PDA

View Full Version : The Force Unleashed

Coma
09-16-2008, 11:52 PM
Anyone else get it? What system did you get it on? I just finished level one. Its pretty cool. I'm mostly interested in new canon, but the game is damn fun. Its a brawler where you do ultra cruel things.

Dreddz
09-17-2008, 12:08 AM
I played the demo and didn't like it very much. Messing around with your force powers is only appealing for so long. Plus there didn't even seem to be many ways to utilize them. They gave the impression this game was so much more than it really was. But all you really do is shoot lightening and throw people about. Meh.

Also, if your going to make a Star Wars game the first thing to nail is the lightsaber action. I'm not even a Star Wars fan and I personally think I speak on behalf of most people when I say that. They put all the attention into the force powers and made the lightsaber stuff very sloppy in my opinion. Hopefully future games can take notice of what I've just said. Then maybe I'll actually buy a Star Wars game.

Elly
09-17-2008, 01:20 AM
picked it up today for PSP, i'm playing it and reading the novel at the same time, the new canon is nice so far and i already had one WTF moment just during the beginig where you play as Vader... it controls fairly well but sadly is victim of Evil Camera Syndrome which can make some of the platform jumping elements a bit of a pain... despite these few flaws though the game is fun and entertaining so far and i lost 3 hours playing, where did they go, oh i remember they went to hunt Jedi...

Apocalypse.Origin
09-18-2008, 05:45 PM
I picked it up yesterday, for 360. Haven't started it yet though. Finishing up another game today.

Roto13
09-18-2008, 06:07 PM
I played the demo just now. It's not bad. Force blasting through doors is satisfying. :P I can't see myself buying it, but I might give it a rental.

Quindiana Jones
09-18-2008, 06:13 PM
As soon as I get paid, this game is mine. It's the only game on 360 so far that I will pay full price for. I can't wait to start torturing people. :D

PhoenixAsh
09-18-2008, 08:44 PM
I've only seen a video of it... am I the only person who hates the way the main character holds his lightsaber?

Elly
09-18-2008, 09:46 PM
i'm not sure of which video you speak of but he holds it like any other Jedi/Sith, i haven't seen him hold it ingame like he does in the cover art yet... actualy i would prefer it because it would show another lightsaber weilding dicipline we haven't seen yet... though Starkiller is more into using his powers over his saber...

LunarWeaver
09-18-2008, 09:48 PM
I like the way he holds his lightsaber :jess: I think it's cute. I will rent this game eventually, but I must admit mediocre reviews deterred me a bit. I know, I pay attention to reviews, I suck! But they are saying even at 9 hours it's repetitive and you want it to end, not to mention fairly full of bugs. Oh well. I did enjoy the demo well enough. Now if only he would dry-cough-cackle while shocking things like the Emperor.

Croyles
09-18-2008, 09:53 PM
Jedi Knight 2 STILL plays better than this imo (I tried it at a friends house).
Ive never been a star wars fan, so it doesnt appeal to me.

Old Manus
09-18-2008, 09:58 PM
Battlefront remains the greatest Star Wars game known the man.

darkchrono
09-19-2008, 05:00 AM
It looks like the reviews are saying that the game has a much better story than gameplay. So if you are mostly just interested in the story it should be a good deal for you. While at the same time if you are more interested in the gameplay you might want to look elsewhere.

Markus. D
09-19-2008, 02:07 PM
Never really been into the wide-realm of Starwars.

Especially since Yoda appeared in SCIV and put me right off it.

Coma
09-19-2008, 03:18 PM
I beat it. And tbh, I'm satisfied. It was thrilling. I pulled a Star Destroyer out of fucking orbit. That's bad-ass. And the plot does a fantastic job filling the gap between episodes III and IV. The game play is good. Its not OMFG AMAZING, but its not mediocre either. I always wonder if reviewers ever strung together some combos, or spammed Sith Smash the entire game. I prolly won't play it again for quite some time (once I max my character), but it was a blast while it lasted.

Dreddz
09-19-2008, 07:27 PM
I've only seen a video of it... am I the only person who hates the way the main character holds his lightsaber?
I think the developers wanted the character to seem cool so they made him hold his lightsaber backwards. Its retarded.

darkchrono
09-19-2008, 10:36 PM
I beat it. And tbh, I'm satisfied. It was thrilling. I pulled a Star Destroyer out of smurfing orbit. That's bad-ass. And the plot does a fantastic job filling the gap between episodes III and IV. The game play is good. Its not OMFG AMAZING, but its not mediocre either. I always wonder if reviewers ever strung together some combos, or spammed Sith Smash the entire game. I prolly won't play it again for quite some time (once I max my character), but it was a blast while it lasted.

Now is the plot in these video games approved by Lucas himself or are these just lone ideas from the video game writers with no input at all from Lucas?

Coma
09-19-2008, 10:37 PM
I'm actually glad he held it like that. Later in the game you see a few more unorthodox lightsaber disciplines, which is nice. LOL SWORD was getting a little bland.

LunarWeaver
09-19-2008, 10:41 PM
Isn't pretty much the whole Star Wars universe based around what looks cool and not what is logical.

I'm glad to hear you enjoyed it Coma :jess: It's encouraging.

