PDA

View Full Version : Accents

Zeldy
09-27-2008, 12:12 AM
I know there is always an accent thread, but they amuse me, so :jess:

Since starting sixth form college, it's pretty apparent that I have quite a strong accent (I've had like quite a few people come up to me going OH MY GOD, I KEEP SAYING ___ BECAUSE OF YOU). I say "like" alot, I don't pronounce "the" and I say "me" a lot, as well as speaking quite fast and having a general North West England accent. I apparently really drag out my words too xD

Someone will ask what subject I have next and I reply 'I've got Media, me". I never realised I said it, till this girl from Liverpool kept pointing out how many times I said it.

Discuss!

Aerith's Knight
09-27-2008, 12:19 AM
People in the US said that when they listened closely when I talked a lot, you could hear a slight Dutch accent.

Then again, I am Dutch, so no suprises there.

Leen-Leen
09-27-2008, 12:23 AM
I say "like" a lot too xD and apparently I laugh a little almost after everything I say, but I almost never notice it. xD

My friends say that my parents have a slightly Asian accent but I don't. D: I want a slightly Asian accent!

kikimm
09-27-2008, 12:27 AM
I have the standard, boring American accent. Yay.

I haven't been New Zealandized at all, except for the fact that I now have this compulsion to put ",eh?" at the end of everything I say. But I resist that urge.

Levian
09-27-2008, 12:53 AM
I have a neanderthal accent when I speak english.

Aerith's Knight
09-27-2008, 12:55 AM

It doesn't count as english if you just grunt and point at things. :p

kikimm
09-27-2008, 01:00 AM
It wasn't that bad, Levian.

theundeadhero
09-27-2008, 01:01 AM
When I drink my southern comes out.

Jiro
09-27-2008, 01:06 AM
There's no real foreigners around to tell me what I sound like. But I tend to speak really fast and quiet, and put "yeah?" and similar at the end of sentences

Miriel
09-27-2008, 02:35 AM
I have a Californian accent. It sometimes accidentally dips into surfer girl accent when I'm hanging out with certain people but I'm trying to check that.

POST RECORDING.

Psychotic
09-27-2008, 03:06 AM

POST RECORDING.Check this bad boy out. (http://forums.eyesonff.com/1021545-post56.html)

I have a standard English accent. I usually drop the t on the end of words like "what", but I don't drop it in the middle (eg "water" or "bottle") so I'm in between common and posh. Jess reckoned it was "midlands" but midlands means either brummie or "Ooh arr" and my accent is neither.

Shoeberto
09-27-2008, 03:29 AM
Midwestern US
"I'll use my credit-card!"

Rye
09-27-2008, 03:29 AM
I have the stereotypical "Noo Yoik" accent. It grows stronger depending on where I am and who I'm talking to, and if I'm calm or angry.

When I was in Manhattan with Huxley, it came back super strong. I was ordering a hot dog for him in front of the Museum of Natural History, and I was like "CAN AY AWDUH A HAHTDAWG WID MUSTUD?" and he was like "lol wut."

Rhode Island is poisoning my accent a bit because I've gone from the slightly nasally "clayssss" for class to a clear New England "clahss". Must work on retaining my accent.

Also, when I'm angry, it comes out like whoa.

Laddy
09-27-2008, 03:36 AM
I have a Chicago-ish accent, my dad's German and my mom's from Chicago, soI have the accent of my mom and mannerisms of my dad.

Jiro
09-27-2008, 04:01 AM
I had a ridiculous Northern English accent for a short time, thanks largely to spending time with two Englishmen. I'm starting to pick up little quirks and things because I think they sound cool, but some really aren't.

My friend Josh speaks exactly like Liam Gallgher (I think it's Liam), same stammer and everything :D

Miriel
09-27-2008, 04:07 AM

POST RECORDING.Check this bad boy out. (http://forums.eyesonff.com/1021545-post56.html)

Oh my god, I can't stop laughing. xD

Marshall Banana
09-27-2008, 04:13 AM
I have a southern accent, but it's not very obvious, I think. It wouldn't be noticeable at all, if I didn't have to speak vowels. =O

Momiji
09-27-2008, 04:20 AM
I never really thought I had an accent. I mean, even in the northern-midwest like myself, plenty of people talk like southerners and I don't sound anything like that.

