PDA

View Full Version : Oy!

~*~Celes~*~
09-22-2008, 08:08 PM
I got the usual "automatic updates for your computer are now available. Please click here to install updates." So I clicked. "Service Pack 3" okay, must be important! (BTW, I use XP)

And ever since I've been having troubles =[

Typically it's the blue screen of death popping up saying something something, and then I restart, sign back on, and an error message pops up saying a file with a name that's a bajillion miles long is missing.

Does service pack 3 have, like, serious bugs or is it something else?

This didn't start until I installed it by the way...

EDIT: While I'm at it, is there any way to reverse some file deletions done by Spybot: Search and Destroy? x_x

~*~Celes~*~
09-23-2008, 09:26 PM
So does that mean no one knows how to fix it? =\

rubah
09-23-2008, 09:51 PM
I've heard that sp3 wasn't worth the dl, but you might try slipstreaming sp2 and just reinstalling that (after backing up files)

XxSephirothxX
09-24-2008, 12:44 AM
I believe service pack 3 is widely considered to be smooth sailin' and has quite a few fixes and improvements for under-the-hood XP improvements. I've been running it since it came out no problemo. I think it's a tad bit faster. But that doesn't fix your problem.

Try reinstalling it, and/or try system restore and then installing it again. Or try hunting down the location of the missing file and googling the problem to see what can cause it and how to fix it.

~*~Celes~*~
09-24-2008, 05:07 AM
ok, thanks =]

Also, what is slipstreaming?

rubah
09-24-2008, 05:12 AM
slipstreaming is making an install cd from service pack updates so you don't have to redownload them all when you reinstall whatever version of xp you have

~*~Celes~*~
09-24-2008, 06:38 AM
oh, ok.

And, I would google the missing file but the name of it is, seriously, really long. I wouldn't be able to remember it.