PDA

View Full Version : Nerd vs. Critic

Forsaken Lover
09-29-2008, 01:40 AM
YouTube - Nostalgia Critic vs The AVGN : The Last Showdown Build Up !!! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45bxUSFIbc0)

While SpoonyExperiment was my first glimpse into game reviews, I still love AVGN and the NC. All three guys are funny for their own style of comedy IMO and I have enjoyed the little "feud" between Walker and Rolfe.

Remember, October 10th. Mark that day in your calendar.

Markus. D
09-29-2008, 02:05 AM
I like Critic More :p!

Because alot of the time he doesn't come out and say that it's simply "crap" straight up and makes it alot more enjoyable for me personally because he's that guy with teh glarses.

edit: btw! Is there a new forum rule that allows free swearing or something? the past two videos I've seen on here have totally had a fair share of profanity...

Roto13
09-29-2008, 02:25 AM
Linking it profanity is allowed, I'm pretty sure. Though there should probably be a warning.

Bunny
09-29-2008, 03:25 AM
Warning: The world isn't sunshine and happiness, nor puppy dogs or kitty cats. Bad words are not bad, they are words, so stop making such a big deal about them. Hearing the F-Bomb a few dozen times or having a case of the poopies isn't going to turn anyone into a rapist or a murderer. Stop living in a happiness bubble.

I'll watch the video in a minute and probably forget about this post afterwards.

Markus. D
09-29-2008, 03:34 AM
Warning: The world isn't sunshine and happiness, nor puppy dogs or kitty cats. Bad words are not bad, they are words, so stop making such a big deal about them. Hearing the F-Bomb a few dozen times or having a case of the poopies isn't going to turn anyone into a rapist or a murderer. Stop living in a happiness bubble.

I'll watch the video in a minute and probably forget about this post afterwards.

I don't agree with that. But I don't wanna get off-topic so :p

Annnyways, I'm sorta excited to see where this playfight will go :p!

Rostum
09-29-2008, 05:41 AM
These guys are not cool, nor funny.

Forsaken Lover
09-29-2008, 08:24 AM
You're still in that whole "Hating things a lot of people like is cool" phase I see.
Don't worry. As you mature you'll make peace with the fact your solitary opinion means absolutely nothing to the world.

Rostum
09-29-2008, 08:33 AM
You're still in that whole "Hating things a lot of people like is cool" phase I see.
Don't worry. As you mature you'll make peace with the fact your solitary opinion means absolutely nothing to the world.

Just because I don't find them funny? You shouldn't assume anything. This is a forum, a place to post up ones own opinion, why do you need to make a statement like that? Because I'm not conforming my opinions to the majority of the board? Please, go get a life.

Markus. D
09-29-2008, 08:48 AM
These guys are not cool, nor funny.

I agree with that in the case of AVGN, however... Guy with the glasses has made some epic sattire parodies and some pretty meaningful videos for me to keep interest.

Forsaken Lover
09-29-2008, 09:20 AM
Just because I don't find them funny? You shouldn't assume anything. This is a forum, a place to post up ones own opinion, why do you need to make a statement like that? Because I'm not conforming my opinions to the majority of the board? Please, go get a life.

Yeah damn those conformists! I mean it's not like the majority are what make society, culture, laws, government, what really matters... Oh wait, yes it is.
I have a life and anyone who recognizes their place in the world also has a life. What you're doing is basically defying what governs the world and you're accomplishing nothing by doing it. So if everything you type is an act of total futility, you would appear to have no life.

But I'll be fair. I too had no life for about 4-5 years. In those years i hated Final Fantasy VII. It was popular and I didn't get why so i lashed out against it. However I had a realization a short while back. Me hating on the game does nothing. It's totally and utterly pointless.
So I made my peace. I think what I do and don't voice out how much I dislike FFVII because I realize I'm unimportant to the whole.

I agree with that in the case of AVGN, however... Guy with the glasses has made some epic sattire parodies and some pretty meaningful videos for me to keep interest.

You do realize Rolfe made what NC is doing popular, right? He's the founding father of pretty much every popular internet reviewer in this day such as Spoony, Armake and of course Critic.
He also retains the most popularity and recognition which further puts him above the rest.

Needless to say he's cool and funny on a whole other level.

Markus. D
09-29-2008, 09:35 AM

You do realize Rolfe made what NC is doing popular, right?

That may be the case, however I discovered "NC" as Guywiththeglasses, I just think that AVGN ragefaces a tad much... sure he reviewed some glitchy games, but some also had fine amounts of "smurfing hard!"-ness (At which point he just caves in and says "SMURFING SMURFLY SMURFABLICIOUS SMURF!").

and uhhh, perhaps Omecle jumped to a bit of an early conclusion but~ you guys should just get along. You're both reminding me of a nice version of Cbc Vs Myself.