The easiest way to say it is: I talk in the same way that I type.

Unless I'm mad.

Jiro
09-27-2008, 04:21 AM

Oh my god, I can't stop laughing. xD

xD

Madame Adequate
09-27-2008, 04:22 AM
I don't have a default accent. It changes according to where I am and who I am talking to. It weirded out Jess' friends because I don't have a British accent talking to them, for instance.

Spatvark
09-27-2008, 05:44 AM
My accent is a fairly typical southern english, but I have a bad habit of absorbing accents, if I'm hanging around people with distinct voices. I'll end up being all scottish, or welsh, or even indian, with prolonged exposure to their accents.

Shoeberto
09-27-2008, 06:07 AM
My accent is a fairly typical southern english, but I have a bad habit of absorbing accents, if I'm hanging around people with distinct voices. I'll end up being all scottish, or welsh, or even indian, with prolonged exposure to their accents.
I never said "ya'll" unless I was joking around until I came to college in the south.

Wolf Kanno
09-27-2008, 06:08 AM
I have a bad habit of absorbing accents, if I'm hanging around people with distinct voices. I'll end up being all scottish, or welsh, or even indian, with prolonged exposure to their accents.

I seem to do this too which I try to watch when I'm at work cause I don't want to seem like I'm insulting the customers... I run into a surprising number of foreigners and people whom english is their second language.

I don't quite know how my accent would be defined cause its not nearly as distinct as other regions of the States. I guess western? Though I've been told by quite a few people I have an English (some would say Boston) accent.

JKTrix
09-27-2008, 06:24 AM
Bermudians generally have a really distinct accent. Compared to most people my age, mine is rather mild, but if you heard me talk you would definitely hear it.

I *can* talk in the thick Bermudian accent, but it makes me feel stupid somehow :P but I think I have to adapt my accent to my location, because something that might sound normal to me, an american wouldn't be able to understand what I say because it's different.

If someone could give me somethin to read I could probably record myself. I'm pretty bad at spontaneous speaking.

Roto13
09-27-2008, 06:31 AM
Bermudians generally have a really distinct accent. Compared to most people my age, mine is rather mild, but if you heard me talk you would definitely hear it.

I *can* talk in the thick Bermudian accent, but it makes me feel stupid somehow :P but I think I have to adapt my accent to my location, because something that might sound normal to me, an american wouldn't be able to understand what I say because it's different.

If someone could give me somethin to read I could probably record myself. I'm pretty bad at spontaneous speaking.

"Oh bliss! Bliss and heaven! Oh, it was gorgeousness and gorgeousity made flesh. It was like a bird of rarest-spun heaven metal or like silvery wine flowing in a spaceship, gravity all nonsense now. As I slooshied, I knew such lovely pictures!"

JKTrix
09-27-2008, 07:03 AM
Well, I'm not much of an actor so excuse my dry delivery. Also, 3AM.

Wolf Kanno
09-27-2008, 07:06 AM
Well, I'm not much of an actor so excuse my dry delivery. Also, 3AM.

That was awesome! You have a cool voice JKTrix :cool:

Heath
09-27-2008, 08:35 AM
Around Scousers or family, my Liverpudlian accent comes out. Otherwise I've been told that I've got a fairly posh voice.

Sir Lancealot
09-27-2008, 09:21 AM
People have asked if I'm British before, so I assume I've a British accent. Odd, as I've never been out of Australia before.

Dr. Acula
09-27-2008, 09:23 AM
Like a lot of New Zealanders, my accent is very changeable. When I'm talking, my accent switches depending on who I'm talking to. My grandfather's from Yorkshire so when I talk to him my accent sort of becomes half-Kiwi half-English. Also, sometimes people think I'm mocking them because I copy people's accents when I'm talking to them.

