PDA

View Full Version : Adventure Time!

Rye
09-17-2008, 02:07 AM
Not about the cartoon.

Huxley and I decided we'd take an adventure to a town about "20 minutes walking distance" from the hotel, because we thought it'd have like, cute shops and it'd be by a river or something sweet. We were planning on eating is a cute local eaterie or something. We got uh... distracted in the hotel, so we left later than expected. The road there was super narrow and dangerous to walk on, and it got dark really quickly, and it took us by surprise. So we kept walking because google maps deceived and told us it was right around the corner. 20 minutes later, we're still walking, and I'm scared out of my mind, hyperventilating and shaking because it was a hick area and I have an intense distrust for anything that's not proper suburban/urban (which probably confuses people because people are LIKE LOL WUT CITY = BAD, but most areas in cities are well lighted and full of people at all times, except for ultra ghetto areas which would be nearly as scary, except that there are better places and businesses to hide in and call a cab/cops in), because I have this terrible prejudice stereotype in my mind that anyone from a hick area is poor and crazy and will kill me while strumming on their banjo and yelling "SQUEAL LIKE A PIGGY" like in that movie.

/offends half of eoff

So I'm absolutely terrified everytime I see a car, because I'm convinced they're axe murders bent on killing me and hacking me, or someone in the car is aiming to shoot me, or someone was going to come out of the woods we were near. We ended up taking a wrong turn into a little subdivision, where this car stopped, and I was convinced it was an serial killer because I saw a sign that said "crime watchers" and was like AHHHH CRIME and nearly broke down in the middle of the street until Huxley had to get me to snap out of it, but it turned out to be some young business man. I was like "HUXLEY ASK HIM FOR DIRECTIONS PLEEEASEEEE" and Huxley just starts talking to him in some random middle-class (??? as Huxley describes it) English accent, which he has not done once this entire time, so it confused me, but it was because people here are charmed and enamored by a British accent.

Long story short, scariest moment of my life, we finally got to civilization - ie: a traffic light road with a rite-aid and dunkin' donuts, which is basically advanced civilization in smurfing Rhode Island, pretty much had a panic attack at Huxley yelling about how I couldn't trust anyone but him because everyone is scary and evil and has a secret murder agenda, and freaked out in Dunkin' Donuts and caused him to cut his head on a lamp. Then we got a taxi cab back, freaked out a bit in the hotel, and now here I am, safe and not crazy and having my back stroked by a Horxlee.

LOL OUR NIGHT.

---

For those with attention deficiency disorders, here is a summarized snippet of the general ramblings for you to ponder over - Huxley and I walked about about 2 miles along a dangerous tiny road in this scary wooded area in the dark and I had a panic attack. What's the scariest place you've ever walked alone/with a small group of people with at night?

Momiji
09-17-2008, 02:18 AM
I live in a rural area (about 20 minutes from the city, but still). Good to know that I'm a ghetto hick who is poor and ugly who plays the banjo. :kaoupset:

City people. :rolleyes2

Marshall Banana
09-17-2008, 02:25 AM
I'm a gonna getcha. :kaolove2:

DMKA
09-17-2008, 02:31 AM
Harbor City, CA at 3am when I ran away from home at age 13.

Scariest http://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gif ever.

rubah
09-17-2008, 02:36 AM
Definitely this 8) http://forums.eyesonff.com/general-chat/117625-whats-furthest-youve-ever-walked-foriegn-country-midnight.html

Akaria
09-17-2008, 02:39 AM
The U Lands ;___;

It's this huge agricultural area run by the University of Minnesota near my apartment. It used to be a munitions plant, so there are these random half torn down buildings everywhere, as well as big walls up in the middle of nowhere. There are also two sets of towers - one set has three and a half towers, the other has five. This (http://www.actionsquad.org/images/5towers.jpg) is what the towers looked like in operation. The building behind it was torn down however, with the towers still standing, and nobody really knows why the towers were left. Now it just looks like this. (http://www.geocities.com/rythking/5towclose.jpg) When you go there at night, all you see is the silhouetted towers against the sky, and they're about eight or nine stories tall...Just these random, menacing towers against the sky. Some abandoned buildings are still standing around the area, and while me and a couple friends were exploring around it, we came across signs that had been spray painted over, but you could still see the "Biohazard" warning symbol underneath it with some unclear words. I thought it was cool because I'm sickly interested in that kind of thing, but they got kinda freaked out. When we began hearing sounds from the area that weren't coming from us, we decided it was probably time to go. On the way back, we saw a combine with its lights on sitting in the middle of a field, not moving at all, with a silhouette of a person standing maybe 20 yards away from it. We could see his shoulders and head, so he was either facing us or the opposite direction, but we watched him for a few minutes and he never moved. It thoroughly freaked us out.

I love that place x_x

~*~Celes~*~
09-17-2008, 02:50 AM
*shivers @ Akaria's and Rye's stories* ;-;

I try my best to avoid scary places, but...

So far my scariest experience was interrogation via the Pregnant Immigrations Officer Lady. She pulled the Bad Cop when she was interrogating me, Good cop when she was talking to me normally (trying to help me find my suitcase, going through my carry on, telling me that I had 24 hours in the UK, etc), but...The day after I came home, I had to go to the doctor's because the night before I left, I felt like I had strep throat. It only got worse as I travelled (probably because the lady sitting behind me on the plane was coughing continuously for the 12 hour duration of the flight), and all I drank was tea (the flight attendant was really awesome, he was this British guy who smelled really good :D), but my throat didn't get any better.

