PDA

View Full Version : Mega Man 9 dated for North America

Roto13
09-20-2008, 02:30 AM
http://www.joystiq.com/2008/09/19/mega-man-9-dated-for-north-america/

And it's soon. :P September 22nd for WiiWare (Monday!) 25th for the PSN, and October 1st for Xbox 360. I'm so glad I set some Wii points aside for it. :P It's going to be great.

Also, at least one bit of DLC is confirmed. Protoman will release in October for $2. He'll be able to charge his shots and slide (which Mega Man can't in this game) as well as block bullets with his shield.

Yar
09-20-2008, 02:41 AM
I'm intrigued. I've bought only one piece of WiiWare. Maybe that'll change.

Bolivar
09-20-2008, 06:54 AM
Wow, I really stopped keeping tabs on this. I didn't know it was coming out so soon, or for the PSN, or that you wouldn't be able to charge shots.

Is this going to be upscaled in widescreen for PS3/360?

Dreddz
09-20-2008, 11:36 AM
Thats really shameful for Capcom to release DLC so soon after the initial release. They could easily put it in the initial release but decided it was a good way to get some extra cash from you. Developers have taken DLC too far in my opinion.

JKTrix
09-20-2008, 02:17 PM
Is this going to be upscaled in widescreen for PS3/360?

I don't think it will be. According to Capcom, this is for all intents and purposes a new game for the NES. Graphically, technically, musically and all that. Though the DLC thing kind of conflicts that idea.

Roto13
09-20-2008, 05:39 PM
Nostalgia is all well and good until it starts cutting into profits. :P

Yeah, DLC sucks because developers do it completely wrong. It's not like Rock Band or Guitar Hero where there are like 80 songs in the game and they release more every week. Developers like Capcom and Namco develop DLC while they're developing the game and just hold onto it until they want more money, sometimes even going so far as to put the DLC right there on the disc and making you pay to unlock it.

But I will probably end up buying Protoman anyway. My first ever piece of DLC.

XxSephirothxX
09-20-2008, 05:45 PM
Protoman is a pimp.

ljkkjlcm9
09-20-2008, 05:48 PM
this is great because they've been releasing Megaman on the Virtual console, most recently Megaman 2... I was almost expecting them to release all of them and then Megaman 9, but this is much better!

THE JACKEL

Roto13
09-22-2008, 05:02 PM
As of, like, two minutes ago, Mega Man 9 is up on WiiWare.

Downloading now. <3

Dreddz
09-23-2008, 12:18 PM
So how much is Mega Man 9? I'm planning to buy it this Thursday with Wipeout HD on the PSN. I really wanna stay under £15 so I still have an even bank balance.

And is the game any good. I've been through the first three Mega Man titles for the NES but didn't go any further. I personally disliked the X series, dunno why. But the first three, especially the first two, are great fun. How does Mega Man 9 compare to those?

Krelian
09-24-2008, 12:06 PM
Haven't played it myself yet, but from everything I've read about it (and that's a lot) it is very much like the first NES games, especially Mega Man 2. If you like them there's a very high chance you'll like Mega Man 9 as well. Also, I think it will cost less than £15, around £8 or £10 maybe.

erikramza
09-24-2008, 12:19 PM
ah yes... megaman 9. the annoying difficulty that made me hate megaman 2 returns. along with the dated graphics (WHY CAPCOM!?).
megaman 8 was great. i find this hardly appealing.

maybe it comes with a bag of mushrooms to make the graphics look wild and amazing?

Coma
09-24-2008, 01:06 PM
megaman 8 was great. i find this hardly appealing.JUMP, JUMP. SLIDE SLIDE.

Trolling aside MM8 was far better than nine. for the above reasons.

Krelian
09-24-2008, 01:49 PM
Have you guys even played Mega Man 9? You shouldn't judge it before you tried it.

I myself prefer the NES-style Mega Man's over Mega Man 7 or Mega Man 8, both of which I liked too, btw. So I'm pretty sure I will enjoy Mega Man 9 and its graphics <3

erikramza
09-24-2008, 01:53 PM

was... is going to be, probably.
detailed sprites, another solid reason. it was a little TOO easy, but what game today isn't?

