PDA

View Full Version : Public transport

Rye
09-26-2008, 03:26 AM
Last week with Huxley, we spent a lot of time taking public transport. Being someone who is accustomed to driving everywhere, it was kind of a shock! It was the first time I ever took a bus. I actually really like it. On this bus, Hux and I would listen to music or have really deep conversations about the election, or literature, or the future. It was kind of weird, because everyone else was discussing partying or buying potato chips or something. But overall, the bus was cool. It was cheap and very clean. We only had one very mean bus driver, who started yelling at me like a psycho. :Oo:

We also took the AMTRAK, which was pretty cool, I liked it there, and so did Huxley, when he wasn't overwhelmingly motion sick. I prefer the LIRR, tbh, but both are cool. We played on my computer during it, wrote, and editted photos and such. <3

He took the subway for the first time, and he thought it was okay. The subway isn't so bad when it isn't summertime. Waiting for it to come was fun, we played rock paper and scissors.

Most of the time, we took the taxi. I love taxis, we got a really cool cab drivers, who told us about their adventures in earthquakes and blizzards and stuff! Huxley was motion sick on there too though, poor boy! ;;

Overall, the train is my favorite!

Do you like public transport? Which is your favorite?

Madame Adequate
09-26-2008, 03:36 AM
My only real problem with the subway was that it distinctly lacked anything approaching a schedule.

I don't really like travelling much, it takes time away from stuff I'd rather do. But RIPTA buses were astonishingly good. Mostly on time, unbelievably cheap (I was telling Dan about it earlier and he just laughed at the concept of getting from Leicester to Nottingham for $1.75 (90p). You can't even get from my house to Leicester town center for 90p.)

I also don't enjoy travel much because, as Jess said, I get motion sick. It's better than it used to be, but it's still pretty bad. Well, it's better because it doesn't make me feel as bad as it used to - it's worse because it seems to be caused by more things now.

Spatvark
09-26-2008, 03:44 AM
I like public transport, in that it's transport where I'm not driving. Getting behind the wheel scares the bejeezus out of me. That said, there are times when public transport is a horror, most notably in the dead of summer. I remember getting stuck on a subway platform in London at about two in the afternoon, with approximately three hundred other people. It was not fun.

Shlup
09-26-2008, 03:44 AM
I like to take the train places! When we went to Alaska we got to ride on a big fancy train and it was awesome. I want to take a train to Seattle soon.

Rye
09-26-2008, 03:45 AM
The train that I took in Italy was actually the nicest train I ever took. It was big, lots of space, huge windows for looking at the scenery!

Yar
09-26-2008, 03:47 AM
I'm an elitist, so public transportation with the "common folk" is simply a no-no.

Roto13
09-26-2008, 03:56 AM
I used to take the Vancouver skytrain to work every day. It was pretty awesome. It was like riding the monorail in the Simpsons. :P

Yar
09-26-2008, 03:57 AM
I used to take the Vancouver skytrain to work every day. It was pretty awesome. It was like riding the monorail in the Simpsons. :P

"I call the big one Bitey." :lol:

kikimm
09-26-2008, 03:58 AM
The public transport down here in New Zealand is really http://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gif. Buses are often really late, or really early, or sometimes never even show up at all. And they break down. So every time we've had to take the bus I've been real anxious the whole time cause you never know what's going to happen.

Sweden was a totally different story. Buses, trains and things, arrived *exactly*, to the minute, when they said they would, it was so great.

Aaaaaand back home where I live in California, public transport is pretty much nonexistent.

Anyways, even when all that stuff runs great it's not so fun for me because I too have extremely bad motion sickness, and it also is getting worse for me it seems like! Before, I could sit in the back of a car and as long as I was looking at the road or not trying to read a book I'd be fine, but now if I'm in the back no matter what it seems like, I feel as though I am going to barf barf barf. Ugh.

Rye
09-26-2008, 04:01 AM
I'm an elitist, so public transportation with the "common folk" is simply a no-no.

That's how I used to feel! But it's actually kind of fun! I still prefer my nice car though.

Madame Adequate
09-26-2008, 04:24 AM

You're in America. The "common folk" have cars.

Tavrobel
09-26-2008, 04:31 AM

Depends on how much you like dealing with traffic. But you'll inevitably have a car anyways.

I don't like public transportation that much, but I've yet to go into the city on a daily basis. Plus, I'm dealing with Metro.

Momiji
09-26-2008, 04:37 AM

Depends on how much you like dealing with traffic. But you'll inevitably have a car anyways.

I don't like public transportation that much, but I've yet to go into the city on a daily basis. Plus, I'm dealing with Metro.

I'd honestly rather take the bus to school so I wouldn't have to worry as much about gas prices, but it doesn't come anywhere near my mom's or dad's house. So I'm forced to drive. :p

Roto13
09-26-2008, 04:40 AM
I'm seriously never ever buying a car. I'm going to live in downtown Toronto and take public transit everywhere because owning a car is like owning a separate family you have to constantly be feeding and taking care of. Screw that crap.

rubah
09-26-2008, 04:54 AM
I like to ride my bike around campus! And the campus has started a bike sharing program like they have in some big cities, and people are actually using them! There's also razorback transit which goes to certain places in town and is free.