ANYWAY BACK TO MY STORY. I went into the exam room in the doc's office and I kept thinking about the interrogation and how harsh and scary she was. The nurse turned to me and said "How old are you?" in a neutral voice. I tensed and about peed myself because all I could think about was the interrogation ;-;

Mom admitted to me that she tensed up too (She was in the exam room with me), and it turned out I had a very definite case of strep throat...So definite that it took the results half as long as usual to come back. Poor Alan complained of a sore throat to me the morning I went to the doctor...:monster:

For those with attention deficiency disorders, here is a summarized snippet of the general ramblings for you to ponder over -: Being interrogated by the pregnant British immigrations lady has been my scariest and most traumatizing experience EVUR. ;-;

Cookie
09-17-2008, 02:53 AM
The U Lands ;___;

It's this huge agricultural area run by the University of Minnesota near my apartment. It used to be a munitions plant, so there are these random half torn down buildings everywhere, as well as big walls up in the middle of nowhere. There are also two sets of towers - one set has three and a half towers, the other has five. This (http://www.actionsquad.org/images/5towers.jpg) is what the towers looked like in operation. The building behind it was torn down however, with the towers still standing, and nobody really knows why the towers were left. Now it just looks like this. (http://www.geocities.com/rythking/5towclose.jpg) When you go there at night, all you see is the silhouetted towers against the sky, and they're about eight or nine stories tall...Just these random, menacing towers against the sky. Some abandoned buildings are still standing around the area, and while me and a couple friends were exploring around it, we came across signs that had been spray painted over, but you could http://forums.eyesonff.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=2565416still see the "Biohazard" warning symbol underneath it with some unclear words. I thought it was cool because I'm sickly interested in that kind of thing, but they got kinda freaked out. When we began hearing sounds from the area that weren't coming from us, we decided it was probably time to go. On the way back, we saw a combine with its lights on sitting in the middle of a field, not moving at all, with a silhouette of a person standing maybe 20 yards away from it. We could see his shoulders and head, so he was either facing us or the opposite direction, but we watched him for a few minutes and he never moved. It thoroughly freaked us out.

I love that place x_x

Needs more posts like this. Almost creepypasta.

Yar
09-17-2008, 02:56 AM
I love it. Big city girl is terrified of rural areas.

Lots of people around here would be terrified to be in NYC alone.

DMKA
09-17-2008, 03:08 AM

lol

I grew up in Los Angeles then was transplanted to the middle of nowhere in Oklahoma. I'm still scared to go outside here at night, whereas I had no problem walking down the street of Norwalk at the wee hours of morning. Lawl.

Momiji
09-17-2008, 03:14 AM

lol

I grew up in Los Angeles then was transplanted to the middle of nowhere in Oklahoma. I'm still scared to go outside here at night, whereas I had no problem walking down the street of Norwalk at the wee hours of morning. Lawl.

Opposite for me. I've lived in the same small town all my life, about 15-20 minutes from the second largest city in Indiana. I would have no problem walking around outside here at any time of day, but I'd be on guard in the city, especially in the high crime area. There's been a lot of shootings recently too.

I still call where I live 'rural' though, since the community right outside of this town is Amish-- horse-drawn buggies, black clothes, horse droppings on the road, the whole deal. Fucking horses ruin the roads with their hooves too.

DMKA
09-17-2008, 03:18 AM

lol

Opposite for me. I've lived in the same small town all my life, about 15-20 minutes from the second largest city in Indiana. I would have no problem walking around outside here at any time of day, but I'd be on guard in the city, especially in the high crime area. There's been a lot of shootings recently too.

I still call where I live 'rural' though, since the community right outside of this town is Amish-- horse-drawn buggies, black clothes, horse droppings on the road, the whole deal. smurfing horses ruin the roads with their hooves too.

That's because kids who grew up in rural areas are paranoid of fucking everything. Here in the south anyway.

Roto13
09-17-2008, 03:19 AM
You're all pussies. :P

Yar
09-17-2008, 03:21 AM
That's because kids who grew up in rural areas are paranoid of smurfing everything. Here in the south anyway.

I guess I'm lucky. I live in a rural area, but I have spent enough time in Columbus and Nashville to not be afraid of city life. (I prefer it, actually.)

DMKA
09-17-2008, 03:23 AM
lol, Columbus isn't south. For some reason kids who grow up in the rural north aren't nearly as xenophobic, racist, and overall paranoid as kids who grow up in the rural south. I don't really get it.

Yar
09-17-2008, 03:27 AM
lol, Columbus isn't south.

Duh. :rolleyes2 I'm just lucky to have spent lots of time there.

I always hate travelling to the south, though. The people are nice to me, but maybe it's just 'cause I'm white. I'm always ready to go home when I'm down south.

Marshall Banana
09-17-2008, 03:33 AM
lol, Columbus isn't south. For some reason kids who grow up in the rural north aren't nearly as xenophobic, racist, and overall paranoid as kids who grow up in the rural south. I don't really get it.
Don't want none goin' to Apeyard. :kaofight2:

Ouch!
09-17-2008, 03:37 AM
I'm scared to walk one mile from Coconut Grove back to campus.

So I don't.

Momiji
09-17-2008, 03:53 AM

lol

I still call where I live 'rural' though, since the community right outside of this town is Amish-- horse-drawn buggies, black clothes, horse droppings on the road, the whole deal. smurfing horses ruin the roads with their hooves too.

That's because kids who grew up in rural areas are paranoid of smurfing everything. Here in the south anyway.

I'm not paranoid of anything. I just said I was on my guard, especially because of everything that's been going on.

Rye
09-17-2008, 03:59 AM
People best recognize that I admit it's a offensive terrible stereotype~~~ :monster:

Also, I suppose it does depend on the city. I don't think I'd feel safe in even Washington DC or Baltimore during the day alone, because sorry, but the bums there and any city approaching the South that I've been to are literally insane and will follow you and yell at you. NYC bums are tame.

Manhattan is very clean and safe at all hours of the night nowadays if you stick to the mainstream areas of it. And even if you don't, there's so many stores open at all hours to go into if you feel threatened, as opposed to a rural area where you go ages with one lamp post, maybe, near the woods, not knowing where to nearest safe place is. Which do you think is more threatening, logically? xD

I've said it again and again, Manhattan, in it's busier parts, is one of the safest places on earth to be alone at night in. New York isn't the city it was 20 years ago, darlings. You should try it.

