble, considering titles out.

You know guys, I can honestly understand why everyone has a Xbox-360. It has the best games out on it. I get that. But what I don't get is why you guys will take being treated like crap by these companies. Just buying the Xbox is proves that Microsoft can bitch slap you guys and still expect you guys to make it dinner. I wonder what the future holds...:rolleyes2

Madame Adequate
09-29-2008, 05:10 AM
I dunno. Extending the warranty to three years and costing themselves over $1bil in the process of putting the RRoD fiasco right seems to me like treating a customer okay. I mean sure, it'd be better if the things never broke, but they do - and MS are trying to fix the situation. I don't expect perfection, I expect a reasonable response when things go wrong, and in my eyes MS did that.

TyphoonThaReapa
09-29-2008, 05:17 AM
I dunno. Extending the warranty to three years and costing themselves over $1bil in the process of putting the RRoD fiasco right seems to me like treating a customer okay. I mean sure, it'd be better if the things never broke, but they do - and MS are trying to fix the situation. I don't expect perfection, I expect a reasonable response when things go wrong, and in my eyes MS did that.

That's besides the point. The point of this thread is to show that MS knew about the problems before hand and still did nothing to take measures to prevent them. But yeah, I REALLY want to promote a company that releases a broken console purposely. The futures looking brighter and brighter...:rolleyes2

Serapy
09-29-2008, 05:27 AM
He got fired for pointing out the obvious? That's a bit like dishonesty to me.

TyphoonThaReapa, I don't have a 360. There are quite many "promising" games coming to PS3 eventually. Look at PS3's release titles on ign.com.

Roto13
09-29-2008, 06:04 AM

Ask me to tell you some stories of real customers getting shat on by Microsoft. Go on, ask me.

TyphoonThaReapa
09-29-2008, 06:26 AM
He got fired for pointing out the obvious? That's a bit like dishonesty to me.

TyphoonThaReapa, I don't have a 360. There are quite many "promising" games coming to PS3 eventually. Look at PS3's release titles on ign.com.

I have a PS3 as well and I know what to expect from it in the long term. That's the whole point of me buying a PS3. But MS showed no patients whatsoever and suitable causes created suitable effects. Meaning, the anxiousness to progress to the next generation cause their product to experience last generation problems. What's worse, they knew this would happen before hand and did nothing. And what more worse, the people are still buying this crap. What I'm trying to say is that if you REALLY care about not only the quantity but the quality of this industry, we shouldn't be putting up with half assed consoles and the creators that knowing about their mistakes and still releasing them without second thought. We're basically giving them good reason to give us crap and not care about what we want and need from the Video Game Industry. And if we continue this, I wouldn't be surprised if the next consoles have similar or worse problems...

Madame Adequate
09-29-2008, 02:27 PM

Ask me to tell you some stories of real customers getting shat on by Microsoft. Go on, ask me.

Why? I know it happens. But it hasn't happened to me. When my 360 broke MS's response was prompt, efficient, and courteous. I was treated in a manner which I expected - indeed exceeded my expectations, as the repairs took half as long as I expected. And I'm going to base my position off how I've been treated.

Jiro
09-29-2008, 03:27 PM

Why? I know it happens. But it hasn't happened to me. When my 360 broke MS's response was prompt, efficient, and courteous. I was treated in a manner which I expected - indeed exceeded my expectations, as the repairs took half as long as I expected. And I'm going to base my position off how I've been treated.

The first time mine broke (haha) we got a rude jerk on the phone. But we did away with him and talked to the manager, who was super awesome and sent me a free game.

The other time it broke (haha) the person was nice and helpful. And my 360 arrived two weeks earlier than expected, so that was neato.

I'm sure there are some customers that get massively shat on, like by an elephant or something :p. But I was treated pretty well.

