PDA

View Full Version : Is this optical illusion a set-up or not?

Serapy
09-27-2008, 09:11 PM
Take a look at this illusion - The Spinning Dancer (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Spinning_Dancer).

It's amazing how it works. If the dancer is spinning in clockwise and if you focus your mind to think that the dancer is spinning in counterclockwise, she will change her direction.

It's hard to believe, I know. Is this truly a great optical illusion or a fake?

Roto13
09-27-2008, 09:16 PM
I've seen that before but it always looks like she's spinning counter clockwise to me.

Fujiko
09-27-2008, 09:46 PM
that skull is only spinning clockwise o_o

Blue Harvest
09-27-2008, 09:48 PM
It just depends on how you look at her. I've seen her spinning both clockwise and counter-clockwise.

louby_4eva
09-27-2008, 10:23 PM
I can only see clockwise.....I'm going to keep watching it until I get it to go the other way, nice way to waste a few hours :D :D :D

EDIT: Did it :D :D :D

Smile and Be happy :love:

kikimm
09-27-2008, 10:31 PM
I can only see clockwise. I've only been trying for a few minutes but already I feel....

OKay what the hell I swear to god I just saw HER change her own direction. >=(

Montoya
09-27-2008, 10:33 PM
I only see it clockwise. I even tried it with my eyes closed, and still no counterclockwise.

Arc_Master_14
09-27-2008, 10:36 PM
yea same here she was going one way then I looke awaay cuz my mom called me and she switched

scrumpleberry
09-27-2008, 10:41 PM
It is. Someone posted this a few years ago. The image does randomly change to one spinning in the other direction: it's not real. I know because I watched it intently for like an hour or so (lolsessive) and it happened about 3 times.

edit: WELL THAT'S WHAT I THOUGHT A YEAR AGO I GUESS I WAS WRONG

GODDAMMIT WHY DO I FAIL SO FUCKING MUCH

erikramza
09-27-2008, 10:41 PM
every time i unfocused my eyes while looking at it, she changed directions..?

i like it!

Levian
09-27-2008, 10:42 PM
I can't make her turn no matter what I do with me eyes. Stupid rotating bitch.

Montoya
09-27-2008, 11:02 PM
I can't make her turn no matter what I do with me eyes. Stupid rotating bitch.

My thoughts exactly, nothing happens.

Peegee
09-27-2008, 11:03 PM
she spins back and forth for me. Because I can control it.

It's a very fun optical illusion.

rubah
09-27-2008, 11:51 PM
I just watched for a while and then I realized she'd got on her right foot to pivot instead of her left, and then it just kinda went to hell in a handbasket and I had to stop watching.

Psychotic
09-27-2008, 11:55 PM
It is. Someone posted this a few years ago. It wasn't even one year ago! (http://forums.eyesonff.com/general-chat/110425-hey-your-brain.html) Enjoy having people saying you should be banned for posting a nipple, Serapy!

But yeah I can pretty much control the way she spins. It's cool.

scrumpleberry
09-27-2008, 11:58 PM
It is. Someone posted this a few years ago. It wasn't even one year ago! (http://forums.eyesonff.com/general-chat/110425-hey-your-brain.html) Enjoy having people saying you should be banned for posting a nipple, Serapy!

WELL YOU'RE JUST FREAKISH AND CAN REMEMBER EXACTLY HOW LONG AGO PEOPLE POSTED THINGS AND YOU GOT RID OF YOUR PIGGY, YOU RAT BASTARD, SO SUE ME.

Comet
09-28-2008, 12:00 AM
What the hell? How did that happen?

Serapy
09-28-2008, 12:12 AM

I sincerely am sorry! I didn't even know of that existence! I used the search function before creating this thread. I searched for "The Spinning Dancer Optical Illusion" but nothing relevant shows up, so hence this thread! Grrrrrrrr :p

Psychotic
09-28-2008, 12:22 AM
Oh no don't worry about making the thread :laugh: The other one has been dead for a long time. I was trying to remember where I'd seen it before, then I remembered I was the one to post it, haha.

blackmage_nuke
09-28-2008, 12:30 AM
I can control her. Thats more than I can say with real women though

scrumpleberry
09-28-2008, 12:31 AM
HE WON'T EVEN FACE UP TO HIS CRIME. WHAT HAPPENED TO PIG IN BOOTS? DID YOU KILL HER?

Psychotic
09-28-2008, 12:31 AM
Yes.

Miriel
09-28-2008, 12:32 AM
NIPPLE!!!! *ban hammer*

Blue Harvest
09-28-2008, 12:32 AM
He cooked and ate her for breakfast.

scrumpleberry
09-28-2008, 12:33 AM
your days are numbered.

CimminyCricket
09-28-2008, 12:37 AM
I can do it every so often, so which way is she really spinning?

cloud_doll
09-28-2008, 01:35 AM
first she was spinning clockwise and then I went to read the about it and how she mioght turn or whatever then all of a sudden she twitched or something and was spinning counterclockwise and I haven't been able to get her back to clockwise andcg tehnea iseijvsmm ij AHHH!!!

I really hate this thing.

Momiji
09-28-2008, 01:42 AM
she spins back and forth for me. Because I can control it.