Tavrobel
09-17-2008, 04:03 AM
Also, I suppose it does depend on the city. I don't think I'd feel safe in even Washington DC or Baltimore during the day alone, because sorry, but the bums there and any city approaching the South that I've been to are literally insane and will follow you and yell at you. NYC bums are tame.

I have this terrible and most likely 100% accurate feeling that you've never been to either of those two cities.

Shoeberto
09-17-2008, 04:19 AM
Having grown up in the rural north I can say that's pretty invalid. Lots of racists and xenophobes up there, and I am personally paranoid as hell about being out in the country at night. I always was pretty afraid of what lurked just beyond the field line in the dark and then Signs had to come along and put a face to it.

The countryside can be pretty scary at times, but so can the city. Either one is probably just as likely to have someone pop out and rape and kill the http://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gif out of you. SWEET DREAMS RYE

Miriel
09-17-2008, 04:22 AM
Del Murder and I got lost in the Yucatan, a few miles from Chichen Itza.

We wandered around for like an hour in the dark and finally saw glowing pyramids in the distance and made our way back to the pyramid grounds and to our hotel. That was a miserable experience.

Here's two pictures of the road/area that we were walking along.

Madame Adequate
09-17-2008, 04:44 AM

I have this terrible and most likely 100% accurate feeling that you've never been to either of those two cities.

You know what they say. Don't assume. It makes an ASS of U and ME.

The countryside can be pretty scary at times, but so can the city. Either one is probably just as likely to have someone pop out and rape and kill the http://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gif out of you. SWEET DREAMS RYE

Yeah but this isn't actually about what is statistically more likely to be harmful (Because if it was her greatest fear ought to be me). It's about where she FEELS safe or endangered. She didn't say cities were safe as a rule and rural areas were dangerous as a rule. On account of her having an IQ higher than single digits, she's well aware that both places can be dangerous.

Jesus. People need to gain some basic literacy skills around these parts, you're all acting like she's some spiteful creature who is just out to portray rural folks badly or something, when she actually said this terrible prejudice stereotype, so she's pretty well aware that just a blanket statement is unreasonable. :monster: Also yeah I can vouch for the fact that the road we were walking was pretty unsettling, and anyone with balls lesser than my iron watermelons would have been bricking it. It was dark, narrow, surrounded by creepy looking woods, and 90% of the way was not lighted, so unless a car was driving along you had all the light of the moon behind the clouds to see around you, ie. 20 feet.

Also someone needs to update me with the memo where fear is a rational response to, well, anything. Fear is useful in exactly zero practical situations. I didn't feel the same fear she did, but she was scared out of her wits, so yeah basically, some empathy and common sense would go down a treat in this here thread. As noted, she's well aware her feelings were not rational, but she included it to explain why it was so freaking scary to her. If she just said 'It was a little dark and there was some trees" it wouldn't exactly explain why it was one of the most terrifying experiences of her life.

ONTOPIC:

The scariest place I have ever been in my life is the Customs and Immigration section of an international airport. In another example of irrational fear, it's abjectly terrifying for no real reason. But the fear itself makes me seem suspicious (Sweating, shaking, unfocused on the matter at hand, extreme nervousness, etc.) and I often get dragged through an hour of secondary screening.

Fucking fascists.

Bunny
09-17-2008, 04:52 AM

I have. With the exception of a very limited amount of areas (most areas with the government buildings/museums) the entire city of Washington D.C. is dirty, smells funny, and is full of all sorts of shady activity. It also has one of the highest crime rates in the nation.

Baltimore is similar in many aspects but has a larger amount of "nice" places in it. But, yeah, generally, not somewhere you'd want to be alone at midnight in.

I ain't 'fraid of nothin'.

PS Something makes me suspect that you two have switched accounts. Rye is using bigger words and making coherent posts/threads and MILF is, well, not.

~*~Celes~*~
09-17-2008, 04:53 AM
People best recognize that I admit it's a offensive terrible stereotype~~~ :monster:
No apology? Yikes, even MORE offensive :monster: For those of us who live in these areas, we don't appreciate being stereotyped. Next time, keep stereotypes to yourself, k?

NYC bums are tame.Not true.

Band trip '07 was to NYC. We were allowed to walk around Manhattan for a bit, and my friend Megan was nearly RAPED by an NYC "tame" bum. Thankfully my friend Grant was there...He managed to get the bum to buzz off.

Tavrobel
09-17-2008, 04:55 AM
You know what they say. Don't assume. It makes an ASS of U and ME.

Don't worry about that, MILF. I'm perfectly comfortable with my ass-ness. However, your statement seems to imply that I don't know what I'm talking about, but, that's okay. I'm not assuming anything. I'm postulating.

I have. With the exception of a very limited amount of areas (most areas with the government buildings/museums) the entire city of Washington D.C. is dirty, smells funny, and is full of all sorts of shady activity. It also has one of the highest crime rates in the nation.

Baltimore is similar in many aspects but has a larger amount of "nice" places in it. But, yeah, generally, not somewhere you'd want to be alone at midnight in.

I live outside of DC and make frequent trips to Baltimore. In my experience, a good portion of DC is much cleaner and not quite nearly as shady as people make it out to be. Ohh, did I mention I've been to NYC, too? I'm pretty sure that my experiences were actual experiences and not hallucinations.

I'll concede that DC has a smell (New Jersey is worse, so it's a relative thing), and there is this certain portion right across the Anacostia that if my car broke down in it, I would call it a loss and get a cab.