I don't think my Kiwi accent is very strong.

Old Manus
09-27-2008, 10:45 AM
South West Wales accent. At least it's not as bad as North Wales, where you seriously cannot understand what they are saying when they speak English.

Krelian
09-27-2008, 11:21 AM
I've been told my German sounds very much like standard German with slight variations in vocabulary maybe.

It's different with English. I'm sure I have a German accent, I'm not so sure how strong it is. Though I learned British English in school it is now mixed with a mostly American pronunciation (standard American I think) due to much exposure from people I talk to, American TV shows and American movies.

I Don't Need A Name
09-27-2008, 11:24 AM
Northern english ftw
I dont particularly pronounce T's, i say 'easy' & 'like' way too much.
prime example of my accent:
theres a place around here called Scartho. we all pronounce it 'Scaffa'

Rocket Edge
09-27-2008, 11:48 AM
Psy :lol:

I have a strong country Irish accent. I never pronounce the end of words. :monster:

Spatvark
09-27-2008, 12:03 PM
South West Wales accent. At least it's not as bad as North Wales, where you seriously cannot understand what they are saying when they speak English.

Stupid gogs.

Rantz
09-27-2008, 12:06 PM
You'd probably hear I was from Sweden if you talked to me, although it's harder to notice when I'm calm and collected.

theundeadhero
09-27-2008, 01:39 PM
"Oh bliss! Bliss and heaven! Oh, it was gorgeousness and gorgeousity made flesh. It was like a bird of rarest-spun heaven metal or like silvery wine flowing in a spaceship, gravity all nonsense now. As I slooshied, I knew such lovely pictures!"Who wouldn't read that with a ridiculous accent instead of their own?

scrumpleberry
09-27-2008, 01:40 PM
I have a pretty neutral English accent, which I'm very happy with. It endears me to pretty much anyone because it lies and makes me seem awfully refined, intelligent and pleasant. At times it can be supar-pawsh or I can detiriorate into mangled semi-regional accent when I'm with friends or tired or excited or something. I think our regional accent is pretty awesome, tbh.

Rocket Edge
09-27-2008, 01:53 PM
It endears me to pretty much anyone because it lies and makes me seem awfully refined, intelligent and pleasant.
Mine makes me sound like I'm fresh from a farm. :(

Jess
09-27-2008, 02:16 PM
I have two accents. I have a Geordie accent, which I talk to my parents, brother, and anybody else from Newcastle in.

andddd, I have a neutral English accent. I speak really fast, which is why I don't speak in my Geordie accent 24/7 because otherwise nobody understands what I'm saying! I do try to slow down now. Daniel and Danielle said that I sounded posh xD andddd, people at work yesterday said that I don't sound 'Essex' to them at all and that I'm very well spoken. I never thought I was.

Rye
09-27-2008, 02:21 PM
@Spatty: I tend to absorb accents too. Since I'm on a college campus, there's not much of a difference because everyone speaks a different accent, but most of my friends here are from Providence, so I have been saying a few things like them now, ie: the New England "clahss" thing. xD

Dreddz
09-27-2008, 02:32 PM
I have a lower to middle class London accent with a splash of cockney British. The product of living between a bunch of housing estates and a football stadium.

Spatvark
09-27-2008, 02:48 PM
"Oh bliss! Bliss and heaven! Oh, it was gorgeousness and gorgeousity made flesh. It was like a bird of rarest-spun heaven metal or like silvery wine flowing in a spaceship, gravity all nonsense now. As I slooshied, I knew such lovely pictures!"Who wouldn't read that with a ridiculous accent instead of their own?

Me.

Spiffing Cheese
09-27-2008, 05:02 PM
I have a South Wales accent. Very slightly Nessa from Gavin and Stacey. xD

Zeldy
09-27-2008, 08:13 PM
I have a standard English accent. I usually drop the t on the end of words like "what", but I don't drop it in the middle (eg "water" or "bottle") so I'm in between common and posh.