Ouch!
09-29-2008, 10:17 AM

Yeah damn those conformists! I mean it's not like the majority are what make society, culture, laws, government, what really matters... Oh wait, yes it is.
I have a life and anyone who recognizes their place in the world also has a life. What you're doing is basically defying what governs the world and you're accomplishing nothing by doing it. So if everything you type is an act of total futility, you would appear to have no life.

But I'll be fair. I too had no life for about 4-5 years. In those years i hated Final Fantasy VII. It was popular and I didn't get why so i lashed out against it. However I had a realization a short while back. Me hating on the game does nothing. It's totally and utterly pointless.
So I made my peace. I think what I do and don't voice out how much I dislike FFVII because I realize I'm unimportant to the whole.
I love how you pick out Omecle's use of the word conform and warp it to peg him as a nonconformist. Way to take things out of context.

For the record, I don't think AVGN or the Nostalgia Critic are very humorous either. I'm going to throw that out there because--guess what!--I can. That's what a discussion is for, right? Sharing opinions? Just because mine doesn't line up with yours doesn't mean you need to get butthurt over it, chief. Take a deep breath and relax.

Rostum
09-29-2008, 10:23 AM
Way to totally twist my words, Forsaken Lover, as what you are discussing has absolutely nothing to do with this topic or what I am talking about. So basically, in a discussion forum, where we discuss our own opinions, I am not allowed to have an opinion on something because others find it good? Because it won't make a difference? What difference could I possibly be wanting in expressing my dislike for something? It isn't a matter of hating it for the sake of hating it, I don't like it because it is juvenile humour that I am not fond of. What is so wrong about that?

I don't hate things for their popularity, end of story. If you don't like my opinion there is no need to attack me, seriously.

Big D
09-29-2008, 11:05 AM
Yahtzee would pwn both these guys with his sweet hat, but it still should be a pretty funny showdown. I've seen some of their material - wouldn't say I'm a fan, but they've both made me chuckle once or twice.

Forsaken Lover
09-29-2008, 11:28 AM
Way to totally twist my words, Forsaken Lover, as what you are discussing has absolutely nothing to do with this topic or what I am talking about. So basically, in a discussion forum, where we discuss our own opinions, I am not allowed to have an opinion on something because others find it good?

Now who's twisting words?

I never said you couldn't think what you do. I just said it was wrong and why.

I can't stop you from thinking it or even typing it.

What difference could I possibly be wanting in expressing my dislike for something? It isn't a matter of hating it for the sake of hating it, I don't like it because it is juvenile humour that I am not fond of. What is so wrong about that?

Well now you've made an actual critique and those can be readily destroyed while a pure opinion is beyond my ability to disprove.

"Juvenile humour" you say? Well I can only guess you mean things that are only funny to adolescents. Well that's obviously not true as there are tons of fans of AVGN and of the ones I know, all of us are adults.
Yes James swears and Walker is spastic...neither of those characteristics are unique to "juvenile humour". Sure James does do jokes about fecal matter but again, that only really plays a part in a couple of his vids. Well it's actually there (well a prop resembling it is there) but other times he just says it a lot. Yet his act consists of more than that. It involve sa lot of props, special effects, acting and it all comes together.

But feel free to judge what is and what is not "juvenile humour."

I don't hate things for their popularity, end of story. If you don't like my opinion there is no need to attack me, seriously.

I have nothing against you personally. Your life is your life and none of my business. I also do not mean to attack or offend you on the personal-level. However you did attack something I like and when you say something someone disagrees with, you are open for a counter. I will not resort to namecalling like you dumb fag or whatever because that stuff is below me. All I'm trying to do is stick up for a person and artist I respect.
i'm sorry if I came off as harsh. I get a little riled up but I try to keep my attitude in check.

I love how you pick out Omecle's use of the word conform and warp it to peg him as a nonconformist. Way to take things out of context.

Well maybe I was unfair. Let's take a trip to Google to find out.
Type in "nonconformist definition" and...
define:nonconformist - Google Search (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&defl=en&q=define:nonconformist&sa=X&oi=glossary_definition&ct=title)

Gasp. What is this?
"not conforming to some norm or socially approved pattern of behavior or thought"

Well, see, that's what I thought it meant from the start. And what did he say originally?
"Because I'm not conforming my opinions to the majority of the board?"

So I warped what he said by...saying exactly what he said. I warped his words by calling him what he is.
You've got me now!

For the record, I don't think AVGN or the Nostalgia Critic are very humorous either. I'm going to throw that out there because--guess what!--I can. That's what a discussion is for, right? Sharing opinions? Just because mine doesn't line up with yours doesn't mean you need to get butthurt over it, chief. Take a deep breath and relax.

So...your defense is "everyone has an opinion you suck for attacking mine"? How...unoriginal.
And yes, this is what a discussion is for; you make an opinion or statement and have it challenged. Yet it seems you're not receptive to that particular aspect of a discussion. Your version of a "discussion" is we all say our pieces and live happily ever after. Sorry to burst your bubble but if you say an opinion, everyone and their mother has a right to challenge it.

Yahtzee would pwn both these guys with his sweet hat, but it still should be a pretty funny showdown. I've seen some of their material - wouldn't say I'm a fan, but they've both made me chuckle once or twice.

I haven't gotten into him yet. I've heard he's inspired by Spoony and that's all.

Rostum
09-29-2008, 11:35 PM
I can't be bothered reading all of that, but what the hell is your point? All I said is that I don't find these guys funny. I don't even understand why you consider me wrong in thinking so or why you are even trying to debate about it? Are you just angry that I don't like something you do? Just because you know adults who like that humour doesn't mean I don't think it's still lame and childish.

I agree with Big D, Yahtzee is a lot better.

Edit: All right I'll guess I'll reply some.

I have nothing against you personally. Your life is your life and none of my business. I also do not mean to attack or offend you on the personal-level. However you did attack something I like and when you say something someone disagrees with, you are open for a counter. I will not resort to namecalling like you dumb fag or whatever because that stuff is below me. All I'm trying to do is stick up for a person and artist I respect.
i'm sorry if I came off as harsh. I get a little riled up but I try to keep my attitude in check.

I didn't attack something you like, I had an opinion about something you like. It's your problem if you want to get angry and start shooting me down like you have been. Life hint: Not everyone is going to like the same thing you do! You can try "sticking up" for them, but there's no need, I'm sure they can deal with people not liking their stuff.

So...your defense is "everyone has an opinion you suck for attacking mine"? How...unoriginal.
And yes, this is what a discussion is for; you make an opinion or statement and have it challenged. Yet it seems you're not receptive to that particular aspect of a discussion. Your version of a "discussion" is we all say our pieces and live happily ever after. Sorry to burst your bubble but if you say an opinion, everyone and their mother has a right to challenge it.

I'll stick up for Ouch. You do suck for attacking an opinion. Simple. Everyone is allowed their opinions and you you can tell people that you don't agree with them, but that's not really what you are doing. You are attacking people who don't like the same thing as you do -- this is why I told you to get a life, and why you completely contradict yourself with assuming that I am "hating" because it's "cool" or whatever.

Anyway, I'll say it again. Why the hell are you trying to argue about this? It's just some nerds on YouTube who are trying to be funny. Some people like it, some people don't. So why are you so intent on proving that our opinions suck? (Which they don't, if you actually bothered to have a reasonable discussion you'd know why we don't like it)

arcanedude34
09-30-2008, 12:18 AM
Forsaken Lover, what's your problem? It's been made abundantly clear that he was just stating his opinion, and he should be able to do so without being attacked. Seriously, you're acting like a troll here.

And there is a distinct difference between challenging someone's opinion and acting like an angry fan boy and going off on a rant nobody cares enough to read. Just... drop it.

Forsaken Lover
09-30-2008, 03:08 AM
Forsaken Lover, what's your problem? It's been made abundantly clear that he was just stating his opinion, and he should be able to do so without being attacked. Seriously, you're acting like a troll here.

Troll (Internet) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_(Internet))

Maybe you missed what I wrote while you were cheering on the sidelines but everything I said was on-topic and a fact. I replied to what he said. Get over it.

And there is a distinct difference between challenging someone's opinion and acting like an angry fan boy and going off on a rant nobody cares enough to read. Just... drop it.

A rant you say? Well I did post a few simple facts but no ranting yet.
Here's a small rant then for you.
The majority of people on the internet have opinions and that's it. They hav eno reasoning, brains or logic. Just opinions. Under the current climate of ppressive "everyone can say their own piece because it's just an opinion" absolute morons are allowed free reign. Narcissists and punk teenagers are misled into thinking their views mean something to the rest of the world when it's blatantly obvious they don't. People should learn that their opinions are there to be challenged and through that challenge they can refine their views or even drop the ludicrous ones.

There you go; a nice little rant. See how that's way different from my other post where I kept everything simple and on-topic?

I can't be bothered reading all of that, but what the hell is your point? All I said is that I don't find these guys funny. I don't even understand why you consider me wrong in thinking so or why you are even trying to debate about it? Are you just angry that I don't like something you do? Just because you know adults who like that humour doesn't mean I don't think it's still lame and childish.

Except what you think doesn't mean mucha nd won't change anything. That's all I'm debating.