Bunny
09-17-2008, 04:55 AM
LET'S ALL MAKE IRRATIONAL GENERALIZATIONS IN THIS THREAD AND IGNORE LOGIC BY ASSUMING NOT EVERYTHING IS 100% TRUE ABOUT EVERY PERSON, PLACE OR THING.

kk sound good

shut up

please

Tavrobel
09-17-2008, 05:04 AM
No, Bunny, this is the internet. Everything MUST be true as I say it is, because my irrationality is more rational than your rationality.

rubah
09-17-2008, 05:07 AM
what the heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeell.

Alright, let's listen to some Depeche Mode! brb

~*~Celes~*~
09-17-2008, 05:09 AM
Lighted isn't a word :monster: I think the word you're looking for is "lit." Basic literacy skills!

Also, YES WE KNOW SHE RECOGNIZED SHE USED A TERRIBLY PREJUDICED STEREOTYPE but she didn't apologize for offending anyone. She said "I know I will offend some people" but she didn't actually say "I'm sorry for offending you" or anything of the sort, and she really should, especially since she has friends from those areas (Monda being from Kentucky and Justin being from rural Indiana).

rubah
09-17-2008, 05:09 AM
People are people
So why should it be
You and I should get along so awfully
People are people
So why should it be

So were different colours
And were different creeds
And different people
Have different needs
Its obvious you hate me
Though Ive done nothing wrong
Ive never even met you
So what could I have done
I cant understand
What makes a man
Hate another man
Help me understand
People are people
So why should it be
Help me understand
Help me understand

Now youre punching
And youre kicking
And youre shouting at me
And Im relying on your common decency
So far it hasnt surfaced
But Im sure it exists
It just takes a while to travel
From your head to your fist (head to your fists)
I cant understand what makes a man
Hate another man
Help me understand
People are people
So why should it be

I cant understand
What makes a man
Hate another man
Help me understand
I cant understand
What makes a man
Hate another man
I cant understand (people are people)
What makes a man (why should it be)
Hate another man
Help me understand...

Let's try this thread again in a few hours

theundeadhero
09-17-2008, 07:34 AM
I'm not afraid to be anywhere.

I grew up in the country. Woods might have dangerous animals but chances are they're going to leave you alone. You can walk at night down a road and never see another person. If you do see someone they're more likely to not stop the car or even take the time to say hello if they're on foot.

Never once in my life have I felt scared in the city though I haven't been to many in America. I've wandered St Louis Missouri alone and didn't like it but I wasn't scared. Rome, Paris, Amsterdam or Frankfurt? I've walked up and down these streets all days and nights and never had anything to worry about except to laugh at some of the crazies. I've slept in train stations in Germany without any problems. Monday night I slept in the streets of Paris and nothing happened. I slept in a park in Amsterdam and gotten so lost in Rome I wandered for hours until I figured out how to get back.

The only reason you people are scared is because of the impressions you give yourself about these places.

DMKA
09-17-2008, 01:12 PM
The only reason you people are scared is because of the impressions you give yourself about these places.

I don't think being afraid of high crime areas in the middle of the night is unreasonable.

Old Manus
09-17-2008, 01:25 PM
Adventure time, come on grab your friends
We'll go to very distant lands
MILF the dog and Rye the human
The fun will never end
It's adventure time

Rantz
09-17-2008, 01:32 PM
My parents used to run a sort of drug rehabilitation thing out in the country. Small time, just one guest at a time who was accommodated in the guest house and they got compensated by some organization.

Anyway, this one guest had a little trouble adapting, he had lived in the city his whole life, and as such he had always had the city light in his life. So when the night came and it got dark, no lampposts within a mile's distance, he freaked out. He couldn't stand it. So the first night, he took their car and went back towards Stockholm, which is a 300 mile drive. The police found the car by the roadside with a dead engine a way south from Stockholm.

Miriel
09-17-2008, 01:45 PM

I don't think being afraid of high crime areas in the middle of the night is unreasonable.

Seriously.

I'm not afraid of places because of IMPRESSIONS I have of those places, I'm scared because of the realities of those places. I was walking around the USC campus in Los Angeles the other night, just a few days following the attack and rape of two girls. Two girls on two separate nights who had been walking along the same street I was walking and were attacked by two different men. You can bet your ass I was scared and clutching at my little pocket knife. My family and I have lived and worked in Los Angeles all our lives. And my Dad has been held at gun point, my mom has been mugged TWICE, multiple cars have been vandalized, and countless (seriously, I've lost count) home robberies of friends and family. Fear is not unreasonable. Fear was what made carry around and ultimately use a bottle of pepper spray during my Sophomore year in college.

Never once in my life have I felt scared in the city though I haven't been to many in America. I've wandered St Louis Missouri alone and didn't like it but I wasn't scared. Rome, Paris, Amsterdam or Frankfurt? I've walked up and down these streets all days and nights and never had anything to worry about except to laugh at some of the crazies. I've slept in train stations in Germany without any problems. Monday night I slept in the streets of Paris and nothing happened. I slept in a park in Amsterdam and gotten so lost in Rome I wandered for hours until I figured out how to get back.

Maybe it's different for guys than it is for girls. Or it's just different for people who haven't trained as a soldier.

I really doubt that most woman can do what you did and spend nights sleeping in a park or a train station or out on the streets, alone, without getting into some real trouble.

All I know is that I've been accosted in LA, and I've been chased after by some random stranger in a small town hotel in the Midwest. There are freaks and crazies all over the place. I can see myself being really scared being out alone in some deserted rural area. But that's just cause I wouldn't want to be alone and out in the dark anywhere. I used to carry around this key on my keychain that wasn't useful for opening any doors but it was really really sharp. And I keep my keychain in my hands whenever I'm out at night alone. Just in case, you know? I used to have pepper spray. Now I have a small pocket knife that I carry around. Rye, if you really do get paranoid often, try getting yourself one of those little bottles of pepper spray and keep it on your keychain (unless that's illegal in your state?) It might make you feel less vulnerable.

Unagi, my friends. Unagi.