It's a very fun optical illusion.

Yeah, I can change its direction at will too! :D

theundeadhero
09-28-2008, 01:47 AM
I sincerely am sorry! I didn't even know of that existence! I used the search function before creating this thread. I searched for "The Spinning Dancer Optical Illusion" but nothing relevant shows up, so hence this thread! GrrrrrrrrDefend the double thread but not the nipple. SO BANNED!

Yar
09-28-2008, 03:15 AM
I have no idea how people are "controlling it with their mind." I only see her spinning in one direction.

kikimm
09-28-2008, 03:37 AM
That is because it is only spinning in one direction.

Mo-Nercy
09-28-2008, 12:00 PM
Oh god, I was just about to say:

"I can only see clockwise"

But as I opened up an MSN window to my girlfriend to paste her the link, my unfocused eyes saw that she was in fact spinning counter-clockwise!

*X-Files music*

Serapy
09-28-2008, 12:08 PM
Yeah, I was distracted by some noise in the background and then I looked at her again; she changed her direction!

There's something wrong with this stuff, seriously!

Old Manus
09-28-2008, 12:12 PM
if you're having trouble changing direction, look at her shadow instead

Rantz
09-28-2008, 12:15 PM
I don't see why it would be a set-up. The page explains it quite thoroughly, that it lacks visual depth clues and hence could be perceived as being seen either from the top or the bottom, which changes which leg you perceive to be which, and this in turn decides what direction she is spinning in.

Big D
09-28-2008, 12:16 PM
Goodness that's brilliant.
Want to make her change direction?
Use your hand to cover everything except her head. Watch and wait for a few moments, or look away and back again. Her head should seem to be going in the opposite direction. Remove your hand, and the rest of her will have followed suit.

It's one of those illusions that's so simple it's amazing. I love this kind of stuff.

:edit: damn, it's hard for me to see her going anticlockwise, she keeps reverting back to clockwise unless I mentally focus extremely hard.

Rantz
09-28-2008, 12:46 PM
I couldn't resist implementing some visual aids in a side-by-side comparison just to see the effect. I painstakingly added "eyes" (freaky ones, I know) going two different ways. It's much easier to see the direction like this.

http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/5339/dancinggirllp9.gif

Also notice how both "change direction" when you follow the eyes of one of them. :)

Jiro
09-28-2008, 12:52 PM
I can control the direction, fairly easy too. But it starts hurting my eyes after a while, so that's no fun :D

Leen-Leen
09-28-2008, 01:42 PM
xDD before i was able to change the way she was spinning pretty easily, but it's hard now.

and also, rantzien's picture hurts my eyes whenever i focus on it. and now it's ALWAYS changing direction! D: the eyes! the eyeeeeees!

scrumpleberry
09-28-2008, 01:48 PM
I can see them both moving in their respective directions at the same time. She moves clockwise normally for me.

Jiro
09-28-2008, 01:54 PM
If you don't look at the head, it's very easy. But when I look at the whole body, she only spins one direction. Stupid optical illusions hurt my head now :D

EDIT: Now I can't get it to work at all...

Serapy
09-28-2008, 03:42 PM
I'd start a petition: encouraging SquareEnix's developers to render optical illusions mixed with thier games' visual plots. Now, that would be a great idea. Massive mental-confusion ftw? :p

NeoTifa
09-28-2008, 06:09 PM
fake. im reading the article and i notice something out of the corner of my isnt the same. its the animation changing direction. she even changes her foot. its a scam

theundeadhero
09-28-2008, 06:55 PM
It's not a scam.

What's really messed up is using Rantzien's double picture post and seeing one of them move clockwise while the other moves counter-clockwise.

silverbow
09-29-2008, 03:30 AM
Yeah it's not a setup, the thing is in actuality only rotating one way but because it is turned into a 2 dimensional image and there is nothing telling you which side you are looking at it can appear to spin one way or another just depending on how you look at it. Look at Rantzien's pair cover one head and they both appear to spin the way the other one is, cover the other head and they appear the opposite.

I looked at the individual frames thinking I could spot a flaw that would give it away like the toes. But just when I think that the foot I'm seeing has to be a left foot, I realize that if it were a right foot and you were seeing it from the back instead of the front, it would look exactly the same. So for example look at a frame where the arms are on either side of her. Is the girl facing you or has she got her back to you? You can see her thumbs, but are the thumbs in front of her hand or behind? It is impossible to tell because either way it would look exactly the same when you make it into a silhouette like this. It really is ingenious for someone to figure this out though.

What's really funny is that our brain can't figure this out. It can't see the thing as something that isn't spinning one way or the other. It has to just pick a direction that makes sense at the time and assume that it is turning that way, and once it is, it's freaking hard for you to convince it otherwise without looking away.

Jessweeee♪
09-29-2008, 07:23 PM
I can always make her change directions right away, but then I have trouble turning her back xD

Værn
09-29-2008, 08:00 PM
I just look away from it for a second. When I focus on something else and only see it with my peripheral vision, it looks more like back-and-forth movement than a spinning motion. It looks kind of like she's skating rather than dancing. If I look back as the foot sweeps to the right, she spins clockwise; if I look as it sweeps to the left, she spins counterclockwise. Meow~