Coma
09-24-2008, 02:02 PM
Have you guys even played Mega Man 9? You shouldn't judge it before you tried it.

I myself prefer the NES-style Mega Man's over Mega Man 7 or Mega Man 8, both of which I liked too, btw. So I'm pretty sure I will enjoy Mega Man 9 and its graphics <3Yeah, I have. And I was let down. The retro graphics are a stupid idea. It's not the graphics that made six and seven suck. Eight had non retro art, and it was awesome. The stage music was bland, it wasn't bad (like MM5), but it wasn't any good either, it was just sort of there. The difficulty was too high. I don't mind a challenge, in fact, it wouldn't be Mega Man without one. But I don't like when a game is difficult, not due to excellent design, but by intentionally removing things that would aid the player. They took out fucking slides. This game would have Mega Man X's difficulty level (which I think is the shining example of optimal difficulty)if you could slide and use charge shots. Also, MM9 is host to the dumbest set of robot masters ever. I mean seriously. Concrete man?

Krelian
09-24-2008, 02:52 PM
I don't know, I think there are some dumber names, like Hard Man or Top Man. But it's not about the names, I think. And also not about graphics. The graphics in Mega Man 9 are a deliberate style choice, as I see it. And although I liked Mega Man 8 it's by no means my favorite of the classic series. That would be Mega Man 3. Mega Man 2 is my second favorite, though, so I don't mind not having slide and charge shot.

If you don't like it, it's too bad. I wish I could play it already and see for myself, but I have to wait for the European XBLA release :/

Coma
09-24-2008, 03:05 PM
I love it. I'm told not to judge before I try it, but you're defending it before you try it. My point with he graphics was not insult them. The graphics are an indication of Capcom's intent. Clone MM2, then change some levels and boss names.

Krelian
09-24-2008, 03:14 PM
It's a reflex. I've seen the MM9 graphics bashing thing way too often by now. You're right, I haven't played it yet, so I cannot say anything about its gameplay. But I can say that I loved Mega Man 2 and don't think it's a bad thing not to have a slide and charge shot.

Roto13
09-24-2008, 05:19 PM
So how much is Mega Man 9? I'm planning to buy it this Thursday with Wipeout HD on the PSN. I really wanna stay under £15 so I still have an even bank balance.

And is the game any good. I've been through the first three Mega Man titles for the NES but didn't go any further. I personally disliked the X series, dunno why. But the first three, especially the first two, are great fun. How does Mega Man 9 compare to those?

The game is designed with Mega Man 2 in mind, so it's more like that one than the rest. It's $10 USD. (But there's $8 worth of DLC coming in October.)

I love it. I'm told not to judge before I try it, but you're defending it before you try it. My point with he graphics was not insult them. The graphics are an indication of Capcom's intent. Clone MM2, then change some levels and boss names.

Nonsense. There are old tricks and traps to bring that intended feeling of nostalgia, but they didn't slouch. This is not Mega Man 2 remix. This is a whole new Mega Man game done in the style of a NES game. There are plenty of new stage design elements (such as the swinging platforms that actually move based on inertia created by Mega Man's movements, or the teleportation blocks that shoot you 30 feet into the air) to keep it fresh and new. It could have been a big nostalgia trip, but it's a lot more than that. This is a true sequel to the original Mega Man series.

The Ceej
09-24-2008, 07:35 PM

That was the very reason I hated Mega Man 8. I had everyone else beat, and when I finally beat that stage, my PS2 and all my games and memory cards were stolen in the robbery, and I was never able to beat that stage again. I hear, "Jump, jump. Slide, slide," in my dreams. And I'm not the only one. I often handed the controller to my brother and friends. None of them were able to beat it.

I went to the PlayStation Store, today, to buy the game, thinking this thread said the 24th. I searched it from top to bottom and in every cranny. After that, it was pointed out that I should go back and look in the nooks because we never use the word cranny by itself. I didn't see it. So, I came back to the thread and realized it comes out tomorrow.