Marshall Banana
09-17-2008, 02:16 PM
Also, YES WE KNOW SHE RECOGNIZED SHE USED A TERRIBLY PREJUDICED STEREOTYPE but she didn't apologize for offending anyone. She said "I know I will offend some people" but she didn't actually say "I'm sorry for offending you" or anything of the sort, and she really should, especially since she has friends from those areas (Monda being from Kentucky and Justin being from rural Indiana).
I'm not offended. =O

My house is surrounded by woods on three sides, and there are no street lights on my road, so just taking my doggies outside to pee at night is too scary for me. It doesn't help that someone was killed and left down the road this week and human remains were found in the woods behind my house last year.

rubah
09-17-2008, 03:06 PM
The first time you go out at night in a new place, it's always scary, but once you do it a few times you realize you're not as likely to be a statistic and it's not scary.

I was scared the first night I decided to walk down my dark country road, but I don't think anything of it now.

The first time is what is the hardest and the scariest, it's just these kinda of situations are such that you might get so scared and the situation is so improbable that you never give it a second try.

Misfit
09-17-2008, 04:01 PM

I think you're just trying to stir up drama. If you're offended by that, then you need to GTFO of the internets imo. Damn. :smash:

Aerith's Knight
09-17-2008, 04:18 PM
I've been waiting for ages to use this one.. :)

http://img380.imageshack.us/img380/5404/1173701825883al1.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

And everyone knows how I feel about stereotypes, or at least should.

Not so Funfact: Everytime someone is caught, a rapist, a child murderer, etc. The people who knew him always say: "He seemed so normal."

It's not the stereotype you have to look out for, the real sickos blend in quite well.

I mean, look at Paul. ;)

Quindiana Jones
09-17-2008, 06:59 PM
Oh, good grief.

Also, Rye doesn't state her stereotype as fact. She just has a silly little stereotype, which is pretty what she's saying in the post. Or I'm horribly wrong, and she does think her stereotype is fact, in which case who cares? xD

Also also, I love the dark, me. My meercat senses start a-tingling, and it's brilliant.

Rantz
09-17-2008, 07:30 PM
Also also, I love the dark, me. My meercat senses start a-tingling, and it's brilliant.

I swear we're soulmates.

Quindiana Jones
09-17-2008, 07:38 PM
Don't you just love it when you can hear everything, without all the annoying human noises in the way?

Where I live, "human noises" usually means sex sounds coming from various nearby hedges. I'm not even kidding. Eurgh.

Remulak
09-17-2008, 07:46 PM
Don't you just love it when you can hear everything, without all the annoying human noises in the way?

Where I live, "human noises" usually means sex sounds coming from various nearby hedges. I'm not even kidding. Eurgh.

Join in on the action. You never you know you might like it.

Quindiana Jones
09-17-2008, 07:49 PM
Is that an offer, Rem? :jokey:

Remulak
09-17-2008, 07:50 PM
That kind of talk can get you legally married to a dude.

Quindiana Jones
09-17-2008, 07:53 PM
Ah, legally? That takes all the fun out of it.

Zeldy
09-17-2008, 08:08 PM
I have no idea what a hick is. However, I'll assume it's like when people assume that people from Liverpool (don't comment, I AM NOT A LIVERPUDLIAN) will steal from you and that they are all skin head chavs and Liverpudlians get all mad about it. I think some news paper said something like that and now, the most popular newspaper in the UK too xD, is never found anywhere in Liverpool as people refuse to stock it. lul.

tbh, you all know Rye, and should realise that she wouldn't have meant it to personally offend any one. maaan xD DRAMAZ.

Everywhere has its fair share of bad and good people.

Old Manus
09-17-2008, 09:28 PM
I think some news paper said something like that and now, the most popular newspaper in the UK too xD, is never found anywhere in Liverpool as people refuse to stock it. lul.That was The Sun, and I'm pretty sure Merseyside is better without it

Zeldy
09-17-2008, 09:44 PM
I think some news paper said something like that and now, the most popular newspaper in the UK too xD, is never found anywhere in Liverpool as people refuse to stock it. lul.That was The Sun, and I'm pretty sure Merseyside is better without it

It's not all of Merseyside, just Liverpool. Merseyside isn't just Liverpool ;_;

Raebus
09-17-2008, 09:56 PM
I've seen a picture of her wearing a Liverpool football shirt, guys. You cannot hide your liverpoolianness from us! >: ]

Lynx
09-17-2008, 10:04 PM
ive lived out in a small woods town my whole life but still feel pretty comfortable walking around nyc by myself. and standing at 5'7 150 pounds im not exactly big enough to be considered as someone not to mess with.

i think maybe my creepiest experience would be the other night i was walking around my town alone and the sun went down and it was pitch black and no houses around. only thing i was worried about was a bear attacking me. but i wasn't really worried cause i think id survive the attack and itd just be an awesome story.

Aerith's Knight
09-17-2008, 10:12 PM
ive lived out in a small woods town my whole life but still feel pretty comfortable walking around nyc by myself. and standing at 5'7 150 pounds im not exactly big enough to be considered as someone not to mess with.

Of course, me, at 6'3" and 180 pounds I can pretty much walk safely anywhere. :p

I've walked in NY state, in the slummier neibourhoods at 2 AM at night.

Bums ask for money a lot, but nothing really happens.

theundeadhero
09-17-2008, 10:31 PM
I just don't see the point in being afraid that something <i>could</i> happen. I understand being scared if something is happening or looks like it's about to happen. If I was walking down the street where people just died and someone was trying to murder me I would be scared. If I was walking down the same street and someone was staring me down I would be wary. If I was just walking down the street it wouldn't scare me at all. There's no reason to be scared if you're just walking down the street. It's the impression you give yourself that your about to be murdered at any moment that makes you scared. To me that's the same as people who won'y fly on airplanes because the airplane might crash. Nothing says the airplane is about to crash but they're scared it will anyway.

