PDA

View Full Version : New Hitchhiker's author named

Heath
09-17-2008, 12:28 PM
BBC NEWS | Entertainment/Arts | New Hitchhiker's author announced (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7619828.stm)

I had no idea they were even planning a sixth book. What do we make of this, EoFF?

Aerith's Knight
09-17-2008, 12:56 PM
That's a no no!

The hitchiker's serie is closed!

If anything, work on the Dirk Gently series, but I will not have some second rate author destroy the ending of one of the best books of the 20th century.

They're only doing this to be able to make more movies and sell more books, ergo, for the money! >:[

I dispise this guy already.

Rantz
09-17-2008, 01:39 PM
Ugh, I dunno. On one hand I feel a bit disgusted over such money-grubbing tactics. "The movie was a success, now we can make more books which we can make another movie out of."

On the other hand, the original books will still be there, and who knows? Maybe the new book will be fantastic, we'll have to read to find out.

These two sides are currently blocking each other out in my mind, so I'm feeling a bit indifferent towards the prospect.

rubah
09-17-2008, 03:02 PM
Artemis Fowl wasn't even that great! And the series died with Moslty Harmless(pun intended)!

I guess I don't have to read it if I don't want to

Croyles
09-17-2008, 03:24 PM
Meh, theres no one out there who is the same kinda crazy as Douglas Adams, so I doubt it'l be good.

Spatvark
09-17-2008, 06:27 PM
"And once we're done raping everyone's fond memories of a great series of books, let's go and drown some kittens. I'll bring the burlap sack, you get the bricks!"

Jessweeee♪
09-17-2008, 07:13 PM
I wasn't aware that he died :(

Another book wouldn't hurt I guess. I'll read it and if I don't like it then I guess I don't like it. If I do, then huzzahs will be in order.

Ouch!
09-17-2008, 07:33 PM
I already pretend that the series ends after the third book.

scrumpleberry
09-17-2008, 07:47 PM
Errr, not awfully excited about this.

Cz
09-17-2008, 09:17 PM
Don't see the point in this. I'm sure Eoin Colfer will write an entertaining book, but it won't be a Douglas Adams book, which is surely the entire point.

Nice title, though. :greenie:

scrumpleberry
09-17-2008, 09:34 PM
Don't see the point in this. I'm sure Eoin Colfer will write an

Eoin Colfer will write

Eoin Colfer

WHAT WHAT WHAT smurfING NO.

edit: for those of you that aren't familiar with the Artemis Fowl series...you shouldn't be. They're okay when you're about 8 but the guy has a really arrogant style somehow, his characters are all terrible and you just can't rbing yourself to give a damn abou what happens to them... the plots and worlds he creates are pretty mediocre...

tl;dr COLFER WILL FUCKING RAEP THE SERIES.

Balzac
09-18-2008, 09:11 AM
They've done the same with James Bond, some hack is writing those now.

Mirage
09-18-2008, 04:33 PM
For those with attention deficiency disorders, here is a summarized snippet of the general ramblings for you to ponder over - COLFER WILL smurfING RAEP THE SERIES.

Please shorten that a bit more, I can't seem to find my ritalin today.

scrumpleberry
09-18-2008, 05:55 PM
RAEP

Captain Maxx Power
09-19-2008, 01:41 AM
They've done the same with James Bond, some hack is writing those now.

Charlie Higson (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlie_Higson) is a hack?

But anyways, I always find it odd when a series is posthumously continued without acceptance by the original author. For series that the author decides on while they're still alive sure, but for after their death I'm not so sure. Still it's an IP after all and they can do whatever they want with it I suppose.

BG-57
09-20-2008, 02:39 PM
Authors tend to hit the law of diminishing returns even when writing their own sequels (2061 anyone?) combined with the tendency of humor to be idiosyncratic makes it very unlikely that this will be any good.

Kes
09-20-2008, 07:01 PM
I think the only way I would have been fine with this if it were Gaiman/Pratchett a la <i>Good Omens</i> but since that's not even really much of an option anymore. . . *sadface*

I am tempted to read this book. I won't pay for it though, so my options are library or ninja reading in B&N.

Just. . . Eoin Colfer? Really? I don't think he's all that bad. . . but really?

Also, I like how this prompted Neil Gaiman to be all like "Hai guys! No writing mah stuff after I die k?"