At its price, I think I'll give it a shot. And whoever was asking if it was going to be in widescreen, take a look at this screenshot:
http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.joystiq.com/media/2008/08/mega_man_9_dragon_flicker.jpg

So, yeah. It's going to be in widescreen. Sweet.

Roto13
09-24-2008, 07:47 PM
No it's not. That's just this screenshot (http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i27/rotothirteen/media-1.jpg), cropped.

The Ceej
09-24-2008, 07:53 PM
Yeah, well. Then, I guess we'll have to wait till tomorrow to see.

Should have noticed that the energy bar was missing.

EDIT: It must be time zone-specific because it's quarter to midnight in the US Central time zone and it's not available here yet. I guess I'll try again in fifteen minutes.

FURTHER EDIT: It's now 15 to 1:00, and it's still not available yet. I'm going to bed, but it better be available when I get up in the morning or I'm calling the article a fake.

LAST EDIT (I SWEAR): I've been playing it. Parts are in widescreen, but most of it is in pillarbox. It kind of has the difficulty of Mega Man 2. But what are those shadow Mega Men? They're driving me smurfing crazy. Where do they come from? I keep killing them and they keep coming back.

Levian
09-28-2008, 04:46 PM
Yes, this is definitely a Mega Man game. It's been a while since I've screamed this much at an electronic device.

Loving it, though. Always a hoot trying to figure out who to kill first.

Roto13
09-28-2008, 04:48 PM
Those black Mega Man clones appear when you move past one of those screens in Plug Man's stage. They're kind of a pain because they chase you. If you have the Jewel Satellite, use it in that room and nothing will be able to hurt you.

Levian: I had forgotten what it was like to not know the Robot Masters' weaknesses in advance. xP

sdm42393
09-28-2008, 05:15 PM
As much as I want to play this game I'm WAY too horrible at MegaMan games. It took me all summer to beat the first six games >_>

Rase
09-28-2008, 06:19 PM
I'm stuck on Wily-3 right now and love/hating it as I do any Mega Man game. I certainly think it was fun and tricky, and of course hard as hell. Well worth the $10, though I can't be certain I'll ever beat it. This underwater part with spikes everywhere and almost no room to jump is doing me wrong.

The Ceej
09-28-2008, 07:33 PM
My brother and I sat there staring at the Robot Selection screen for half an hour trying to deduce who killed whom.

We think it works like this.

Jewel kills Concrete.

Magma kills Splash kills Plug.

Tornado kills Hornet.

We can't, however, figure out who Galaxy kills.

We had Galaxy Man down to one to four bars as we were getting killed, so I stocked up on bolts and bought an energy tank, then went back to Galaxy Man, but then, didn't need the tank. He's patternistic. He's probably the first you're supposed to beat.

Roto13
09-28-2008, 07:48 PM
Wrong on all counts. :bigsmile:

The Ceej
09-28-2008, 09:21 PM
Yeah. Well, sheer guts and determination kills them all.

Levian
09-28-2008, 10:37 PM
Oh, so that's what bolts are for.

Killed two of them so far, probably not in the best order.

Coma
09-29-2008, 12:35 AM
Yes, this is definitely a Mega Man game. It's been a while since I've screamed this much at an electronic device.

Black Hole Bombs work too. Fire it in front of you and instantly detonate it. As you run forward, they run straight into it.

Levian
09-29-2008, 12:54 AM
wut? Did I ask a question? xD

Roto13
09-29-2008, 12:58 AM
That looks like he quoted the wrong person. xP

Levian
09-29-2008, 01:27 AM
yeah probably.

My emotional timeline going through Tornado Man's stage:

Horse says:
FUCK FUCK FUCK
Horse says:
>:/
Horse says:
I hate megaman 9
Horse says:
if I get to end of this level and the robot master is NOT weak to any of my weapons I don't know what I will do
Horse says:
FUCK
Horse says:
crap
Horse says:
oh my god I saw the exit
Horse says:
i hope you don't mind I use you to vent
Horse says:
NO
Horse says:
game over :(
Horse says:
YES
Horse says:
YES :D
Horse says:
i got to the boss
Horse says:
it better be weak
Horse says:
YESSSSSSSS
Horse says:
DEAD

and also fbhdjnfabfj in response to the SCISSORS in Hornet Man's stage. I didn't know you could destroy them! :mad2: Would've made my life so much easier if I knew this earlier.