Freya
09-18-2008, 03:20 AM
I think to solve Rye's little fear of the country she should take a weekend retreat to a farm :3 City people running from chickens is funny.

I understand the way she said it may have offended you guys, me slightly too. But she's a city gal, she doesn't know what most rural folks are like. All she's ever known really was concrete. It seemed that she got scared from being in an unknown uncomfy place. She was just not use to it and it scared her. That's what I got from it. A few of her phrase could have been chosen better but it's not something to freak out about.

I will go on topic but with a countryish story. When I was little just down the dirt road I lived on in Texas (south and country! You shouldn't generalize so much rye rye most rural people are nice ^_^) there was this berry bush. Well i'm the youngest out of my siblings, my older sister being 6 years older, and they decided to go down there at night. Well my now brother in law, his two brothers, my sister, my brother, my best friend at the time, and I all went down there. There was a bunch of us but I was still terrified of the dark. I swear there were monsters out there.

I kept hearing creaks and movements in the forest. Then there was this house with no name. No name was on the mail box but it had a creepy driveway. We had to go by it to get down to the bush. I was clinging to my now brother in law for dear life. Of course everyone made fun of me.

We eventually got those berries but not without me freaking out on the way. I was like 6 then though :P

Psychotic
09-18-2008, 03:24 AM
I have no idea what a hick is. However, I'll assume it's like when people assume that people from Liverpool (don't comment, I AM NOT A LIVERPUDLIAN) will steal from you and that they are all skin head chavs and Liverpudlians get all mad about it. I think some news paper said something like that and now, the most popular newspaper in the UK too xD, is never found anywhere in Liverpool as people refuse to stock it. lul.It came after the Hillsborough stadium disaster. The Sun decided it would be a good idea to falsely claim Liverpool fans pissed on the dead and stole from them in order to sell papers. Oh ho did that ever backfire. That was almost 20 years ago and the city of Liverpool is still very angry about it. On some Liverpool FC forums I lurk at, if you even say the words "The Sun" you will be yelled at, abused, and possibly banned.

I am from the suburbs, so both city folk and country folk are beneath me. :cool:

DMKA
09-18-2008, 03:39 AM
I have no idea what a hick is. However, I'll assume it's like when people assume that people from Liverpool (don't comment, I AM NOT A LIVERPUDLIAN) will steal from you and that they are all skin head chavs and Liverpudlians get all mad about it. I think some news paper said something like that and now, the most popular newspaper in the UK too xD, is never found anywhere in Liverpool as people refuse to stock it. lul.It came after the Hillsborough stadium disaster. The Sun decided it would be a good idea to falsely claim Liverpool fans pissed on the dead and stole from them in order to sell papers. Oh ho did that ever backfire. That was almost 20 years ago and the city of Liverpool is still very angry about it. On some Liverpool FC forums I lurk at, if you even say the words "The Sun" you will be yelled at, abused, and possibly banned.

I am from the suburbs, so both city folk and country folk are beneath me. :cool:

You're British. You don't know what a suburb is.

Miss_Lulu
09-18-2008, 03:44 AM
ain't none of ya'll seen nothing until you've walked around apeyard at midnight.
thats some scary sh*t.

i live wayyy out in the middle of nowhere. and i walk just about everyday.
like, every night this week, i've walked all the way to my cousin beth's house.
country roads in the middle of night, with no street lamps, and trees hanging over the road. now thats scary.
tonight i almost got hit by a car cause it came up a hill really fast and i didnt hear it coming. ;D
'twas fun. :D

Psychotic
09-18-2008, 03:46 AM
You're British. You don't know what a suburb is.Don't stereotype me, mothafucka! :mad2::mad2::mad2:

~*~Celes~*~
09-18-2008, 03:46 AM
I'm from a rural suburb, if that makes any sense...

I say that because it's a suburb in the middle of nowhere. Toledo to the north, and Bowling Green to the south. There is NOTHING where I live, except a library, two night clubs, a pizza place, and a restaurant.

Moon Rabbits
09-18-2008, 03:50 AM
I am not really afraid of cities. I live in a average sized city, but I never really think twice about being downtown or out and about at night. I just am. There is a really scary bridge I have to cross to get home from one bus stop, though, but it is more scary because I am paranoid about the mothman eating me alive than I am about scary gangster types.

Although, the east and north ends of my city are pretty mothersmurfing scary places sometimes. I was waiting for a bus once and there was this fellow about 800 times bigger than me just standing in front of me while I sat on the bench. He was like, staring at me and whistling really creepy like, and punching his palm with his other hand every once and awhile. I just avoided eye contact and prayed for the bus to come quickly. Then it did!

Whenever I take the bus to Toronto and spend the night, I'm usually out and about there too. Regent Park is scary http://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gif though.

The wide open country scares me, walking down the roads and what not. I'm always paranoid of someone stuffing me into a car or something. That'd be pretty balls.

DMKA
09-18-2008, 03:54 AM
You're British. You don't know what a suburb is.Don't stereotype me, mothasmurfa! :mad2::mad2::mad2:

:love::love::love::love:

Shlup
09-18-2008, 04:06 AM
Anything different from your personal norm is scary. When BJ and I were on our honeymoon in Jamaica we only left the hotel grounds twice, and it was super scary! But, then again, I've always disliked being around black people. The only reason we even chose Jamaica is because then we'd just have the black people as servants, which I'm comfortable with as long as our doors had locks.

Moon Rabbits
09-18-2008, 04:09 AM
Anything different from your personal norm is scary. When BJ and I were on our honeymoon in Jamaica we only left the hotel grounds twice, and it was super scary! But, then again, I've always disliked being around black people. The only reason we even chose Jamaica is because then we'd just have the black people as servants, which I'm comfortable with as long as our doors had locks.

O_O;

Bunny
09-18-2008, 04:10 AM

I am putting this is my freaking signature.

