PDA

View Full Version : Survivor Gabon

Laddy
09-21-2008, 03:59 AM
Anyone seeing the next season Thursday?

I am, seeing as its one of the few reality shows with any actual intelligence involved.

Yar
09-21-2008, 04:07 AM
I've never watched Survivor. Maybe I'll try this season.

I liked The Mole because of the intelligence and deception involved. The clues hidden are fun to look for, too. Amazing Race is awesome, too.

Laddy
09-21-2008, 04:24 AM
Survivor has a very deep strategic element to it. It's so deep, I have a notebook ready.

I do recommend it for the more strategic TV fan. It really is rewarding.

What does piss me off though is great strategic players (Todd, Kathy, Yul) be overshadowed by often younger, better looking, and sometimes even stupid people (Ozzy, Rupert [even though I love him], and Colby). But it really is nice, and the cast is excellent.

Read some from its official site (http://www.cbs.com/primetime/survivor/).

DMKA
09-21-2008, 04:34 AM
I watched an episode or two of the very first survivor. I never saw what the big deal was or what was so entertaining about it.

Also, I'll never watch it out of spite because it's initial popularity is responsible for the spawn of all these crappy "reality" shows taking over television.

Yar
09-21-2008, 04:36 AM
Also, I'll never watch it out of spite because it's initial popularity is responsible for the spawn of all these crappy "reality" shows taking over television.

I'd blame that more on COPS and The Real World.

Laddy
09-21-2008, 04:52 AM

I'd blame that more on COPS and The Real World.Agreed. Show like TAR, Survivor, and The Mole are intelligent, well-thought, and legitmately enjoyable.

Most others are shameful...

Namelessfengir
09-22-2008, 12:50 AM
you cant blame cops because thats around 25 years old i saw some of the first survivor and because of that i've avoided the rest like the plague.

i know its weird nowadays but i like my tv to have this very special thing called... a script... often associated with a plot

DMKA
09-22-2008, 01:02 AM

COPS had been on for over a decade, and the The Real World had been around for eight or so years before Survivor came about. It was when Survivor came out and got super popular that a ton of others followed upon seeing it's success and took over tv. Now they're on every single channel at sometime or another during the day. I was born in 1985 and I can tell you as can anyone else of a similar age, that television was not filled with these stupid reality shows. A handful existed, but they were the primary thing that was on tv. Until Survivor's success that is.

Blaming COPS and The Real World is senseless.

Laddy
09-22-2008, 01:38 AM

COPS had been on for over a decade, and the The Real World had been around for eight or so years before Survivor came about. It was when Survivor came out and got super popular that a ton of others followed upon seeing it's success and took over tv. Now they're on every single channel at sometime or another during the day. I was born in 1985 and I can tell you as can anyone else of a similar age, that television was not filled with these stupid reality shows. A handful existed, but they were the primary thing that was on tv. Until Survivor's success that is.

I don't think you get the point. It's the quality of the show. At least for me.

EDIT-BTW, I don't see how debating the origins of reality TV contributes to the topic.

Del Murder
09-22-2008, 02:04 AM
Well it is true that Survivor did spawn all the copycat reality game shows. If you follow television in that era then I think that is clear to see. Also it is true that this is off topic so let's get back to it.

It doesn't take anything away from Survivor, which is a good show.

I like when the focus more on the survival aspect than the drama. I like seeing all the cool places they put these people. Fans vs. Favorites was pretty good so this one will be hard to top. If there are literally gorillas and crap at their camps then that would be pretty cool.

DMKA
09-22-2008, 02:30 AM

I don't think you get the point. It's the quality of the show. At least for me.

EDIT-BTW, I don't see how debating the origins of reality TV contributes to the topic.

Oh whoops my bad. Let me contribute to the topic by saying Survivor sucks like a Hoover.

Good day.

Laddy
09-29-2008, 04:11 AM
I saw the first episode. Safe to say I was suprised by GC's inventiveness, I think he should remain leader and Fang might actually win something!

Bunny
09-29-2008, 03:57 PM
The best Survivor contestant in the history of the show was Jon Dalton. Until there is another person that plays the game in his fashion, I don't think I would enjoy it.

Laddy
09-29-2008, 09:11 PM
The best Survivor contestant in the history of the show was Jon Dalton. Until there is another person that plays the game in his fashion, I don't think I would enjoy it.I disagree. Fairplay played a good strategic game, but the ultimate winner of his season (Pearl Islands) Sandra Diaz-Twine the so-called 'coattails rider' pretty much organized voting out his alliance-mate Burton, thus ending the overatted saga of Fairplay. Besides, even if he did survive the final elimination, he wouldn't have won. Even Lilian, yes LILIAN, would've got more votes than that smurfer (According to the jury at the end.) . Being slimy is good, but slimy to the point of unvotable is a severe flaw. (i.e. Rob Mariano in All-Stars)

Besides, Kathy from Marquesas, Yul from Cook Islands, and Todd from China did far better, IMO.

McLovin'
09-29-2008, 09:45 PM
I prefer the Mole but don't really watch Survivor often.

Bunny
09-29-2008, 09:55 PM
Besides, Kathy from Marquesas, Yul from Cook Islands, and Todd from China did far better, IMO.

I rest my case.

Laddy
09-29-2008, 10:04 PM

I rest my case.
Tell me, what did Fairplay do that desrves special mention? He's certain a snmart player, but not the best, IMO.

So, why Fairplay?

Bunny
09-29-2008, 10:19 PM
He was different from your average Survivor contestant. He didn't go in with a strategy, nor did he stick to any specific one. He was, above else, entertaining to watch. He may not have won the game, but that doesn't necessarily count him out as one of the better contestants. I enjoyed watching him for those reasons, the other people on the island (with the exception of Rupert) were boring to watch.

Laddy
09-29-2008, 10:27 PM
He was different from your average Survivor contestant. He didn't go in with a strategy, nor did he stick to any specific one. He was, above else, entertaining to watch. He may not have won the game, but that doesn't necessarily count him out as one of the better contestants. I enjoyed watching him for those reasons, the other people on the island (with the exception of Rupert) were boring to watch.
Oh, I thought you were referring to strategy. Oops.