I don't think MS should have released the console with known faults though, so that irks me. But whatever, my 360 works and I know what broke it. :D

Depression Moon
09-29-2008, 03:44 PM
This is another reason why I dislike Miscrosoft. The Xbox shouldn't even exist in the first place when they're already making money off of PCs and PC games. In addition to that they copy others in the market and disclude people who speak out the devious truth behind the company.

Zeldy
09-29-2008, 05:10 PM
My brother's first 360 broke, he sent off for it to be fixed and it took so long he bought another. The good thing is, I'm now getting his spare 360.

I Took the Red Pill
09-29-2008, 05:19 PM
Ask me to tell you some stories of real customers getting shat on by Microsoft. Go on, ask me.Tell me some stories of real customers getting shat on by Microsoft.

Roto13
09-29-2008, 05:38 PM
Ask me to tell you some stories of real customers getting shat on by Microsoft. Go on, ask me.Tell me some stories of real customers getting shat on by Microsoft.

Well here's one. Some Xbox 360 consoles scratch discs. Microsoft knows this, and they acknowledged it at first. But after a while they decided they didn't want to replace the scratched games any more and took the official position that it just never happens. If a disc gets scratched, it's because the owner moved it during play.

Microsoft knows this is a load of crap because if an Xbox gets sent to the repair center for doing this, it gets repaired. Hell, when I was in training, one of the Xboxes we were using started scratching the hell out of discs.

Microsoft will only acknowledge a problem if happens frequently enough for them to not be able to deny it.

Momiji
09-29-2008, 05:49 PM

Any stories of how it just refuses to read discs?

That's happened to me three times now, and I'm on my fourth console now. :p

Vyk
10-02-2008, 04:08 AM
This is another reason why I dislike Miscrosoft. The Xbox shouldn't even exist in the first place when they're already making money off of PCs and PC games. In addition to that they copy others in the market and disclude people who speak out the devious truth behind the company.

Sony always made plenty of cash off of TVs, stereos, and such. Does that mean the Playstation shouldn't exist? That's actually how I felt when it first came out. If that were the case Nintendo would be the only company on the market right now. Ironically its their fault the Playstation does exist..

None of the companies are doing everything right though so I can't really complain much about Microsoft. I got my product. It works. No biggy

Roto13
10-02-2008, 04:21 AM
Sony always made plenty of cash off of TVs, stereos, and such. Does that mean the Playstation shouldn't exist? That's actually how I felt when it first came out. If that were the case Nintendo would be the only company on the market right now.

Sega would probably still be making consoles. :P

Iceglow
10-03-2008, 11:06 PM
First post in a while, been busy but I think this deserves to be said...

Every console manufacturer out there produces their console with the cheapest possible parts and the lowest bidding factory out there. I used to repair PS2 consoles I still do mine occassionally when it gets buggy the crap I seen in those consoles, the chipsets looked cheaper than the ones I found in a 1995 dell computer, seriously... Consoles are made to ensure maximum profit for the manufacturer.

Were the xbox and xbox 360 not to exist due to microsoft's domination of the PC software market there probably wouldn't be a ps3...lets face it nothing nintendo produced hardware wise for several years now even approaches the ps2 for power. The Wii claims it but looking at the graphics and comparing them to the PS2 I'd say "barely scraping up on some of it" Never have I seen a Wii produce graphics equal to the cutscenes of FFX and FFXII not even during a cutscene. Xbox challenged and in many ways exceeded the PS2 for console power, the entire 3rd gen console war exists because Microsoft entered the market. Not to mention if Depression Moon's opinions were reality neither would the Playstation series exist as they for years have dominated the headphone, audio players and in later years TV and DVD player markets. Sega very possibly could be producing consoles alongside Nintendo because it was Sony's PS2 which spelled the end of the Sega line the Xbox merely shovelled the last foot of dirt on top of the coffin and turfed it over again. Gaming essentially would have ground to a halt console wise with the dream cast and game cube/n64 well done the death of gaming.

