PDA

View Full Version : Serj Tankian- Elect the Dead

Goldenboko
09-21-2008, 10:52 PM
I finally got around to listening to his solo album and I was really, really impressed. Its reminds me a lot of System of a Down, but minuses out the crappy songs of theirs when they're just screaming incoherently. I might actually enjoy it more then any of System of a Down's albums (I can actually sit through beginning to end and enjoy basically all of it). The keyboard work at the beginning of the songs is wonderful, his solo album has definitely made the top of my list.

Discuss. :)

Momiji
09-21-2008, 10:57 PM
I finally got around to listening to his solo album and I was really, really impressed. Its reminds me a lot of System of a Down, but minuses out the crappy songs of theirs when they're just screaming incoherently. I might actually enjoy it more then any of System of a Down's albums (I can actually sit through beginning to end and enjoy basically all of it). The keyboard work at the beginning of the songs is wonderful, his solo album has definitely made the top of my list.

Discuss. :)

As a musician, I like him.

I can't stand his voice though.

Tama2
09-22-2008, 02:57 AM
His voice is smurfing great.

Avarice-ness
09-22-2008, 03:41 AM
I always loved SoaD solely because of Serj. When I realized that he had his own solo album I was like "ASDFGHJ" and ran out and got it.

I love it to death. It has aspects of music that were not in SoaD, such as orchestras, instruments other than synths, guitars, and drums. The over all composition to the songs are beautiful.

While I was pretty emo when SoaD broke up, Serj's cd makes it completely worth it.

CimminyCricket
09-22-2008, 03:50 AM
SoaD is broken up? This isn't just a break? D:

Spatvark
09-22-2008, 04:02 AM
it's an indefinite hiatus. Sometimes bands come back from it, e.g. The Mighty Mighty Bosstones, and sometimes (thankfully in some cases) they don't, e.g. Blink-182. As for SoaD? I wouldn't be surprised to see another album from them in the future, but between Daron and John's Scars on Broadway, Serj's solo career, and Shavo's Achozen, don't expect it anytime soon.

CimminyCricket
09-22-2008, 04:11 AM
Ah, well, I'll hope for the best. ^_^

rubah
09-22-2008, 04:12 AM
you inspired me to dl it. Haven't heard anything earth shattering yet, but I always like serj's singing

Cleric
09-23-2008, 03:14 PM
Serj has such an amazing voice that the cut throat screaming just totally kills it, so anything sans the screaming is great

Bunny
09-23-2008, 05:52 PM
What's so great about System of a Down?

Goldenboko
09-24-2008, 02:51 AM

Serj.

Ryth
09-24-2008, 03:17 AM

Nothing, really.

Shoeberto
09-24-2008, 03:55 AM
Personally I like the way they can make songs with goofy vocals while making a point in them. It's kind of an interesting contrast. Serj plays a large part in that, of course. He's got a few ways of singing that make himself and the band stand out from a lot of others.

Coma
09-25-2008, 07:45 AM
it's an indefinite hiatus. Sometimes bands come back from it, e.g. The Mighty Mighty Bosstones, and sometimes (thankfully in some cases) they don't, e.g. Blink-182. As for SoaD? I wouldn't be surprised to see another album from them in the future, but between Daron and John's Scars on Broadway, Serj's solo career, and Shavo's Achozen, don't expect it anytime soon.

Please comeback GSY!BE. Also, his voice is great, but the rest of it is just meh.

Badge
09-25-2008, 08:51 AM
It was a shame, a few weeks ago I went to see Serj live at the Birmingham Academy and I hated it, SoAD are one of my all time favourite bands and I think his solo album is really quite catchy. But when i got to the academy I couldn't hear a word he was singing! The sound engineers fucked up that night, then again the sound at teh Academy has always been ball and then again I am a fussy twit when it comes to sound at gigs! :D

Spatvark
09-25-2008, 11:32 AM
Please comeback GSY!BE. Also, his voice is great, but the rest of it is just meh.

GY!BE utterly infuriates me. They're clearly utterly awesome musicians, and I think what they've recored is excellent, except... I love vocals. I'm certainly not anti-instrumental - my favourite track ever is Metallica's Orion - but I'm always left wondering what their tunes would be like with lyrics. It just really bugs me.

Monol
09-25-2008, 05:02 PM
Serj is the freakin man. Im real mixed with his solo stuff (**System fan**) but I guess id lean more to "like" over "dislike". Some of his songs are pretty darn groovy.

On a much cooler note...serj is coming out with a musical I hear! Pass the word all and dicuss/investigate/dance!

Zeldy
09-25-2008, 05:22 PM

Everything. They're like my favourite, favourite band!

I absolutely love Serj, aswell as Scars on Broadway. They're all in my favourites list, but I will actually cry if SoaD don't come back.

Mitch
09-28-2008, 04:18 AM
He had Larry LaLonde (of Primus) with him for a while. This gets my respect.