PDA

View Full Version : Summa Cum Laude Diploma

Fate Fatale
09-28-2008, 05:46 AM
Does your school offer this? It seems that my school in the only one in my state to offer it and people getting it with graduation is a rare occurrence. Probably 6 or 7 out of 300 per class graduate with it. It's a high honor for colleges to see you graduating with it, but does it even really matter?

Here are the requirements at my school:
Average grade of C+ or higher in all credits.
Must have 3 credits in English12-AP and 3 credits in either AP Calculus or AP Probability and Statistics.
Must have taken at least 3 AP Examinations in 3 different subjects.
Student must also complete a "Senior Project"; completed before May 30 of their graduating year.

The reason for the 3 credits is because my school in on a trimester system (three sets of 12 weeks) and most core classes are only two trimesters long.

rubah
09-28-2008, 05:48 AM
no. My school only had honors. Some other schools around here had high honors in addition to that

XxSephirothxX
09-28-2008, 06:07 AM
We just had honors too. I guess it could look good on a college application, but it probably wouldn't mean dick after that. I doubt any employer would care that you graduated from high school with super honors.

Kirobaito
09-28-2008, 01:02 PM
We had Magna Cum Laude and Summa Cum Laude. Magna Cum Laude was for 4.00-4.25 GPA, and Summa was for 4.251-5.0. We probably had about 10% of our class of 300 end up Summa cum Laude.

But we also had, like, "Graduating with Distinction" or something like that that seems a bit more like your deal. Certain requirements about the amount of English classes taken, 4 years of math, 3 years of science, 3 years of a foreign language, but I think we had an option of either taking 4 AP classes scoring at least a 4, OR a senior project. Nobody did the senior project, and I'd say 15-20 of us ended up graduating with it.

Hambone
10-08-2008, 04:56 AM
Yeah, we have Summa Cum Laude.

I believe the requirements are:

5 Math Credits (Alg. 1 & 2, Geometry, Precal and an additional course)
5 Science Credits (Bio, Chemistry, Physics, and 2 additional courses)
4 Social Studies Credits
4 English Credits
3 Foreign Language Credits
1.5 P.E. Credits
1 Technology Credit
1 Fine Arts Credit
.5 Credit in Health
.5 Credit in Speech
6.5 Credits in Other Classes (Electives)

I think that comes out to 32 credits. They also need to graduate with 4 "Advanced Measures" (4 AP exams with grades of 3 or higher, 2 college courses with a 3.0 GPA, a two-year science project, National Merit Scholar just to name a few).

I'm following the DAP (Distinguished Achievement Program) which requires the 4 Advanced Measures, but only 28 total credits. I only need 4 sciences and 4 maths, and only 4.5 elective credits.

A shockingly large percent of kids graduate under the Summa in my district. It makes Hambone feel inferior.

Fate Fatale
10-09-2008, 10:32 PM
I'm curious how your school works. It just seems very... awkward with the credits. Are you on semesters?

~*~Celes~*~
11-06-2008, 06:02 PM
As far as I know, there's graduating with honors and that's it.

I was just a normal graduate =[

Vermachtnis
11-06-2008, 06:16 PM
We had an Advanced Studies Degree.

Let's see you needed like a C average in:
3 Years of Honors English or 1 Year of Adv. Comp.
4 Years of Math (IE Algebra 1, Geometry, Algebra 2, PreCalc/Trig, Calc)
3 Years of One Language or 2 Years of Two
3 Sciences
2 Years of Gym/Health
2 Years of Fine Arts
and maybe some other stuff. I can't remember

And I got it! And where I took a business course each year I got another business sticker on my diploma too! With all that crap going on, know wonder my social life in High School sucked. More than make up for it now though. But it was fun though. I miss High School.

OH BTW we had a 7 course a day school year.

Aerith's Knight
11-06-2008, 08:48 PM
I think my Uni lets you graduate cum laude if you only have 8 or higher as final grade. But you can't compare to that, because US school systems are.. well.. easier. Lots n lots easier.

It's so hard that nobody actually graduates like that, except for maybe one or two odd-balls. Here we don't care about how you graduated, just that you did. :p

Companies look at your Uni level(kids are split into groups by intelligence after primary) anyway, not at your grades.