I used the bus extensively in besançon, they had a nice website with their up-to-the-minute time table

Ramza Beoulve
09-26-2008, 05:08 AM
When you have been living in Mexico after so much time, you learn to hate public transportation (Specially if you are driving next to them)

rubah
09-26-2008, 05:28 AM
is it true that in mexico, people will just stop their cars and talk to people they're going by if they know them? That's what my spanish teacher said xD

Bunny
09-26-2008, 05:42 AM
is it true that in mexico, people will just stop their cars and talk to people they're going by if they know them? That's what my spanish teacher said xD

That's true in Colorado. It makes me rage and urinate everywhere.

I do not like public transportation. I have ridden a public transport bus once and it broke down in the middle of a shady neighborhood in San Diego. They had no idea what was wrong with it.

My only other experience with public transportation is riding the Amtrek from Seattle to San Diego. It broke down four or five times on the way there.

DarkLadyNyara
09-26-2008, 05:43 AM
I can't drive, so I like public transportation. :) And it's a lot cheaper and more reliable here in Bellingham than it was in San Bernardino.

Ramza Beoulve
09-26-2008, 06:16 AM
is it true that in mexico, people will just stop their cars and talk to people they're going by if they know them? That's what my spanish teacher said xDYeah, that's true in some places.

But that's not as annoying than when two drivers, in opposing directions, stop to talk about anything that actually could be said anywhere else, specially if they can do it on a highly-transited street.

It's more common if they are bus drivers.

XxSephirothxX
09-26-2008, 06:16 AM
I would not say I get any special enjoyment out of riding the bus to campus, but with the exception of crowded days I don't mind it. It's free and fairly convenient. Mostly it's free.

When I was a kid I loved the subway system at the airport. If I move to a big city, I will probably ride the subway a lot.

Lynx
09-26-2008, 06:36 AM
i take the njt into new york city every week. then i often take the 1 or the E subway to tribeca. depends on how much i want to walk. if i go tot he city on certain days of the week i have to take the bus from the closest town to another train station since they do work on the tracks certain days. other then that i drive myself no taxi's for me.

Jiro
09-26-2008, 07:14 AM
Bus rides are fun, unless they are super cramped. Trains aren't so fun, because I hate the screeching and swaying. It just scares me :(

Rantz
09-26-2008, 08:36 AM
Train Train, Take Us Away ♪ Take Us Away, Far Away ♫ To The Future, We Will Go ♪ Where it Leads, No One Knows ♫

Balzac
09-26-2008, 09:56 AM
I'm not a fan of th peasant wagon (bus), but I love taking trains, they are much more relaxing.

Loony BoB
09-26-2008, 10:54 AM
The buses are fantastic in Edinburgh. Voted best bus company in Scotland 2006 and then the best in the UK 2007. :)

Marshall Banana
09-26-2008, 12:42 PM
I want to ride in a train! =O

Flying Mullet
09-26-2008, 01:22 PM
I live by Houston where we don't believe in public transportation.

Rantz
09-26-2008, 01:24 PM

Why, because you ride on COWS? :lol:

edczxcvbnm
09-26-2008, 04:22 PM
I take the train to work everyday. I work in the heart of Chicago so parking is crap. If I could afford to, I would probably drive everywhere. You get where you are going faster and can actually get to where you want instead of blocks and blocks away :P

rubah
09-26-2008, 04:37 PM

no, instead you believe in six lane highways, two HOV lanes, lots of parkways and ten mile gridlock every time there's a basketball game ;)

Peegee
09-26-2008, 05:19 PM
Don't tell anybody but I love public transportation. I like taking the bus and I really enjoy taking the subway.

Trains are okay but I don't really consider it public transportation since it goes from city to city, not inter-city. I don't get to see a slice of Toronto by going on the Amtrak to New York, for example.

All the same, I like talking about various topics while on Subways and in public. If I have the right person (ie if my brother isn't around, and somebody else is just as game), I can discuss the most bizarre, un-socially fitting topics.

And what do I care? Freedom of speech means I can do anything shy of denying the holocaust in Canada.

scrumpleberry
09-26-2008, 07:44 PM
lol @ snobs in thread. Public transport's pretty cool.

Vivisteiner
09-26-2008, 07:47 PM
Ive been transported in everything - buses, coaches, cars, bikes, ships, boats, trains, planes.

Public transport is alright during normal hours. But if you go round my station at late hours you're liable to getting stabbed. It was rated as the most dangerous station in England, apparently.

I cant believe some of you guys have never been on a bus before...

Kirobaito
09-26-2008, 07:55 PM
I've taken the train a few times, but no buses for me. I'm gonna have to learn, though.

Cz
09-26-2008, 09:19 PM
I like public transport. It's a little expensive in London, but the network's extensive and reliable. I don't think I'll ever buy a car unless I move out of town.

