PDA

View Full Version : Confirmation...

Wolf Kanno
09-22-2008, 06:37 AM
So I was reading the recent issue of games TM magazine when I was reading the article from their correspondent in Japan. He was talking about SE and XIII going multi-platform. The correspondent feels that perhaps SE knows that the numbered FFs no longer carry the prestige they used to and cites a story where Yoichi Wada is handing out the first copy of FFXII to a Japanese kid and the kid was allowed to ask him a question and he asks him if he would remake VII for the PS3 and then apparently leaves without his copy of XII...

I was wondering if anyone else had heard of this story before?

Karellen
09-22-2008, 07:45 AM
I have. Tim Rogers mentioned it in one of his articles (http://www.actionbutton.net/?p=239) on Action Button Dot Net.

It's depressing but not entirely unexpected.

Wolf Kanno
09-22-2008, 06:34 PM
I have. Tim Rogers mentioned it in one of his articles (http://www.actionbutton.net/?p=239) on Action Button Dot Net.

It's depressing but not entirely unexpected.

You know, at first I thought it was just a funny rumor but now... :cry:

the AJman
09-23-2008, 12:49 AM
I have never heard that story, I don't think its an example of SquareEnix jumping the shark or anything like that, I think its an example of a fan whose living in the past and probably believes that VII is all that there is to the series.

I don't think Final Fantasy has lost its place at all. X is the second best selling game in the series and like every other title it got fantastic rating from magazines, critics, and t.v shows. The same thing with XII, it is the fourth best selling game in the series, and earn damn near perfect scores in magazines and such, and XI is one of the biggest MMOs in the world, I'm almost willing to say that its second only to WoW. Many of the spin offs and sequals/prequals do very well in terms of sales. I don't see a drop in square's quality or position. In the real world I almost never hear a single negative thing about the FF series, the only time I ever hear anything bad is when I come to forums like these.

Karellen
09-23-2008, 01:22 AM
I don't think I've met a single fan in real life who doesn't hate at least one game in the series.

black orb
09-23-2008, 01:49 AM
Yoichi Wada is handing out the first copy of FFXII to a Japanese kid and the kid was allowed to ask him a question and he asks him if he would remake VII for the PS3 and then apparently leaves without his copy of XII...

>>> lol.
Kids are stupid anyways.

CimminyCricket
09-23-2008, 01:57 AM
That kid especially, I wish someone that made my games would hand the game to me personally.

Bolivar
09-23-2008, 02:59 AM
^ I know, right?

I wouldn't say FF lost any of its brand-recognition, and I would hardly say it lost any of its credibility. FFXII is exemplary of both.

But I would say perhaps that the release of each game isn't the "OMG! WHATS IT LIKE!?!?" event it was during the VII-X era. I remember back in the days if you were the first one to get those games, everyone else would be asking you about it, coming over to watch it, check out the battles, videos, characters, stories and such. Now, not so much. My one Madden/MLBTheShow loving roommate asked me about it last year when he saw me playing it, but that's about it.

I think it has more to do with the last two games not being as out there as those 4 blockbusters were, and the fact that XIII isn't coming anytime soon. I think when the time comes, the first "next-gen" FF will make some noise, maybe put them back on the map a little.

Props for the link, Karellen, I enjoy Tim Rogers' writing. But some of the narratives he gives about developers as if he was there... well, that's for another thread.

Wolf Kanno
09-23-2008, 05:29 AM
But I would say perhaps that the release of each game isn't the "OMG! WHATS IT LIKE!?!?" event it was during the VII-X era. I remember back in the days if you were the first one to get those games, everyone else would be asking you about it, coming over to watch it, check out the battles, videos, characters, stories and such. Now, not so much. My one Madden/MLBTheShow loving roommate asked me about it last year when he saw me playing it, but that's about it.

I miss those days myself, but for my group it died when the PS2 era started. I was the only one interested in X and everyone else just waited and picked it up months later. Oddly enough, my friend who was the least interested ended up liking it the most and I, the one the most interested, ended up disliking the game the most. I think the PS2 era really threw fans for a loop. X was released and then XI was an MMO which was unheard of to have a long running numbered console series jump to Online gaming which was not exactly something I felt the fanbase completely felt was the right move. I personally enjoy it though :D.

Then XII kept getting delayed and in the long drought of no official numbered FFs we got the first direct sequel, Kingdom Hearts, and remakes. For some, they went five years without an FF. Throw in XII own bombshells of awesome design and I can see how the fanbase isn't as strong as it used to be.

I still remember chatting with friends about VIII and IX and how we had challenges to see who could finish the game first and all the spoilers... I miss those days...:cool:

sdm42393
09-23-2008, 11:27 AM
Is till remember chatting with friends about VIII and IX and how we had challenges to see who could finish the game first and all the spoilers... I miss those days...:cool:

I remember doing the same for IX... *sigh* :(

Roto13
09-23-2008, 09:43 PM
That kid especially, I wish someone that made my games would hand the game to me personally.

Yes. xP

scrumpleberry
09-23-2008, 09:51 PM
Oh well. Personally I think the kid had every right to do that, it doesn't make him any less of an ungrateful brat but it doesn't really bother me at all. Hey, at least he's thinking for himself a little instead of just fangasming.

LunarWeaver
09-24-2008, 12:44 AM
What a dumb kid. Children are only good for looking scary or holding hands for my signatures. Otherwise they should just not exist.

I still get quite excited for each new Final Fantasy title. I don't get as excited as I did before simply because I am older now. If only I had 100% less crotchety!

Jessweeee♪
09-24-2008, 01:38 AM
Or maybe the kid just likes FFVII and wasn't interested in FFXII's story.

Roto13
09-24-2008, 01:58 AM
He hadn't even played Final Fantasy XII yet. It was the first copy ever. Kid's a jerk.

Karellen
09-24-2008, 02:13 AM
He has brought shame on the great Japanese empire.

Jessweeee♪
09-28-2008, 08:22 PM
I almost didn't get it either, didn't seem like my kind of story :p

But after the second playthrough I loved it n.n

I Don't Need A Name
09-28-2008, 09:16 PM

FFXII had a story?

Vivisteiner
09-28-2008, 09:55 PM
I don't think I've met a single fan in real life who doesn't hate at least one game in the series.
You should meet me.

Wolf Kanno
09-28-2008, 10:52 PM

FFXII had a story?

Why yes it does :cool: