PDA

View Full Version : Lani Can Bitchslap Me Anytime

Forsaken Lover
09-27-2008, 10:20 PM
YouTube - Final Fantasy IX - Lani (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFTQlRsJiL0)

You know you want it.

Or maybe you don't.

Do you?

Mirage
09-27-2008, 11:03 PM
What's the point of this thread? Showing people how to beat Lani?

Forsaken Lover
09-28-2008, 12:00 AM
No. Just a random spaz thread about whether or not people here liked Lani. I thought she was cute and deserved more screentime.

Rostum
09-28-2008, 12:20 AM
Her and Beatrix can dominate me any day of the week.

Old Manus
09-28-2008, 12:27 AM
She can take my pendant if you know what I mean

arcanedude34
09-28-2008, 01:57 AM
She can... have sex with me... if you know what I mean.

Spatvark
09-28-2008, 02:21 AM
FFIX was horrid for giving characters screen time, really. Zidane, Garnet and Vivi got it all, with some development for Steiner thrown in every now and then, but pretty much everyone else got jipped. For example, my favourite character was Freya, who really didn't get much screentime at all. The whole Sir Fratley subplot was barely there, and that was all she really had. Burmecia and then Cleyra get destroyed, and we don't really get to see how Freya feels about it all. Beatrix at least gets some development, wondering whether she's truly on the right side, and finally making a decision to turn against Queen Brahne. Lani on the other hand, didn't even get that. Really, she was just a one-note villain, and she wasn't even very good at that when it came down to it. Just a waste of a character.

Big D
09-28-2008, 06:48 AM
Lani seemed to have the potential to be a really interesting character, especially given her past dealings with Amarant. But like Spatvark says, she's effectively a throwaway villain who hardly features.

I like her 'hidden scenes' with the Moogles at Madain Sari (accessible during disc 4) and her cameo during the game's ending - but I had to watch the ending twice before I could be certain it was actually her.

Fate Fatale
09-28-2008, 07:19 AM
I'd really like for Square to make a remake of this (along with VII and VIII) for the DS or something and do some major additions to character development. IX is my favorite, but, as it's been said, some of the characters got very little screen time while the first four got the most.

Heath
09-28-2008, 10:50 AM
I agree entirely with Spat on the lack of screentime for most of the characters. And it's a pity because there were some interesting characters in there that would've benefitted from more development. Shame.

In all honesty, I never really thought about Lani that much because she doesn't feature a great deal. Did wonder about her history with Amarant which isn't really explained greatly.

felfenix
09-28-2008, 03:19 PM

No... No, I don't... please explain.

arcanedude34
09-28-2008, 05:32 PM

Well, ya see... ah... when a man and a woman love each others' bodies VERY much... I'll tell you when you're older.

Goldenboko
09-28-2008, 08:48 PM

Well, ya see... ah... when a man and a woman love each others' bodies VERY much... I'll tell you when you're older. physically... outside of a bar :shifty:

Forsaken Lover
09-28-2008, 10:01 PM
Actually in this regard, it's more like.
When a man loves a load of pixels made to resemble a woman very, very much, that man has to spend several minutes alone in his bedroom or bathroom lest he make his keyboard sticky.

And that's what goes on for many years before he actually finds a real woman who isn't made of pixels whow will have sex with him.

LunarWeaver
09-29-2008, 07:10 AM
Poor Lani :( Not much time for her. With Beatrix around to be sexy incarnate, she just wasn't that impressive. But with some of your own party members getting pretty average screen time, I can't say I would expand her part more over theirs or anything.

Depression Moon
09-29-2008, 03:19 PM
Lani was alright like people said she was just a one off villain, but could have had more time. I didn't really think that all the characters didn't have enough screen time even Quina had some development in her character like at the end and at the return to Quan's dwelling.

Roogle
09-29-2008, 06:33 PM
Lani was a very obscure character to me. Like others have said, I felt that she lacked the necessary screentime to make an impression upon most players.

Rostum
09-29-2008, 11:52 PM
Sure, a lot of the characters could have had more screentime, but really the main characters were developed fine throughout the game. I mean there's only so much they can fit in until they start overloading with information and trying to cram too much in -- after all they still need to follow structure within the story.

A good example, even though I love the game, is that most people complain about Chrono Cross for trying to cram in so many characters and develop them too much.

However, in saying that, I will agree that Lani would have benefited more with further screentime and development. When I first played I thought she'd really have something deep with Amarant, and it would have been nice to explore that.

arcanedude34
09-30-2008, 12:26 AM
I'm trying to think of a good example of a Final Fantasy that gave all characters enough screen time and significance in the story... I guess X, but that's somewhat of a stretch.

Big D
09-30-2008, 01:22 AM
I'm trying to think of a good example of a Final Fantasy that gave all characters enough screen time and significance in the story... I guess X, but that's somewhat of a stretch.VII does it for me. All the main, playable characters have a significant back-story that gets fleshed out pretty well, with scenes and side-quests that provide details and insights into what they're really fighting for. They each get their share of time in the spotlight, and each have a crucial role to play - which is one of the reasons it's my favourite title in the series.

Roogle
09-30-2008, 11:26 PM
A good example, even though I love the game, is that most people complain about Chrono Cross for trying to cram in so many characters and develop them too much.

I feel that the sentiments concerning Lani are different than the sentiments concerning Chrono Cross. Chrono Cross had far too many characters that could not hold a story or a story arc on their own and many were of little substance in character design and concept: Turnip and Mojo among others.

NeoCracker
10-01-2008, 08:33 AM
I'm trying to think of a good example of a Final Fantasy that gave all characters enough screen time and significance in the story... I guess X, but that's somewhat of a stretch.VII does it for me. All the main, playable characters have a significant back-story that gets fleshed out pretty well, with scenes and side-quests that provide details and insights into what they're really fighting for. They each get their share of time in the spotlight, and each have a crucial role to play - which is one of the reasons it's my favourite title in the series.

Yeah, VII did do better about fleshing out the backstories, my only issue is they weren't really all that interesting to me. :p (Cid Being the exception. I think he is easily one of FF's best Characters, even though the rest of the game wasn't quite up to par with the awesome. :love:)

Though yeah, IX could have benefited from fleshing out the character stories more, even if only a little. :p

Suvious
10-01-2008, 12:26 PM
One character, Marcus, was very interesting, he was the under-dog hero who featured every now and then and I would've loved to have seen development on him and Tantalus.

Bolivar
10-02-2008, 03:19 AM
I kinda like how IX had a large cast, a diverse and colorful lot who each make for memorable events, that's what RPGs are all about to me.

Lani was great. It would've been cool to have her as a recurring villain, though, like the Black Waltz's and such.

Quindiana Jones
10-02-2008, 11:00 AM
Cool axe.

aquatius
10-12-2008, 10:36 AM
I thought she was a stupid bitch with a stupid weapon that will give her back problems

G13
06-14-2009, 02:37 AM

YES!

Screw Lani, I want Garnet!

Rantz
06-14-2009, 01:07 PM
This thread is old. You can make a new thread if you have something to add to the subject, but please don't drag up old threads like this one.