PDA

View Full Version : Insomnia, woohoo!!!

Værn
09-20-2008, 12:30 PM
So... I climbed into my bed at around 2:00 and just sat there, trying to sleep and couldn't. It's about 7:30 now... I know that I never fell asleep, because I could hear everything that was going on during that time, like my cat knocking a box of granola bars off of the kitchen table. My brother probably has no idea that I was completely awake while he was eating my Doritos (which I paid a ridiculous price for at the gas station, because there is absolutely nothing to eat around here; I am not a happy Vaern right now).

So, I've been trying to fall asleep for about five and a half hours. Which is not good, because I'm supposed to be waking up in about an hour to meet up with some of my friends to go to Cedar Point. And it isn't just tonight; I've been having a lot of trouble sleeping for perhaps the past week (I'm not sure, I'm horrible at keeping track of time).
I'm wondering what's causing it, because I've had almost no caffeine in several days and have no idea what's keeping me awake now. Perhaps I'm so used to crashing after massive amounts of caffeine and can't fall asleep without it?
Or maybe it's because I listened to that Caramelldansen flash video for over four hours the other day and can't get the catchy tune out of my head for long enough to fall asleep. (I'm not lying, I can't get it out of my head unless I make a serious effort to focus on something else now.)
Or perhaps it's because my somebody tried getting onto my old desktop computer the other day and left the monitor on, venting hot air upwards and killing several of the baby snakes with the heat, which I'm still extremely unhappy about.

Has anybody else been having trouble falling asleep lately?

Sir Lancealot
09-20-2008, 12:37 PM
I used to have trouble getting sleep, but not since a got a new mattress.

Freya
09-20-2008, 02:35 PM
Well normally it takes me like an hour but like right now i'm just getting in from a long night and i'm not tired yet. An hour and a half and it'll be 24 hrs :P

If I have any background noise then it takes me forever to go to sleep. I just can't help focusing on it instead of sleeping o.o it sucks.

leader of mortals
09-20-2008, 02:48 PM
one odd thing about sleep is that your body will always get a certain amount of it. If it takes you forever to fall asleep and no one wakes you up, you will sleep very very long. Maybe until 2 or so. Then, since you just slept, you wont sleep good that day either, and may wake up even later. Its a vicious cycle...

well... this is what happens to me anyway...

Miss_Lulu
09-20-2008, 05:36 PM
D'awwwww Nick.
You come here and you can sleep in my bed. ;););)

Lately, I've been staying up pretty late, and then crashing cause I'm so dead tired.

XxSephirothxX
09-20-2008, 05:43 PM
If you have trouble sleeping for that amount of time, lying in bed is not the best thing to do; it's just encouraging your body to associate bedtime with that unrestful, not-asleep hell.

I went through a pretty awful bout of insomnia a few months where I could not sleep for more than 3 or 4 hours at a time--and once I woke up, I couldn't fall back asleep at all.

Suggestions:
1. Go get exercise. Wear yourself out. If it's too late, maybe start working out in the evening but well before you actually are trying to go to bed.
2. Get in bed and read. If you're really tired you'll start falling asleep no matter what you're reading, but if you're desperate for this to work, make it something kinda dull. A textbook or other school assignment is perfect if you're in school.

Xander
09-20-2008, 06:13 PM
I'm pretty lucky and usually fall asleep within five minutes of getting in bed. The only time I can't sleep is if I've really hyped up thinking about something, good or bad, generally obsessing over something.

Spatvark
09-20-2008, 06:56 PM
I used to always have difficulties getting to sleep, especially during the Summer, since I have absolutely no tolerance for heat whatsoever. Global Warming though, ironically makes it cooler here during the Summer, so I've not had that problem, and having someone to sleep with seems to make it a lot easier as well.

rubah
09-20-2008, 06:59 PM
As they said in Charlotte's Web, "when your stomach is empty and your mind is full, it's always hard to sleep"

Forcing yourself to quiet your mind is pretty difficult, but it might be necessary for sleeping easily.

kikimm
09-20-2008, 11:27 PM
I've also been having sleeping problems, for a long time now, but I know it's mostly because of a skin condition I have developed while down here. When I have problems sleeping for reasons not caused by that, though, what Azar suggested has pretty much always worked for me, especially working out. Do at least 30 minutes of aerobic exercise, and bam, that should really help.

Jowy
09-20-2008, 11:34 PM
YouTube - Home Movies - Insomnia (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCpNWWLjMHo)

I abuse NyQuil when I can't sleep.

Coma
09-20-2008, 11:52 PM
I almost instantly fall asleep, unless I think of my counterpart, then I think of her for like two hours. But yeah, it prolly helps that I work a third shift, and sleep with earplugs in.

Hambone
09-21-2008, 01:37 AM
Pfft, only for the past 14 years of my life. I've had trouble sleeping ever since I can remember.

Dr. Acula
09-21-2008, 04:59 AM
I ALWAYS have trouble sleeping. I think my mind is too active. I get about 1-3 hours of sleep a night, no matter how exhausted I am. Even if I feel ready to drop, I hardly ever actually sleep. And when I finally do sleep, I sleep lightly and wake up at any little sound. And then the process of trying to get to sleep starts all over again.:mad:

Serapy
09-21-2008, 05:56 AM
I`ve played WoW for 26 hours straight, that was insane and I ain't going to do it again.

Jiro
09-21-2008, 07:12 AM
I have trouble sleeping sometimes. Usually due to stressful things overworking my mind. I just listen to music and relax til I fall asleep

Montoya
09-22-2008, 08:32 AM
Nope, when I want to think before going to sleep I lay down facing up. But when I decide it's time for sleep I lay down on my sides and that's The End.

Ouch!
09-22-2008, 09:08 AM
I didn't take my medication that helps with my insomnia tonight when I should have. I've pretty much resigned myself to not sleeping tonight.

CimminyCricket
09-22-2008, 09:36 AM
I have position that I sleep in where I'm just so absolutely comfortable, no matter now not tired I am, within several minutes, I'm usually out. It's just so hard to find, because it has to be perfect.

Caraliz
09-22-2008, 10:59 AM
I always have had trouble with sleep due to my psychosis but when that's dulled down and I have no racing thoughts my body usually just isn't tired, even after a full day's work.

I guess I just don't like sleep until I actually fall asleep.

Rantz
09-22-2008, 11:11 AM
I haven't had sleeping troubles since I got my current bed and mattress. It's a pretty hard bed with pretty much no suspension at all (wooden crossbars) and the mattress is pretty hard as well. It's great for my back and I sleep like a baby. :)