Rye
09-18-2008, 04:18 AM

You're the best. xD

Misfit
09-18-2008, 04:18 AM

I just wanted to quote this, too. xD

Jowy
09-18-2008, 04:20 AM
bahahahaha.

Madame Adequate
09-18-2008, 04:21 AM

Possibly the best piece of prose writing since Hemingway.

Yamaneko
09-18-2008, 04:22 AM
How could they have been within earshot of their white master if the door was locked?

Momiji
09-18-2008, 04:52 AM

This thread needs to be stickied in the archive forum when it dies.

rubah
09-18-2008, 04:53 AM
City people running from chickens is funny.

oh yes. I had a friend growing up who was terrified of heifer cows. No horns, they run away from you, etc. It was hilarious.

~*~Celes~*~
09-18-2008, 05:00 AM
Epic post made by ShlupQuack, on this 17th day in September, 2008.

Shlup
09-18-2008, 05:18 AM
You people need to suck it up. Stereotypes exist for a reason.

How could they have been within earshot of their white master if the door was locked?

1-800-DIAL-A-NEGRO and I had lobster bisque set up on my patio dining set in five minutes. Those Jamaican darkies know how to earn their American green.

When they're between spliffs, I mean. I swear to god.

Yamaneko
09-18-2008, 05:31 AM
Why would you dial a number designated as a U.S. country code in order to get service in Jamaica? I'm beginning to doubt your legitimate xenophobic reactions to the Dark Man.

Shlup
09-18-2008, 05:33 AM
I don't remember what the number for room service actually was, Abandoner. I was too busy worrying about the safety of my supple white body to pay attention to details.

Roto13
09-18-2008, 05:56 AM

So people can excuse their false sense of superiority over each other.

Shlup
09-18-2008, 06:04 AM

That clearly was not the point I was making, but it is also true so whatev.

Yamaneko
09-18-2008, 06:12 AM
It's not a false sense of superiority when reality reinforces that feeling.

Shlup
09-18-2008, 06:14 AM
Freaking racist.

Rantz
09-18-2008, 09:06 AM
Yeah, Roto. >=(

Peegee
09-18-2008, 06:07 PM
Adventures through Markham

I'd have to say that Markham (the place I spent most of my life) is a pretty uninteresting place superficially. It's this bastion of Chinese immigration (Miriel would have a field day with this place) to such a point where the Chinese population is comparable to the Occidentals. For example, when I went to Chicago (where Blacks and Whites are almost equal in numbers) I exclaimed: "It's a Black Markham!"

Basically what this amounts to from a demographic / sociological perspective is that children no longer have any sort of tradition when they are brought up. Whether they end up adopting hip hop culture or a blend of Chinese/Western culture (I am the latter, I suppose; I do not like to acknowledge my Chinese heritage) is often a matter of chance (ie what year you graduated high school and what pop culture was like then) or maturity.

You'd pretty much think that nothing was interesting here. So when my brother started urban exploration (UE), I scoffed at him and considered it a waste of time. We had explored construction sites before; I quit after this one time we were running around leaving the premises of a residential construction zone. I jumped over a hill and landed on a protruding nail from the ground (!!!). Amazingly, and while I would be loathed to use the word 'luck', my work boots slipped off my feet mid-air, and I landed on the balls of my foot. As you can imagine, the nail would've hit my ankle or heel. So there I was, panicking that I was stuck in the ground. I couldn't stand properly on that foot, and my brother had to yank my shoe out of the nail.

Tetanus, anybody? I'm immune to pain but I don't like permanent injuries.

My brother assured me that UE would be safer by far -- we would only be exploring houses that had been occupied. Hah, if you have any idea what we were doing you wouldn't think it was safe.

The first few places we visited were abandoned houses. Basically places where the previous tenants had evacuated the premises for whichever reason, and had failed to or neglected to find new owners to appropriate the location. What we found almost immediately is that people who abandon houses will often leave...basically, items that nobody will need. Specifically, canned food, and *groan* edible food. You've not lived until you open a rotting refrigerator full of nasty, bacteria ridden milk, foul, rotting pickles, and who knows what else is in there. If you ever find yourself in an abandoned house, I invite you to open the cupboards to see what fun horrors await you. I am genuinely shocked we didn't find any rats.

So basically the kitchen is the most disgusting place imaginable. As for the rest of the house, what we tended to find, expecting zero to no furniture, a great deal of documents and equipment. Oh and old, ugly furniture nobody would ever be caught in the daylight wearing. Ew. Mostly, the furniture is strewn about as if an afterthought; I could imagine the previous tenants, after clearing the house of salvageable parts, decided to stack the remaining equipment in unusual configurations, expecting us (UErs) to find it one day and go 'what the smurf??'

A few places come to mind where exceptionally unusual environments presented itself. Most houses that have been left abandoned for extended periods of time tend to suffer structural decay. Indeed a lot of the time we had backup plans, carried cell phones, and always, always went in pairs. You don't want to be caught dead at the underside of a staircase because the boards broke as you walked up the stairs. Yes, that does happen and I have had to jump (stupidly, looking back) several steps to get to the top floor.

Other places to look out for are the basement, and the attic. The basement tends to get flooded eventually. I think structural decay allows a leak, and because the soil soaks in so much water, it's basically like an open hole for water to go in. Otherwise the basement is typically 'no smurfing way' territory -- there's usually interesting furniture and equipment down there, but the risk of animals is too great.

Speaking of animals, the attic is a haven for bats and birds and who knows what else. There's also typically nothing interesting up there (damn you people do something interesting up there like hide bodies or gold up there!) so we tend to stay away.