Now as to the Red Ring of Death and MS knowing about it, the Playstation series has been plagued with overheating since it's creation too, in fact there were several attempts to fix this I've seen the evidence of it when I've ripped the guts out of playstations and playstation 2's to fix them.

Of the PS1 console there were 11 including the mini "PSone" console, common faults were overheat, tray lid issues and power supply. Overheating was due to the depth of the console and the lack of a fan or even a decent heat sink the dream cast suffered this also (they had coolant pads installed in them hence the DC suffered horrendously in their old age from overheat because the pads would dessicate under frequent use thats if the sound and graphics chipsets lasted long enough to wear out the coolant system) The tray issue was simple, the PS1 laser engaged by means of a small button depressed by a peg on the lid without the button fully depressed no play, the peg unfortunately was plastic not metal and over time wore down so that it failed to do this properly this was fixed by either gluing the button in or by applying pressure to the top surface of the console pressing on the lid with heavy books, this in turn could cause your console to overheat faster and also to scratch the disc horrendously. The power supply burnt out frequently the best attempt to fix these issues by Sony were the introduction of the external power supply pack on the PSone. It was ok but introduced 2 pins to the lid of the tray both of which had to engage perfectly for the laser to read properly... DOH!

Of the PS2 there were last I checked around 8 or 9 series of them the insides of these varied wildly the tray mountings, power supply boards, chips everything changed it was a nightmare. However the powersupply issue was still not satisfactory in it's fixing and once more they'd gone back to internal supply boards meaning if one of those burnt out it'd blow the consoles other boards too. The disc trays would jarr and jam regulary and worst of all the laser would "lose synchronisation" often for either just dvd or cd but sometimes for both. Theres around 70 different laser settings 1 will enable both dvd and cd play the only way to re-tune the laser is to move a small white cog one click at a time test and repeat until it is found. It was never solved afaik.

As for the PS3 they get hotter than an oven I've seen people fry bacon on their ps3 by lifting the plastic shell casing off the sealed internal components. How hot do you want your console to go that hot that it can fry your breakfast, what if that were to be carelessly up against paper or clothes? it could possibly set fire to your house! Also would Sony please stop dicking around with the hardware, either they're keeping the backwards compatability (which no matter what you do makes ps2 games look crap too from what I've seen even nice ones like FFX) or they aren't not to mention the hdd ect also may I ask why they stupidly announce on release day for the 80gb console that they're doing a bigger one for the same money within a year...imbeciles we shifted less than 10 that day thanks to that! (I work for HMV)

On the contrary Microsoft's entries of the Xbox and 360 have also had issues, the Xbox would randomly need a service by microsoft, this was something me and a friend tried to avoid but the Xbox was half empty casing half a metal box with the console inside, without the big ass shell supporting the 4 ports and on button an Xbox actually could have sat in a shell roughly the size of a ps2.

The 360 has it's fated ring of death and the scratching issue which I've seen on every console from the sega saturn upwards it happens was very common with the ps2 because the laser would often become lifted from it's runners or they'd lose lubrication and it'd become stiff.

I've not mentioned the Wii my friend has one, he had one before this overheating with a thing that size is an issue also my opinion is that in natural use the first thing to break is going to be the wii remote because it relies on weights hitting micro-switches to detect movement once a micro-switch breaks it's done for good and you need a new remote.

Overall getting back on topic, pretty much every console ever released in the history of gaming has issues as does pretty much every version of windows released (I ignore mac users and linux in this because the vast majority of games are not natively compatable with either os) XP hated old games such as Fallout with a blind passion even with all compatability modes on. Vista actually in that regard is slightly better but we're not talking computers we're talking consoles. Flaws are an inherent issue in the days of tape or cartridge gaming the problems were often things like; contacts scratching/wearing away, batteries inside games keeping data storage facilities alive (if I recall correctly they worked similar to the bios chip in a computer on a battery powered storage ram chip) meaning games would become unsavable ect ect now the issues are from discs scratching and the lasers losing their tuning or trays jamming. What I get at with this is that gaming has never really changed all consoles have had and will have issues. The best warranty service I ever heard off even Sony accept cost them too much to warrant doing it on the ps2 or 3 which was no matter how old your ps1 was they'd free of charge replace it with a reconditioned ps1 and fix yours up in a trade the console around thing. The ps2 cost £70 to send to Sony (though they always accepted them and never once queried the damage even if a PS2 was missing half of it's insides canabalized to repair another PS2) and get replaced I don't even know if they offer that service to the ps3 users out there.

