PDA

View Full Version : my internet is freaking out on me

Craig
09-14-2008, 06:28 PM
my internet just started randomly not working the other day, every now and again it'd just like cut out for a min or 2 and then come back after a while, or if i unplugged my router and modem for a second, which is very annoying cos its still doing it.

thats just like being on msn and browsing the net when it does that, but if i'm playing world of warcraft it does it like every minute which is 10x worse. so i get the feeling that if my comp is using more power by running the game it's maybe making it happen quicker?

edit: i believe i just confirmed my theory as i turned on limewire to download some stuff and 5 seconds later my internet was off

any ideas?

Spatvark
09-14-2008, 06:38 PM
You wouldn't happen to be on NTL/Virgin would you? The same thing's happened to me a fair few times.

Craig
09-14-2008, 06:39 PM
i can't remember now, but did it go away on it's own or did you have to fix it?

Spatvark
09-14-2008, 06:48 PM
Typically, I attribute such problems to my crappy router, since it has a history of messing about with my connection, but if the same thing's happening to other people on the same ISP... We're both in the SW of England, so it's plausible it's a wonky power center that's the cause of the problems, if you are indeed on NTL/Virgin. Or they could be completely unrelated, who knows?

Rostum
09-14-2008, 11:09 PM
Either your router/modem is screwed up, or the line going from the exchange to your house is getting cut off. Either that or your ISP is playing funny buggers with you.

I had the same problem, found out that the telecom half-arsed putting the line from the exchange to my house. Instead of it being six feet under the ground and protected, it was exposed and laying over the garden, and the junction which it connected it to was cracked and had duct tape to try and hold it together.

Needless to say, we've absued the crap out of the telecom and are going to threaten legal action if they don't do anything (it's highly illegal).

Anyway, maybe check that out. I had the same problem as you and that is the reason, however yours could still be totally different as the problem is very vague.