Coma
09-29-2008, 01:35 PM

Black Hole Bombs work too. Fire it in front of you and instantly detonate it. As you run forward, they run straight into it.

Meant to quote you, but grabbed the wrong post. This was in reference to the "dark" Mega Men in Plugman's stage.

In regards to the scissors, Black Hole Bomb again. Its such a practical weapon.

The Ceej
09-29-2008, 08:03 PM
Meant to quote you, but grabbed the wrong post. This was in reference to the "dark" Mega Men in Plugman's stage.

Oh, well, that was me that asked that. Thanks for the tip, though.

KentaRawr!
09-30-2008, 07:59 PM
Black Hole Bombs remind me of the Darkburst from Metroid Prime 2. >_>

NeoCracker
09-30-2008, 09:10 PM
WTF LEv? Your words to manus were like, Identical to you bitching at me about it. XD

Krelian
10-01-2008, 12:01 PM
I just downloaded the 360 version. Loving it! It's a true sequel to the classic series. And I was quite surprised there's a German translation of the story scenes. First time for a Mega Man game. Unnecessary, but interesting detail. Only killed one boss so far.

Levian
10-01-2008, 01:29 PM
WTF LEv? Your words to manus were like, Identical to you bitching at me about it. XD

Oh NeoCracker. :D

Psychotic
10-01-2008, 03:29 PM
WTF LEv? Your words to manus were like, Identical to you bitching at me about it. XDYeah, Levian sent the exact same thing to me, too. I don't know what he thinks he's playing at!

Box art for this is fantastic. Maybe I'll download it if I'm bored. Maybe. ;)

Krelian
10-02-2008, 04:23 PM
I finished the game for the first time today. It's everything I hoped for, great levels, bosses, music and challenging while not impossible. I had lots of fun and I will still have some more fun trying to get some of the achievements :D

Roto13
10-02-2008, 04:55 PM
You have to beat the game at least 30 times to do all of the challenges. xP

Krelian
10-02-2008, 05:10 PM
I know XD I won't be getting all of them, I'll be content with just some of them. At the moment I'm concentrating on the 360 achievements anyway, namely the "Almost Invincible" one, where I can't use continues.

Roto13
10-02-2008, 05:12 PM
That one shouldn't be too tough if you buy a bunch of lives. :P

Krelian
10-02-2008, 05:19 PM
That's what I thought, too :P However, I'm not sure if I can ever get the "Invincible" Achievement. Not dying once :/

Roto13
10-02-2008, 05:22 PM
Yeah, that one would be tricky. Especially for that place with the low spiked ceiling over a bottomless pit in Wily's Castle stage 3. :P If you died there, you'd have to reset and do the last three levels over again.

Krelian
10-02-2008, 05:29 PM
Yeah, I died countless deaths at that place, in that level in general. And the boss was a tough nut to crack, too. But the first two levels I can breeze through without any problem now :P

The Ceej
10-02-2008, 06:26 PM
It's conversations like these that make me glad I still have four robot masters left to beat.

Oh, it's not because I'm bad at the game. Rather, that I don't devote as much time to it as the rest of you. If I had more time to devote, I'd probably give most of it to Final Fantasy II (hence the avatar).

Roto13
10-02-2008, 07:16 PM
The game is like two or three hours long, depending on how much you die.

And that's a Golden Sun avatar.

The Ceej
10-02-2008, 07:47 PM
It's Firion. I found it doing a search, specifically, for Firion. It's just higher quality than the game because he was hand-drawn.

Roto13
10-02-2008, 08:01 PM
http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i27/rotothirteen/7529.jpg

The Ceej
10-02-2008, 08:07 PM
Yeah, well smurf you too. You have to burst my bubble there. I don't remember exactly where I got it, but if I did, the host would be getting a piece of my mind. I'll start looking for another Firion.

In the meantime. You can't deny this one is from Final Fantasy II.

EDIT: Best one I could find. I wanted a version of him from the Origins opening sequence, but I don't have the time to look.