End of day Xbox Live is a better more stable server system and I'm willing to pay the £39.99 a year (actually I'll be getting that for like -30% once my discount card comes through :P) for Xbox Live Gold membership and the Xbox itself has many great titles out there many of them unique to that format and many underrated titles too like Too Human (the game is fun to play :D) are uniquely on the 360. The PS3 on the other hand offers Ratchet and Clank and MGS4 as it's main temptations for unique titles and I'm sorry but however much I loved MGS 1 - 3 I will not pay £300 for a console to finish the story, I'd rather wait until a friend has a desire to loan me their ps3 and let me complete it or just give me access to it.

Microsoft have enhanced their warranty and I'm pretty damn sure if the Red Ring of Death is still a common problem when the 3 years is up they will rescind the 3 years and move to 5 or 6 even though the Xbox 360's successor is in development. It seems Microsoft underestimated their launch popularity possibly because of their experience with the less than riotous Xbox launch it seems however that the company has learnt from experience and is now making an effort to minimize the consumer damage it suffers from this.

Final words on the matter: No console is perfect they all have flaws and yeah so some idiot at microsoft got sacked for saying that MS knew they'd suffer issues? I bet if some idiot at Sony said "hey the PS3 has heat issues and Sony knows it!" they'd get fired too. he essentially slammed his employer completely and publicly when he's paid however many thousand dollars a year to back them up? It was gross misconduct and I'd have sacked him too he thoroughly earnt his dismissal and thats all there is to it. If you were to go on the news tomorrow and say "my employer smurfed up big time and guess what, they knew it would happen!" you'd get sacked for gross misconduct too even if you only worked for Walmart so why is this suddenly any different?

Roto13
10-03-2008, 11:38 PM
lets face it nothing nintendo produced hardware wise for several years now even approaches the ps2 for power. The Wii claims it but looking at the graphics and comparing them to the PS2 I'd say "barely scraping up on some of it" Never have I seen a Wii produce graphics equal to the cutscenes of FFX and FFXII not even during a cutscene.

Oh please.

Depression Moon
10-04-2008, 03:54 PM

Sony always made plenty of cash off of TVs, stereos, and such. Does that mean the Playstation shouldn't exist? That's actually how I felt when it first came out. If that were the case Nintendo would be the only company on the market right now. Ironically its their fault the Playstation does exist..

That's actually different since PC's are like consoles of their own and TVs and stereos don't play games.

Madame Adequate
10-04-2008, 06:59 PM
Iceglow closed the thread imo.

Ouch!
10-05-2008, 05:47 AM
For those interested, there's actually a defect in the Wii (although apparently uncommon) that requires a replacement for the motherboard. It manifests in an inability to connect to certain channels online (the Nintendo representative told me that, left unchecked, it will ultimately evolve into a deterioration of other functions). Nintendo fixed it all for free for me, even though it was out of warranty.

But yeah, point is, the Red Ring of Death sucks, but the competition isn't perfect and at least Microsoft has a good track record with taking care of it. I agree with everything Iceglow said.

bipper
10-05-2008, 06:16 AM
lets face it nothing nintendo produced hardware wise for several years now even approaches the ps2 for power. The Wii claims it but looking at the graphics and comparing them to the PS2 I'd say "barely scraping up on some of it" Never have I seen a Wii produce graphics equal to the cutscenes of FFX and FFXII not even during a cutscene.

Oh please.

I gotta second this.