I agree with Big D, Yahtzee is a lot better.

Having watched all of his vids on Escapist, I did laugh a lot. However there's no denying his humor is derived as much from his accent and funny foreign words as AVGN derives his humor from foul jokes and swearing.

I'll stick up for Ouch. You do suck for attacking an opinion. Simple. Everyone is allowed their opinions and you you can tell people that you don't agree with them, but that's not really what you are doing. You are attacking people who don't like the same thing as you do -- this is why I told you to get a life, and why you completely contradict yourself with assuming that I am "hating" because it's "cool" or whatever.

An opinion can be wrong. That's fact.

Seriously you all are getting more worked up about this than I am. I regard this whole thing as a bit of a joke and here you all are jumping on me for pointing out the obvious truth just because you don't like it.

Markus. D
09-30-2008, 03:45 AM
Just chill you guys... and get back on topic :D?

I wonder what they'll be fighting about/with :]

and! if someone will make a "Nerd Vs Critic in 5 seconds" :D!!!

arcanedude34
09-30-2008, 03:57 AM
Forsaken Lover, what's your problem? It's been made abundantly clear that he was just stating his opinion, and he should be able to do so without being attacked. Seriously, you're acting like a troll here.Troll (Internet) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_%28Internet))

Maybe you missed what I wrote while you were cheering on the sidelines but everything I said was on-topic and a fact. I replied to what he said. Get over it.

And there is a distinct difference between challenging someone's opinion and acting like an angry fan boy and going off on a rant nobody cares enough to read. Just... drop it.A rant you say? Well I did post a few simple facts but no ranting yet.
Here's a small rant then for you.
The majority of people on the internet have opinions and that's it. They hav eno reasoning, brains or logic. Just opinions. Under the current climate of ppressive "everyone can say their own piece because it's just an opinion" absolute morons are allowed free reign. Narcissists and punk teenagers are misled into thinking their views mean something to the rest of the world when it's blatantly obvious they don't. People should learn that their opinions are there to be challenged and through that challenge they can refine their views or even drop the ludicrous ones.

There you go; a nice little rant. See how that's way different from my other post where I kept everything simple and on-topic?

I can't be bothered reading all of that, but what the hell is your point? All I said is that I don't find these guys funny. I don't even understand why you consider me wrong in thinking so or why you are even trying to debate about it? Are you just angry that I don't like something you do? Just because you know adults who like that humour doesn't mean I don't think it's still lame and childish.Except what you think doesn't mean mucha nd won't change anything. That's all I'm debating.

I agree with Big D, Yahtzee is a lot better.Having watched all of his vids on Escapist, I did laugh a lot. However there's no denying his humor is derived as much from his accent and funny foreign words as AVGN derives his humor from foul jokes and swearing.

I'll stick up for Ouch. You do suck for attacking an opinion. Simple. Everyone is allowed their opinions and you you can tell people that you don't agree with them, but that's not really what you are doing. You are attacking people who don't like the same thing as you do -- this is why I told you to get a life, and why you completely contradict yourself with assuming that I am "hating" because it's "cool" or whatever.An opinion can be wrong. That's fact.

Seriously you all are getting more worked up about this than I am. I regard this whole thing as a bit of a joke and here you all are jumping on me for pointing out the obvious truth just because you don't like it.
...? Um... I'm not cheering, I'm just thinking that you launched an unprovoked attack against Omecle. People are allowed to have opinions, they can be wrong, yes, but not in a subject like this, where a person's sense of humor is involved. You come off as very bitter to me, and seem to want to start fights for no reason (which is trolling by the way)

If you really have a problem with people stating their opinions, get off the forums. That what forums are. They're places where people can go to discuss opinions on certain issues. And, to be frank, I don't see any difference between your little rant and the rest of your posts, other than you acknowledged the above one was a rant.

I don't think Omecle ever said that his(?) opinions had any meaning, but was only expressing them. I get the feeling you're just a fan of one or the other, or both, of the two people and can't accept that there are people who don't like them. I myself never found them that funny, although, they do get an occasional chuckle out of me.

And as for us jumping at you, was that before or after you verbally insuled Omecle by calling him(?) immature and saying he's (?) just hating on AVGN and NC just because everyone else likes them with no evidence to back that claim up whatsoever? I'm going to go on record sayingI'm the first person here who suggests we all just move along with our lives...

KoShiatar
09-30-2008, 10:43 AM
Please stay cool, and don't let the discussion degenerate, ok?

theundeadhero
09-30-2008, 11:14 AM
She's right.

Forsaken Lover, Omecle posted an opinion. You attacked it because it wasn't the same as yours. There's no reason for it so stop it.

Omecle, arguing about it is driving this thread off topic. Might as well stop.