Coma
10-03-2008, 02:03 AM
Thanks Roto, now I have to go play Golden Sun. I'm still stuck on Tornado Man's stage. I am terrible at platforming games.

Roto13
10-06-2008, 06:43 PM
Tornado Man's stage is a pain. xP Even after doing it a few times, it's still pretty tough.

Pro tip: Constantly hopping on those rotating platforms will keep you above them instead of below them.

Proto Man was released as DLC today. He's more different than Capcom was letting on.

The Tanooki » Some things to know about Proto Man in Mega Man 9 (http://www.thetanooki.com/2008/10/06/some-things-to-know-about-proto-man-in-mega-man-9/)

Krelian
10-06-2008, 07:50 PM
Only for Wii so far, though. I'll get Proto Man as soon as he's available for XBLA. Getting Energy Tanks with Proto Man is going to be hard.

The Ceej
10-06-2008, 07:56 PM
Proto Man's not on the PlayStation Store yet. Anyone know when he'll show up?

Roto13
10-06-2008, 09:09 PM
Tomorrow on Xbox, the 9th on PS3.

Krelian
10-06-2008, 09:15 PM
Tomorrow already? Awesome! I thought it was the 10th or something. I wonder how much it will cost, though.

Roto13
10-06-2008, 09:46 PM
Well Proto Man is $2 on the Wii, so I guess it'll be that much for Xbox, too.

The Ceej
10-09-2008, 05:31 PM
Tomorrow on Xbox, the 9th on PS3.

It's the 9th. He's not on the Store. Get your facts wrong?

Roto13
10-09-2008, 05:36 PM
Nope.

Dreddz
10-09-2008, 05:37 PM
The PSN store updates at random times. It'll be up sometime today.

The Ceej
10-09-2008, 05:48 PM
We'll see. And if he's not...

Well, then. If he's not, I'm calling you out.

Krelian
10-09-2008, 05:49 PM
I got all the Achievements of the 360 version today, woohoo :D That was one awesome game.

I also downloaded Proto Man today. It's fun to play as him, but not really necessary. Too bad none of the challenges work in his mode.

Roto13
10-09-2008, 06:21 PM
You got all of those crazy-ass achievements? Pics. Now. xP

We'll see. And if he's not...

Well, then. If he's not, I'm calling you out.

I got it from an official press release. Stop being a weirdo, please.

Krelian
10-09-2008, 06:34 PM
You got all of those crazy-ass achievements? Pics. Now. xP
Not all the in-game challenges, only the Xbox 360 Achievements. So I finished the game without losing a life, without using continue, without killing non-essential enemies, without using E- and M-tanks and without using weapon energy. Another achievement was beating the game 5 times on one day, in less than 60 minutes, beating all 8 robot masters with Mega Buster only, beating a boss without taking damage, beating the game once, killing every type of enemy and killing 1000 enemies. But it was hard nonetheless :p

Of course I didn't do all of them in one run.

I'll try making some pics later ;)

The Ceej
10-09-2008, 09:13 PM
Stop being a weirdo, please.

Don't call me weird. That's offensive. We prefer the term, legally insane.

Coma
10-09-2008, 09:54 PM
Speaking of legally insane, I still can't beat the Wily 2 stage. I don't really die in one place, just all over. Whats the best place to farm screws?

Krelian
10-09-2008, 10:24 PM
Either Plug Man's stage, after the disappearing platform section there's a place where you can use the Jewel Satellite and just wait for the enemies to come out of the tube above you and drop items.

Or, you could go to Concrete Man's stage. In the beginning use Jewel Satellite (a handy weapon) and go back and forth to make the owls with the rocks appear. Just jump inside them, the shield will take care of them. Then collect your loot and repeat. That's what I did to gather screws, I didn't like not doing anything.

@Roto13
So here's a picture. Just shows the gamerscore. Should be enough, since you probably weren't serious anyway ;)
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h226/Krelian_2006/DSC00270.jpg

Roto13
10-09-2008, 10:34 PM
You're one o' them thar autistic savants, aren't ya?

