PDA

View Full Version : Installing the Sims 2

nik0tine
09-17-2008, 03:58 AM
I'm trying to install the Sims 2 to my external hard drive. I want to install it to E:Games\the Sims and I can do that just fine but before the installation begins I get a message that says the sims will install 300 someodd megabytes onto the C drive. Before I install this game I want to know what it is that is being put onto my C drive and why I don't have a choice in this at all. If it's anything like this BS I keep hearing about SPORE I probably won't want to install the sims. Can anyone dispense some advice regarding this issue?

~*~Celes~*~
09-17-2008, 05:25 AM
You're getting:

-3 neighborhoods that were made by the creators, plus some families in each neighborhood. Plus the ability to custom make your own.

-Serious stuff regarding how your sims look. It used to be just outfit change and the hairstyle came with the head, but now, you can change skin tone, eye color, hair color, hair style, body type, clothing for every category (formal, every day, pj's, undies, swimming, etc) instead of just one outfit for every day and the game's choice of night clothes and formal wear like in the original Sims.

-The ability to have kids that actually look like your parent sims rather than two blond parents with a dark-haired kid like in the original Sims.

-Needs and wants for your sims instead of just needs.

-TONS more detail in EVERYTHING! You can actually watch your sim cook, and you see "Milk" on the milk carton and EVERYTHING!

-More stuff that is just so EPIC that I can't think of it all just now ;-;

qwertysaur
09-17-2008, 06:16 AM
There are quite a few updates in the Sims 2.

You get three neighborhoods, each with several families and storylines that weave throughout the families.

Create a Sim is expanded greatly. You can control their hair, clothing and appearance upon creating your Sims. The detail you can go into is pretty deep, as you can make your Sim have huge lips and a pointy nose for example.

Children are a random recombination of their parents features, with a limiter to inhibit extreme cases where the child's face is deformed.

Sims Age. Different Ages have different patterns, actions, aspirations and appearances.

Memories. Was their a fire? Your Sim will remember it, and may even talk about it.

Wants/Fears. Your Sim Aspires to do things, and will try to avoid doing other things. Ignore this, and your Sim will go crazy.

Fitness. Sims go from Fit to fat. Only 3 levels.

Also a ton of furniture choices.

Also it is possible to hack the game and add your own stuff, through the Sims 2 Body Shop. Shlup knows about that, so ask her for help there.

~*~Celes~*~
09-17-2008, 06:40 AM
And there are sites you can go to and download stuff, from bedsheets to new meals!

Modthesims2 and The Sim's Resource are just two of the many sites ^^

nik0tine
09-17-2008, 06:59 AM
But why will 300+ megabytes of information be installed on my C drive? Why isn't it going to my external E drive like the rest of the program is?

From what I gather from both of your posts is that the 300 MB that will beput on my C drive is all of those extra features you have described. Is that true or have I misunderstood you?

~*~Celes~*~
09-17-2008, 07:13 AM
...Oh, I didn't see that it's going on the C instead of E xD sorry about that.

It could just be that that's the default drive *shrugs* If that's what you're asking about. I don't know if there's a way to change it though.

Elly
09-17-2008, 01:45 PM
because all those things and game saves and new neighborhoods default save to a folder the game creates under My Documents which is normaly located in the C drive... basicaly it's the default, you can install the game core anywhere you want but everything else that can be interacted with is stored in its own folder created in My Documents... it's to make it easier for the modding community as Maxis is very Mod friendly...