Documents and mail is the only thing left. We can usually figure out who the old tenants were from them, and rifling through their mail (a federal offence, apparently) allows us intimate details into the cause(s) of evacuation. Usually it's due to lack of payment of mortgage. Sometimes people just up and go, abandoning their homes. I stumbled upon a person who had a home office which stretched for decades by the time I found it -- I found old equipment with peripherals I have never seen before to educational books like 'how to program in Fortran' and other arcane nonsense. I also found lots of paper trails. If we wanted to, it would be completely possible to find the old tenants of these buildings and stalk them. Bwahaha burp

Getting into the buildings tends to be not as fun. UErs have a 'code' where we must not damage the property so that our fun can be experienced by others. However transients, bums, hobos and potheads also crash at our place. We find human feces and urine puddles everywhere (along with animal droppings). Also often we'll find that those idiots will have given us a way in. Otherwise, the procedure is severalfold.

First, we find a site. Often this happens just by driving around town and noticing that a place hasn't been taken care of (long grass in the yard is a good indicator) in a while. Next, often at night, we do a quick bypass of the place. Go during the wee hours of the morning so that there isn't as much car traffic, and determine point(s) of entry. Locked doors = never mind. Windows we can slide open = okay. 2nd floor windows = last ditch desperate option.

Crowbars and screwdrivers are excellent tools for boarded up, but otherwise manageable doors. I got very good at shoulder checking open doors, and being sneaky. Oh yes you have to be sneaky. At night, anybody can see your flashlights, and often you won't know that somebody called the cops until it is too late. So don't flash lights outside windows, on mirrors, or anywhere that's not the floor if you can help it. My brother managed to get a set of head-mounted flashlights (the kind that you see at dance clubs), which is pretty neat.

Once done, you must make your escape. There should always be multiple escape routes, for first, second, and possibly basement escape routes should be planned in advance. Try to avoid using flashlights, but if you need to and are caught, they are great for disorientating your opponents (police, security guards, pokemon trainers who think they're too good for their own good). I personally suggest that (since you're likely to bring one) you use a camera, and use the strobe light feature (like anti red eye). It will disorientate a person, and ruin their night vision. Be sure to cover your eyes or look away as you do it lest you suffer the same fate.

Escape vehicles should be stashed far away from the site but not too far as to make escape impractical. Have escape points to run to, and meetup places in public areas (coffee shops are good for this) where you can collect your troops and hide from law enforcement.

If you decide to take up UE know that a lot of people think it is illegal, and thus take precautions in that regard. I personally don't believe that a place which no longer has an owner can be trespassed upon, but the state tends to think otherwise. The best is to have a good excuse or story. Go with a person of the opposite gender and claim to be a couple looking at property to purchase. Or use them as an easy excuse to be a randy couple that's too bored (I hope s/he is emotionally stable enough to play the part and not feel 'weird' after). If it is raining or storming outside, you have an easy excuse of saying you were caught in the rain and was just seeking shelter until the storm dies down. Be creative but not silly. If worse comes to worse you can always challenge the guards to a pokemon battle.

edit:

I go for Japanese food before finishing this post and Mandee has to go and remind everybody how amazing it is to go to Jamaica (I've been there too) and have dark skinned people serve you. Yes I was also afraid of being robbed and while it was stupid to stay in a huge band of obviously obvious tourists, we really had no choice (I guess we could have all gone in blackface). The cuisine there was not the greatest but we managed (chicken, rice and beans anybody? Every day? Forever and ever?)

Would I go back? Probably not. But at least I can say I've been there. Then again, is that really that big a deal?

What I learned from the trip, and any trip that isn't to the USA or another part of Canada that is below the Territories: western imperialism is a good thing.

Jessweeee♪
09-18-2008, 06:11 PM
Walking home from basketball practice was always kinda creepy because I lived in a very very very small town at the time and it got really dark at night. Plus it was freezing and icy, because it was winter.

LunarWeaver
09-18-2008, 09:45 PM
I live in hick central and it is a horrible place full of scary people. Everyone here is everythingphobic, everythingcist, crazy fanatics. The closest town to me is extremely small. The closest decent-sized place is 45 minutes away. When the sun goes down, this town is full of drunk people with beards wearing flannel being sexist, and teenagers hanging out in front of the one gas station pretending to be black, just waiting for someone to walk by so they can gang up on the person and go "A'yo! A'yo! WHATCHOO DOIN'!" Of course they all hate black people, so it's secretly kinda funny.

But anyway, yeah. And walking down the cornfield filled roads at night is not a good idea, because people do stop, and people here aren't stopping to offer you a ride. Teenagers drive around back roads shooting houses with a shotgun for fun for chrissake. Everyone is too bored here, really. I fully support Rye's stereotype that all hicks are awful because I too like to generalize.

Of course, I wouldn't feel safe in a city either, because I'm a 117 pound pussy that's scared of everything :greenie:. So my opinion doesn't count for much, as usual. I can't even beat up a spider, let alone anyone attacking me, and my imagination assumes everyone is out to get me and wants me dead. I need a large line of people smacking sense into me when I freak out like in Airplane!.

DMKA
09-19-2008, 12:15 AM

I love you.

Fixed.

Shiny
09-19-2008, 11:01 PM
If you don't wanna be raped and/or killed, put yourself inside of a bubble and hope for the best.

Zeldy
09-20-2008, 12:20 AM
Walking through a gang of chavs has to be one of the scariest moments ever. I was out round this village on Friday night, cops everywhere and that, but walking past chavs shouting crap at you is scary as. ;_;

I had to walk through a load in some alley way once, oh my god that was scaryy xD

Quindiana Jones
09-20-2008, 01:18 PM
Haha, I've had a group of chavs tell me I'm not black once. xD

Raebus
09-20-2008, 02:03 PM
I thought you were a witty and hilarious AI but now it turns you're real?! My illusions have been crushed, Quin.

Quindiana Jones
09-20-2008, 02:13 PM
Your illusions would've been crushed anyway, as I'm neither witty nor hilarious. ;)

Montoya
09-22-2008, 08:22 AM
I went to the graveyard past 12 at night with some friends that are afraid of ghost just so I could prove nothing would happen. And nope, nothing happened but they http://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gif their pants.