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i27/rotothirteen/Xboxcom_Achievements-AchievementDet.png

Krelian
10-09-2008, 11:35 PM
Oh, thanks. I didn't know where to look for a list like that :p
Well, not that I know of. But I think if you play the game for a while most people could get the achievements. Some of them only seem impossible at first.

The Ceej
10-10-2008, 01:00 AM
So, he showed up finally, at 6:23 PM. What a weird time for him to show up. I'm sorry. Legally insane.

Anyway, Galaxy man is more than twice as easy with Proto Man as he was with Mega Man. One can hope this will be the case will all the robot masters.

Roto13
10-23-2008, 04:54 AM
The rest of the DLC was released on Monday (in the Wii version at least).

Mega Man 9 = challenging

Hero Mode = More challenging with more strategically placed enemies and obstacles

Super Hero Mode = Cheap. Unless you're psychic, you will be flung into pits and walls of spikes and there's nothing you can do about it.

edczxcvbnm
10-23-2008, 08:12 AM
I just played this game the other weekend. It wasn't that hard. I beat it in a few hours. The main thing is trying to figure out who kills what. I probably would have beat it twice as fast had I known that to begin with.

I will eventually buy this on the 360 once I get not so lazy.

*plays megaman 2*

Man that one is still the best by far.

Levian
10-23-2008, 10:39 AM
what I love about my long term memory is that it sucks. I've completely forgotten the order to kill these guys in now. :love: For some reason I always remember the first guy to kill in these games, though. Maybe another run through is in order.

Last time I got to the last boss, but he wouldn't stop killing me so I threw an apple into my backyard very hard. Wrath. Might be a while till I beat it.

Roto13
10-23-2008, 06:24 PM
The last boss is a pain. :P I used like two or three energy tanks on him. xP

The Ceej
10-23-2008, 06:27 PM
Well, now. We've been stuck for a while.

Since so many of you claim to have beaten the game, maybe one of you can help us.

First my brother tried, then I did, then our friend, Stone tried. All three of us have deemed the area impossible to pass.

Wily stage 1, in the area where you come up from the bottom and must get to the top through three horizontal magma bars which do not give you a clear shot. Ever.

EDIT: In addition to a description on how to do this, a video showing you doing it would also be much appreciated if you have the required hardware and software to make one.

Roto13
10-23-2008, 06:37 PM
As soon as you enter the screen, use Rush Coil to your right and jump to the left ladder, then hit the top magma beam with a Concrete Shot.

The Ceej
10-23-2008, 07:33 PM
Concrete shot freezes magma? I tried that. I tried all the weapons. Nothing worked. Video, please? I want to see exactly how I'm supposed to hit it.

KentaRawr!
10-23-2008, 07:38 PM
Concrete shot should freeze it from any angle. Test it out on Magma Man's stage before you try it on the Wily Stage.

Roto13
10-23-2008, 07:48 PM
Concrete shot freezes magma? I tried that. I tried all the weapons. Nothing worked. Video, please? I want to see exactly how I'm supposed to hit it.

YouTube - Mega Man 9 - Wily Castle 1 Time Attack - 2:55:03 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsAhGaghOkw)

The Ceej
10-23-2008, 08:07 PM
Thank you. I'll be sure to show this to Apex and Stone.

By the way, that end boss is badass.

Krelian
10-23-2008, 09:15 PM
When I first reached that place where you're supposed to work your way up with Concrete Shot I didn't even know the weapon could do that kind of thing :p Instead I found out that you can just call Rush Coil to jump up. If you time it right, meaning you have to call Rush the second you enter the screen, you can do it and it's become standard procedure for me. I know from other forums that I'm not the only one who figured that out and I also read that some people who tried it didn't have luck, but I can assure you it works. If you want the "Conservationist" Achievement it's probably a must, but I'm not sure.

Here's a video: YouTube - Going through lazers without concrete shot (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqKwkWPlC3Y)
But the guy in the video does it a little different, more complicated. The first jump he makes goes to the left ladder, which only leads to the Engery Tank, but you can reach the right (middle) ladder as well. Not the one to the far right of course. But if you climb up the middle ladder you can jump to the right side and go on.