I think everything you said was golden, but the Wii's hardware is certainly capable of outproducing the PS2. And if by cut scenes, you mean the FMVs, well, they take nill resourcess. About as much as a basic dvd player as a matter of fact. I do agree that it just really has not had that passionate game company push it, but games are about profit and wallstreet now, the passion of Squaresoft and other producers is just gone.

When I began with game design courses and seeing just what the software did, I nearly puked, and gave up on that. The bloatware invested in a game is amazing. Little to say, this is how a vast majority of games are produced now adays (grab maya for cool cut scense, 3d studio max and some third rate scritps, and blah blahb) it has become more cookie cutter, ergo, the attention to detail and perfection has just kinda... died off. Square has done a decent job in maintaining the perfection side on some of their games, but not all.

That all aside, nintendo is really not in the niche to attempt to out perform these other systems. They are in the niche of reinventing the power glove, and calling it new. They do not need top notch graphics, and dedicate more to the overall game experience.

I would like to see something push the limits on the wii, since I do believe it could show the PS2 up.

I on the other hand, do not even own any third generation systems. The whole video game and flame industry has just dissipated my interest nearly entirely.

Fonzie
10-05-2008, 06:56 AM
Iceglow closed the thread imo.

This.

Bolivar
10-05-2008, 06:57 AM
Iceglow, that's a crazy post, you get mad points for that one. Is it true what you said about the Wii overheating though, one of my roommates recently told me that I can leave his on for however long I want, since it apparently uses less energy than some x-watt light bulb...

Iceglow
10-05-2008, 01:15 PM
All consoles overheat if left on long enough as do all computers or most thing electrical the overheat my friend got was pretty bad, in fact it killed his Wii which is why he has a second one. Still nintendo sent him the second wii for free as it was well within warranty my friend had apparently forgotten to turn his off properly and went work for the day came home after 12 hours of being out to his console smelling like burnt plastic and dust and well and truly dead. Perhaps a rare flaw but it's not like Nintendo will admit it or if they do it'll be subtle in it's announcement the fact the 360 can overheat was kinda announced quietly by the release of the extra cooling system which can clip on to it, companies never admit they've got problems with their product it's bad for sales.

Roto13
10-05-2008, 05:37 PM
You can tell the Wii and PS3 don't have any major issues just by paying attention to what people are saying. If a third of all PS3s or Wiis were dying prematurely, people would be talking about it everywhere.

Pretty much every electronic device in the world has a chance of being a dud. A few failures are to be expected. People get pissed when it starts happening too often, though.

Bolivar
10-07-2008, 03:35 AM
All consoles overheat if left on long enough as do all computers or most thing electrical the overheat my friend got was pretty bad, in fact it killed his Wii which is why he has a second one. Still nintendo sent him the second wii for free as it was well within warranty my friend had apparently forgotten to turn his off properly and went work for the day came home after 12 hours of being out to his console smelling like burnt plastic and dust and well and truly dead. Perhaps a rare flaw but it's not like Nintendo will admit it or if they do it'll be subtle in it's announcement the fact the 360 can overheat was kinda announced quietly by the release of the extra cooling system which can clip on to it, companies never admit they've got problems with their product it's bad for sales.

got it, thanks

Quindiana Jones
10-08-2008, 08:47 PM
I'd probably get fired too if I told a large number of people that getting a Burtons/Topshop/Topman/Dorothy Perkins/Wallis/St. Yves/Bhs/Outfit Account Card is a http://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gif idea. Fair shout, I'd say.

Roto13
10-08-2008, 08:59 PM
Perhaps a rare flaw but it's not like Nintendo will admit it or if they do it'll be subtle in it's announcement the fact the 360 can overheat was kinda announced quietly by the release of the extra cooling system which can clip on to it,

The 360 intercooler is a 3rd party unlicensed product. And the early ones used to leave scorch marks on the 360 (voiding the warranty) and in the worst cases they even caught fire.