PDA

View Full Version : Lost Odyssey

erikramza
09-24-2008, 10:40 AM
Just put it in the box. what can you peoples tell me about it? worth while at all?
rofl at the gold knights at the beginning.

Markus. D
09-24-2008, 11:39 AM
I imagine it's worth for the story.

I got bored however... the gameplay is so... SLOW and Holme's Style fun ;_;

I hate DQ's gameplay too (as you can imagine), but the actual storyline kept my attention spans upon spans longer with LO.

DMKA
09-24-2008, 01:23 PM
I loved it. I really didn't like the battle system at first but quicky became accustomed to it. The story and characters were great.

My only beef was the ridiculous load times and how much it froze on me. And it's terrible packaging.

Bunny
09-24-2008, 02:30 PM
My only beef was the ridiculous load times and how much it froze on me. And it's terrible packaging.

Terrible packaging, yes. Long load times and freezing problems? I never once experienced either of them. Load times were pretty standard for me.

The storyline is about the best there can be in an RPG, I think. It gets a little cookie cutter later on, but the ending is still pretty good. The combat system never bothered me, it was a nice change of standard turn-based boring. I also liked the skill/Immortal system. The game itself looks so damn beautiful, although it's probably already been improved on by other games.

All-in-all, it's a good game and worth a play through at least once.

Quindiana Jones
09-24-2008, 08:58 PM
Easily one of the greatest RPG storylines. And, without a doubt, some of (if not the) greatest in-game literature you will ever read. It is worth getting every single one of the Thousand Years of Dreams. I kid you not. Look up where to get them on t'internet before you start, just so you don't miss any.

Ouch!
09-24-2008, 09:18 PM
It's one of my favorite games ever.

erikramza
09-24-2008, 11:05 PM
Sweet. Ok. All the feedback, the nifty dark (so far) dream sequences, and a godly run button that makes up for the extra reading. I could get into this.

agrt on the packaging...

LunarWeaver
09-25-2008, 03:26 AM
I thought it was nice but nothing essential. I am a bitchy bitch when it comes to loading times, too. I don't have the patience to sit through 17-20 second loading times every time I'm in battle. But I doubt that bothers most people.

I would still recommend it to anyone who gets a hard-on for RPGs. Watching Kaim's rogue, immovable strand of hair that slithers down his face is worth it alone!

DMKA
09-25-2008, 03:34 AM

Terrible packaging, yes. Long load times and freezing problems?

Yes, when I played it would take forever to finish loading and sometimes wouldn't finish and would just freeze on whatever character's loading screen. I'm not the only one either. You can do a google search and find tons of postings about it from other people. And my 360 was brand new (it's the game I bought with the 360).

Though "brand new" doesn't necessarily mean anything when it comes to the 360 functioning properly (durr hurr). :D

Markus. D
09-25-2008, 08:41 AM
I just get frame slowdown... I don't mind loading times.

But yeah, they put way to much effort into the sheer detail of everything xD

Bunny
09-25-2008, 03:50 PM

Yes, when I played it would take forever to finish loading and sometimes wouldn't finish and would just freeze on whatever character's loading screen. I'm not the only one either. You can do a google search and find tons of postings about it from other people. And my 360 was brand new (it's the game I bought with the 360).

Though "brand new" doesn't necessarily mean anything when it comes to the 360 functioning properly (durr hurr). :D

I did as you said and read the first three or four results (search "lost odyssey load times"). The posts were from Kotaku, the Gamespot Message Board, an IGN Review, and a Game Plasma review. The first two supported the load times as being a tolerable 8-13 seconds. IGN made mention that it varies from a few seconds to a minute for battles and cut scenes. The Game Plasma review is the only one that comes outright and complains about horrid load times. The IGN review can be explained by the reviewer getting an advanced copy, which did have problems with load times. Game Plasma might also be explained by the same thing. In the final retail version of the game, the load times seemed to be fixed in almost every way (remaining at around 8-13 seconds which is standard).

The Gamespot Message Board post had several people agreeing with the original poster who stated he had no problems with the load times.

I have done this search two or three times before and the results remained about the same each time.

Krelian
09-25-2008, 04:27 PM
I didn't have freezes or load problems myself, I thought the loading times were alright. But I did read that others had similar problems, I don't know what the cause might be, perhaps other disk drives? As I know, there are three different drives used in the console.

The game is awesome, btw.

DMKA
09-25-2008, 11:43 PM

I did as you said and read the first three or four results (search "lost odyssey load times"). The posts were from Kotaku, the Gamespot Message Board, an IGN Review, and a Game Plasma review. The first two supported the load times as being a tolerable 8-13 seconds. IGN made mention that it varies from a few seconds to a minute for battles and cut scenes. The Game Plasma review is the only one that comes outright and complains about horrid load times. The IGN review can be explained by the reviewer getting an advanced copy, which did have problems with load times. Game Plasma might also be explained by the same thing. In the final retail version of the game, the load times seemed to be fixed in almost every way (remaining at around 8-13 seconds which is standard).

The Gamespot Message Board post had several people agreeing with the original poster who stated he had no problems with the load times.

I have done this search two or three times before and the results remained about the same each time.

Thirteen seconds is an acceptable load time now?

Bunny
09-25-2008, 11:49 PM

Ignoring the numbers 8-12 are? 8-13 is pretty standard if you ask me. Saying otherwise is a personal problem and you should deal with it yourself without blaming game companies who do not provide you with instant results.

DMKA
09-25-2008, 11:56 PM

Ignoring the numbers 8-12 are? 8-13 is pretty standard if you ask me. Saying otherwise is a personal problem and you should deal with it yourself without blaming game companies who do not provide you with instant results.

No, I'll just blame Microsoft like everyone else, thanks. :D

Bunny
09-25-2008, 11:58 PM
No, I'll just blame Microsoft like everyone else, thanks. :D

I'm glad you are aspiring to the great heights of typical idiocy. Bravo.

erikramza
09-30-2008, 09:26 AM
This game was fucking great. I recommend it to anyone.

Rostum
09-30-2008, 09:46 AM
If only I could afford an Xbox360 right now, it'd be the first game I play.

erikramza
09-30-2008, 09:54 AM
If only I could afford an Xbox360 right now, it'd be the first game I play.

If you didn't live way the fuck in fucking Australia, I'd probably let you borrow it when I was done with post game things.
But I can't. Because you do.
Ask Paul Knox! I let that guy borrow my PS2. Wild, wild stuff man. WILD STUFF.

I'm slightly intoxicated. Thank you spellcheck.

Caraliz
09-30-2008, 10:09 AM
Play The Darkness. Then you'll get to see an actual live human heart getting eaten. Yes, it is actual footage!

erikramza
09-30-2008, 10:25 AM
LIVE footage, from REAL life!?
my god. I hope someone made alot of money, somehow.

Caraliz
09-30-2008, 10:27 AM
It turned out to be a canine and they made it into an episode of Law & Order no one watched. Therefore, a lot of money was made.

erikramza
09-30-2008, 10:36 AM
I like money! It's okay!