Coma
09-19-2008, 10:43 PM
I beat it. And tbh, I'm satisfied. It was thrilling. I pulled a Star Destroyer out of smurfing orbit. That's bad-ass. And the plot does a fantastic job filling the gap between episodes III and IV. The game play is good. Its not OMFG AMAZING, but its not mediocre either. I always wonder if reviewers ever strung together some combos, or spammed Sith Smash the entire game. I prolly won't play it again for quite some time (once I max my character), but it was a blast while it lasted.

Now is the plot in these video games approved by Lucas himself or are these just lone ideas from the video game writers with no input at all from Lucas?

The plot is approved. This is official canon. And it significantly fleshes out a relatively unknown period.

XxSephirothxX
09-20-2008, 09:27 AM
This will go down in history as another in the long line of Star Wars games that don't live up to their potential.

I would've literally thrown money at Lucasarts if this game had been great, but between the demo being fairly ho-hum and everything written about it indicating the full thing is no better, I gotta pass.

BG-57
09-28-2008, 01:56 AM
I have a weakness for protagonists who are physically skilled but psychologically vunerable. So I like that aspect of the Apprentice. I also like Juno Eclipse, although when I saw the trailers I thought she had 'tragic death scene' written all over her.

Madame Adequate
09-28-2008, 02:16 AM
This will go down in history as another in the long line of Star Wars games that don't live up to their potential.

I would've literally thrown money at Lucasarts if this game had been great, but between the demo being fairly ho-hum and everything written about it indicating the full thing is no better, I gotta pass.

Seriously. Though the situation now is much better than the long, barren years after TIE Fighter, high quality SW games like Battlefront and KOTOR are still too few and far between.

Then again, anyone who remembers Masters of Teras Kasi will be very thankful for a mediocre SW. :p

Elly
09-28-2008, 03:36 AM
aaah, i remember Teras Kasi, i still have it even, the fun times we had with that one, i just couldn't pass up the chance to use Mara Jade in a fighting game, unfortunately most of her movesets were identical to Luke's, and it responded pretty poorly not as bad as Tekken but poorly...

Ishin Ookami
09-29-2008, 06:15 PM

Rubbish.

The game is insanely fun. I'd score it a 85%. Force grabbing enemies, holding them over an abyss, and then letting go never gets old. And force grabbing Tie-fighters in mid flight is awesome.

The majority of critics bashing the game are either idiots that have no gaming skill, irate fanboys that are still vexed lucas batted a 1/3 on the prequal trilogy, or websites that have no time for anything not associated with the major gaming names like mario or metal gear.

The only flaws I can see after 2 1/2 playthroughs are a wonky camera, and the targetting mechanic for the force grab is unreliable at times. otherwise I'd place this above any of the Jedi Knight games or even KOTOR.

Edit: I also can't believe there are some here bashing the game after playing the demo. I never forge an opinion I have on a game based off demos because they are always half finished test-runs of what the final game will be. Even the demos for big name titles have often failed to impress me.

Slothy
09-30-2008, 01:43 AM
I got it for the PS3 almost a week ago. Though it's flaws are few, they impact the gameplay negatively in a big way. That said, every time I come close to yelling in frustration, I get to decimate a large group of storm troopers, cut an AT-ST in half, or pull a star destroyer out of orbit. For all it's faults, it's fun most of the time, and satiates a desire to inflict random acts of brutality on enemy characters in ways few games have ever managed, and for those reasons, I like it. It may not be perfect, but it's fun, and I would love to see them do another game so they could work on fixing some of the flaws and making the force powers even more bad ass.

Madame Adequate
09-30-2008, 02:46 AM
Edit: I also can't believe there are some here bashing the game after playing the demo. I never forge an opinion I have on a game based off demos because they are always half finished test-runs of what the final game will be. Even the demos for big name titles have often failed to impress me.

I have to say, I don't think it's unreasonable to base one's opinion of a game off of the exact thing publishers use to help people form an opinion of a game.

Elly
09-30-2008, 10:59 AM
a demo is only supposed to get you used to the ideas behind the game... i remember playing the demo for Devil May Cry before it came out finished and when i got the finished version the controls were so completely different from the demo, i had to relearn the button mappings, not to mention a lot of gameplay elements were missing from the demo that were in the final version that really amped up the fun factor from the demo version... so, i believe it is totaly unfair to judge a game on a demo when a demo is technicaly an unfinished work in progress... a lot can change between demo and final release...

erikramza
09-30-2008, 11:02 AM
I watched Big Ogre Umaro (http://forums.eyesonff.com/members/big%2Bogre%2Bumaro.html) play the game. he held a storm trooper above the ground, and rose him up to where below his torso was still touching the ground, then made him headbutt his own head into the ground, which led to a very, very slow death.

laughter was prominent thought this ordeal.

DrDeath in Despair
10-03-2008, 12:37 PM
The demo is fun, but as far as I'll go.
The game it-self doesn't seem worth it.

Quindiana Jones
10-05-2008, 05:02 PM
Bought it. Completed it in a few hours on Easy. Going through again on Hard for poops and giggles.

The first level's the best, IMHO. It's way sexy with a maxed out character and in Easy difficulty.