Dreddz
09-26-2008, 09:36 PM
Public transport is the bread and butter of my life. I take the train and tube everyday. Although the restrictive nature of Britain means I kind of have to with the congestion charge pissing everyone off in London. When will they notice it hasn't changed anything.

Shiny
09-26-2008, 11:07 PM
I like buses as opposed to trains. Subway train stations are usually unbearably hot and there's all these people crammed in trying to cop a feel. They even have the nerve to look me directly in the eye and breathe in my general direction! :freak:

Zeldy
09-27-2008, 12:01 AM
After having to get a bus every single morning to school for 5 years at 7 in a morning I really don't like getting buses anymore. I hate buses, I hate how they either don't turn up or just choose to skip, I hate how boring and crowded they are and how you never get a seat. I hate how the bus to my part of town only comes twice an hour, so if I just miss one, half an hour wait.

I don't like trains either, they're so boring. On the train to Manchester, after 5 minutes I'm going "ARE WE NOT THEREEE YETTT" and it only takes 40 minutes to get there.

I hate public transport, I wish we could just teleport.

Heath
09-27-2008, 12:05 AM
I spend half my life on public transport, it seems. As I don't drive and live a fair way from my friends, I have to depend on it. Part of the problem with living out in the country and not being able to drive. Much prefer trains to buses as they are more comfortable and tend to be much more reliable.

DMKA
09-27-2008, 12:23 AM
Public transportation in the States is awful in most cities and not available outside of the big ones.

Unlike you crazy Europeans and Asians, we decided to ditch our brilliantly-evolving railroads for the automobile. Which is why we're slaves to the gas pump now. ^__^

blackmage_nuke
09-27-2008, 06:55 AM
I really like trains, particularly when riding with friends but usually its just me watching the world pass by.

Im not really a fan of buses though and i dont consider Taxis as public transport.

Breine
09-28-2008, 08:00 AM
I don't have a drivers licence, so I have to take public transport quite often. Fortunately for me I have nothing against it at all, and I tend to like whatever kind of public transport.. be it train, bus or plane.

Big D
09-28-2008, 10:38 AM
The public transport down here in New Zealand is really http://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gif. Buses are often really late, or really early, or sometimes never even show up at all. And they break down. So every time we've had to take the bus I've been real anxious the whole time cause you never know what's going to happen.Your location says "Auckland", so it makes sense that you're on the receiving-end of the country's worst public transport.

If you were in a proper NZ city, like mine, you'd be enjoying busses that come every ten minutes, with a ticket that costs a couple of dollars and has a two-hour transfer on it. For the equivalent of loose change, you can get yourself anywhere in the city and back again reliably and comfortably. Not in Auckland though, 'cause it's a hole:monster:

Raebus
09-28-2008, 10:53 AM
lol @ snobs in thread. Public transport's pretty cool.

Old Manus
09-28-2008, 11:25 AM
Screw yall middle class elitists. Spend some time in Neath where you take the train and the bus everywhere until you're 20 years old and can afford a car with 2 months MOT

Akaria
09-28-2008, 10:12 PM
I love public transportation! Buses around here are usually clean and reliable, and the lightrail is lovely!:love: I just rode it for the first time last week. My buddy was laughing at me because I was so excited...

Aerith's Knight
09-28-2008, 11:03 PM
Buses and trains are free here, but I live 15 min of cycling from my Uni, so I just bike over there.

I Don't Need A Name
09-28-2008, 11:09 PM
ive had to use buses for the past 4 years to get to and from school & college. they're ok i guess, but most of the buses around my area are knackered.
Trains are pretty cool though. & the London Underground = win

Rianoa
09-29-2008, 11:23 PM
Bus there ace and take ages, its best on a night it was on the way to a party me and my two friends had the whole bus to our selfs and was late and we were already drunk. we were dancing about the bus and we thought it would be funny to wave at people from the front of the bus from the top .and the busses have really big window at the front top n i pretened to bum my friend at the front of the bus the people driving by looked up and where like :) > :eek: "Wtf?!!" Funiest bus journey ever :D

Jess
10-01-2008, 05:57 PM
I hate public transport. I like driving everywhere! :jess:

Randgris
10-02-2008, 02:55 AM
With the gas prices today, I don't think I'll ever buy a car. I'm used to riding public transpo anyways.

Moon Rabbits
10-02-2008, 04:20 AM
I'm seriously never ever buying a car. I'm going to live in downtown Toronto and take public transit everywhere because owning a car is like owning a separate family you have to constantly be feeding and taking care of. Screw that crap.

Pretty much. Also Toronto public transit is really efficient, imho.

I am on a bus at least 4 times a day (2 to school, 2 back), usually more because I go out after school ... so I average about 6 buses daily, maybe?

Also I make frequent visits to Toronto, so that's more busing / training / et cetera-ing.

I like public transit. I'd much prefer to sit back and read on a long trip than drive it myself. Also, the people on public transit can be funny / interesting / scary / entertaining / etc.