I do that, water is just "wa'er'.

Montoya
09-27-2008, 09:33 PM
I have a California accent. :mog: The slang I use is mixed from the Los Angeles and Bay areas. I use Duuuude and liek a lot, but my slang is mild compared to a lot of people here where I live.

Heath
09-27-2008, 09:42 PM

Stupid gogs.

*Compulsory return banter here* Not that I am Welsh, but I've lived in North Wales for 13 years, so I may as well be.

Rikku_Yuffie_girl
09-28-2008, 02:58 AM
I sound like a boring American :[

Yar
09-28-2008, 03:06 AM
Midwestern Accent. Basically the accent that you would hear news anchors and journalists speak with on TV in the US.

Many anchors have to take Midwestern accent classes. It is a very clear and pronounced accent of English.

Rye
09-28-2008, 03:56 AM
That's what Midwestern accent is? Then why do some people from the midwest have that weird accent where it's all nasally twangy and they put "ooooo"'s into their words. Like, instead of school being pronounce "s-kool" it's pronounced like "sk-uuueeel". =o

Yar
09-28-2008, 03:58 AM
That's what Midwestern accent is? Then why do some people from the midwest have that weird accent where it's all nasally twangy and they put "ooooo"'s into their words. Like, instead of school being pronounce "s-kool" it's pronounced like "sk-uuueeel". =o

If you're talking about what I think you're talking about, that's the Minnesotan accent. And, yes, while Minnesota is in the Midwest, it's still it's own accent. Same with Chicago. :p

rubah
09-28-2008, 04:25 AM
Being in the Army, I run into a lot of weird accents, some of them Cyrillic.

Momiji
09-28-2008, 04:49 AM

Because that's some, not all. :p

Mo-Nercy
09-28-2008, 05:05 AM
In the past, I've been told that I had a slight American accent. No doubt a result of years and years of my childhood spent watching The Simpsons.

I don't think I have it anymore though. I speak non-rhotically now :D The letter R is for losers.

I've always lived in Australia, and I've always known OF the vernacular, slangs and sayings but I've only recently began to use them naturally. I think it's because of a recent influx of Aussie friends. I also dabbled in linguistics in the beginning of my time at university so I can actively tell the difference between the Aussie accent and other forms of English. So when I want to, I think I can do a pretty good job of going to and from a strong Aussie accent and my old American-ish one.

My lecturer spoke Boston English btw. What an awesome accent. I was reminded of it when I watched The Departed earlier this week.

Fate Fatale
09-28-2008, 05:09 AM
I have the lack of accent that many people around me have. It's a eastern mid-west thing, or so I hear. I, at time, pick up a British tone in my voice on accident. I'm not entirely sure where it came from, but it's there.

Laddy
09-28-2008, 03:17 PM
I have a nasty habit of pronouncing pause iIs a British accent.

XP

I also never use slang, ever. I also avoid the horrible abyss that is Southern terminology.

Jings
09-28-2008, 03:21 PM
I have the stereotypical "Noo Yoik" accent. It grows stronger depending on where I am and who I'm talking to, and if I'm calm or angry.

When I was in Manhattan with Huxley, it came back super strong. I was ordering a hot dog for him in front of the Museum of Natural History, and I was like "CAN AY AWDUH A HAHTDAWG WID MUSTUD?" and he was like "lol wut."

Rhode Island is poisoning my accent a bit because I've gone from the slightly nasally "clayssss" for class to a clear New England "clahss". Must work on retaining my accent.

Also, when I'm angry, it comes out like whoa.

I have just returned from a two week holiday to Florida and New York and I must say, New Yorkers have the greatest accents ever! Most of the people I met didn't seem to have this accent though, did I just have terrible bad luck or do only certain parts of the city have it?

All the subway drivers had it though, which was fun when they screamed 'You have to be on the first five trains to go to South Ferry!'. The driver of my particular train shouted this, in increasing volume, about five or six time. It was awesome.

Anyway I have a pretty strong Scottish accent, had to tone it down a couple of notches for the Americans.