PDA

View Full Version : CD mounting issue

nik0tine
09-23-2008, 05:23 AM
I am using poweriso to install a program that I torrented LEGALLY. I lost one of the install disks and I bought a new computer so I can't install this program without torrenting in. What I have done is legal though so please do not close this thread.

Anyhow, everything works just fine up until I have to insert the second install disk. I know how to mount it to a virtual CD drive but my computer wants to look in my default CD drive, which is D. I need to get the install program to look in the virtual H drive rather than my actual D drive. How can this be done?

I tried to change H to D in power ISO but that didnt work. It said that D was already in use and that the letter "I" would be used instead.
Is it possible to change my computer preferences to make H my default CD drive or something? Perhaps there is a way to virtually mount something to a non virtual cd drive like my D drive?

Help is appreciated. Thanks.

Shoeberto
09-23-2008, 05:55 AM
Try this
How to change drive letter assignments in Windows XP (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307844)
then change PowerISO's virtual drive to D:

Yamaneko
09-23-2008, 06:24 AM
What I have done is legal though so please do not close this thread.
No it isn't. Unless the publisher is providing the torrent and explicitly allows end-users to download their product through such means then what you've done is illegal, regardless of whether or not you've purchased the software in the past. Don't make excuses for piracy.

o_O
09-23-2008, 06:25 AM
If you don't want to mess about with drive letter assignments (which is pretty straightforward, really :p), then you can burn the ISOs to CDs and just chuck them in your drive as normal.

Serapy
09-23-2008, 08:43 AM
No it isn't. Unless the publisher is providing the torrent and explicitly allows end-users to download their product through such means then what you've done is illegal, regardless of whether or not you've purchased the software in the past. Don't make excuses for piracy.

It's legal in some countries, due to different jurisdictions, though. Unless... I'm wrong.

If the above advices don't work out for you, try using Daemon Tools. It's a great program.

Rostum
09-23-2008, 02:24 PM

It's legal in some countries, due to different jurisdictions, though. Unless... I'm wrong.

I think you are wrong, but I'd have to look it up. Anyway, I don't think anyone should have to justify downloading a torrent file, as long as that's all you tell us then that's all we'd need to know - as there are many cases where torrents are used for legal purposes.

Anyway, I'd just burn it to a CD or DVD and run it that way. I mean you could try and figure out a way to do it with the virtual drives (although I have never come into that problem before), but in the end you might save a lot of time by just burning it. Hmm, have you tried de-mounting the first disk, and mounting the second in the same virtual drive, when it prompts for the second?

Rantz
09-23-2008, 02:45 PM

Lots of publishers distribute their software through torrented image files.

Aerith's Knight
09-23-2008, 05:46 PM
If you have the original CD and a CD key it is not illegal to download a cd-image.

It is the no-cd crack and the stolen cd-keys that make it illegal. So does the intention to sell it for money.

http://icanhascheezburger.files.wordpress.com/2008/02/nbc_the_more_you_know.jpg

Also, Damean Tools should fix that problem. It will show up as a virtual drive.

This is all as far as I know, of course. But nobody will arrest you for borrowing a game for the installation

Mirage
09-23-2008, 09:11 PM
Actually no. The copyright holder decides who is allowed to make a copy of the software. Unless they tell all the seeders that it's ok for them to copy bits of teh software and send it over the internet, it's illegal.